ESPN Regional and ESPN3
Bookmark and Share
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
ESPN Regional and ESPN3
43m
Matt Sarzyniak @mattsarz
Important MAC note: For 1st three weeks of season, nearly every MAC home game is ESPN3 exclusive http://mattsarzsports.com/Football2013

2h
Matt Sarzyniak @mattsarz
Key parts of MAC release: Tulsa-BG on ESPNU, 6 ESPN Regional games, several more ESPN3 exclusives, plus other regional TV games.
06-18-2013 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
RE: ESPN Regional and ESPN3
Well the ESPN3 games screw me as I can't watch them through Directv.
06-18-2013 06:43 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(06-18-2013 06:43 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Well the ESPN3 games screw me as I can't watch them through Directv.

Just curious:

Does anyone know what type of 'market penetration' ESPN3 has?

I have ESPN3 through my Internet Service Provider but I'm curious if it is carried by the bigger ISPs?
06-18-2013 08:20 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-18-2013 05:29 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  43m
Matt Sarzyniak @mattsarz
Important MAC note: For 1st three weeks of season, nearly every MAC home game is ESPN3 exclusive http://mattsarzsports.com/Football2013

2h
Matt Sarzyniak @mattsarz
Key parts of MAC release: Tulsa-BG on ESPNU, 6 ESPN Regional games, several more ESPN3 exclusives, plus other regional TV games.

BTW, this is consistent what I posed in another thread about MAC TV, namely, ESPN has rights to all of the MAC home games.

We can't take them and try to shop them another netotwork.
06-18-2013 08:22 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
keep in mind too that this is just MAC home games, there will likely be several MAC road OOC games on the network as well.
06-18-2013 08:31 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
(06-18-2013 08:20 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(06-18-2013 06:43 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Well the ESPN3 games screw me as I can't watch them through Directv.

Just curious:

I have ESPN3 through my Internet Service Provider but I'm curious if it is carried by the bigger ISPs?

I have Centurylink bundled with Directv neither of them carry ESPN3. I had Time Warner which carried it but I have a complete hatred for TWC and will never go back.
06-18-2013 08:38 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping

Just curious:

"ESPN3.com is currently available in more than 70 million households through computers, tablets and smart phones and in 25 million households via Xbox gaming consoles."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2011/8/15/20...ement.aspx

STRONG DIGITAL NUMBERS FOR NBA COVERAGE
Game 1 of The Finals on ABC live through special simulcasts on ESPN3 was the largest NBA game of the season to date with over 8.6 million total minutes and an average minute audience of 54,000 across computers, smartphones, tablets and Xbox (source: Adobe SiteCatalyst).

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas...ince-2004/

ESPN3 has the same audience reach as ESPNU

54,000 watched the NBA Finals Game 1 on ESPN3. How that relates to MAC TV ratings on ESPN3 I don't know. The NBA Finals is obviously a much bigger and anticipated event, however keep in mind, that the game was also broadcast live on ABC at the same time where as a MAC game would not. The ESPN3 viewers for the NBA Finals had to be people on the go that didn't have a TV available. I'd think only existing MAC fans would be tuning into ESPN3 to catch a game vs drawing in casual viewers flipping through the channels on their TV looking for something to watch as in the case for ESPNU.

The digital channels and broadcast channels will blur together in the future.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 08:42 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
06-18-2013 08:40 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-18-2013 08:40 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

Just curious:

"ESPN3.com is currently available in more than 70 million households through computers, tablets and smart phones and in 25 million households via Xbox gaming consoles."

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2011/8/15/20...ement.aspx

STRONG DIGITAL NUMBERS FOR NBA COVERAGE
Game 1 of The Finals on ABC live through special simulcasts on ESPN3 was the largest NBA game of the season to date with over 8.6 million total minutes and an average minute audience of 54,000 across computers, smartphones, tablets and Xbox (source: Adobe SiteCatalyst).

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas...ince-2004/

ESPN3 has the same audience reach as ESPNU

54,000 watched the NBA Finals Game 1 on ESPN3. How that relates to MAC TV ratings on ESPN3 I don't know. The NBA Finals is obviously a much bigger and anticipated event, however keep in mind, that the game was also broadcast live on ABC at the same time where as a MAC game would not. The ESPN3 viewers for the NBA Finals had to be people on the go that didn't have a TV available. I'd think only existing MAC fans would be tuning into ESPN3 to catch a game vs drawing in casual viewers flipping through the channels on their TV looking for something to watch as in the case for ESPNU.

The digital channels and broadcast channels will blur together in the future.

Good info. Thanks.

70M is a big number.

The only 'problem' I have with ESPN3 is that I can't record a game to replay at a later date (I mean weeks or months later) like I would do with DVR.
06-19-2013 05:53 AM
Rocketdamus Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the Rockets....
I love ESPN 3. It really is the future and it's one of the benefits of with ESPN. As a Rocket fan, I was able to watch almost every away game. It's not a completed product yet, but I think it's huge for the MAC. We would have dreamed of this 20 years ago.
06-19-2013 07:08 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-19-2013 07:08 AM)Rocketdamus Wrote:  I love ESPN 3. It really is the future and it's one of the benefits of with ESPN. As a Rocket fan, I was able to watch almost every away game. It's not a completed product yet, but I think it's huge for the MAC. We would have dreamed of this 20 years ago.

