Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 needs a championship game
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Big 12 needs a championship game
I was thinking today and we all know that's dangerous. Anyway, the biggest unspoken revenue boost with the playoff is the conference championship game. From a TV ratings standpoint, it'd have to be huge. winner of FSU vs Miami goes to the playoffs, UF vs Bama winner goes to the playoffs, USC vs Oregon winner to the playoffs...that's going to be big time TV. Add to that the drama of the at large. Will the SEC runner up still get in? That's a lot of "hey, no one is talking about the Big 12" time and as we all know time = money.
05-23-2013 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
RE: Big 12 needs a championship game
As much as I agree with you it is basically an opinion. Sadly, as long as Bevo runs the show we won't see a chapionship game because of the current ideology of the conference. For UC's sake I would like to see it happen but I don't think it will.
05-23-2013 07:41 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I think they will be in good shape with 10 teams. But in a tie breaker situation with comparable SoS, in no circumstances will the Big 12 team get in over a team with 13 games on the year.
05-23-2013 07:48 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
The only real downside to their current set up is that its very possible for the Big 12 champ to have already been crowned thus making their final week of regular games while everyone else is playing their title games totally meaningless and affecting the polls in a tight race.

For example, if TCU has the big year some are predicting then its entirely possible for the Big 12 to be over and won by November 16th (they have a bye week before finishing with Baylor in Fort Worth) that's 2 weeks of the Big 12 being completely out of the conversation while everyone follows the races in the SEC, B1G, PAC and hell maybe even the ACC!
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 08:19 PM by 10thMountain.)
05-23-2013 08:15 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
The biggest advantage the Big-12 has is having no championship game. Its a minimal factor when it comes to helping the Big-12 champ make the playoff. It might help in some cases (no chance of an upset) or might hurt in some cases (no final big game against a strong opponent to increase strenth of schedule or impress the commitee). Overall, it probably is close to a draw when it comes to helping or hurting the Big-12 champ into the playoffs.

Where it is very helpful is getting a second place team in the playoff. Every other second place team will be coming off a CCG loss when the final decision is made. The Big-12 second place team is very likely coming off a conference win. That makes the Big-12 the easiest place to make the playoff as a second place finisher.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 08:33 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-23-2013 08:30 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
If the B12 needed s CCG, it would already have one. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 08:52 PM by quo vadis.)
05-23-2013 08:51 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I think the opposite of most people and that being an outlier here is actually going to help them. Championship week is a big week, but with almost all conferences having CCGs, there's not actually that many games. They can try to have a few compelling match-ups that week and that might be better for ESPN and FOX than one big CCG.

Beyond that, there is novelty in uniqueness. Notre Dame stands out as an independent in a time of conferences (even when the suck). The Big 12 will stand out as a major conference still doing things the old way. It will draw a lot of criticism for that, but criticism brings attention.
05-23-2013 09:08 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
I guarantee the Big12 would have 12 schools as well as the CCG if the networks did not agree to pay 12 school money to 10 school conference. The only reason they got it in the first place was due to the fact the current contract at the time was almost up, and the networks didn't want to argue over the fact the conference was practically voiding the contract with 10 teams, but at the same time didn't want to give up either. As long as the networks feels that a 10team conference is a viable counter piece to all the SuperConferences then there will be a 10 team conference, but till then I don't think the Big12 will be represented very well when the playoffs start in 2014, but that is my opinion, but the majority of what I stated is true.
05-23-2013 09:36 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I just don't see it hurting in the playoff much. For every year a win could push a team in, there will be a year where a loss will throw a team out. The Big 12 lost out on the national title bowl (or would have under later set-ups) many years thanks to a CCG.
05-23-2013 09:51 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
It could hurt them by having 1 less game then the other leagues...you could see a situation like this:

12-1 Alabama-(SEC Champion)
12-1 Southern Cal-(Pac 12 Champion)
12-1 Ohio State- (B1G Champion)

3 Spots for the 4th school...12-1 Florida State-(ACC Champion), 11-1 LSU-(only loss to Alabama @ Bama by 3) or 11-1 Texas-(Big XII Champion)
05-23-2013 10:27 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-23-2013 08:51 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  If the B12 needed s CCG, it would already have one. 07-coffee3
Ask K State about that....
05-24-2013 12:11 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-23-2013 10:27 PM)Maize Wrote:  It could hurt them by having 1 less game then the other leagues...you could see a situation like this:

3 Spots for the 4th school...12-1 Florida State-(ACC Champion), 11-1 LSU-(only loss to Alabama @ Bama by 3) or 11-1 Texas-(Big XII Champion)

I seriously doubt anyone will even notice the one less game, since (a) in this scenario they have the same # of games as LSU, and (b) FSU's extra game will almost surely be a rent-a-win.

