Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Remaining Undefeated and Winless Teams (after week 5)
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Remaining Undefeated and Winless Teams (after week 5)
1 loss teams coming next week (probably).

Teams with 1st loss week 5: 9
Georgia Tech
Oklahoma State
Central Florida
Navy
Colorado
LSU
Minnesota
Ole Miss
Arizona

Teams with 1st win week 5: 3
Iowa State
Idaho
San Diego State

Percent of Last Week's Undefeated Teams with 1st loss:
Week 1: 41.13% (51 of 124)
Week 2: 31.51% (23 of 73)
Week 3: 30% (15 of 50)
Week 4: 17.14% (6 of 35)
Week 5: 31.03% (9 of 29)

Week 5 Thoughts: We lost not only a higher percent of teams this week than last, but a higher number. I'm not sure as I wasn't keeping track of that till this season, but I believe this was earlier in the season than usual for our number to go up for the first time.

The national title race is starting to come into focus. It's likely at least one undefeated team is in the game and possible no 1 loss teams make it. Alabama will be in if they win out, but if not, the SEC champion (unless its Missouri) is now guaranteed to have at least 1 loss thanks to loses by LSU and Ole Miss. In the Big 12, Oklahoma State loosing to West Virginia leaves Oklahoma or possibly a longer shot by Texas Tech or Baylor as their only chances . The Big Ten's only shots are Michigan, Ohio State (who survived this week vs. Wisconsin) and Northwestern. Ohio State and Northwestern play this week. The ACC and PAC-12 remain a little more open with 4 undefeated teams left including several ranked ones.

Louisville also remains from the American, but would be fighting a very uphill battle even if undefeated. Unfortunately for them, previously unbeaten Central Florida lost a close one to South Carolina this week. While an impressive season for Central Florida, it's doubtful they end up ranked soon now which is something Louisville desperately needs to help their case (and of course to win the game).

If we get a 1 loss team in the championship, Georgia this week made a
strong case for itself adding a win vs. LSU to the win vs. South Carolina (importantly has a loss to Clemson though).

On the non-AQ front, Fresno State won at Hawaii. Hawaii hasn't been very good this season, but that trip has caught up with a lot of teams in the past. Northern Illinois meanwhile annihilated Purdue.

Navy lost this week to Western Kentucky eliminating our last undefeated independent.

On the winless side, Iowa State won this week removing the last of the power 5 winless teams from the column. Idaho left the list by beating Temple and San Diego State by beating New Mexico State.

Week 6 thought (Wow, how did we get this far already):
We have 3 games between undefeated teams and 1 between winless teams this week. The undefeated teams playing are #25 Maryland @ #8 Florida State, #4 Ohio State @ #16 Northwestern, and #15 Washington @ #5 Stanford. Only the Florida State/Maryland game is a division game. If Maryland pulled out the shocker, Clemson would jump to the overwhelming favorite to the win division, but Maryland would be talked about a lot in that too.

Our winless game is a Conference USA game Florida International @ Southern Miss.

Other games of note: Undefeated UCLA plays on the road @ Utah on Thursday. Undefeated Oklahoma hosts TCU. #17 undefeated Baylor host West Virginia.

Remaining Undefeated Teams: ACC: 4, American Athletic: 2, Big 12: 3, Big Ten: 3, MAC: 1, Mountain West: 1, PAC-12: 4, SEC: 2, independents: 0, total: 20

Clemson
Florida State
Maryland
Miami (FL)
Baylor
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Louisville
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Houston
Northern Illinois
Fresno State
Oregon
Stanford
Washington
UCLA
Missouri
Alabama

Winless Teams: American: 3, Big 12: 0, Conference USA: 2, MAC: 3, Mountain West: 1, independents: 1, total: 10

Uconn
South Florida
Temple
Southern Miss
Florida International
New Mexico State
Miami (OH)
Massachusetts
Western Michigan
Hawaii
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013 08:39 AM by ohio1317.)
09-30-2013 12:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Remaining Undefeated and Winless Teams (after week 5)
Correction:

(09-30-2013 12:19 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Undefeated Oregon UCLA plays on the road @ Utah on Thursday.
09-30-2013 01:18 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Ohio State survived Wisconsin?
09-30-2013 05:00 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Oh S**t! We have 4 of the winless teams this year.
09-30-2013 05:55 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(09-30-2013 05:55 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Oh S**t! We have 4 of the winless teams this year.

Louisville needs Houston to beat BYU, and for UCF, Rutgers, Cincy and Houston to go undefeated against Temple, UConn, USF, SMU and Memphis.

You also need Ohio to win its Division in the MAC and for Kentucky to upset somebody.

If all that happens and Louisville goes undefeated, you have a chance at the MNC game if the unbeatens ahead of you lose.

Louisville is currently 11th in the BCS Guru projected BCS poll.
09-30-2013 06:55 AM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

(09-30-2013 01:18 AM)Wedge Wrote:  Correction:

(09-30-2013 12:19 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Undefeated Oregon UCLA plays on the road @ Utah on Thursday.

Thank you. Will teach me to finish these up while tired.
09-30-2013 08:40 AM
ohio1317 Offline

(09-30-2013 05:00 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Ohio State survived Wisconsin?

Probably not the best choice of words.
09-30-2013 08:40 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The ACC will lose at least one undefeated this Saturday. Maryland plays FSU...
09-30-2013 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
There will be at least 3 ranked unbeatens defeated this weekend. Florida State plays Maryland, Washington plays Stanford, and Northwestern plays Ohio State.

Add to that the fact that Clemson plays a pretty good Syracuse team on the road, Missouri gets its first SEC game on the road in Nashville against a Vanderbilt team that has already had two tough games, and Miami hosts run oriented Georgia Tech. Michigan plays a Minnesota squad that could give it a run for their money and this weekend is shaping up to have a major thinning of the herd.

When you check out all of the schedules of the remaining unbeatens it is not inconceivable that we wind up with no major unbeatens except Louisville and Northern Illinois. Now that would make for some interesting BCS wranglings at the end of the year.
09-30-2013 07:51 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Fresno State could go unbeaten too.

Not sure I'd like our chances in comparison with Louisville. Just hoping our unbeaten streak goes as long as possible. I'll think about postseason after game 12.
10-02-2013 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.