Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One list we didn't make
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
One list we didn't make
We sure would have if they just looked at home schedules.

ESPN's 10 weakest OOC schedules-

ARKANSAS

Toughest: Maui Invitational (Nov. 25-27)
Next-toughest: SMU (Nov. 18)
The rest: SIU-Edwardsville (Nov. 8), Louisiana (Nov. 15), Southeastern Louisiana (Dec. 3), Clemson (Dec. 7), Savannah State (Dec. 12), Tennessee-Martin (Dec. 19), South Alabama (Dec. 21), High Point (Dec. 28), Texas-San Antonio (Jan. 4)

This is one of the more embarrassing schedules on this list. If I'm ranking the top 10, Arkansas would probably be No. 2 or No. 3. Other than the Maui Invitational (the Razorbacks open against Cal and then play either Minnesota or Syracuse), there is not a single noteworthy game on this list. Arkansas is known for its tremendous fan support. Yet the best home game Mike Anderson can schedule for the Razorback faithful is a tilt with SMU? Inexcusable.

It's kind of sad that we can't get a home game, and they don't play a nonconference road game. That's what fan support and money can do for a program. We have been no less successful than UAF the last 12 years. But they still have the money to buy 10 wins before conference season starts. I don't blame Chris or Steve for not moving us to the next level, as much as I blame the general apathy and lack of fan support in this city. Sure I would like to see more promotions, but based on experience I doubt folks who get in for free or cut rate prices will come back when they have to pay full price in the future. I've said for years, what keeps this program from becoming "big time" or, at least, on the level of a Creighton, Wichita State, etc. is the lack of fan support. When we moved in to Alltel, a truly big time arena, that's the main thing we were missing. If we were there drawing 10,000 a game we'd have the finances to move up the ladder. I guess it's the old chicken or the egg thing.
09-12-2013 08:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

One list we didn't make
I hate to hit you with a who cares, but who cares?

They have enough to get an at large bid.

We don't have because they have? We dont have because of decisions we made.

We chose the arena we play in

We chose not to promote the program in print, tv, internet, young, old, student....

We chose to not get bodies in the seats.

We chose rich guy welfare on getting what money we can.

We chose the style we play and how we promote the program.

The hogs playing a soft ooc schedule has no effect on our program.

I love you man but you got crazy double standards for us and them. Demanding change from the hogs but none from us.

We keep doing the same thing and getting the same result. Crazy isnt it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 09:50 PM by insideualr.)
09-12-2013 09:49 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: One list we didn't make
(09-12-2013 08:54 PM)mjs Wrote:  It's kind of sad that we can't get a home game, and they don't play a nonconference road game. That's what fan support and money can do for a program. We have been no less successful than UAF the last 12 years. But they still have the money to buy 10 wins before conference season starts. I don't blame Chris or Steve for not moving us to the next level, as much as I blame the general apathy and lack of fan support in this city. Sure I would like to see more promotions, but based on experience I doubt folks who get in for free or cut rate prices will come back when they have to pay full price in the future. I've said for years, what keeps this program from becoming "big time" or, at least, on the level of a Creighton, Wichita State, etc. is the lack of fan support. When we moved in to Alltel, a truly big time arena, that's the main thing we were missing. If we were there drawing 10,000 a game we'd have the finances to move up the ladder. I guess it's the old chicken or the egg thing.

Do you ever blame them for anything? If they were doing their jobs well, we'd be winning more than divisional championships and going somewhere at the end of the season, thus we'd probably be drawing better crowds, and getting more publicity from the Democrap and the TV stations. If we had a professional coaches show on the network stations where more people could be exposed to it, instead of on Comcast where our own fans can't even watch it if they're not on Comcast cable. A lot of folks have satellite or U-Verse, but everyone in the state has the Little Rock network channels. If we had the show on one of the network stations, our fans like Pappy, Karl B and other fans who live outside Little Rock/NLR could watch it.

I agree that Little Rock is a bad sports town, but you can't blame the city for the folks that are supposed to be promoting our team and coaching it to a higher leve. If we had a better program, more people would be aware of it and supporting it. When you see our crowds getting smaller and smaller every year, that should tell you, the AD, and the Chancellor that there is a skunk holed up somewhere in the Jack. I'd bet that most sports fans in Little Rock couldn't tell you who the coach is at UALR, but we didn't have that problem when Mike Newell was the coach.
09-12-2013 10:25 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(09-12-2013 09:49 PM)insideualr Wrote:  We keep doing the same thing and getting the same result. Crazy isnt it?

Stupid I'd say.
09-12-2013 10:26 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(09-12-2013 10:26 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:49 PM)insideualr Wrote:  We keep doing the same thing and getting the same result. Crazy isnt it?

Stupid I'd say.

Seems to me some of our fans want to blame anything for our situation other than the ones who are actually to blame for it. Come on. Wake up and smell the coffee guys!
09-12-2013 10:43 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
I'm happy that a lot of you are waking up to what I've been saying forever: it doesn't stop with Steve. Chris is killing this program.
09-12-2013 11:40 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2013 11:40 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  I'm happy that a lot of you are waking up to what I've been saying forever: it doesn't stop with Steve. Chris is killing this program.

I can guarantee you that PTJR, and other past Tip-In Board presidents didn't need any convincing. For a long time, I simply felt that Chris knew a heck of a lot more than me about running an athletic program. I am growing more concerned about empty seats and sports being cut which is never a good sign.
09-12-2013 11:49 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2013 11:49 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 11:40 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  I'm happy that a lot of you are waking up to what I've been saying forever: it doesn't stop with Steve. Chris is killing this program.

I can guarantee you that PTJR, and other past Tip-In Board presidents didn't need any convincing. For a long time, I simply felt that Chris knew a heck of a lot more than me about running an athletic program. I am growing more concerned about empty seats and sports being cut which is never a good sign.

