UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The worst fans in sport...
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB_ASDD
The worst fans in sport...
Belong to UAB. Calling for the firing of a coach who hasn't been on the job 2 years is ridiculous. One who has to recruit against programs with better facilities, amenities, and fan bases. He also has a BOT that is hell bent on not giving him the tools to succeed. Having to do so with a weak AD and academic restrictions. There is a process to building a successful sports program and it takes time even at BETTER SCHOOLS than UAB.

If anyone think/thought/expect McGee to turn UAB around in 1 season and 5 games, you are delusional and are contributing to the worst fans in America. If you want to see what real fans look like see South Carolina.
10-06-2013 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
RE: The worst fans in sport...
(10-06-2013 10:20 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Belong to UAB. Calling for the firing of a coach who hasn't been on the job 2 years is ridiculous. One who has to recruit against programs with better facilities, amenities, and fan bases. He also has a BOT that is hell bent on not giving him the tools to succeed. Having to do so with a weak AD and academic restrictions. There is a process to building a successful sports program and it takes time even at BETTER SCHOOLS than UAB.

If anyone think/thought/expect McGee to turn UAB around in 1 season and 5 games, you are delusional and are contributing to the worst fans in America. If you want to see what real fans look like see South Carolina.

I'm not call for his firing right now. He should be given to the end of next season. If by then we aren't in a bowl game, time for a new athletic director and head football coach.
10-06-2013 10:22 AM
mrchance33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
I never suspected that he could turn this program around in two years, but what worries me is the horrible play calling, lack of discipline displayed by this team, and the way he handles his qbs.
10-06-2013 10:32 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-06-2013 10:22 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  I'm not call for his firing right now. He should be given to the end of next season. If by then we aren't in a bowl game, time for a new athletic director and head football coach.

What do you call this?

Quote:The next Head Football Coach needs to be hired by a new Athletics Director.

You and others may not be using the word fired, but you are making it clear you want him gone.
10-06-2013 10:39 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(10-06-2013 10:39 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 10:22 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  I'm not call for his firing right now. He should be given to the end of next season. If by then we aren't in a bowl game, time for a new athletic director and head football coach.

What do you call this?

Quote:The next Head Football Coach needs to be hired by a new Athletics Director.

You and others may not be using the word fired, but you are making it clear you want him gone.

If UAB does not receive a bid to a bowl in 2014 I think McGee should be let go. Is that more clear?
10-06-2013 10:44 AM
Blazer360 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
You do realize that the man is working against 7+ years of losing. And I agree with Memphis, you are talking about firing a coach after 3 years. You do realize what he has took over. Im not sorry to tell you, but turning a program around is not like putting popcorn in a microwave and getting results. Look at SMU, it took them 5 or so years to even get back to where they were. When you start firing coaches after 2 or 3 years, then you are saying that your fans or administration have no patients for what it takes to get results and no actual grasp of how long it takes to turn a program around that has actually been left dead in the water by it's on BOT.

Now granted, he needs to be made to make a descision on his defensive coach. The Defense is atrocious. I still say a head coach should get 4 years to evaluate how is has done (USM is the exception). By then he has his players that he has recruited since freshmen. Not to mention, do you or anyone else have the money to pony up when you fire McGee before his contract. I believe Mackin knows people are not happy and if you aren't sure let him know. Send him a letter, call, heck I'm sending back my season tickets (I'll just buy new ones at the gate if I really want to go).

People have a right to be angry and upset, they invest time and money into supporting this team one way or another. It's not being a bad fan to criticize the coach, especially after a game like yesterday. When you start talking about firing the Head Coach after only 1 year and a half, are you thinking about what you are proposing or are you reacting to a bad loss and emotion.
10-06-2013 11:12 AM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Actually, folks are talking about firing a coach after a year and a half.
10-06-2013 11:28 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-06-2013 10:20 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Belong to UAB. Calling for the firing of a coach who hasn't been on the job 2 years is ridiculous. One who has to recruit against programs with better facilities, amenities, and fan bases. He also has a BOT that is hell bent on not giving him the tools to succeed. Having to do so with a weak AD and academic restrictions. There is a process to building a successful sports program and it takes time even at BETTER SCHOOLS than UAB.

I heard (and probably made) the exact same defense of Neal Callaway. Just throwing it out there.
10-06-2013 12:12 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Any new coach is customarily given the time to play with his own chosen recruits since, after all, the play of the upper class players got the previous coach fired. I expect that most of the fuss today is more frustration from continuing to lose rather than the loss Saturday by itself. I would doubt that anyone really expects the present FBHC to be fired in less than 5 years - staff member perhaps - but HC, no.

I think the AD will want to see if fund raising gives out FB program a boost by building new facilities in the future. The one thing any program wants to avoid is the label of "INSTABILITY" since that can taint the ability of the school to hire future staff. USC is fighting that label today and hopes it won't stick.
10-06-2013 12:28 PM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB_ASDD
(10-06-2013 12:12 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

I heard (and probably made) the exact same defense of Neal Callaway. Just throwing it out there.

