Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do fans' opinions have ANY effect?
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
I realize that the administration does not operate a division of a university for a few fans. That would be foolish. But I have to believe that the opinions expressed here, like any poll, would be representative of a slice of the public. I am not a chronic complainer, I don't think, and I generally take a pretty positive viewpoint, but even I think there needs to be a new attitude in the program. I do not expect our views to have a huge effect, but do they have ANY effect - at all?
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 09:51 PM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
09-14-2013 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
RE: Do fans' opinions have ANY effect?
(09-14-2013 09:50 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I realize that the administration does not operate a division of a university for a few fans. That would be foolish. But I have to believe that the opinions expressed here, like any poll, would be representative of a slice of the public. I am not a chronic complainer, I don't think, and I generally take a pretty positive viewpoint, but even I think there needs to be a new attitude in the program. I do not expect our views to have a huge effect, but do they have ANY effect - at all?

Michaelspapy, you are a great fan. But have you paid any attention at all to what all of the posters on here who have been fans for decades have been saying? Isn't it pretty obvious that the opinions of fans of this program mean absolutely nothing to our current athletic administration leadership.
09-14-2013 09:59 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
That is what I am wondering. "Not much" or "absolutely nothing"? I don't expect my opinion to mean much, but does it mean ANYTHING?
09-14-2013 10:10 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(09-14-2013 10:10 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  That is what I am wondering. "Not much" or "absolutely nothing"? I don't expect my opinion to mean much, but does it mean ANYTHING?

Sadly, no!
09-14-2013 10:35 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(09-14-2013 10:35 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(09-14-2013 10:10 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  That is what I am wondering. "Not much" or "absolutely nothing"? I don't expect my opinion to mean much, but does it mean ANYTHING?

Sadly, no!

I agree that 3 or 4 folks on a message board mean "absolutely nothing" and agree that they shouldn't. If UALR had some really big donors that were really unhappy with the program its possible that someone might listen. I honestly don't know if we have any "really" big donors; if we do, I have no evidence that would lead me to believe that they are unhappy with the program. In reality, most of the people who give us sizeable amounts of money, are still a lot more worried about the won-loss record in Fayetteville.
09-14-2013 11:06 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Like pappy, i think each one of us posting here are just like a cnn poll. You cant poll everyone.

No one on the board believes in chris or steve at this point and i talk to other season ticket holders they fill the same way.

Ed david, rush, etc were big givers that came to the games. I am sure there are more like them that no longer come but probably give.

i talked to a big donor in there office a about ~5 years ago (this is when we were winning).

He asked me, "kerry do you think steve can get it done?"

At the time i was very pro steve I said that steve could take a program that is down and get it to mid pack with some finishes in upper mid pack but steve would never win the sbc regular season out right (which we have not) and that we would never win the sbc tournament with him (which we did).

The donor felt the same way. Real nice guy and could do what was need to get a program up and going but would need to hand it off to someone else at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 07:31 AM by insideualr.)
09-15-2013 07:27 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Steve compares to Keith Richard in a lot of ways.

Keith at Tech got the program to upper mid pack in the WAC but never could get over the hump. He always had nba talent on the team but just never could get to the ncaa, so he was a better recruiter than steve but never got the job done.

One year at tech he beat siu and tx tech on the road and still did not make the ncaa. They had to take a lot of money games back then. they played 20 road games and like 10 home games one year and went 20-10, still no ncaa.

Steve, like Keith , lost games at key points at the end of the season:

fiu in the sbc year 2 (win that and I think we are in the nit) Best Graber year
WKU at home in the 23 win year. Win that one and you got a trip to the NIT. Hard to blame Steve for that one when Moore quit the team mid game. But the head guy has to take the blame.

Looking back I thought there would be more key games but there was not. The last 5 years has produced a couple probably 3 below .500 seasons (non d1 does not count). Even the NCAA team was a -.500 team in the regular season.

bio
Keith Richard returned to his alma mater to become ULM's seventh men's basketball head coach on April 22, 2010. Now in his fourth season, Richard seeks to restore the rich tradition of the program -- something he knows very well.

Richard became the second ULM men's basketball coach - joining Mike Vining - to have also been a student-athlete and an assistant coach for the program. He was with the Warhawks in both capacities for six of the program's seven NCAA Tournament appearances in the 1980s and early 1990s.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 08:01 AM by insideualr.)
09-15-2013 08:00 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(09-14-2013 11:06 PM)mjs Wrote:  I agree that 3 or 4 folks on a message board mean "absolutely nothing" and agree that they shouldn't. If UALR had some really big donors that were really unhappy with the program its possible that someone might listen. I honestly don't know if we have any "really" big donors; if we do, I have no evidence that would lead me to believe that they are unhappy with the program. In reality, most of the people who give us sizeable amounts of money, are still a lot more worried about the won-loss record in Fayetteville.

I assume we have some who give pretty big or this program wouldn't be alive today, but they aren't fans, or they would be raising holy hell about the quality of this program. They're just business donors.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 10:39 AM by LRTrojan.)
09-15-2013 10:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.