Given recent history, i would say that in your scenario what will be decisive is SOS, and based on that, Texas is likely to get the fourth playoff spot, with LSU a strong second choice, and FSU a clear third.
05-24-2013 12:13 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-24-2013 12:13 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-23-2013 10:27 PM)Maize Wrote:  It could hurt them by having 1 less game then the other leagues...you could see a situation like this:

I seriously doubt anyone will even notice the one less game, since (a) in this scenario they have the same # of games as LSU, and (b) FSU's extra game will almost surely be a rent-a-win.

Given recent history, i would say that in your scenario what will be decisive is SOS, and based on that, Texas is likely to get the fourth playoff spot, with LSU a strong second choice, and FSU a clear third.
Oh... one less game is obvious. Sorry for the tripping up and blowing the CCG. That's life. Hasn't hurt the SEC for the past seven years. Do not be a chicken.... SOS in the Big XII won't get you in but it might get the loser of the SEC/B1G CCG game in.
05-24-2013 12:45 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(05-24-2013 12:45 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

Oh... one less game is obvious. Sorry for the tripping up and blowing the CCG. That's life. Hasn't hurt the SEC for the past seven years. Do not be a chicken.... SOS in the Big XII won't get you in but it might get the loser of the SEC/B1G CCG game in.

Yup...also if an 12-1 FSU team beat a Top 10 11-2 Virginia Tech team...that one more quality win the Big XII doesn't have.also if you go by SOS which is more impressive, an 11-1 LSU Team with just 1 loss to say Alabama in a close game with wins over Texas A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida & Mississippi or a Texas win a loss to a Okahoma but wins over Baylor, TCU, K-State & Oklahoma State...sorry just of the opinion that a win over the Gators with just a loss to Bama kind of trumps that. Plus LSU also plays one good OOC Opponent...Texas doesn't...
05-24-2013 06:56 AM
TyBull Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF / GA Tech
(05-23-2013 07:16 PM)krux Wrote:  I was thinking today and we all know that's dangerous. Anyway, the biggest unspoken revenue boost with the playoff is the conference championship game. From a TV ratings standpoint, it'd have to be huge. winner of FSU vs Miami goes to the playoffs, UF vs Bama winner goes to the playoffs, USC vs Oregon winner to the playoffs...that's going to be big time TV. Add to that the drama of the at large. Will the SEC runner up still get in? That's a lot of "hey, no one is talking about the Big 12" time and as we all know time = money.

Agree. And the Big 12 needs UCinn & USF.....

JMHO
05-24-2013 07:49 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-24-2013 06:56 AM)Maize Wrote:  

Yup...also if an 12-1 FSU team beat a Top 10 11-2 Virginia Tech team...that one more quality win the Big XII doesn't have.also if you go by SOS which is more impressive, an 11-1 LSU Team with just 1 loss to say Alabama in a close game with wins over Texas A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida & Mississippi or a Texas win a loss to a Okahoma but wins over Baylor, TCU, K-State & Oklahoma State...sorry just of the opinion that a win over the Gators with just a loss to Bama kind of trumps that. Plus LSU also plays one good OOC Opponent...Texas doesn't...

Any SEC team with LSU's resume is likely to get in, but the SEC has a CCG so they don't really count here.

The comparison is Texas vs FSU, and Texas would likely have played a tougher schedule and would thus be likely to get the bid. We need more info to know for sure but ...
05-24-2013 07:57 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(05-24-2013 07:49 AM)TyBull Wrote:  
(05-23-2013 07:16 PM)krux Wrote:  I was thinking today and we all know that's dangerous. Anyway, the biggest unspoken revenue boost with the playoff is the conference championship game. From a TV ratings standpoint, it'd have to be huge. winner of FSU vs Miami goes to the playoffs, UF vs Bama winner goes to the playoffs, USC vs Oregon winner to the playoffs...that's going to be big time TV. Add to that the drama of the at large. Will the SEC runner up still get in? That's a lot of "hey, no one is talking about the Big 12" time and as we all know time = money.

Agree. And the Big 12 needs UCinn & USF.....

JMHO
True,but They want Ohio state and Florida. Just won't get them.
05-24-2013 08:00 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

CCGs are two-edged swords, if you win them they can help if you lose them they will hurt. In the above scenario, Texas might be hurt vis-a-vis LSU, but not FSU, since FSU usually plays a soft schedule. The one game likely won't be missed at all.
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
The problem for the BIG 12 will be if the ACC has 2 highly ranked teams in the CCG. The winner of that game may jump them.
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(05-24-2013 08:00 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

CCGs are two-edged swords, if you win them they can help if you lose them they will hurt. In the above scenario, Texas might be hurt vis-a-vis LSU, but not FSU, since FSU usually plays a soft schedule. The one game likely won't be missed at all.

FSU usually plays a soft schedule? Really? FSU gets to do something the Big 12 doesn't get...a high profile SEC opponent and the end of the year (Florida). Btw...

Have you looked at the BIG 12's OOC schedules? Let's not talk about soft.
05-24-2013 08:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.