Fox and PAC12 at odds over FS1 scheduling
10-17-2013 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Fox and PAC12 at odds over FS1 scheduling
There's been a lot of buzz about this. My guess is that by next season Fox and ESPN will limit the number of 7 pm starts each team has to have at home, to accommodate ticket-buying fans unhappy with 7 pm starts. But Fox isn't going to back off on putting the best games on FS1, because they really, really need to draw eyeballs to FS1 to build up the channel. (Fox and ESPN are paying a combined $3 billion for these TV rights over 12 years, so obviously they get to use those rights in the way they think is going to make them the most money in the long run.)

Showing Oregon-Washington on FS1 instead of FOX broadcast paid off for them, because it got the best rating they've had for any game on FS1, and higher ratings (even though on cable instead of broadcast) than the Baylor-Kansas State game they showed at the same time on FOX broadcast:

Quote:In other cable action, the Oregon/Washington game earned a 1.3 overnight on Fox Sports 1 — easily the network’s highest college football overnight. Oregon/Washington topped the Baylor/Kansas State game on FOX (1.0) head-to-head.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/10/...beats-fox/
10-17-2013 10:49 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Normal jostling between league and TV for the most part.

The interesting question is how does the Big 10 view this. They've got top tier rights up for bid for 2017 and beyond and "Big Fox" I would think would be a huge sales point to get them into the Fox line-up.
10-17-2013 11:14 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
I don't really understand what FS is trying to do with their programming lineup. They start the day with CFB on FS1 and racing on FS2 then during prime time they move racing and fighting onto FS1. Maybe they think there is some opportunity for carryover viewers from CFB to NASCAR, but they should have known that the PAC is not a NASCAR demographic.

If they want to try and introduce other FS programming to the larger football-viewing demographic, they should just do teasers. Take 15 minutes to show the green light of a race or opening bell of a fight then switch back to football while continuing the race/fight on FS2.

They have to realize that the average CFB viewer is watching several games at once and as soon as you depart from CFB, you're likely not to get the viewer back.
10-17-2013 11:22 AM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
"But it’s a bad deal for Pac-12 fans (especially families with kids), and it’s terrible for the league because so much of the action starts at 10 p.m. (or later) on the east coast."

Speaking as a resident of the mighty EST (America's greatest time zone)--I've been loving having a couple of late Pac-12 games to look forward to, and I'm watching more of that league than ever this year. Now I'm the kind of Saturday-loving freak who stays up to watch Hawaii night games so results may not be typical, but still.
10-17-2013 11:23 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-17-2013 11:14 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Normal jostling between league and TV for the most part.

The interesting question is how does the Big 10 view this. They've got top tier rights up for bid for 2017 and beyond and "Big Fox" I would think would be a huge sales point to get them into the Fox line-up.

My guess is not very well. For all of the talk about the BTN, remember that those are still (for the most part) monetizing lower 2nd tier/3rd tier games. The Big Ten still wants a broad audience for its 1st tier/high 2nd tier games and ABC/ESPN still provides the best combo for that. Moving a game from ABC to ESPN isn't really a big deal in terms of exposure in this day and age. As of now, though, there's a huge dropoff between Fox and FS1.
10-17-2013 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2013 11:31 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 11:14 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Normal jostling between league and TV for the most part.

My guess is not very well. For all of the talk about the BTN, remember that those are still (for the most part) monetizing lower 2nd tier/3rd tier games. The Big Ten still wants a broad audience for its 1st tier/high 2nd tier games and ABC/ESPN still provides the best combo for that. Moving a game from ABC to ESPN isn't really a big deal in terms of exposure in this day and age. As of now, though, there's a huge dropoff between Fox and FS1.

The real issue (and the one that Fox will have to overcome in trying to land a Big Ten contract) is the dropoff between ESPN and Fox.

Fox is struggling to draw viewers to their CFB games on both FOX and FS1, compared to ESPN and ABC where casual fans are already in the habit of turning to watch the games. If the money is equal, then getting your games on a mix of ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 will get you a lot more viewers than having the same games on a mix of FOX/FS1.

