Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Migel Paul invited to work out with Washington Wizards
Bookmark and Share
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Migel Paul invited to work out with Washington Wizards
Quote:Miguel Paul (PG), East Carolina, 6-1, 170 lbs.
Paul averaged a school-record 7.2 assists in 2012-13. He's the purest point of the group. The Wizards didn't really have anyone like Paul last season, and the senior should be available late second-round if Washington wants to go for a point guard over a scorer.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wizards-...uts-monday

Their back up PG AJ Price stinks and is a free agent so he might get a real hard look in the draft. Apparently this is the second team working him out, (don't know the other). I don't know if either gets drafted but expect he and Kemp both get in some NBA camps and summer league and will have a chance to hook on with a team. If Kemp had 20 more pounds of muscle it would be really hard to keep him out of the NBA.

This outlet has Kemp projected just outside of the second round

http://usportshub.com/Draft/2013-Draft-Prospects-m

They are both certainly on the NBA radar
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 12:48 AM by StillJonesing.)
06-03-2013 12:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Migel Paul invited to work out with Washington Wizards
I think Kemp has a pretty fair chance to make an NBA roster as a FA. Not as confident that Paul will. Kemp needs to put on some weight like you mention, but I can see a team taking a chance on him.
06-03-2013 08:56 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-03-2013 08:56 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I think Kemp has a pretty fair chance to make an NBA roster as a FA. Not as confident that Paul will. Kemp needs to put on some weight like you mention, but I can see a team taking a chance on him.

Kemp's dad is about 6-11 and really skinny. I have a feeling it's always going to be really hard for him to gain and maintain weight. Classic hard gainer and it's a shame because 20lbs are probably all that really separates him from sticking at that level. He had some great length for a SF when measured 7-1 wingspan, 8-10 standing reach but only weighed 176.

That will be hard to overcome. I can see someone taking a chance and trying to bulk him up but I actually think he will have a better window to actually stick in the NBA when he hits his late 20's after a few years in Europe and is in his prime and is more likely to have put some weight on than initially and got his "man" body. Paul will likely either land in the NBA in the next two years or never. I don't think he has much upside but I could see him getting a couple 10 day contracts because he can distribute and shoot a little. I think both can play a little in the NBA. It might only be a 10 day contract or two but I think they probably start the year overseas and some bad teams might give them both a look in the spring when bad teams just bring players in to see what they do.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 10:35 AM by StillJonesing.)
06-03-2013 09:38 AM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Also I was looking up the program history of players that actually made it to the NBA from teams we compete with for players or that had notable programs.

The number of players that schools had to actually play in the NBA.

9 Gonzaga
9 Wichita St
9 ODU
8 Charlotte
8 UAB
6 VCU
5 Butler
3 ECU
3 Richmond
3 GMU

It's not as common as you would think to put players in the NBA if you aren't in a major conference. To have 2 in one year on the radar and that will have a chance at all is pretty solid when you really dig down to how many actually make it at all from this level.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 10:36 AM by StillJonesing.)
06-03-2013 10:01 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
SJ, I'm just curious, what criteria are you using for played in the NBA? Is it one game? Ten games? Simply making a roster?
06-03-2013 10:36 AM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-03-2013 10:36 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  SJ, I'm just curious, what criteria are you using for played in the NBA? Is it one game? Ten games? Simply making a roster?

NBA reference list every player that played at least 1 game in the NBA(or ABA) from your school.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv...ollege=uab

As you can see a couple of your players only played 2 games in their career and none played more than 98 games or averaged more than 3ppg, so there are certainly different levels of success even among the players you place in the NBA. Gonzaga of course had John Stockton for comparison in their 9 players.

I was a actually surprised though schools like VCU and even the class mid majors had put as few in the league as they had and most they did land there were pretty average at that. Clearly even making it for a couple a games at all would be quite and accomplishment as rare as it is for all players coming from this level. Sticking for 3+ years is even far more rare.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 11:42 AM by StillJonesing.)
06-03-2013 10:42 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-03-2013 10:01 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  The number of players that schools had to actually play in the NBA.

9 Gonzaga
9 Wichita St
9 ODU
8 Charlotte
8 UAB
6 VCU
5 Butler
3 ECU
3 Richmond
3 GMU

Out of this list, these are the only players from these schools that were career double digit scorers in the NBA.

John Stockton- Gonzaga
Xavier McDaniels-Wichita St
Cornbread Maxwell -Charlotte
Blue Edwards- ECU
Chris Gatling-ODU
Johnny Newman-Richmond
Gordon Hayward-Butler
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 11:07 AM by StillJonesing.)
06-03-2013 11:03 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
Yeah, it is surprising the way things go. A lot of the good mid-major teams tend to have really solid teams, more so then really great players. There are some exceptions to that, but even those guys don't always do well at the next level.(Adam Morrison is the first guy who comes to mind, but then Stephen Curry and Kenneth Faried have had success) It's really just tough to judge. Some of UAB's best players the past decade or so haven't made it to the NBA(Vaden, Moore, Aaron Johnson, Sanders, Millsap, Delaney, etc.), while a guy like Squeaky and a head case like Sharpe have.

There are so many players in college/overseas/the D Leage/etc., and so few roster sports in the NBA, that it really makes it tough on a guy who has a perceived flaw or two before even playing a game against elite competition. The guaranteed contracts also don't help any of the young guys' cases.

I think either guy from ECU this year could make it in the NBA, but I'm not sure either will be given the chance.
06-03-2013 11:24 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

These are the number of players for those schools that actually played more than 100 games in the NBA

8 Wichta St
6 Gonzaga
5 ODU
3 VCU
3 Butler
2 ECU
2 Charlotte
1 Richmond
0 GMU
0 UAB

That's an even weaker list. We've been about as good as any of these schools at producing quality NBA pros which is not saying much when it's only a couple players. Pretty shocking actually.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 11:48 AM by StillJonesing.)
06-03-2013 11:37 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
I think Paul needs to get the head on his shoulders a little better or he could easily be taken out of an NBA game mentally. I don't doubt his skills, but that mental part is the key that opens the door for him. Not sure if the Wiz are looking at guards though...
06-03-2013 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.