Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Expansion
Bookmark and Share
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Conference Expansion
Figure I will start in this forum so it doesn't have to be moved.

I don't have a problem with not having 12 teams since we gain financially from doing so but I still wonder about our options to add to or subtract from our membership.

First of all, it appears JMU is not in the picture so if we wanted to balance things with another team out east just who could we get? If we don't add a team in the east should we give Idaho a chance to find another home and go with ten football and hopefully 12 basketball (NMSU)?

If there is someone in the east we could use to balance then who could we get in the west if Idaho were not in the picture? I prefer Missouri State but I have no idea how serious they are about moving up.

I have been checking out Lamar and they have done a lot to upgrade their facilities and are in a great spot for the western teams.

Jacksonville State just doesn't do it for me as they are okay but not enough to make me want a third team in AL.

We all seem to agree that despite their resources, facilities and geography we are not interested in Liberty.

It would be nice if there were some attractive options in the east so we could get one more there and consider the future of the western division.
10-18-2013 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pike51 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Conference Expansion
(10-18-2013 01:43 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  Figure I will start in this forum so it doesn't have to be moved.

I don't have a problem with not having 12 teams since we gain financially from doing so but I still wonder about our options to add to or subtract from our membership.

First of all, it appears JMU is not in the picture so if we wanted to balance things with another team out east just who could we get? If we don't add a team in the east should we give Idaho a chance to find another home and go with ten football and hopefully 12 basketball (NMSU)?

If there is someone in the east we could use to balance then who could we get in the west if Idaho were not in the picture? I prefer Missouri State but I have no idea how serious they are about moving up.

I have been checking out Lamar and they have done a lot to upgrade their facilities and are in a great spot for the western teams.

Jacksonville State just doesn't do it for me as they are okay but not enough to make me want a third team in AL.

We all seem to agree that despite their resources, facilities and geography we are not interested in Liberty.

It would be nice if there were some attractive options in the east so we could get one more there and consider the future of the western division.

Plenty of people do not agree, but EKU would not be a bad option.
10-21-2013 11:50 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
How do we gain financially? Each team still gets $1M right? I thought it was 1M per team upto 12 teams. If a conference has 8 members it gets $8M. Now from a NCAA basketball or TV revenue sharing yes, but the SBC is minimal in basketball and TV is geared towards more potential viewers so more members increases footprint for viewers so it evens out.

So.... am I misinformed?
10-21-2013 11:55 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
oh and why is JMU totally off the table? Just wondering if I missed something.
10-21-2013 11:58 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-21-2013 11:58 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  oh and why is JMU totally off the table? Just wondering if I missed something.

Just wishful thinking from points West. The last thing UL or TxSt needs is another school darn near in Europe.
10-22-2013 10:50 AM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Eastern Division
Appalachian State
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
North Alabama ?
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division
Arkansas-Little Rock/Idaho*
Arkansas State
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Texas-Arlington/New Mexico State*
Texas State

* - football only
11-06-2013 03:58 AM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(11-06-2013 03:58 AM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  Eastern Division
Appalachian State
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
North Alabama ?
South Alabama
Troy

Western Division
Arkansas-Little Rock/Idaho*
Arkansas State
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Texas-Arlington/New Mexico State*
Texas State

* - football only
I don't think we need another team from AL but we do need someone that fits in the East.

That Western division is not bad but man, that Idaho trip is just such a stretch.
11-06-2013 11:29 AM
lcitsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: sports
(10-21-2013 11:58 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  oh and why is JMU totally off the table? Just wondering if I missed something.

According to private reports, James Madison is not interested in joining the Sun Belt. They are more interested in joining C-USA.
11-06-2013 01:49 PM
1st String

I Root For:
I just hope that Idaho will come to their senses and have their football team re-join the Big Sky where they belong.
11-10-2013 03:21 AM
1st String

I Root For:
I think UAB deserves a demotion from Conference USA and join the Sun Belt, but that's not going to happen.
01-12-2014 04:50 AM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Conference Expansion
(01-12-2014 04:50 AM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  I think UAB deserves a demotion from Conference USA and join the Sun Belt, but that's not going to happen.

^
Troll.
Coosa is a demotion from sun belt in FB at this point. Sorry you haven't figured that our yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-13-2014 12:49 AM
Advertisement

Phlipper33 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas A&M
What about Lamar? I know when they restarted their football program a few years ago they were wanting to go FBS, and were trying to join the WAC when it was still a football league. That being said, I haven't heard anything about them since the WAC fell apart. I don't know much about the school and the fact that the WAC never did invite them probably says quite a bit though.

One other option I'd really to see would be for UT-Arlington to restart their football program. That seems to be on the backburner right now though. They are one of the biggest universities to not have a football team.
01-14-2014 08:57 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(11-06-2013 01:49 PM)lcitsh Wrote:  

According to private reports, James Madison is not interested in joining the Sun Belt. They are more interested in joining C-USA.

Most people are more interested in joining the SEC.
JMU is much closer to schools in cusa and even the mac, so makes sense.
01-15-2014 12:17 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-14-2014 08:57 PM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  What about Lamar? I know when they restarted their football program a few years ago they were wanting to go FBS, and were trying to join the WAC when it was still a football league. That being said, I haven't heard anything about them since the WAC fell apart. I don't know much about the school and the fact that the WAC never did invite them probably says quite a bit though.

One other option I'd really to see would be for UT-Arlington to restart their football program. That seems to be on the backburner right now though. They are one of the biggest universities to not have a football team.

Any and all Southland additions are being blocked.
01-15-2014 12:26 AM
1st String

I Root For:
Who would you like to have back? Jacksonville or New Orleans.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 03:14 PM by David Krysakowski.)
04-04-2014 03:14 PM
lcitsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: sports
(04-04-2014 03:14 PM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  Who would you like to have back? Jacksonville or New Orleans.

Neither are an option for the Sun Belt.
04-04-2014 04:45 PM
Advertisement

1st String

I Root For:
How about this 9 schools for football and 12 for basketball? How about adding a non football playing school to the eastern division? Would you consider adding Florida Gulf Coast or North Florida?
04-20-2014 04:01 PM
1st String

I Root For:
How about Kennessaw State? They just beat Alabama in baseball.
06-03-2014 03:14 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
(04-20-2014 04:01 PM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  How about this 9 schools for football and 12 for basketball? How about adding a non football playing school to the eastern division? Would you consider adding Florida Gulf Coast or North Florida?

Well let's see, Kennesaw State had one .500 season in basketball during their transition period and has yet to make the A-Sun tournament. They've had three basketball coaches in 8 years and typically finish last.
North Florida has been at best a .500 team in basketball, and usually isn't competitive.
FGCU, Dunk city had the great run and all that, but overall they've not been great in basketball. I think I'd wait and see how their new coach does in years two and three, especially with Mercer and ETSU gone, and Lipscomb wanting in the OVC.
06-03-2014 08:31 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Eastern Kentucky seems like the only Eastern team that
many could get on board with.
06-04-2014 04:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.