Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fox Sports 1: Utah State at Utah is FS1's first CFB game
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/76563...twork.html
Quote:Utah's season-opener against Utah State, set for Thursday, Aug. 29, will kick off at 6 p.m. MT and will mark the first college football game broadcast on FOX Sports 1, FOX's new national, multi-sport network.

Variety says FS1 will also have a Friday night game the next day -- best guess (because of the rights Fox holds) is the only Big 12 game that day, North Dakota State at Kansas State. FWIW, Variety also says Fox projects it will get $1 per cable/satellite subscriber for FS1.

The Pac-12 also released its TV lineup for weeks 1-3. No surprises.

I'm guessing that Fox is having difficulty getting FS1 on cable systems in Utah. Why am I guessing this? Because three of the Utes' first four home games are on FS1. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.
05-29-2013 11:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Fox Sports 1: Utah State at Utah is FS1's first CFB game
(05-29-2013 11:46 PM)Wedge Wrote:  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/76563...twork.html
Quote:Utah's season-opener against Utah State, set for Thursday, Aug. 29, will kick off at 6 p.m. MT and will mark the first college football game broadcast on FOX Sports 1, FOX's new national, multi-sport network.

Variety says FS1 will also have a Friday night game the next day -- best guess (because of the rights Fox holds) is the only Big 12 game that day, North Dakota State at Kansas State. FWIW, Variety also says Fox projects it will get $1 per cable/satellite subscriber for FS1.

I'm guessing that Fox is having difficulty getting FS1 on cable systems in Utah. Why am I guessing this? Because three of the Utes' first four home games are on FS1. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

To put that dollar per subscriber in perspective, ESPN gets something in the neighborhood of $5.38 per subscriber, while the average cable network gets 20.8 cents. I'm surprised we aren't seeing more cable sports networks forming.

CUSA is also expected to be broadcast on FS1.
05-30-2013 07:37 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(05-29-2013 11:46 PM)Wedge Wrote:  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/76563...twork.html

It sounds like Fox is trying to establish a network to compete head to head with ESPN, so I imagine it will be on basic cable. I think it will be as available as the PAC networks in the PAC footprint and more available in the Eastern US. With Uverse reportedly picking up the PAC networks, it will be interesting to see if DTV continues to put all its eggs in the NFL Sunday ticket basket or if they pick up FS1, SEC, PAC, and ACC networks.
05-30-2013 09:07 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-30-2013 09:07 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  

It sounds like Fox is trying to establish a network to compete head to head with ESPN, so I imagine it will be on basic cable. I think it will be as available as the PAC networks in the PAC footprint and more available in the Eastern US. With Uverse reportedly picking up the PAC networks, it will be interesting to see if DTV continues to put all its eggs in the NFL Sunday ticket basket or if they pick up FS1, SEC, PAC, and ACC networks.

If the SPEEED network is on UTah basic cable now, then FS1 will almost certainly be on basic cable.
05-30-2013 09:27 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2013 09:27 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

If the SPEEED network is on UTah basic cable now, then FS1 will almost certainly be on basic cable.

Price is an issue, even on cable systems that currently carry Speed. Reportedly Fox is getting 22 cents per household for Speed and asking $1 per household for FS1.
05-30-2013 09:49 PM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(05-30-2013 09:49 PM)Wedge Wrote:  If the SPEEED network is on UTah basic cable now, then FS1 will almost certainly be on basic cable.

Price is an issue, even on cable systems that currently carry Speed. Reportedly Fox is getting 22 cents per household for Speed and asking $1 per household for FS1.

Hell, $1 for FS1.. vs. $5.54 for ESPN?

Quote:Pay TV distributors currently shell out about 22 cents per subscriber each month for Speed — and $5.54 for ESPN — research firm SNL Kagan estimates.

So let's see... Speed $0.22, Fox Soccer channel (which is also going to the side) is $0.35 (I think that was the number?) So that's .57 cents. So basically, you're paying an increase of $0.43 per subscriber.

That's not a lot compared to what ESPN is charging you.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 11:50 PM by DaSaintFan.)
05-30-2013 11:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy

They plan on being in 90 million homes by launch, by comparison, ESPN is in about 100 million homes.
05-31-2013 04:04 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-30-2013 11:44 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(05-30-2013 09:49 PM)Wedge Wrote:  If the SPEEED network is on UTah basic cable now, then FS1 will almost certainly be on basic cable.