Comparing Callaway to McGee in anyway is like comparing grapes to apples. That being said, I was willing to give Callaway the benefit of the doubt until it was entirely his program and his program was atrocious. If after the next two years McGee doesn't produce... then game on.
10-06-2013 12:28 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Disagree. The reason folks are on here venting about the situation and McGee is because we care about the reputation of our program and university. If there were more folks that cared to this degree, we would be in better shape with our overall support. Folks content with losing to programs like FAU, IMO, are a bigger problem than those who express rage about losing these games.

I don't support or agree with those who want to pull support (financially or with their presence) because of their anger. But I think we are appropriate to demand more from our coaches.

McGee is making more than any other football coach in UAB history. What has that bought us? So far, just a bunch of talk and empty promises. I'm as hopeful as the next person that he will get things turned around and he leads us to new heights. But forgive me for not having confidence in that hope based on the last 1.5 years of McGee. His talk may be inspiring, but I haven't seen much on the field that makes me think we are any better than the day he took this job.
10-06-2013 03:05 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I'd be a lot harder on my fellow fans if we hadn't had 8 straight losing seasons, and weren't 1-4 in year 9.

I don't like the fire everybody and padlock the doors talk, either, but frustration is more than justified.

I think UAB has some of the best fans in sport. Any idiot can fall out of bed a gump (and many do). It takes grit to be a Blazer.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 03:21 PM by Smaug.)
10-06-2013 03:13 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-06-2013 03:05 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  Disagree. The reason folks are on here venting about the situation and McGee is because we care about the reputation of our program and university. If there were more folks that cared to this degree, we would be in better shape with our overall support. Folks content with losing to programs like FAU, IMO, are a bigger problem than those who express rage about losing these games.

I don't support or agree with those who want to pull support (financially or with their presence) because of their anger. But I think we are appropriate to demand more from our coaches.

McGee is making more than any other football coach in UAB history. What has that bought us? So far, just a bunch of talk and empty promises. I'm as hopeful as the next person that he will get things turned around and he leads us to new heights. But forgive me for not having confidence in that hope based on the last 1.5 years of McGee. His talk may be inspiring, but I haven't seen much on the field that makes me think we are any better than the day he took this job.

The depressing thing is the overall lack of improvement. Every offense we've faced has put up record numbers on us, in some form or fashion. Of course we are madder than heck..........if we didn't care, we wouldn't be mad. There were A LOT of mad people at the stadium yesterday. We will be back......the die-hards are about all that is left. Winning the games that we are supposed to win (Troy, FAU) would help morale and attendance a lot.
10-06-2013 03:16 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western

Never said I wanted McGee replaced. I admit though, that the defensive coordinator is burning my biscuits right now, because I am not seeing this "improvement" that David Crane keeps talking about, especially on that side of the ball. UAB's defense has more holes in it than a box of Dunkin' Donuts. As for South Carolina, IMO, they don't have to contend with anywhere near the political and bureaucratic BS, corruption and systematic obstruction & bias that UAB has to.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 03:35 PM by Matrix.)
10-06-2013 03:32 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-06-2013 03:32 PM)Matrix Wrote:  

Never said I wanted McGee replaced. I admit though, that the defensive coordinator is burning my biscuits right now, because I am not seeing this "improvement" that David Crane keeps talking about, especially on that side of the ball. UAB's defense has more holes in it than a box of Dunkin' Donuts. As for South Carolina, IMO, they don't have to contend with anywhere near the political and bureaucratic BS, corruption and systematic obstruction bias that UAB has to.

Going 11-2 doesn't hurt usc-e fans attitudes either. I remember when they were mad enough to lynch Sparky Woods and Brad Scott though......they still packed the stadium though. Crane yesterday said many times "He was WIDE OPEN, I'm glad he overthrew them!"......totally blown coverages. Crane does a real nice job with the play by play.......he does look for the good though.
10-06-2013 03:37 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(10-06-2013 10:20 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Calling for the firing of a coach who hasn't been on the job 2 years is ridiculous.

"Ahem" Exhibit A: Southern Miss 2012, & although I'm with you on not wanting to see McGee dismissed after this season, what they did in Hattiesburg last year, IMO, was absolutely necessary. Where their program was concerned, he was the thing that Confuscius talked about, he was the "one match" that "burned 1,000 trees."
10-06-2013 03:39 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-06-2013 03:39 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 10:20 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Calling for the firing of a coach who hasn't been on the job 2 years is ridiculous.

"Ahem" Exhibit A: Southern Miss 2012, & although I'm with you on not wanting to see McGee dismissed after this season, what they did in Hattiesburg last year, IMO, was absolutely necessary. Where their program was concerned, he was the thing that Confuscius talked about, he was the "one match" that "burned 1,000 trees."

Yes, firing their coach after one year has shown immediate results. Every coach deserves at least four years. Just because USM was inpatient doesn't mean Johnson would not eventually turn it around. We'll never know.
10-06-2013 03:52 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I think the Johnson case was extreme. It's like they forgot how to play football. I'm a believer in being patient with coaches, but I agree with the decision to fire him.
10-06-2013 03:56 PM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

I cant recall uab fans poisoning a tree or tea-bagging an opposing fan.
10-06-2013 03:58 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

So if they go 0-12 this year, they should fire this guy too?
10-06-2013 03:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.