Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

For Marshall Fans
Bookmark and Share
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
For Marshall Fans
I am going to take off work and make the short drive from Lexington to watch WKU take on Marshall in basketball on Tues. night Nov. 25th...

A few questions, I assume I can just go and get tickets right before game, correct? Is their usually a vistor section? Have no clue how many WKU fans would be at that game, but I guess would be a few... Where do you guys recommend I go for pregame, looking for a bar and good food...Also any hotels you guys recommend for staying that night close by? Thanks for any help you can provide..I am looking forward to the first of many trips I will be making to Huntington....

One more ?, I know it will probably be slow on a Tues. night and Thanksgiving WEek, but anything to do after the game, any bars or sights to see after game?
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 09:30 PM by WKUFan518.)
10-20-2013 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HerdAlum83 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
RE: For Marshall Fans
Yeah I'd say you should be able to just get a ticket the day of the game.. and there usually is a visitor's section right behind the visitor's bench.. As far as food/bar you have to go to Fat Patty's great burgers and some killer drink specials.. Hotel I recommend the Holiday Inn its located right next to Pullman Square which is a little shopping and dinning complex that also holds a movie theater.. After the game it just depends on what kind of scene your looking for me personally I'm a little too hold for the dance club scene now so I frequent places like the Jug and Kilt, Tap House, or Union
10-20-2013 09:42 PM
HerdFan_n_WV Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
You probably won't be able to buy lower bowl tickets. Usually already taken up by our season ticket holders. Unless you can buy through your schools site you might have a chance.
10-21-2013 05:58 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Buy through WKU,they will have tix for the visitors section. If you must by at the gate, just ask for tix in the visitors section if available, they may have some.
10-21-2013 08:01 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
Stay in Barboursville next to the mall. A LOT more hotel and restaurant choices. Ten minute drive to the game. Fifteen tops. There's a Fat Patty's up here, too, that is much less crowded. And, I own a sports bar/pub/nightclub up here that, unlike most places downtown, has a decent crowd on the weeknights. Bout 2 miles from the mall. Students will be on break, but I don't cater to them for the most part. I'll take care of ya, man. :)

Huntington sucks when the kiddies are on break, and most of the other times, too.

If you're driving in and going right to the bar and game, then downtown Fat Patty's or Giovanni's is your best bet. I'd still hotel at the mall. It's right on I-64.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 09:15 AM by MUther.)
10-21-2013 09:10 AM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2013 09:10 AM)MUther Wrote:  Stay in Barboursville next to the mall. A LOT more hotel and restaurant choices. Ten minute drive to the game. Fifteen tops. There's a Fat Patty's up here, too, that is much less crowded. And, I own a sports bar/pub/nightclub up here that, unlike most places downtown, has a decent crowd on the weeknights. Bout 2 miles from the mall. Students will be on break, but I don't cater to them for the most part. I'll take care of ya, man. :)

Huntington sucks when the kiddies are on break, and most of the other times, too.

Oh ok thanks man, also thanks for all the responses...I know I have some time, but definitely looking forward to making the trip...Is there anywhere to stay within walking distance of arena, or is this pretty much a car drive to anywhere?

Also if cannot walk how is parking on weeknight on campus or will school be out of session that week since its Thanksgiving Week?

Is this hotel decent and how far from arena?

http://bookings.hotelguides.com/zcom/hot...iption=AAA double riverside high-speed Internet free coffee and bottled water.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 09:28 AM by WKUFan518.)
10-21-2013 09:14 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(10-21-2013 09:14 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 09:10 AM)MUther Wrote:  Stay in Barboursville next to the mall. A LOT more hotel and restaurant choices. Ten minute drive to the game. Fifteen tops. There's a Fat Patty's up here, too, that is much less crowded. And, I own a sports bar/pub/nightclub up here that, unlike most places downtown, has a decent crowd on the weeknights. Bout 2 miles from the mall. Students will be on break, but I don't cater to them for the most part. I'll take care of ya, man. :)

Oh ok thanks man, also thanks for all the responses...I know I have some time, but definitely looking forward to making the trip...Is there anywhere to stay within walking distance of arena, or is this pretty much a car drive to anywhere?

Also if cannot walk how is parking on weeknight on campus or will school be out of session that week since its Thanksgiving Week?

Is this hotel decent and how far from arena?

http://bookings.hotelguides.com/zcom/hot...iption=AAA double riverside high-speed Internet free coffee and bottled water.

