Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
SIAP: Ohio State board on FIRE as insider claims that B1G and Texas in talks
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Ohio State's premium Scout board is on FIRE right now because a poster- supposedly a credible Ohio State insider- is claiming meetings between Texas and B1G are ongoing.

With the typical caveat that it might be a marketing ploy to lure subscribers, a hacked account, a giant hoax, etc., team #16, mentioned in no particular order (I don't believe the insider knows) as Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, UConn, UVA.
08-03-2013 08:21 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

UHCougar07 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
RE: SIAP: Ohio State board on FIRE as insider claims that B1G and Texas in talks
Sounds interesting.
08-03-2013 08:50 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
RE: SIAP: Ohio State board on FIRE as insider claims that B1G and Texas in talks
(08-03-2013 08:50 PM)UHCougar07 Wrote:  Sounds interesting.

That's the best possible reply to this sort of thing.
08-03-2013 08:56 PM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
wish they would take Mizzou so WVU can go to the SEC where they belong
08-03-2013 09:29 PM
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Message I got re the insider is he's a big booster, more like a mega-booster, has his own luxury suite with coins found in his couch type of thing, knows the admin and staff. He's been around forever, and his identity isn't much of a secret to a lot of top Buckeye supporters.

As usual, how'd he get the information, why share it...maybe he's reading HIS sources wrong.
08-03-2013 09:29 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Texas is feeling a bit bold as they just got recent legislation to keep the board of trustees from messing with the UT President. Rick Perry overstepped his reach
08-03-2013 09:35 PM
Advertisement

RMSko Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rutgers
Still don't see how they could get past a GOR and so for that reason, unless there's a hidden out that nobody knows about, this seems highly unlikely.
08-03-2013 09:40 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(08-03-2013 09:40 PM)RMSko Wrote:  Still don't see how they could get past a GOR and so for that reason, unless there's a hidden out that nobody knows about, this seems highly unlikely.

Oh definitely, just trying to counter the they have to take Baylor and Tech fans
08-03-2013 09:42 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
G
(08-03-2013 08:21 PM)BE4evah Wrote:  Ohio State's premium Scout board is on FIRE right now because a poster- supposedly a credible Ohio State insider- is claiming meetings between Texas and B1G are ongoing.

With the typical caveat that it might be a marketing ploy to lure subscribers, a hacked account, a giant hoax, etc., team #16, mentioned in no particular order (I don't believe the insider knows) as Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, UConn, UVA.

Part right. He listed Texas, Oklahoma and would like to package them with Missouri, Kansas, North Carolina and Virginia. He is right on with everything recruiting and all things Big Ten but missed on a Virginia === B1G projection recently. We'll see.
08-03-2013 09:48 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Read on the Ohio State board a Texas postered said they could get out of the BIG XII for a cool 275 million.
08-03-2013 09:49 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I really hope this is true. Anything that keeps the reallignment wheel turning at the top is a good thing right now.
08-03-2013 10:07 PM
Advertisement

jam2112 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
I don't see the GOR as an issue for Texas. Any contract can be broken. The main problem I see is the B1G want's nothing to do with the Longhorn Network. Would Texas budge on that and scrap the LHN?

Perhaps a compromise on this issue would be regional sub-networks, like what the PAC-12 did. Texas would have to share a regional network with the likes of Nebraska, maybe Iowa and one other school (if there were 4 regional networks covering 4 schools each). Would Texas "lower" themselves like that? I just don't see it.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 10:35 PM by jam2112.)
08-03-2013 10:18 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
If Texas wasn't willing to share the limelight with USC in the Pac-12, why would it be willing to share attention with Michigan and Ohio State in the Big 10?

Sure the Big 10 would love to add the Longhorns but in the end I think Texas will always prefer to be the biggest fish in its own pond.
08-03-2013 10:29 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Really don't think the grant of rights could be gotten around very easily or that the Big Ten would want to. They emphasize it so much, they want it to be worth a lot.
08-03-2013 10:30 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-03-2013 10:26 PM)JRsec Wrote:  If there is any truth to this, which in this case I doubt, then perhaps Dodds is trying to get some negotiating leverage with ESPN should a move in the future become necessary. Since ESPN holds the LHN, these discussions may be an attempt to gain that leverage, or perhaps as the result of ESPN's displeasure with an economic quagmire (LHN) and any suggestion they may have made to morph it into something more productive (like an ACCN).

I'm no fan of Texas but if they did move somewhere I would rather see them add strength to the ACC and insure stability there. It would be productive. The only thing that happens to a Texas cow when it is driven North is that it gets slaughtered upon arrival in Chicago.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 10:39 PM by JRsec.)
08-03-2013 10:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-03-2013 10:30 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Really don't think the grant of rights could be gotten around very easily or that the Big Ten would want to. They emphasize it so much, they want it to be worth a lot.
Well they had it drafted so if anyone knows how to get around it they do. There is a rumor on another board that it may violate some Texas law. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. Nobody could know if there are any loopholes unless they are in possession of a copy of the GOR.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 10:37 PM by JRsec.)
08-03-2013 10:36 PM
Advertisement

ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(08-03-2013 10:32 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 10:26 PM)JRsec Wrote:  If there is any truth to this, which in this case I doubt, then perhaps Dodds is trying to get some negotiating leverage with ESPN should a move in the future become necessary. Since ESPN holds the LHN, these discussions may be an attempt to gain that leverage, or perhaps as the result of ESPN's displeasure with an economic quagmire (LHN) and any suggestion they may have made to morph it into something more productive (like an ACCN).