Quote:Pay TV distributors currently shell out about 22 cents per subscriber each month for Speed — and $5.54 for ESPN — research firm SNL Kagan estimates.

So let's see... Speed $0.22, Fox Soccer channel (which is also going to the side) is $0.35 (I think that was the number?) So that's .57 cents. So basically, you're paying an increase of $0.43 per subscriber.

Fox Soccer is becoming FS2, which I presume will cost _something_.

And it's not a lot compared to what ESPN is charging, but it's a lot compared to what they're paying now.
05-31-2013 05:42 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(05-31-2013 05:42 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Fox Soccer is becoming FS2, which I presume will cost _something_.

And it's not a lot compared to what ESPN is charging, but it's a lot compared to what they're paying now.

They're adding a FS2, but Fox Soccer becomes FXX, not FS2.

Quote:New York-based News Corp. plans to change Fox Soccer into FXX, an entertainment channel for younger audiences with shows such as “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” It also will introduce a second sports channel, Fox Sports 2, in August.
05-31-2013 05:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

(05-31-2013 05:42 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(05-30-2013 11:44 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

Fox Soccer is becoming FS2, which I presume will cost _something_.

Fox Sports 2, which is speculated to start at the same time as Fox Sports 1 will come from the Fuel Channel which is currently in about 40 million homes.
05-31-2013 06:20 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If Fox Soccer Plus doesn't flip to Fox Sports 3 on September 2, the launch date of FXX, there will be a Fox Soccer Plus but no Fox Soccer.
05-31-2013 07:57 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

Confirmed -- that FS1 game on the first Friday of the season is North Dakota State at Kansas State, announced by the Big 12, see here.

Fox has a few Thursday games on FS1, and a couple of games with name teams as well: USC's game with Arizona is a Thursday game on FS1. Texas' Thanksgiving game with Texas Tech will be on FS1, although that game will air at the same time as the Steelers-Ravens Thanksgiving game on NBC. Notre Dame-Stanford on the Saturday after Thanksgiving is listed for either Fox broadcast or FS1. Hopefully a good slate of games will help FS1 to be a decent competitor to the ESPN goliath.
06-05-2013 01:33 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
WVU vs. William & Mary is the noon game on FS1 that same weekend. So the first 2 games on FOX's newly branded FS1 are B12 games...
06-05-2013 01:59 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(06-05-2013 01:59 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  WVU vs. William & Mary is the noon game on FS1 that same weekend. So the first 2 games on FOX's newly branded FS1 are B12 games...

Actually would be the 2nd and 3rd games. 1st is the Utah St/Utah game.
06-05-2013 02:16 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-05-2013 02:16 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 01:59 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  WVU vs. William & Mary is the noon game on FS1 that same weekend. So the first 2 games on FOX's newly branded FS1 are B12 games...
Actually would be the 2nd and 3rd games. 1st is the Utah St/Utah game.
You're right. I forgot there were week 1 games on Thursday...
06-05-2013 02:45 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American

I have Directv, and the speed channel is 607. How many football fans do you think will be channel surfing all the way to 607 looking for football to watch? I wouldn’t have known about Speed carrying football if it wasn't for this thread, so thanks....
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 08:51 PM by Underdog.)
06-09-2013 08:40 PM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
(05-29-2013 11:46 PM)Wedge Wrote:  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765630874/

Variety says FS1 will also have a Friday night game the next day -- best guess (because of the rights Fox holds) is the only Big 12 game that day, North Dakota State at Kansas State.
[/quote]

That's going to be one heck of a game, NDSU is returning most of their starters from the last 2 seasons that have won back to back FCS titles. KSU is replacing their starting QB and a few other key contributors. Gives me a reason to stay home Friday nite, I like it.
06-09-2013 11:00 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

(06-09-2013 08:40 PM)Underdog Wrote:  

I have Directv, and the speed channel is 607. How many football fans do you think will be channel surfing all the way to 607 looking for football to watch? I wouldn’t have known about Speed carrying football if it wasn't for this thread, so thanks....

There is a decent chance that your cable operator will move the channel to be with ESPN and the other sports channels. Mine (Verizon FiOS) changed the channel number a couple months ago and now speed is right below the ESPN channels...
06-10-2013 02:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.