The Holiday Inn they mentioned is 10-12 blocks on the same avenue, about a mile. They may run a shuttle but you'd have to ask. The one you picked is 2-3 blocks closer but is pretty run down. Not recommended.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 09:36 AM by MUther.)
10-21-2013 09:34 AM
Hank Rearden Offline
Bench Warmer

You will not be able to get lower bowl tickets on game day. Buy from WKU and you have a better chance. Otherwise you'll be in the nosebleeds.

Hotel: There's a brand new (2 months old) Hampton Inn & Suites off the Hal Greer Blvd interchange on I-64, and right beside it is a newish (2 years old) Marriott TownPlace Suites. Those are your best options. 5 minutes from campus, and 7 minutes from downtown.
10-21-2013 09:47 AM
fedale Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MARSHALL
(10-20-2013 09:27 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  I am going to take off work and make the short drive from Lexington to watch WKU take on Marshall in basketball on Tues. night Nov. 25th...

A few questions, I assume I can just go and get tickets right before game, correct? Is their usually a vistor section? Have no clue how many WKU fans would be at that game, but I guess would be a few... Where do you guys recommend I go for pregame, looking for a bar and good food...Also any hotels you guys recommend for staying that night close by? Thanks for any help you can provide..I am looking forward to the first of many trips I will be making to Huntington....

One more ?, I know it will probably be slow on a Tues. night and Thanksgiving WEek, but anything to do after the game, any bars or sights to see after game?

You could get tickets the day of, but depending on how we're doing, you might get tickets up in Herd Heaven(or Herd Hell as I call it) because it's normally really hot up there.

[Image: camhenderson.jpg]

This is what it looks like from the bottom rows of Herd Heaven(It's GA, first come, first serve)

Definitely pregame at Fat Patty's right next to the Cam Henderson Center it's a restaurant during the day, and more like a bar during the night. Giovanni's across the road also has a nice little bar and good food.

El Ranchito is right there too and they have some pretty good drink specials as well if you like Coronaritas.

Here's a mini-map

[Image: D4UyR2o.jpg]

After the game you're going to want to go to The Union or St Marks... St Marks is a bit of an older crowd(at least to me), but always people there watching college basketball and having a good time.

Both are walking distance from Pullman Plaza or Holiday Inn.

Hope this helps.
10-21-2013 09:51 AM
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2013 09:51 AM)fedale Wrote:  
(10-20-2013 09:27 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  I am going to take off work and make the short drive from Lexington to watch WKU take on Marshall in basketball on Tues. night Nov. 25th...

You could get tickets the day of, but depending on how we're doing, you might get tickets up in Herd Heaven(or Herd Hell as I call it) because it's normally really hot up there.

[Image: camhenderson.jpg]

This is what it looks like from the bottom rows of Herd Heaven(It's GA, first come, first serve)

Definitely pregame at Fat Patty's right next to the Cam Henderson Center it's a restaurant during the day, and more like a bar during the night. Giovanni's across the road also has a nice little bar and good food.

El Ranchito is right there too and they have some pretty good drink specials as well if you like Coronaritas.

Here's a mini-map

[Image: D4UyR2o.jpg]

After the game you're going to want to go to The Union or St Marks... St Marks is a bit of an older crowd(at least to me), but always people there watching college basketball and having a good time.

Both are walking distance from Pullman Plaza or Holiday Inn.

Hope this helps.

Yea I am 33, so definitely in the older crowd....Like the idea of walking or taking shuttle from Holiday Inn...So St. Marks would be good than? Do you guys sell out most games, I just assumed I could mostly sit anywhere I wanted to on a weeknight game during Thanksgiving Week...Am I wrong on this? All the tips have been great thought, appreciate it...
10-21-2013 10:05 AM
fedale Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MARSHALL
(10-21-2013 10:05 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Yea I am 33, so definitely in the older crowd....Like the idea of walking or taking shuttle from Holiday Inn...So St. Marks would be good than? Do you guys sell out most games, I just assumed I could mostly sit anywhere I wanted to on a weeknight game during Thanksgiving Week...Am I wrong on this? All the tips have been great thought, appreciate it...

St Marks or Union would both be fine.

Union might be more fun, depending if you're social.

I'm honestly not sure about sitting wherever you want... We don't get a lot of regional OOC games, so the ones we do actually sell pretty well(Morehead, Akron, Ohio). I would assume you're going to only be able to get Herd Heaven seats and like I said it's GA so if you get there about 30 mins before tipoff you should have a decent seat.