Chris Peterson is taking our athletic program down the drain. That is the simple truth regardless of who wants to stick their head in the sand and deny that it is happening.
09-12-2013 11:54 PM
Petersonisaclown Offline
Bench Warmer

You guys are getting smarter...Peterson is in it for himself. Coaches show is on Comcast so he can host AND make Steve pay him, also his WIFE gets a car out of the deal. If the show was on 4, 7 or 11 they would want their talent to host, bye bye car and all his other perks.
09-13-2013 04:58 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

One list we didn't make
That explains it. I have wondered for years why we did that so Micky mouse while uca has a real show

09-13-2013 06:49 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2013 04:58 PM)Petersonisaclown Wrote:  You guys are getting smarter...Peterson is in it for himself. Coaches show is on Comcast so he can host AND make Steve pay him, also his WIFE gets a car out of the deal. If the show was on 4, 7 or 11 they would want their talent to host, bye bye car and all his other perks.

Sounds like you may know more than most of us. I assumed Chris did he show so we would not have to pay a host. I also assumed that Comcast gave us the time for free, so we didn't have to pay a sizeable fee to get a half hour of air time on a network. Figured that money goes to help keep our coach here. Now what does Comcast have to do with getting Chris' wife a car?
09-13-2013 10:28 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

(09-13-2013 10:28 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 04:58 PM)Petersonisaclown Wrote:  You guys are getting smarter...Peterson is in it for himself. Coaches show is on Comcast so he can host AND make Steve pay him, also his WIFE gets a car out of the deal. If the show was on 4, 7 or 11 they would want their talent to host, bye bye car and all his other perks.

Sounds like you may know more than most of us. I assumed Chris did he show so we would not have to pay a host. I also assumed that Comcast gave us the time for free, so we didn't have to pay a sizeable fee to get a half hour of air time on a network. Figured that money goes to help keep our coach here. Now what does Comcast have to do with getting Chris' wife a car?

I don't know about the fee to Comcast, but I have previously heard from a VERY credible source that the reason we don't have a coaches show on a mainstream channel is so Peterson can be the host and collect the host fee.
09-13-2013 10:34 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2013 10:34 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 10:28 PM)mjs Wrote:  

I don't know about the fee to Comcast, but I have previously heard from a VERY credible source that the reason we don't have a coaches show on a mainstream channel is so Peterson can be the host and collect the host fee.

That would be crazy, if true. I don't believe the AD should be hosting a coaches' show regardless, but he certainly shouldn't be getting anything above his regular salary if he wants to do so.
09-13-2013 10:37 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

How in the heck does his wife get a car for him hosting the Mickey Mouse TV show?
09-13-2013 10:42 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

One list we didn't make
It is probably paid / given to him as part of the deal but she just uses it.

09-14-2013 05:51 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2013 05:51 AM)insideualr Wrote:  It is probably paid / given to him as part of the deal but she just uses it.

Since when is Comcast in the car business? Does she drive a van that says "Comcast" on the side? For years, dealerships have provided the coaches with cars. Why would they need one from Comcast?
09-14-2013 08:01 AM
Advertisement

hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
Not saying the above is not true, at least is part. The Shields Show surely is a poor quality production. But the stAte coaches show is hosted by Micky Ryan, an assistant AD for communications.

Of course it is produced in Jonesboro and also shown on KAIT there, so the desire/demand of he LR station might be different the with ualr.

I doubt a LR tv station would be too concerned about an independent production, as long as it sells. Curious.
09-14-2013 08:38 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2013 08:38 AM)hb8 Wrote:  Not saying the above is not true, at least is part. The Shields Show surely is a poor quality production. But the stAte coaches show is hosted by Micky Ryan, an assistant AD for communications.

Of course it is produced in Jonesboro and also shown on KAIT there, so the desire/demand of he LR station might be different the with ualr.

I doubt a LR tv station would be too concerned about an independent production, as long as it sells. Curious.

I assume "buying" a half-hour of TV time in Little Rock is fairly expensive. Any idea what it costs? No one but die-hard fans watch a coaches show anyway- Even I forget to watch more often than not. Our die-hard fans have coaches luncheons, they can go to, if they want to get first hand information from our coaches which is a lot better then they would get from a coaches show.
09-14-2013 09:40 AM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

One list we didn't make
The buy doesn't come from the tale tic department it comes from the ad/sponsorship of the shows. I'm certain that most coaches show don't really cost a thing since you get some sponsors to paid some ad time and pay the host a fee. the remaining money of the sponsorship goes to the coach. I don't know how the arrangement goes with a local access channel but that does not cost anything. I don't base anything on rumors but it does make a little sense now why we may have a low budget show if Peterson is really taking advantage of the situation. I guess if someone really wanted to know they could foia the info.
09-14-2013 10:29 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(09-14-2013 08:38 AM)hb8 Wrote:  Not saying the above is not true, at least is part. The Shields Show surely is a poor quality production. But the stAte coaches show is hosted by Micky Ryan, an assistant AD for communications.

Since ASU has a degree program for television broadcasting, it is no surprise to me that there is the capability to independently produce a show that can be ready made to show by a TV station. That is a lot different than the situation here. If UALR produced it's own program then having an AD or assistant AD as host might make sense so the school doesn't have to pay for a host in its production costs.

But since UALR would need someone else to produce the show, any TV station in Little Rock would insist on its own guy being the host, unless it's the mickey mouse deal that we get on Comcast who has no on air personalities. That's how Peterson fits himself in so he can rake off the extra dough for his own pocket, in spite of it not getting the program any exposure to the population at large. Of course, he's never been bothered with exposure of our program to the general public.
09-14-2013 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.