2013 Sun Belt Predictions
07-28-2013 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: 2013 Sun Belt Predictions
"The defense has few starters returning and should be even worse though, they were already pretty bad to begin with so that won’t bode well for the Trojans. "

I wouldn't bank on that. On paper we have just as much talent as anyone in the conference with 4 Top 20 athletes from their respective high school classes (#19 CB, #13 DE, #12 DT, #6 ILB). Teams like Arkansas State and Louisiana have been able to pump out great teams with few "returning starters". Troy, with Larry Blakeney and Wayne Bolt should be no different. We may not have a Top 25 to even a Top 50 defense, but I have a hunch the days of ranking in the 80' to 110's are over.

As for the offense. The offense will be just as prolific as last year (#1 Total Offense in the SBC by 30ypg). If we can hang on to the ball this year we'll turn those into points. We've ran our system going on eight years now and have had very few problems running it over the years. Troy has the ability to reload here.

Texas State is becoming a very good program. But I doubt Troy finishes 6th this year behind all four Power 4 SBC schools and Texas State.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 07:18 PM by TroyFootball05.)
07-28-2013 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Troyboy redux Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy U & SBC
(07-28-2013 05:39 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  "The defense has few starters returning and should be even worse though, they were already pretty bad to begin with so that won’t bode well for the Trojans. "

I wouldn't bank on that. On paper we have just as much talent as anyone in the conference with 4 Top 20 athletes from their respective high school classes (#19 CB, #13 DE, #12 DT, #6 ILB). Teams like Arkansas State and Louisiana have been able to pump out great teams with few "returning starters". Troy, with Larry Blakeney and Wayne Bolt should be no different. We may not have a Top 25 to even a Top 50 defense, but I have a hunch the days of ranking in the 80' to 110's are over.

As for the offense. The offense will be just as prolific as last year (#1 Total Offense in the SBC by 30ypg). If we can hang on to the ball this year we'll turn those into points. We've ran our system going on eight years now and have had very problems running it over the years. Troy has the ability to reload here.

Texas State is becoming a very good program. But I doubt Troy finishes 6th this year behind all four Power 4 SBC schools and Texas State.

Dude!...You're my hero. 01-ncaabbs
07-28-2013 05:51 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
You know ASU is going to be fighting the media this year when our own beat writer is convinced we have no shot at the league title. At least this guy picks us 2nd and gives us a shot.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 05:59 PM by chiefsfan.)
07-28-2013 05:58 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(07-28-2013 05:58 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You know ASU is going to be fighting the media this year when our own beat writer is convinced we have no shot at the league title. At least this guy picks us 2nd and gives us a shot.
Your so called beat writer is full of it, and everyone knows that, and ASU will win the SBC crown for a 3rd straight year.

UL might be good, heck they are good as is ULM, WKU, and maybe Troy but they have no chance whatsoever of getting out of Jonesboro with a win.

ULM, WKU (2013 is a death march for them) , Troy and Texas State simply don't have the 2-deep that ASU and UL have and that will get them beat down the stretch.............again.

Whoever ASU's QB is this year, and they have the best group in the history of ASU to pick from, will surpass any season Aplin had.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 07:03 PM by Seminole Indian.)
07-28-2013 06:54 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-28-2013 06:54 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(07-28-2013 05:58 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  You know ASU is going to be fighting the media this year when our own beat writer is convinced we have no shot at the league title. At least this guy picks us 2nd and gives us a shot.
Your so called beat writer is full of it, and everyone knows that, and ASU will win the SBC crown for a 3rd straight year.

UL might be good, heck they are good as is ULM, WKU, and maybe Troy but they have no chance whatsoever of getting out of Jonesboro with a win.

ULM, WKU (2013 is a death march for them) , Troy and Texas State simply don't have the 2-deep that ASU and UL have and that will get them beat down the stretch.............again.

Whoever ASU's QB is this year, and they have the best group in the history of ASU to pick from, will surpass any season Aplin had.

By what metric? Wins? Yards? QB Rating?
07-28-2013 07:19 PM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte

You know I would like to think your comment about this years QB is right....but man...I doubt it. I just hope he is solid.
07-28-2013 07:29 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
(07-28-2013 07:19 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  

ULM has a strong 3 deep. You are uninformed if you think differently.
07-28-2013 07:30 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-28-2013 07:30 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  

I didn't say **** about ULM. Quote someone else.
07-28-2013 07:32 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
(07-28-2013 07:32 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  
(07-28-2013 07:30 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  

I didn't say **** about ULM. Quote someone else.

I know you didn't. I was talking to Seminole.
07-28-2013 07:38 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
If our defense is as bad or worse this season I will pay all SBC members 20 bucks.
07-28-2013 08:11 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(07-28-2013 08:11 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  If our defense is as bad or worse this season I will pay all SBC members 20 bucks.

