Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Southern 28 Citadel 21
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
The Eagles go to 4-2 today with a hard fought victory over Citadel. Our defense did a great job of limiting Citadel's offensive attack. Of their 3 TDs one was on an offensive fumble returned for a TD. So we allowed basically 2 TDs by Citadel's offense. 1 of those was a 70 yard option QB run for a TD. Outside of that 1 play we held Citadel to about 120 yards of offense.

Now a bye week then on to Boone to play App. State in 2 weeks.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 04:33 PM by GaSoEagle.)
10-12-2013 04:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
McKinnon played every snap at b-back. That is AP and Jermaine(sp?) Austin territory. What a gutsy performance by him.

Ellison at QB and McKinnon a b-back will do us well for the rest of the season.
10-12-2013 04:52 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

RE: Georgia Southern 28 Citadel 21
I was at game and after many a play McKinnon looked like he was about to fall out but he kept going. He had a great, great game today.
10-12-2013 04:56 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Good win Eagles...well done
10-12-2013 05:28 PM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

Proud of the effort. We're basically half a football team. 22 scholarship players didn't play today (13 out for the season) and the right tackle was on the scout team two weeks ago.

Silver lining is most of those players out are getting a redshirt year, this season doesn't "count", and lots of young guys are getting game experience which should improve our 2014 depth.
10-12-2013 06:04 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Can you Georgia Southern folks do me a favor? When you post about your game results... give me some measuring stick.

Like, should the game have been this close, or is Citadel a bad team, and y'all played down?

I was a horrible FCS fan, in that outside of the Southland, I was clueless.
10-12-2013 06:51 PM
Advertisement

bamaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(10-12-2013 06:51 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Can you Georgia Southern folks do me a favor? When you post about your game results... give me some measuring stick.

Like, should the game have been this close, or is Citadel a bad team, and y'all played down?

Our games with the citadel have been close the past few seasons. We run the same offense, which usually makes for close games. If we don't have a turnover returned for TD we win by two possessions, which would be a big improvement from our previous games with them.
10-12-2013 07:06 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

Citadel usually gives Ga. Southern all it wants every year. They run an option based offense like we do, so both teams practice against it almost everyday in practice. That being said the game today was not as close as the 28-21 score might make it seem. We outgained Citadel somewhere around 550 yards to 280 yards. But we give them 1 TD on a fumble which they ran in for a TD from about 40 yards out. We also fumbled a snap on a FG attempt and had a bad snap on a 4th and 1 from Citadel's 1 yard line where we got nothing.

All that being said Citadel was ahead of us 21-20 with 9 minutes to go in the game. We had a 7 minute 85 yard TD drive to win the game. Citadel fans would be the first to admit I think that we outplayed Citadel by a good bit today but our mistakes make what probably should have been a 17 point win into a close game which went down the the last few minutes of the game.

Basically in the SoCon this year the best 2 teams in my opinion are Wofford and Samford-- we lost to both of them on the road this year. Excluding us Chattanooga is probably the 3rd best team. We beat them at home.

So we have already probably played the top 3 teams in the league this year. The rest of our conference schedule is vs. the lower teams in the conference. Appalachian is usually at the top of the conference with us but at 1-5 it is obvious App. is having a tough year so far.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 07:14 PM by GaSoEagle.)
10-12-2013 07:08 PM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

(10-12-2013 06:51 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Can you Georgia Southern folks do me a favor? When you post about your game results... give me some measuring stick.

I think it's hard for us to measure Rev, because our "team" isn't comprised of the personnel we thought would be playing. That said, The Citadel isn't very good, but then again we aren't either in our depleted state. Western Carolina is the only "gimme" left on the schedule, but we'll be favored against everyone except Florida.

Samford is having a special season and they have a talented team, but overall the SoCon is really down this year. In our current state with a 2014 schedule, Ga Southern could only hope for 2 or 3 wins.
10-12-2013 07:30 PM
DawggoneEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Can always rely on the highlights from The Statesboro Herald. . .
http://statesboroherald.com/multimedia/6052/
10-12-2013 07:44 PM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

(10-12-2013 06:04 PM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  Proud of the effort. We're basically half a football team. 22 scholarship players didn't play today (13 out for the season) and the right tackle was on the scout team two weeks ago.