You are absolutely right.

Twenty years ago I might see one EMU game on television per season (actually maybe ZERO).

Now I see every game be it ESPN family, EMU and MAC webcasts, or some other network like BTN and this year Army on CBS' college sports network.

I don't know how fans can thumb their nose at ESPN3.

In years past those games would not have been seen on any screen be it television or computer.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 07:23 AM by emu steve.)
06-19-2013 07:22 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
I'm fine with E$PN3, as long as they don't make MAC teams play on Tues/Wed/Thurs just to be on E$PN3.
06-19-2013 07:34 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Then you won't be fine with it because that is exactly what they are going to do so they have options for which game to put on their other channels. There is no viable broadcast outlet to handle the bulk of MAC games on Saturday afternoon. Having 2-3-4 games midweek is what we have because we don't have a better outlet for our games. Since a well-attended MAC game has 20K+ fans on a Saturday, putting it on a weekday makes little difference in the big scheme of things. It's inconvenient for a certain group of fans, but it allows many others to see the game on some platform or another. The audience has become wide and thinly layered as opposed to mostly local and live, but not all that big.
06-19-2013 08:51 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
ESPN Regional and ESPN3
(06-19-2013 07:34 AM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  I'm fine with E$PN3, as long as they don't make MAC teams play on Tues/Wed/Thurs just to be on E$PN3.

Yeah I was actually wondering this. Have there been espn3 only games that are on a day other than Saturday?
If you're not going to put us on a real tv channel, at least let us have our Saturday games to help with fan attendance.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 11:18 AM by Potomac.)
06-19-2013 11:18 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-19-2013 11:18 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(06-19-2013 07:34 AM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  I'm fine with E$PN3, as long as they don't make MAC teams play on Tues/Wed/Thurs just to be on E$PN3.

Yeah I was actually wondering this. Have there been espn3 only games that are on a day other than Saturday?
If you're not going to put us on a real tv channel, at least let us have our Saturday games to help with fan attendance.

Here is the 2013 MAC FB schedule and it tells a nice story (honest).

http://www.mac-sports.com/tabid/969/Arti...edule.aspx

When one looks carefully at the midweek schedule, it appears that ESPN plans to put most of the games on ESPN2 or ESPNU, with ESPNU (or ESPN3) a backup if the game is not shown on a broadcast channel.

It appears there are a number of two-game schedules where one game can be on the 'bigger' network (e.g., ESPN2) and the other on the lesser (e.g., ESPNU or ESPN3).

I see no mid-week games where a game is scheduled for the purpose of putting it on ESPN3.

RE: "Black Friday" games: The Saturday after Thanksgiving is bad for 2 reasons: 1). It is killer to go up against UofM/OSU, etc. 2). The MACC is played on a Friday and the extra day is a good thing.
06-19-2013 11:51 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

ESPN Regional and ESPN3
So the answer is yes, games that only air on espn3 may still be forced on a non-Saturday. That's stupid.
06-19-2013 12:13 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-19-2013 12:13 PM)Potomac Wrote:  So the answer is yes, games that only air on espn3 may still be forced on a non-Saturday. That's stupid.

Grand total of ONE MIDWEEK game, Nov 12.

All of the other mid-week games will be ESPN2 or ESPNU.

I think the mid-week schedule is a big plus for the conference.
06-19-2013 12:33 PM
Advertisement

Rocketdamus Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the Rockets....
(06-19-2013 12:33 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(06-19-2013 12:13 PM)Potomac Wrote:  So the answer is yes, games that only air on espn3 may still be forced on a non-Saturday. That's stupid.

Let's now see if ESPN writes a bigger check for the "programming"...
06-19-2013 12:38 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

ESPN Regional and ESPN3

Some of those are listed as espnu/espn3 and are at the exact same time and date. One will get aired and another forced to online streaming. It's more than one midweek espn3 game.
There's also the two games on 8/29 and are only on espn3.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 12:45 PM by Potomac.)
06-19-2013 12:42 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Maybe I'll have to add the "U" to my cable service....never had it before and didn't really miss it much.
06-19-2013 12:44 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-19-2013 12:42 PM)Potomac Wrote:  

Some of those are listed as espnu/espn3 and are at the exact same time and date. One will get aired and another forced to online streaming. It's more than one midweek espn3 game.
There's also the two games on 8/29 and are only on espn3.

I didn't look at August 29, but many schools prefer to open on that Thursday night, irrespective of television, rather than play on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

Schools and conferences do 'there own thing' for Labor Day weekend and Thanksgiving weekend.

"Some of those are listed as espnu/espn3 and are at the exact same time and date. One will get aired and another forced to online streaming. It's more than one midweek espn3 game."

One days are you referring other than November 12?

The MAC does play games on Black Friday (rather than the next day, but many schools do that as it is a 'rivaly day' also).

I don't consider Black Friday any differently than that Saturday.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 01:09 PM by emu steve.)
06-19-2013 12:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.