Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Just win" Part II
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
"Just win" Part II
After 32 years I should know better, but Central Arkansas sport fans continue to amaze me. With absolutely perfect weather and the Travelers playing for a championship I expected a full house at Dickie-Stephens (rated one of the best ballparks in the minor leagues) tonight. Maybe 2000 in the ballpark (announced crowd was 2615). "Just win" may work in some cities, but not in LR/NLR, except if you have a hog on your helmet, cap, or shorts. Those who believe a few more wins will increase attendance at UALR are kidding themselves.
09-14-2013 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
RE: "Just win" Part II
Like I've said all along, if it doesn't oink, it does not EXIST.
09-14-2013 10:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2013 10:59 PM)Robert C Wrote:  Like I've said all along, if it doesn't oink, it does not EXIST.

I 100% agree with that. The question is, is there anyway to change that in Little Rock? After 32 years, I am tired of banging my head against the wall and no longer believe it can be changed. I do see support for ASU continuing to grow in the NE part of the State, and I can see the day when they dominate the fans in that part of the State and UAF can no longer claim to "own" the whole State. But with regard to the Little Rock area, UALR will always be an after thought. Something to do when hogs are not playing and there's nothing better to watch on TV.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 01:45 AM by mjs.)
09-14-2013 11:12 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
We'll never compete for fans attention because we don't have a football team. Football is what matters in Arkansas, so we'll never compare as long as the football doom and gloomers keep having it their way.
09-14-2013 11:52 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2013 11:52 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  We'll never compete for fans attention because we don't have a football team. Football is what matters in Arkansas, so we'll never compare as long as the football doom and gloomers keep having it their way.

I've been against football all along because I think it would be a disaster. Nothing is worse than watching bad football. But I have to admit the ASU-Troy game this week was pretty entertaining. I still don't see how it will work financially. But there is little doubt that UAF will move all games out of Little Rock as soon as the present contract ends. Maybe that opens up some opportunity for us. I still tend to believe it won't work here, but then I see so many schools adding football in places where I never believed it was possible- USA, GaState, FIU, UTSA, Charlotte, and even UNO is talking about it. So maybe a feasibility study with local movers and shakers is in order. I certainly wouldn't be against someone dong this type of study. I'm still a naysayer on this issue, but I am now not against taking a serious look at the pro's and con's of considering the addition of football at UALR..
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 01:13 AM by mjs.)
09-15-2013 01:11 AM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2013 01:11 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(09-14-2013 11:52 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  We'll never compete for fans attention because we don't have a football team. Football is what matters in Arkansas, so we'll never compare as long as the football doom and gloomers keep having it their way.

I've been against football all along because I think it would be a disaster. Nothing is worse than watching bad football. But I have to admit the ASU-Troy game this week was pretty entertaining. I still don't see how it will work financially. But there is little doubt that UAF will move all games out of Little Rock as soon as the present contract ends. Maybe that opens up some opportunity for us. I still tend to believe it won't work here, but then I see so many schools adding football in places where I never believed it was possible- USA, GaState, FIU, UTSA, Charlotte, and even UNO is talking about it. So maybe a feasibility study with local movers and shakers is in order. I certainly wouldn't be against someone dong this type of study. I'm still a naysayer on this issue, but I am now not against taking a serious look at the pro's and con's of considering the addition of football at UALR..

Maybe we should send some folks down to look at what USA did. In there first year in DI they have now beaten Tulane (who beat LaTech) and Petrino's WKU team that beat up on Kentucky and was favored by many to win the Belt this year.
09-15-2013 01:16 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

One crucial question that needs to be answered in any study is "Is it UALR" or "Is it basketball". Is the UALR brand just not taken seriously in Central Arkansas or are there simply a limited number of people in Central Arkansas who care about college basketball. If folks in Central Arkansas simply don't have any real affinity for UALR, and don't take it seriously, football will be a disaster. If it is more a lack of interest in basketball, football might have a chance. It's pretty obvious that unless UAF is going to Final 4's the interest in basketball is fairly minimal. Basketball games against second rate opponents might draw 8,000, while football games against bad opponents still draw close to 70,000. Would UALR football draw 10X what UALR basketball does? Obviously it would have to, to have any chance at being successful financially.
[/quote]
09-15-2013 01:34 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

"Just win" Part II
This are good questions.

Are there a lot of basketball or college bb fans in the metro?

No, if there were uca and ualr would have larger fan bases and the market would be tapped in.

So, can we build fans?