. . . would you like us to start sending you our addresses . .. so you'll know where to send the money . . . (just in case) . . . 05-stirthepot

(Should it come to pass, you can send my $20.00 to the TX ST Bobcat Athletic Department . . . I know $20. bucks won't go far these days, but every little bit helps) . . . and THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU !
07-28-2013 08:31 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Not too many get this in the national media or those not close to program but losing Jakes may not be necessarily a bad thing.....Yes sure he was efficient his senior season, but he could not make any throw past 15 yards and even in senior season took him almost the entire play clock to get the play in...Jakes also had a running game that was unstoppable and still could not make the throws past 15 yards to get it done and take advantage of 8 in the box every game..I appreciate what he did in terms of leadership, but losing Jakes will not be the reason we are the middle of the pack team....DL is a huge ? I agree, but everything else is solid.....WOuld not be surprised with a 2nd or 3rd place but doubt we finish below 3rd even with everyone best game against us....Why do I say that, because we simply have the best coach the Sun Belt has ever had and that should count for something....ANd before everyone jumps all over me, I am not saying we are going to dominante and and be undefeated and be in a BCS bowl, I am just saying I firmly believe Petrino will win a few games due to his coaching that will have us in top 3 of this conf. this season...
07-28-2013 08:44 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-28-2013 08:44 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Not too many get this in the national media or those not close to program but losing Jakes may not be necessarily a bad thing.....Yes sure he was efficient his senior season, but he could not make any throw past 15 yards and even in senior season took him almost the entire play clock to get the play in...Jakes also had a running game that was unstoppable and still could not make the throws past 15 yards to get it done and take advantage of 8 in the box every game..I appreciate what he did in terms of leadership, but losing Jakes will not be the reason we are the middle of the pack team....DL is a huge ? I agree, but everything else is solid.....WOuld not be surprised with a 2nd or 3rd place but doubt we finish below 3rd even with everyone best game against us....Why do I say that, because we simply have the best coach the Sun Belt has ever had and that should count for something....ANd before everyone jumps all over me, I am not saying we are going to dominante and and be undefeated and be in a BCS bowl, I am just saying I firmly believe Petrino will win a few games due to his coaching that will have us in top 3 of this conf. this season...

Petrino will definitely be the biggest **** in the conference.... the best coach......That remains to be seen.

Z
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 10:16 PM by SkullyMaroo.)
07-28-2013 08:53 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
These Sun Belt preseason picks don't mean a thing. I've often wondered if they really spend much time researching our conference. UL, ULM, Troy, ASU or WKU could win this conference IMHO. ULM looked like a juggernaut early in the season only to fizzle out. I wouldn't be surprised to see USA making some noise. Anything can happen in the Bolt.
07-28-2013 10:04 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-28-2013 08:11 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  If our defense is as bad or worse this season I will pay all SBC members 20 bucks.

I am taking a screen shot of this post just in case it actually happens and you use your spidey powers to make this post disappear.
07-28-2013 10:22 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(07-28-2013 06:54 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  UL might be good, heck they are good as is ULM, WKU, and maybe Troy but they have no chance whatsoever of getting out of Jonesboro with a win.

Jonesboro is a tough place to play. We do have a few advantages this time around, though. Hoping for a win.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 11:43 PM by TroyFootball05.)
07-28-2013 11:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(07-28-2013 10:22 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I am taking a screen shot of this post just in case it actually happens and you use your spidey powers to make this post disappear.

Are we talking Total Defense or Scoring Defense?
07-28-2013 11:47 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-28-2013 11:47 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(07-28-2013 10:22 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Are we talking Total Defense or Scoring Defense?

Good question...
07-29-2013 12:55 AM
correcamino Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA
(07-28-2013 10:04 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  These Sun Belt preseason picks don't mean a thing. I've often wondered if they really spend much time researching our conference. UL, ULM, Troy, ASU or WKU could win this conference IMHO. ULM looked like a juggernaut early in the season only to fizzle out. I wouldn't be surprised to see USA making some noise. Anything can happen in the Bolt.

I wrote the article. I dont follow UL as closely as you do or any of the other teams as closely as their respective fanbases do, and I wont act like I do...but I did catch atleast 1-2 games (alot more for certain teams)last season of every team in the Belt and also did my share of research prior to the article. Not a media member that overlooks the smaller conferences either, just a fan writing for fun.

But yeah youre right, predictions are simply opinions and have no say in how seasons actually play out on the field. But I still enjoy them because it gives us a reason to talk football in the off-season. 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 03:17 AM by correcamino.)
07-29-2013 03:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.