Silver lining is most of those players out are getting a redshirt year, this season doesn't "count", and lots of young guys are getting game experience which should improve our 2014 depth.

Correction, according to Coach Jeff Monken, only 57 of 85 scholarship players dressed for Saturday's contest vs. The Citadel. That's 28 out of action 07-coffee3
10-13-2013 06:47 AM
Advertisement

eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
This Brent Davis garbage has to go. I want us with Ellison under center next year. Fred Swope at bback killing teams. What some of the "Oregon" love folk don't realize is that the pass will be far more effective under center then out of the gun with Ellison.
10-14-2013 04:23 AM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(10-14-2013 04:23 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  This Brent Davis garbage has to go. I want us with Ellison under center next year. Fred Swope at bback killing teams. What some of the "Oregon" love folk don't realize is that the pass will be far more effective under center then out of the gun with Ellison.

Who is this fred swope?

and how is the pass more effective from under center?
10-14-2013 07:25 AM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

(10-14-2013 07:25 AM)southern edumacation Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 04:23 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  This Brent Davis garbage has to go. I want us with Ellison under center next year. Fred Swope at bback killing teams. What some of the "Oregon" love folk don't realize is that the pass will be far more effective under center then out of the gun with Ellison.

Who is this fred swope?

Don't worry about Skins. He ins't happy unless he's calling for someone's head.
10-14-2013 08:12 AM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(10-14-2013 08:12 AM)The Black Flag Wrote:  Don't worry about Skins. He ins't happy unless he's calling for someone's head.

Oh I'm aware, this post was just worse than usual.
10-14-2013 08:36 AM
Pike51 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
(10-14-2013 07:25 AM)southern edumacation Wrote:  Who is this fred swope?

That's William Dean and Dominique Banks' brother. Don't you know anything? That have a cousin named Vegas Ellison.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2013 11:14 AM by Pike51.)
10-14-2013 11:14 AM
Advertisement

The4thOption Offline
1st String

(10-14-2013 11:14 AM)Pike51 Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 07:25 AM)southern edumacation Wrote:  Who is this fred swope?

That's William Dean and Dominique Banks' brother. Don't you know anything? That have a cousin named Vegas Ellison.

03-lmfao Ah... misdirection is so effective.
10-14-2013 11:40 AM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

Who is this fred swope?

No comment on Fred.

As far as passing from under center.... It can be very effective when the defense is convinced that we are going to run the ball. Telecasting a pass by going shotgun, and switching to JEll. at QB to throw has been an issue. I love leaving Ellision in all the time. I have no problem with running shotgun sometimes, but it drives me crazy on 4th and 1 - see bad snap knocking on the door last week.

We should have bet the Citadel about 38-10 - but almost let them get the win.

We could have beat both Wofford and Samford. From watching the game plan with #4 at QB and #1 at FB - I believe we might have been undefeated on the season if that had been the plan from day one. Or McKinnion could have been a slot/A back with Swope healthy at Bback. Still making sloppy mistakes, putting the ball on the ground - Looks to me like we are on the cusp of putting all this together and we have two weeks to get healty and work on this new plan. I expect us to be playing at a high level in Boone - but I expect App to come out swinging harder than they have all year. IF we get a couple to 3 scores up early.. we could have a fun day. But if we play sloppy like the first half of the season - the Mountaineers will take advantage of that and send us home hurting.
10-14-2013 11:49 AM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU

Who is this fred swope?

Fred G Swope
10-15-2013 05:10 AM
GSUsTALON Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga.Southern
[/quote]Who is this fred swope and how is the pass more effective from under center???????[/quote]

As far as passing from under center.... It can be very effective when the defense is convinced that we are going to run the ball. Telecasting a pass by going shotgun, and switching to JEll. at QB to throw has been an issue. I love leaving Ellision in all the time. I have no problem with running shotgun sometimes, but it drives me crazy on 4th and 1 - see bad snap knocking on the door last week. [/quote]

I agee03-zzz
10-15-2013 05:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.