Yes, with the right team of people working on it they could.

Football could help?

Uca is right down the street with a product that is ready to go to market. They will seize the day.

Mid major football is a tough business. Tech won big last year and lost something like 32 seniors and the head coach. They will be a few years rebuilding.

Our current ad could not make this work at ualr imo and few others could too.

Side notes

StAte will go in football and uca or them through proper marketing will win a share or fans in central ark that will be as be as the hogs at some point.

People become fans by going to games and seeing a fun winning product.

Something the ulr does not have in mens bb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
09-15-2013 07:10 AM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I would think that with the tailgating that so many people enjoy, it could be a good excuse to party for some folks. Can't really do that in the dead of winter for an indoor sport like Basketball. I'd think all the Sigma Nu alums from UALR that I know who always tailgate at WMS for Hog games would come out for Trojan Tailgating and it would become the thing to do. I will ask them on facebook group and see what the response is. Keep in mind there is talk of the Hogs gradually pulling out of LR games and once the deed is done, no more tailgating at WMS except for high school and possible some UAPB, UCA or ASU one-offs. Who knows what would happen. But $$$ is the big factor here. No Money,no football.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 09:42 PM by Robert C.)
09-15-2013 09:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

(09-15-2013 09:41 PM)Robert C Wrote:  I would think that with the tailgating that so many people enjoy, it could be a good excuse to party for some folks. Can't really do that in the dead of winter for an indoor sport like Basketball. I'd think all the Sigma Nu alums from UALR that I know who always tailgate at WMS for Hog games would come out for Trojan Tailgating and it would become the thing to do. I will ask them on facebook group and see what the response is. Keep in mind there is talk of the Hogs gradually pulling out of LR games and once the deed is done, no more tailgating at WMS except for high school and possible some UAPB, UCA or ASU one-offs. Who knows what would happen. But $$$ is the big factor here. No Money,no football.

They might come out for UCA, but not much for ASU due to the rivalry.
09-15-2013 09:43 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2013 09:43 PM)Robert C Wrote:  
(09-15-2013 09:41 PM)Robert C Wrote:  I would think that with the tailgating that so many people enjoy, it could be a good excuse to party for some folks. Can't really do that in the dead of winter for an indoor sport like Basketball. I'd think all the Sigma Nu alums from UALR that I know who always tailgate at WMS for Hog games would come out for Trojan Tailgating and it would become the thing to do. I will ask them on facebook group and see what the response is. Keep in mind there is talk of the Hogs gradually pulling out of LR games and once the deed is done, no more tailgating at WMS except for high school and possible some UAPB, UCA or ASU one-offs. Who knows what would happen. But $$$ is the big factor here. No Money,no football.

I'd be interested in the response you get. My kids didn't go to UALR, but started going to UALR basketball games as infants. They live and die with the hog football team. I really doubt they'd have the least bit of interest in UALR football. I would hope it would be different for UALR graduates.
09-15-2013 09:54 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Why don't we start a football team in Green Bay? About the same difference.
09-15-2013 09:59 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

(09-15-2013 09:54 PM)mjs Wrote:  

I'd be interested in the response you get. My kids didn't go to UALR, but started going to UALR basketball games as infants. They live and die with the hog football team. I really doubt they'd have the least bit of interest in UALR football. I would hope it would be different for UALR graduates.

You have to keep in mind these are guys that were four years ahead of me at UALR, so 1986-90 era. They had as much passion about UALR hoops and Smiling Mike as anyone could, many of them traveled to Minnesota for the big NCAA win. Yet, now they come to a few home basketball games each season and mingle up on the concourse and drink their Buds and Diamond Bears. And spend at least some of that time planning Hog tailgates at War Memorial. And they cannot shut up about the HOGS Football the rest of the time. I don't blame them, the hogwashing is in full effect--they can't help it. NOW...Once they get their butts burned real good when (not IF) the team on "the hill" jilts Little Rock for good, they have a choice. Move to Fayetteville (or travel up there, where those ppl look down upon LR) or get MAD and just say "F**k- It" and get behind Trojan Football...if it exists.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 10:30 PM by Robert C.)
09-16-2013 10:29 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2013 10:29 PM)Robert C Wrote:  
(09-15-2013 09:54 PM)mjs Wrote:  

You have to keep in mind these are guys that were four years ahead of me at UALR, so 1986-90 era. They had as much passion about UALR hoops and Smiling Mike as anyone could, many of them traveled to Minnesota for the big NCAA win. Yet, now they come to a few home basketball games each season and mingle up on the concourse and drink their Buds and Diamond Bears. And spend at least some of that time planning Hog tailgates at War Memorial. And they cannot shut up about the HOGS Football the rest of the time. I don't blame them, the hogwashing is in full effect--they can't help it. NOW...Once they get their butts burned real good when (not IF) the team on "the hill" jilts Little Rock for good, they have a choice. Move to Fayetteville (or travel up there, where those ppl look down upon LR) or get MAD and just say "F**k- It" and get behind Trojan Football...if it exists.

