Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The G5 and P5 will be together for years to come..
Bookmark and Share
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
The G5 and P5 will be together for years to come..
It's just my opinion and a SWAG but the 150-160 model seems pretty likely *if* anything happens.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/7/30/45653...on-members

For the powerful schools like Alabama and USC there is the desire to play 8 home games. The Millions of dollars per home game made at the gate, the concessions stand, and in the parking lot are too good to pass up. By some estimates Ohio State pulls in about five million dollars per home game they sell out.

The Buckeyes are going to sell out opening week games no matter who the opponent is so why not buy a game against UB and earn four million or so after the payout? It's the same thing the mid majors do with FCS teams just on a bigger scale.

The more modest P5 football programs need home games against mid majors to go bowling every once in a while. A power school like Texas sitting home happens once in a blue moon. For some of the lesser P5 schools a bowl is really something special and usually it's owned to at least one win against the G5.

Just look at Iowa State. The Cyclones have been in just three bowl games since 2005. Each of those years (2009, 2011, 2012) the Cyclones finished the season at 6-6. In 2009 they beat North Dakota (FCS), Kent (MAC), and Army. In 2011 they owed their sixth win to North Dakota State (FCS), then last season they beat Tulsa (CUSA) and Western Illinois (FCS).

As an aside their 2009 Bowl Win came over a 6-6 Minnesota team who needed to beat Air Force (MWC), and South Dakota State (FCS).
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2013 11:25 AM by Bull_In_Exile.)
07-30-2013 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael the Narwhal Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU, Arkansas
RE: The G5 and P5 will be together for years to come..
I think the funniest part about the whole "programs with similar budgets" comment, is that one of the largest athletic spending gaps exists within the conference it came from.

In the Big 12:
Texas -- Spent $133,686,815 in 2011
Iowa State -- Spent $48,591,617 in 2011
Source: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/co...54955804/1

That's right, Texas has a budget more than twice that of the smallest public conference member. I can only imagine Baylor/TCU has an even bigger difference compared to the conference giants.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2013 12:26 PM by Michael the Narwhal.)
07-30-2013 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.