Fox needs to find some way to bring in a lot more viewers over the next year or so, or otherwise they're going to have an uphill climb convincing the Big Ten to give Fox a big chunk of their CFB inventory.
10-17-2013 11:38 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

If I'm in Delany's shoes or those of a Big 10 AD or president, what I want is a nationally cleared, coast-to-coast game at 3:30 Eastern like the SEC has. Big 10 sort of has that with the ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 regional shuffle (the game is on SOME CHANNEL coast-to-coast it just varies which one by region) but it's not quite the same as knowing where you are in every market, and I want the big stage at night (which B1G has gotten quite a bit).
10-17-2013 11:41 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-17-2013 11:41 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

If I'm in Delany's shoes or those of a Big 10 AD or president, what I want is a nationally cleared, coast-to-coast game at 3:30 Eastern like the SEC has. Big 10 sort of has that with the ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 regional shuffle (the game is on SOME CHANNEL coast-to-coast it just varies which one by region) but it's not quite the same as knowing where you are in every market, and I want the big stage at night (which B1G has gotten quite a bit).

I think that's a very reasonable point.

I think the one thing that FS1 is going to be fighting big time is the perception that they are a UFC channel. They air so much UFC that it's too much. I think there's a good portion of the population that is still turned off to it. FS1 has to get more mainstream sports I believe.
10-17-2013 11:46 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-17-2013 11:23 AM)justinslot Wrote:  "But it’s a bad deal for Pac-12 fans (especially families with kids), and it’s terrible for the league because so much of the action starts at 10 p.m. (or later) on the east coast."

Speaking as a resident of the mighty EST (America's greatest time zone)--I've been loving having a couple of late Pac-12 games to look forward to, and I'm watching more of that league than ever this year. Now I'm the kind of Saturday-loving freak who stays up to watch Hawaii night games so results may not be typical, but still.

I used to like to watch the Hawaii games when I was in the Central Time Zone. But in the eastern time zone, its just an hour too late.
10-17-2013 11:48 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-17-2013 11:38 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

The real issue (and the one that Fox will have to overcome in trying to land a Big Ten contract) is the dropoff between ESPN and Fox.

Fox is struggling to draw viewers to their CFB games on both FOX and FS1, compared to ESPN and ABC where casual fans are already in the habit of turning to watch the games. If the money is equal, then getting your games on a mix of ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 will get you a lot more viewers than having the same games on a mix of FOX/FS1.

Fox needs to find some way to bring in a lot more viewers over the next year or so, or otherwise they're going to have an uphill climb convincing the Big Ten to give Fox a big chunk of their CFB inventory.

They may also have trouble convincing their management to pay what it will take to get the top tier of the Big 10 if they can't get ratings up.
10-17-2013 11:50 AM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
I don't watch much network TV but did watch one prime-time FOX show this week and was surprised not to see any FS promos. Granted there's probably not a lot of demographic overlap between New Girl and UFC, but I can't be the only CFB fan who doesn't refuse when my wife asks me to watch Zoey Deshanel.
10-17-2013 12:01 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
You guys know Fox Sports 1 isn't even 3 month old yet right? Of course they don't have the ratings or viewers yet, THE CHANNEL ISN'T EVEN 3 MONTHS OLD YET!!!

The B1G would and could easily have a clause that they have a set # of games at a certain time on Fox Prime. FS1 wasn't in existence when the Pac signed up with Fox so they clearly didn't think of that. No biggie for the B1G or Fox moving forward.

They have been showing a lot of UFC because the first month they had nothing to play and the second month there is only so much FB to show. In a few weeks when BBall starts up they will have Big East and Pac-12 games to show every night.

The Pac is upset but they need to realize that they only got that huge TV because they were going to be one of the first pillars of a new national sports TV network. Once the other properties start showing up things will look much better for them. Once FS1 lands the B1G, NBA and the new NFL Thursday night games the Pac will be happy they are on FS1.
10-17-2013 12:14 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-17-2013 12:01 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  I don't watch much network TV but did watch one prime-time FOX show this week and was surprised not to see any FS promos. Granted there's probably not a lot of demographic overlap between New Girl and UFC, but I can't be the only CFB fan who doesn't refuse when my wife asks me to watch Zoey Deshanel.

This was showing during the Fox NFL games all sunday long.