Just not convinced we have enough folks who would get "behind Trojan Football". I realize basketball is not particularly popular in most Southern states. Still, could our football team really draw 10- 20X as many people as basketball? That's what would be need to be financially viable. And, of course, we would be awful for who knows how many years and we know how Little Rock supports losing teams. I'm sure I would get behind it if it happened. But, I also go out to UALR volleyball, baseball, and soccer, and have even been out there for tennis and swimming. Hadn't made it out for golf or cross country yet, however.
09-17-2013 04:46 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

How many people would attend a UALR game on weekends when UAF plays in Little Rock?
09-17-2013 07:35 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2013 07:35 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  How many people would attend a UALR game on weekends when UAF plays in Little Rock?

Probably zero since the hogs would be playing on our home field.

It makes too much sense for the hogs not to move all their games to Fayetteville. 20K more seats, recruiting, no travel, keep concessions, much nicer stadium, games should played on campus, etc. Does that really create an opening for UALR football? I really don't think so. If the hogs are playing at the same time on TV, we'll have trouble drawing flies.
09-17-2013 07:41 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(09-17-2013 07:41 PM)mjs Wrote:  [

It makes too much sense for the hogs not to move all their games to Fayetteville. 20K more seats, recruiting, no travel, keep concessions, much nicer stadium, games should played on campus, etc. Does that really create an opening for UALR football? I really don't think so. If the hogs are playing at the same time on TV, we'll have trouble drawing flies.

We could do like we did in basketball a time or two at Alltel, and play a doubleheader. That way we could count the hogs attendance figures.

If we could make it to November, to cold for flies.

They also have to rent War Memorial Stadium, transport the team, band, cheerleaders here, and they used to bring the players the day before, don't know if they still do, and if so have hotel expenses. They have to feed all those people. Probably only feed the players for home games. And this year the team flew back home after the game on two charters. Wouldn't be surprised that with the stadium rental, travel, food, and hotels, that they spend at least three quarters of a million dollars. Plus they're losing about 20,000 paying customers. Does all that make sense when they have their own larger stadium and they can sleep in their own beds.
09-17-2013 07:56 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2013 07:56 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(09-17-2013 07:41 PM)mjs Wrote:  [

We could do like we did in basketball a time or two at Alltel, and play a doubleheader. That way we could count the hogs attendance figures.

If we could make it to November, to cold for flies.

They also have to rent War Memorial Stadium, transport the team, band, cheerleaders here, and they used to bring the players the day before, don't know if they still do, and if so have hotel expenses. They have to feed all those people. Probably only feed the players for home games. And this year the team flew back home after the game on two charters. Wouldn't be surprised that with the stadium rental, travel, food, and hotels, that they spend at least three quarters of a million dollars. Plus they're losing about 20,000 paying customers. Does all that make sense when they have their own larger stadium and they can sleep in their own beds.

I think all the old arguments are gone. Every hog game is televised so the folks in the southern part of the State, people are concerned about, can see every game on TV. It's hard for me to even picture rich folks in Little Rock sitting squeezed into the metal bleachers at War Memorial. They'd much rather fly their planes to Fayetteville and sit in their suites. I could see Little Rock keeping one nonconference body-bag game, but really what's the point?
09-18-2013 09:33 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(09-18-2013 09:33 AM)mjs Wrote:  I think all the old arguments are gone. Every hog game is televised so the folks in the southern part of the State, people are concerned about, can see every game on TV. It's hard for me to even picture rich folks in Little Rock sitting squeezed into the metal bleachers at War Memorial. They'd much rather fly their planes to Fayetteville and sit in their suites. I could see Little Rock keeping one nonconference body-bag game, but really what's the point?

This is getting scarey, that's about four times in two days we've agreed on something.
09-18-2013 09:52 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(09-18-2013 09:52 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  This is getting scarey, that's about four times in two days we've agreed on something.

The unity on this board is downright staggering.
09-18-2013 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.