Lower Bowl will be full and partially into the upper bowl, maybe all of it too. But if you're going to get tickets in the upper bowl, you might as well save money on and try to get the first few rows of HH, there's not a big difference except for ones a bleacher and the other is a chairback.
10-21-2013 10:13 AM
ARandomHerdFan Offline
User Banned

I'm beginning to think that our fanbase hates every other fanbase in the conference.

Why else would they keep recommending Fat Patty's?
10-21-2013 11:14 AM
asonofmarshall Offline
1st String

WKUFan -- I would also recommend buying your tickets through WKU if possible. They get the proceeds, and you'll be guaranteed to sit with other Topper fans.

Food: I would say Giovanni's over Fat Patty's -- even though I love Fat's -- just because Fat's will inevitably be more crowded. El Ranchito is okay, but I wouldn't eat there before a game.

Hotel: If you're gonna stay downtown, stay at the Holiday Inn. Pullman Plaza is nice, but it's also fallen from the glory it once was.

Bars: St. Mark's and Union are probably more your style since you're in your 30s. Union sometimes gets a little crazy because a lot of "alumni" go there to relive the college days. St. Mark's is a little more low key and have several big screens with games on.

Glad to see you're coming in. Not sure if I will be able to make it to that one or not -- being a teacher sometimes sucks. Especially during basketball season. Lol.
10-21-2013 11:36 AM
Advertisement

SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
I like Fat Patty's but its not the end all be all of food. The burgers are OK. I actually like the Black and Blue burger from MU HOF better.
To eat, head to MU HOF, or Jewel City Seafood - about 5 blocks from MU campus on 4th Avenue. If you liike fresh fish, they fly it in each day. The Blackened Flounder is very good. jmo.

Don't stay at the Pullman Plaza. As mentioned, the Hamtpon Inn and Suites off I-64 and Hal Greer is nice and new. The Holiday Inn Downtown is fine. Nothing spectacular but it should work and right across the street from MU HOF and down the street from Pullman Square.
10-21-2013 12:16 PM
Hank Rearden Offline
Bench Warmer

The best bar in Huntington is right beside St. Marks: Jockey Club. 25-40 year old crowd, nicely appointed, and recently renovated. Always a great crowd on weekends, but not sure about weekdays.
10-21-2013 02:01 PM
MUTeke Offline
All American

I Root For:
For Marshall Fans
I second the Jockey Club. It's a horse racing themed bar between St Marks and The Frederick Hotel Building. The Union is a good choice too.
10-21-2013 03:58 PM
asonofmarshall Offline
1st String

Jockey Club isn't really all that great. It's small, crowded, and overpriced.

St. Mark's and Union would definitely be better places to go.
10-21-2013 03:59 PM
Advertisement

asonofmarshall Offline
1st String

Other places to check out if you're spending the night:
- Memorial Fountain on campus. It will be turned off by then, but is still a must visit place on our campus.
- Spring Hill Cemetery not too far from campus out 20th Street where there is another memorial, as well as the final resting place for 6 1970 team members plus Nate Ruffin, who was a member of the 1970 team that did not travel to ECU and was an instrumental player for the 1971 Young Thundering Herd. It's a very serene, quiet, and beautiful place.
10-21-2013 04:05 PM
Irish Rowdy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
(10-21-2013 04:05 PM)asonofmarshall Wrote:  Other places to check out if you're spending the night:
- Memorial Fountain on campus. It will be turned off by then, but is still a must visit place on our campus.
- Spring Hill Cemetery not too far from campus out 20th Street where there is another memorial, as well as the final resting place for 6 1970 team members plus Nate Ruffin, who was a member of the 1970 team that did not travel to ECU and was an instrumental player for the 1971 Young Thundering Herd. It's a very serene, quiet, and beautiful place.

I went to both places when I was in town for the UTSA game. I feel it is something you have to do when visiting Marshall.
10-21-2013 06:23 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(10-21-2013 10:05 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  I just assumed I could mostly sit anywhere I wanted to on a weeknight game during Thanksgiving Week...Am I wrong on this? All the tips have been great thought, appreciate it...

It just depends on how we are doing. You will be our 7th game and the way our schedule is we could actually be 6-0 coming into the WKU game. We will almost be a brand new team, 9 new players that have never played for Marshall this year.

The Henderson Center only holds 9K and we have been avging 6500 for the last few years. The lower bowl only holds 4200 and get snapped up first.

I love the Henderson Center but I hope soon that we get our projects going on now, done. And a Baseball stadium. So we can hopefully concentrate on building a new Basketball arena.
10-21-2013 11:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.