10-17-2013 12:18 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-17-2013 12:18 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 12:01 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  I don't watch much network TV but did watch one prime-time FOX show this week and was surprised not to see any FS promos. Granted there's probably not a lot of demographic overlap between New Girl and UFC, but I can't be the only CFB fan who doesn't refuse when my wife asks me to watch Zoey Deshanel.

No wonder I missed it... 07-coffee3
10-17-2013 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-17-2013 12:14 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  You guys know Fox Sports 1 isn't even 3 month old yet right? Of course they don't have the ratings or viewers yet, THE CHANNEL ISN'T EVEN 3 MONTHS OLD YET!!!

The B1G would and could easily have a clause that they have a set # of games at a certain time on Fox Prime. FS1 wasn't in existence when the Pac signed up with Fox so they clearly didn't think of that. No biggie for the B1G or Fox moving forward.

They have been showing a lot of UFC because the first month they had nothing to play and the second month there is only so much FB to show. In a few weeks when BBall starts up they will have Big East and Pac-12 games to show every night.

The Pac is upset but they need to realize that they only got that huge TV because they were going to be one of the first pillars of a new national sports TV network. Once the other properties start showing up things will look much better for them. Once FS1 lands the B1G, NBA and the new NFL Thursday night games the Pac will be happy they are on FS1.

They aren't airing basketball games every night.... 6/17 Wednesday's in the season- no basketball.
10-17-2013 12:39 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-17-2013 12:39 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 12:14 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  You guys know Fox Sports 1 isn't even 3 month old yet right? Of course they don't have the ratings or viewers yet, THE CHANNEL ISN'T EVEN 3 MONTHS OLD YET!!!

They aren't airing basketball games every night.... 6/17 Wednesday's in the season- no basketball.

I'm sorry, MOST nights. Better?
10-17-2013 12:59 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-17-2013 12:37 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 12:18 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

No wonder I missed it... 07-coffee3

Well you're in the minority here Bit. 04-cheers
10-17-2013 01:02 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(10-17-2013 11:38 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Fox is struggling to draw viewers to their CFB games on both FOX and FS1, compared to ESPN and ABC where casual fans are already in the habit of turning to watch the games.

I don't know if Big Fox is really struggling that much. Now, this is purely based on last year's games, but here is the average per network viewership:

Network__Gms____Total Viewers__Avg Viewers
CBS_____18______100,200,000___5,566,667
ABC_____ 34______172,500,000___5,073,529
NBC______8______31483000_____3,935,375
Fox______23______66,500,000___2,891,304
ESPN____64_______167,113,000__2,611,141
ESPN2___ 51_______54,133,000___1,061,431
ESPNU___ 16_______5,750,000_____359,375

Note that while Fox is last of the big four, it is ahead of ESPN. What is more noteworthy is if you look at the list of games on Fox compared to say CBS, and the quality. ABC is hard to gauge because with afternoon regional coverage, you combine 2-3 local games to get one rating.

Being their first year carrying CFB, and with the games they received in quality, with more than half being primetime games up against the steepest competition. I'd say they did pretty well.
10-17-2013 01:24 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-17-2013 01:24 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 11:38 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Fox is struggling to draw viewers to their CFB games on both FOX and FS1, compared to ESPN and ABC where casual fans are already in the habit of turning to watch the games.

I don't know if Big Fox is really struggling that much. Now, this is purely based on last year's games, but here is the average per network viewership:

Network__Gms____Total Viewers__Avg Viewers
CBS_____18______100,200,000___5,566,667
ABC_____ 34______172,500,000___5,073,529
NBC______8______31483000_____3,935,375
Fox______23______66,500,000___2,891,304
ESPN____64_______167,113,000__2,611,141
ESPN2___ 51_______54,133,000___1,061,431
ESPNU___ 16_______5,750,000_____359,375

Note that while Fox is last of the big four, it is ahead of ESPN. What is more noteworthy is if you look at the list of games on Fox compared to say CBS, and the quality. ABC is hard to gauge because with afternoon regional coverage, you combine 2-3 local games to get one rating.

Being their first year carrying CFB, and with the games they received in quality, with more than half being primetime games up against the steepest competition. I'd say they did pretty well.

The ratings on Big FOX for CFB games are down substantially from last year. Take a look at some of this year's ratings here.
10-17-2013 01:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.