Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Xavier AD "I think the Big East will expand"
Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
Xavier AD "I think the Big East will expand"
The title says it all... Albiet, within the next 5 years.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...and-video/[/align]
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 08:37 PM by Flying Bearcat.)
09-05-2013 08:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
RE: Xavier AD "I think the Big East will expand"
Hasn't he said that before too?
09-05-2013 08:55 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
In before Dayton speculation.
09-05-2013 08:56 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
In the ~6 months or so since the New Big East expanded from the core "C7" to 10 teams, I have always believed they would go to 12, and that it was just a matter of finding the 2 best additions, and the best time of announcing/formalizing those 2 additions. The comments from Xavier AD Greg Christopher -- clearly meant for the public -- renew that belief. And I continue to believe as well that Saint Louis will be one of the additions, along with 1 of Dayton, Richmond, or VCU.
09-05-2013 09:00 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
If Duquesne ever gets its act together, it could prove to be a more valuable addition than any of the aforementioned teams. Bigger market, pro facility, doesn't duplicate any markets and is located central to the rest of the league...but they have to win.
09-05-2013 09:10 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
12 should be a lock, have no idea why they aren't already at 12. Who to pick, easy, i'd go with St Louis and VCU. I'd probably jump to 14 with umass and dayton for a nice 7 team e/w spilt up.
09-05-2013 09:33 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
id really like to see dayton/uconn/umass in the big east and have their football programs join butler, villanova & georgtown find a way to jumpstart big east FCS football
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 09:41 PM by john01992.)
09-05-2013 09:40 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-05-2013 09:33 PM)bluesox Wrote:  12 should be a lock, have no idea why they aren't already at 12. Who to pick, easy, i'd go with St Louis and VCU. I'd probably jump to 14 with umass and dayton for a nice 7 team e/w spilt up.

I thought the word was Georgerown was blocking VCU.
09-05-2013 09:41 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
Go big...take St Louis, Dayton, Richmond, and Denver.
09-05-2013 09:44 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(09-05-2013 09:10 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  If Duquesne ever gets its act together, it could prove to be a more valuable addition than any of the aforementioned teams. Bigger market, pro facility, doesn't duplicate any markets and is located central to the rest of the league...but they have to win.

I don't know. It would be great for Duquesne and the city if it could get in to the Big East, but I don't know if they'd ever overcome the shadow of Pitt and regularly draw. Dayton draws better than Pitt. I think Dayton is a much better addition from a pure program perspective even if Duquesne was winning. Now out of St. Louis, Richmond, and VCU, perhaps you could make an argument for the Dukes. But Pittsburgh's hoops scene has plenty of flaws. There is a reason the NBA isn't considered viable in the city and the recruiting grounds are bare. But as you said, Duquesne has to win and make some NCAA tournaments before they can even get in a conversation about getting in the conversation, for which I'm certainly not holding my breath.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 09:49 PM by CrazyPaco.)
09-05-2013 09:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I don't see how you pass on Dayton when you are looking for strong programs. They have consistently had good support.

As for VCU, they are new to being a strong program and they would be the only public school. Plus there is this:
Old Dominion-added football, moving to FBS
North Carolina-Charlotte-added football moving to FBS
USF-added football, moved to FBS
UAB-added football, moved to FBS
South Alabama-added football, moved to FBS
Western Kentucky-had football, moved to FBS
Jacksonville-private, added non-scholarship football

What do those 7 have in common with VCU? They made up the 8 member Sun Belt Conference in the 80s.

Richmond gets it if they want a 6/6 east west split. St. Louis otherwise.
09-05-2013 09:53 PM
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(09-05-2013 09:53 PM)bullet Wrote:  I don't see how you pass on Dayton when you are looking for strong programs. They have consistently had good support.

As for VCU, they are new to being a strong program and they would be the only public school. Plus there is this:

What do those 7 have in common with VCU? They made up the 8 member Sun Belt Conference in the 80s.

What the hell is North Carolina - Charlotte? 03-puke
09-05-2013 09:57 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
St.Louis and Dayton are No Brainers. VCU and Richmond would be great adds as would Witcha State. Heck a real sleeper could be if Bellarmine were to upgrade to next level but thats not going to happen.
09-05-2013 09:58 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

(09-05-2013 09:57 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 09:53 PM)bullet Wrote:  I don't see how you pass on Dayton when you are looking for strong programs. They have consistently had good support.

