Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

You guys shamed me into going to the Travs game today.
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
You guys shamed me into going to the Travs game today.
A friend called, and I agreed to accompany him to what he referred to as "the last game of the world series today". So maybe I'll see you hard core Travs fans there. Not UALR, but supporting the local team.04-cheers
09-15-2013 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: You guys shamed me into going to the Travs game today.
I think they're going to pay me to never come back. From my perspective, it was a horrible season. They lost every game I witnessed. But we did come in second today and the other team came in next to last.
09-15-2013 05:09 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
Well, they skunked us today. San Antonio just had better pitching today, although ours wasn't exactly terrible. If we hadn't committed that error before the guy hit the grand slam, it might have been 1-0, or perhaps had we only been down one instead of five, we might have managed to score at least one and be in the game. Obviously you feel better about coming back if you're only down one instead of five. But, they were the better team today, and outhit us ten to four I believe. I was disappointed in the crowd. I didn't hear any attendance figures, but it somewhat a Trojan size crowd. A lot of ghosts.
09-15-2013 07:11 PM
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
I missed it. Had a soccer game to go to.
09-15-2013 11:36 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2013 11:36 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  I missed it. Had a soccer game to go to.

Many times I don't agree with mjs about things, but do agree that 1,572 was an embarrassment, and something that the citizens of Little Rock who call themselves baseball fans should be ashamed of. And I have long agreed with Mickey's assessment of Little Rock as being a piss poor sports town period. Nothing I guess will ever change that in my mind. Should have been four or five thousand there for a final game of the playoffs.
09-16-2013 09:50 AM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2013 09:50 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(09-15-2013 11:36 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  I missed it. Had a soccer game to go to.

Many times I don't agree with mjs about things, but do agree that 1,572 was an embarrassment, and something that the citizens of Little Rock who call themselves baseball fans should be ashamed of. And I have long agreed with Mickey's assessment of Little Rock as being a piss poor sports town period. Nothing I guess will ever change that in my mind. Should have been four or five thousand there for a final game of the playoffs.

Fool that I am (I guess I don't read enough of my posts about Little Rock being a piss poor sports town) I went online and bought advance tickets for Saturday night's game. I really figured the place would be packed- championship game, absolutely perfect weather, no hog game to compete against. When my wife asked me why I was buying advance tickets (which included a small fee) I told her I don't want to have to wait on the long lines. I guess for a minute I forgot where I live.
09-16-2013 12:09 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Several things that probably affected the crowds. Sunday afternoon. Lot of NFL games on TV. FedEx playoffs in golf on TV. Probably major league baseball on TV. Hard to leave home for a minor league baseball game when you can stay home in air conditioning and watch whatever you want. I was there, but I wouldn't have been if a friend hadn't called to invite me, and you guys had been railing about supporting the local team. I do have one suggestion for Dickey Park. When the Astrodome was originally built, there were hardly any home runs hit because the fences were so far out. Unless you hit a ball right down the line, everything was 375 to over 400 feet. They eventually moved fences in, and it made for more entertaining games. Travs need to do the same thing. 310 down the line, 340 to right and left center, and 380 to dead center. That would make the games more interesting. When guys keep hitting balls to the wall over and over again and someone catches it, it gets dull. Need more offense. Just my observation.
09-16-2013 12:16 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2013 12:16 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Several things that probably affected the crowds. Sunday afternoon. Lot of NFL games on TV. FedEx playoffs in golf on TV. Probably major league baseball on TV. Hard to leave home for a minor league baseball game when you can stay home in air conditioning and watch whatever you want. I was there, but I wouldn't have been if a friend hadn't called to invite me, and you guys had been railing about supporting the local team. I do have one suggestion for Dickey Park. When the Astrodome was originally built, there were hardly any home runs hit because the fences were so far out. Unless you hit a ball right down the line, everything was 375 to over 400 feet. They eventually moved fences in, and it made for more entertaining games. Travs need to do the same thing. 310 down the line, 340 to right and left center, and 380 to dead center. That would make the games more interesting. When guys keep hitting balls to the wall over and over again and someone catches it, it gets dull. Need more offense. Just my observation.

All the reasons you list are the same thing UALR battles against every game. Nov. 11th we'll be up against Monday Night Football. There will be a number of big time NCAA basketball match-ups on TV (why pay to see midmajor basketball when you can see major college games in the comfort of your own home?). There will be NBA basketball and NHL hockey available on cable. There are tons of movie channels and movies at Red Box for a buck. Now days I know that my son won't come to a UALR game if Kansas is playing (UNC for my other son). Twenty years ago that typically wouldn't have been an issue. Now they know that the games they are most interested in will either be on cable or available on the internet. These are all just "excuses" for why people don't support UALR, the Travelers, etc. but they are a reality in today's world.

About your suggestion. I would have suggested the fences be moved back so that guy's grandslam would have been a long fly out.
09-16-2013 12:29 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2013 12:09 PM)mjs Wrote:  
Fool that I am (I guess I don't read enough of my posts about Little Rock being a piss poor sports town) I went online and bought advance tickets for Saturday night's game. I really figured the place would be packed- championship game, absolutely perfect weather, no hog game to compete against. When my wife asked me why I was buying advance tickets (which included a small fee) I told her I don't want to have to wait on the long lines. I guess for a minute I forgot where I live.

I think that you probably said it was a "poor sports town" and I added the "piss".
09-16-2013 12:59 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2013 12:29 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 12:16 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Several things that probably affected the crowds. Sunday afternoon. Lot of NFL games on TV. FedEx playoffs in golf on TV. Probably major league baseball on TV. Hard to leave home for a minor league baseball game when you can stay home in air conditioning and watch whatever you want. I was there, but I wouldn't have been if a friend hadn't called to invite me, and you guys had been railing about supporting the local team. I do have one suggestion for Dickey Park. When the Astrodome was originally built, there were hardly any home runs hit because the fences were so far out. Unless you hit a ball right down the line, everything was 375 to over 400 feet. They eventually moved fences in, and it made for more entertaining games. Travs need to do the same thing. 310 down the line, 340 to right and left center, and 380 to dead center. That would make the games more interesting. When guys keep hitting balls to the wall over and over again and someone catches it, it gets dull. Need more offense. Just my observation.

All the reasons you list are the same thing UALR battles against every game. Nov. 11th we'll be up against Monday Night Football. There will be a number of big time NCAA basketball match-ups on TV (why pay to see midmajor basketball when you can see major college games in the comfort of your own home?). There will be NBA basketball and NHL hockey available on cable. There are tons of movie channels and movies at Red Box for a buck. Now days I know that my son won't come to a UALR game if Kansas is playing (UNC for my other son). Twenty years ago that typically wouldn't have been an issue. Now they know that the games they are most interested in will either be on cable or available on the internet. These are all just "excuses" for why people don't support UALR, the Travelers, etc. but they are a reality in today's world.

About your suggestion. I would have suggested the fences be moved back so that guy's grandslam would have been a long fly out.

In that case, just as the guy hit the ball!04-cheers
09-16-2013 02:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.