Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question about FBS home games (other than conf. games)
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
How long did it take for you guys to get other FBS teams to come to your place to play (other than conference games) after you moved to the FBS?
08-19-2013 09:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
USA has a game against Kent St at home this year in the first full year of FBS. Mississippi State and Navy visit in 2014.
08-19-2013 09:18 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Question about FBS home games (other than conf. games)
Different scenario for us. We moved up as an indy, then joined the Big West and then there was the scheduling alliance with ASU, UL, La.Tech and Northern Illinois, then back to the Big West and then Sun Belt. We only had to play 8 I-A opponents, no limits on home games. It was probably 6 years or so before we had a non-conference/non-Alliance I-A home game without going and looking it up.
08-19-2013 09:23 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
I think we had Navy and Wyoming set up pretty quick after. It was somewhat easier then because all the realignment really messed up schedules and teams needed replacements.

For instance, we got one game with Neveda at home and New Mexico on the road because they were playing each other in OOC but then Neveda joined the MWC so they needed a game each.

Our first FBS team we hosted was Texas Tech in our last year of transition and a FBS ourselves.
08-19-2013 09:23 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Also Texas St was in a unique situation because the WAC needed teams badly.
08-19-2013 09:25 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

We actually had Texas Tech and Colorado State set fairly early but both got shifted around for various reasons and we had a game in Little Rock vs. Wyoming that just disappeared without explanation so it wouldn't have been quite so long.
08-19-2013 09:25 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
We hosted Marshall in 2003 in our 3rd year as a D1 Indy.

Also a got a ranked Missouri the next year as a SBC football
Member.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 09:39 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
08-19-2013 09:35 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-19-2013 09:08 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  How long did it take for you guys to get other FBS teams to come to your place to play (other than conference games) after you moved to the FBS?

Georgia Southern has a few things going against it here:

1. Satesboro is not a major media market.
2. The campus is not conveniently located for fans to travel.
3. With Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State all located in state, you don't necessarily have to go to Satesboro to satisfy recruits in the area.

My guess is that your best success will either come from realignment creating a lot of scheduling holes, or a series of calls to teams that appear on the future schedule of teams like Navy and Army. No one likes preparing for the Wishbone, so I could see an AAC team finding the value of a Georgia Southern home and home just so they can be better prepared for facing a Wishbone team like Navy when it counts for real in league play.
08-19-2013 09:36 PM
Florida Red Wolf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(08-19-2013 09:08 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  How long did it take for you guys to get other FBS teams to come to your place to play (other than conference games) after you moved to the FBS?

For stAte, it was a struggle to meet the FBS schedule requirement due to us being a independent. You should not have a problem with mid tier FBS teams when you become a full FBS member. Now to get the big boys there such as we have with Miami, and Missouri now on the schedule, it will take time and growth in your program and seating. And a top notch AD that knows the ropes and how to work within the profession. And as we can attest to at stAte, that is not easy to get accomplished either.
08-19-2013 09:38 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-19-2013 09:25 PM)slycat Wrote:  Also Texas St was in a unique situation because the WAC needed teams badly.

That and you play in Texas, where virtually every FBS team is recruiting actively. Easy chance to get a game in front of their recruits.
08-19-2013 09:42 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
FBS teams don't go to FCS stadiums. You'll have to, at least, wait until you are classified FBS transitional to get a home game. It doesn't have to be an in state school, either. More than likely, they're not going to come to Statesboro anyway. Just ask us, we know. TTech was a great get for us last year. UH isn't interested. UTSA is too stuck up to come to SM and, apparently none of the other 9 FBS schools (I haven't mentioned) are interested.

Not to say we don't have OOC FBS home games scheduled, because we do, but they aren't TX schools. 12 to chose from and not a one on the future schedules, yet.
08-19-2013 09:49 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
As far as Big boy teams we have had Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma State at Troy

Duke will come to us next year (hardly Big boy but are ACC)

And Boise State will come to Troy in 2018 (could be bigger by then)
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2013 09:52 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
08-19-2013 09:50 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-19-2013 09:38 PM)Florida Red Wolf Wrote:  

For stAte, it was a struggle to meet the FBS schedule requirement due to us being a independent. You should not have a problem with mid tier FBS teams when you become a full FBS member. Now to get the big boys there such as we have with Miami, and Missouri now on the schedule, it will take time and growth in your program and seating. And a top notch AD that knows the ropes and how to work within the profession. And as we can attest to at stAte, that is not easy to get accomplished either.

That is one way to go about it, and if you honestly asked me, state and Georgia Southern are a lot alike in many areas. We both are not located in a media market, play second fiddle to larger in state AQ schools, and are not easy for fans to get to.

ASU's current Administration favored a radical scheduling philosophy designed to get state games against some of the best teams in the country, and home games against AQ competition to excite the fan base.

Our Philosophy is simple.

1. We guarantee to our fan base 6 home games every season.
2. We refuse to accept guarantee's for less than 1 million dollars.
3. We request a home and home before every agreeing to a guarantee.
4. We ideally attempt to play at least one home game against an AQ school every other year. With a home game against a regional non AQ school in the "other year."

While there are weaknesses to this. For instance, we might have to play 2 FCS games next year because of a lack of available teams, the rewards are just as high. We've picked up games at Oregon and at USC in recent and future years, giving us games in the largest media markets in the country, at the price of a likely beating. Its also landed home games against an SEC and ACC school, something that would have been almost impossible years ago.

If you commit yourself to a standard of scheduling and stay with it, the games will come.
08-19-2013 09:56 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
It's all about who your AD knows.
08-19-2013 09:59 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(08-19-2013 09:59 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  It's all about who your AD knows.

Much truth in the above statement.
08-19-2013 10:08 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

Have Air Force in 2014
08-19-2013 10:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(08-19-2013 09:49 PM)CatMom Wrote:  FBS teams don't go to FCS stadiums.

CatMom... you going to Army @ Yale next year?

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/futur...future.htm
08-20-2013 07:22 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-19-2013 09:59 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  It's all about who your AD knows.

Also about what your AD knows.

Our AD hired during last season inheirited zero non-conference games for 2014.
08-20-2013 08:30 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

I imagine that after your stadium upgrade you will start getting FBS home games,
08-20-2013 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
(08-19-2013 09:36 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Georgia Southern has a few things going against it here:

1. Satesboro is not a major media market.
2. The campus is not conveniently located for fans to travel.
3. With Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State all located in state, you don't necessarily have to go to Satesboro to satisfy recruits in the area.

My guess is that your best success will either come from realignment creating a lot of scheduling holes, or a series of calls to teams that appear on the future schedule of teams like Navy and Army. No one likes preparing for the Wishbone, so I could see an AAC team finding the value of a Georgia Southern home and home just so they can be better prepared for facing a Wishbone team like Navy when it counts for real in league play.

We are an easy drive and have good history with UCF and ECU but i'm not holding my breath. I expect our AD to pull a MAC team out of his hat for 2015 home slate due to his connections with that conference.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 09:33 AM by GaSouthern.)
08-20-2013 09:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.