You should change your name if you don't like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unc_charlotte

"The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, also known as UNC Charlotte, UNCC, or Charlotte"
09-05-2013 10:00 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(09-05-2013 10:00 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  

"The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, also known as UNC Charlotte, UNCC, or Charlotte"

I'm with you on the Name change, but none of those are near "North Carolina - Charlotte". That's like someone called VaTech "Virginia - Polytech Institute".
09-05-2013 10:04 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

(09-05-2013 10:04 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 10:00 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  

I'm with you on the Name change, but none of those are near "North Carolina - Charlotte". That's like someone called VaTech "Virginia - Polytech Institute".

It used to be called VPI before Dooley decided all of our traditions were embarrassing. Nobody really cares about VPI...though it'd be more accurate to include VPI&SU if you wanna go that route.

The ones that get us are VTech, Vah Tech, VTU, and UVT.

EDIT: You would be surprised how often sports announcers don't know the difference between WVU and VT.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 10:11 PM by 4x4hokies.)
09-05-2013 10:07 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(09-05-2013 09:47 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 09:10 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  If Duquesne ever gets its act together, it could prove to be a more valuable addition than any of the aforementioned teams. Bigger market, pro facility, doesn't duplicate any markets and is located central to the rest of the league...but they have to win.

I don't know. It would be great for Duquesne and the city if it could get in to the Big East, but I don't know if they'd ever overcome the shadow of Pitt and regularly draw. Dayton draws better than Pitt. I think Dayton is a much better addition from a pure program perspective even if Duquesne was winning. Now out of St. Louis, Richmond, and VCU, perhaps you could make an argument for the Dukes. But Pittsburgh's hoops scene has plenty of flaws. There is a reason the NBA isn't considered viable in the city and the recruiting grounds are bare. But as you said, Duquesne has to win and make some NCAA tournaments before they can even get in a conversation about getting in the conversation, for which I'm certainly not holding my breath.

And for good reason as Duquesne has been a joke for a very long time now. However, if - and it's admittedly a BIG if - Duquesne ever were to decide to get serious about competing in men's basketball, they would draw just fine and would easily fill up Palumbo and/or the lower bowl of Consol. And, in time, and for big games, they might even fill up both levels of Consol.

Remember, this wouldn't be St. Joseph's and St. Bonaventure coming to town, it would be schools like Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's - all well known and well respected commodities in Pittsburgh. Perhaps even more so than some of Pitt's new ACC foes?

I'm just saying that the natural resources are there. Duquesne is a good school with a ton of local alums - many of whom are quite successful and who would support their program if the program warranted such support.

The Dukes also have a state-of-the-art arena literally located across the street from their Uptown campus.

How many schools have that many things going for them who would also expand their television reach into a top 25 US market? Not many.

So I agree entirely that without a FIRM commitment from them to upgrade their recruiting. facilities, etc., this is all moot. Where I disagree is in the assertion that it couldn't work if they did commit. It absolutely could work if Duquesne wanted it to work.

The Dukes could easily replicate what Xavier has done in Cincinnati, Butler in Indianapolis and what schools like St. Louis, Providence and Villanova have done in their respective cities. However you have to pay to play and for too long Duquesne has been content to sit on the sidelines and be a fringe mid-major A-10 team. That option is quickly drying up and the leadership at Duquesne had better recognize it soon or they are going to be joining Robert Morris in the NEC before it is all said and done.
09-05-2013 11:00 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I could see the AAC actually being the ones to add Witchita State, Dayton, VCU and maybe the Philly schools. I would love to get St Louis, but they are probably headed towards the Big East.
09-05-2013 11:06 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(09-05-2013 09:40 PM)john01992 Wrote:  id really like to see dayton/uconn/umass in the big east and have their football programs join butler, villanova & georgtown find a way to jumpstart big east FCS football

That is pretty funny having UConn and UMass move down to FCS...

Seriously though, I don't think it would be a bad move for UConn to move to the BE in BB and the MAC in FB.....UConn gets to once again play with its rivals in the Big East basketball while the football team has to deal with less travel and an easier schedule.

The MAC could work something out where it gets an MWC type TV deal where UConn would be paid bonuses for appearing on ESPN.

If UConn could make 3 million in BE basketball and 1.2 million in MAC football that would be a lot better than making 1.7 million all sports in the AAC and taking a whipping in FB every year.
09-06-2013 12:07 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Out of Richmond, Saint Louis, VCU, Dayton and Wichita State, the Big East will take 2, and the American will then take at least 1 to offset Navy, and perhaps all 3.
09-06-2013 12:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.