I'm no fan of Texas but if they did move somewhere I would rather see them add strength to the ACC and insure stability there. It would be productive. The only thing that happens to a Texas cow when it is driven North is that it gets slaughtered around Chicago.

This is what I think as well, JR. Can't see them wanting to go North. I do think they are responding to ESPN's notice about LHN not working as well as A&M's rising threat and the need to do something to offset their growth. I did see on the OSU insider's post that Texas was desirous of Eastern's markets, markets that the B1G could get them. That's the part that didn't jive for me. I think if they want Eastern markets they go ACC and get into VA, NC, SC, GA and FLA, not New Jersey and Maryland. After all, what would they gain by being there? The thing about it that does make sense, the part that gives me pause and the thing that makes me believe it's a real possibility, is the sick amount of money that would be produced by a BTN with OSU, Michigan, Penn State, OK and Texas. I wish, like you, that ND and TX would be in the ACC and balance the equation. Two major finanical juggernauts in every conference that way.
08-03-2013 10:41 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-03-2013 10:41 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  

I'm no fan of Texas but if they did move somewhere I would rather see them add strength to the ACC and insure stability there. It would be productive. The only thing that happens to a Texas cow when it is driven North is that it gets slaughtered around Chicago.

This is what I think as well, JR. Can't see them wanting to go North. I do think they are responding to ESPN's notice about LHN not working as well as A&M's rising threat and the need to do something to offset their growth. I did see on the OSU insider's post that Texas was desirous of Eastern's markets, markets that the B1G could get them. That's the part that didn't jive for me. I think if they want Eastern markets they go ACC and get into VA, NC, SC, GA and FLA, not New Jersey and Maryland. After all, what would they gain by being there? The thing about it that does make sense, the part that gives me pause and the thing that makes me believe it's a real possibility, is the sick amount of money that would be produced by a BTN with OSU, Michigan, Penn State, OK and Texas. I wish, like you, that ND and TX would be in the ACC and balance the equation. Two major finanical juggernauts in every conference that way.

They could take Texas neighbors (at least 2) with them to the ACC. They won't be able to do that with the Big 10. And, I'm not so sure it would be Oklahoma going with them. That could be the price of getting Texas, but OU is not AAU, and Kansas is. I think if they go it will be the Jayhawks going with them instead of the Sooners. On the other hand there are many arrangements that the SEC and ACC could work between them, and with ESPN's blessing, should the Horns choose an ND arrangement in the ACC.

Just think if Texas and Kansas went to the Big 10 how disappointed Texas fans would be with a schedule that only had one possible Oklahoma school and few Texas schools on it. Without Oklahoma in the Big 10 the Horns would have 9 games against Northern schools, possibly one OOC with Oklahoma, leaving only two games a year to schedule their old buddies with. I just can't see them doing that to their fan base.

You are right about the earning potential a Big 10 would have with Texas in it. However Texas is the top grossing school already. If that can't help overcome their issues with the Aggies then the Big 10 and a little more money isn't going to be able to address an issue that obviously resides within the UT administration. Your point about East coast exposure is very valid. The ACC offers much more exposure on the East coast.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 11:00 PM by JRsec.)
08-03-2013 10:52 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Cue the B12 and AAC merger rumors.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 11:02 PM by PirateMarv.)
08-03-2013 11:01 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(08-03-2013 10:52 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 10:41 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  

They could take Texas neighbors (at least 2) with them to the ACC. They won't be able to do that with the Big 10. And, I'm not so sure it would be Oklahoma going with them. That could be the price of getting Texas, but OU is not AAU, and Kansas is. I think if they go it will be the Jayhawks going with them instead of the Sooners. On the other hand there are many arrangements that the SEC and ACC could work between them, and with ESPN's blessing, should the Horns choose an ND arrangement in the ACC.

Just think if Texas and Kansas went to the Big 10 how disappointed Texas fans would be with a schedule that only had one possible Oklahoma school and few Texas schools on it. Without Oklahoma in the Big 10 the Horns would have 9 games against Northern schools, possibly one OOC with Oklahoma, leaving only two games a year to schedule their old buddies with. I just can't see them doing that to their fan base.

That's true about Texas not being able to take TT, BU, etc. Though if the Big 10 did take OK, MU and KU they would have 4 of their buddies adding in NEB. They could definitely have more of their cake and eat it too in the ACC. This could just be leverage, as you said, to give their position weight when negotiating a better deal with the ACC, whether it's partial membership like ND with LHN intact or full membership with LHN folding into an ACCN. It's also possible they simply want ESPN to continue to pay them for the LHN and the threat of losing Texas to FOX and the BTN could force ESPN to give in.
08-03-2013 11:02 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.