Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2 weeks to go!
Bookmark and Share
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
2 weeks to go!
2 weeks from today we're officially a conference!
i have to admit im getting slightly concerned about no announcement about our new commish. could they be waiting until july 1st?
06-17-2013 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: 2 weeks to go!
(06-17-2013 08:38 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  i have to admit im getting slightly concerned about no announcement about our new commish.
not a crisis, but it does seem a bit odd.
06-17-2013 10:05 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I guess with Louisville getting knocked out of the CWS, the old 15 team Big East is officially done now.

It's amazing not only with us, but all the other moves- the enormity of what is going to happen come 7/1. It may be the biggest moving year ever quite frankly(I'd compare it only to '96 when the Big 8 and SWC made the Big 12).
06-18-2013 09:17 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

7 weeks to go!
According to the NCAA, the Big East will change it's name on July 1st to the American. Technicalities of the change, the new non-football Big East will not be recognized as a conference until August 1st.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 03:14 PM by IceJus10.)
06-18-2013 03:00 PM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

7 weeks to go!
Just in case anyone wants to dispute me as usual...

Quote:The Division I Board of Directors on Thursday officially recognized the prospective Big East Conference as a Division I multisport conference, effective Aug. 1.

Members of the new conference include Butler, Providence, Creighton, St. John’s, DePaul, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and Xavier.

The addition creates changes within the current Division I governance structure as well, adding representatives of the Big East to the Leadership Council, Legislative Council and Championships/Sport Management Cabinet and changing the vote weights for the Division I (no football) conferences to 1.14 from 1.2 on those groups. The new Big East will also enter the rotation for representation on the Division I Board of Directors.

The Board also noted that on July 1, the current Big East Conference will change its name to the American Athletic Conference. That conference will maintain its positions within the governance structure.

The above is quoted from the NCAA Press Release... D1 Board Recognizes New Conference
06-18-2013 03:12 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-18-2013 09:17 AM)stever20 Wrote:  It's amazing not only with us, but all the other moves- the enormity of what is going to happen come 7/1. It may be the biggest moving year ever quite frankly(I'd compare it only to '96 when the Big 8 and SWC made the Big 12).
It's hard to "see" history as it is happening. But for the moment, I believe that the changes due to take place this year and next year represent the end of an era that began with Penn State joining the Big Ten and Notre Dame getting its own TV-deal with NBC, both which happened in 1990. To me, most of the "big" changes since then represented efforts by other leagues and other universities to react to those initial changes.
06-18-2013 03:25 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

(06-18-2013 03:00 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  According to the NCAA, the Big East will change it's name on July 1st to the American. Technicalities of the change, the new non-football Big East will not be recognized as a conference until August 1st.

it may not be "recognized" until aug 1, but it will still be a conference
06-18-2013 07:53 PM
Advertisement

trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
2 weeks to go!
Yes. And this topic had been discussed when the NCAA made the announcement so no one would dispute it.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 08:30 PM by trephin.)
06-18-2013 08:20 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

(06-18-2013 07:53 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  
(06-18-2013 03:00 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  According to the NCAA, the Big East will change it's name on July 1st to the American. Technicalities of the change, the new non-football Big East will not be recognized as a conference until August 1st.

it may not be "recognized" until aug 1, but it will still be a conference

The more I think about all of it, the reason there isn't a lot of word on commissioner and offices and etc... is probably because the new Big East doesn't really launch until August 1st - so I expect such announcements will be made through the month of July to be ready for August 1st.
06-19-2013 12:05 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

My take on it us that the BE will start July 1st but they won't be recognised as a full fledge auto bid conference until aug 1st. I could be wrong. It just seems odd that these schools would be "independent" from July 1 to Aug 1.
Oh wel
06-19-2013 07:33 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(06-18-2013 03:25 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-18-2013 09:17 AM)stever20 Wrote:  It's amazing not only with us, but all the other moves- the enormity of what is going to happen come 7/1. It may be the biggest moving year ever quite frankly(I'd compare it only to '96 when the Big 8 and SWC made the Big 12).
It's hard to "see" history as it is happening. But for the moment, I believe that the changes due to take place this year and next year represent the end of an era that began with Penn State joining the Big Ten and Notre Dame getting its own TV-deal with NBC, both which happened in 1990. To me, most of the "big" changes since then represented efforts by other leagues and other universities to react to those initial changes.

I don't dispute this notion at all, but what I would say is this is still the biggest single year we've seen definitely since '96.
06-19-2013 08:10 AM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
One more week!

[Image: proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgtaHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5v...k0N8c2buQc]
06-24-2013 08:10 PM
trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
2 weeks to go!
I wonder if that tells us that the logo and other properties will remain the same? I suppose everything could still change and the billboard would may come down or change July 1?
06-24-2013 08:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.