Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FYI - UTA's 2004 expansion plan for Football
Bookmark and Share
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
FYI - UTA's 2004 expansion plan for Football
This is UTA's football contingency for restarting its football program at the FCS level. With a little modification, I believe they would be ready for the SBC by 2018.

http://www.uta.edu/sportsexpansion/

http://www.uta.edu/sportsexpansion/sports_expansion.pdf
05-20-2013 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
RE: FYI - UTA's 2004 expansion plan for Football
(05-20-2013 12:25 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  This is UTA's football contingency for restarting its football program at the FCS level. With a little modification, I believe they would be ready for the SBC by 2018.

conditions have improved in some areas since then..nearly 34.000 students now, so more paying the sports fee and a dozen or so gas wells on campus now so some revenue coming in from that and now there seem to be more people coming forward to contribute money..the wild card now would seem to be what is the frame of mind of the new president..
05-20-2013 01:02 PM
mbrunner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy University
(05-20-2013 12:25 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  This is UTA's football contingency for restarting its football program at the FCS level. With a little modification, I believe they would be ready for the SBC by 2018.

They just need to GO-FOR-IT! They wouldn't regret it! 04-rock
05-20-2013 01:23 PM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(05-20-2013 01:23 PM)mbrunner Wrote:  

wait wait wait...they have gas wells on campus?
05-20-2013 01:29 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(05-20-2013 01:29 PM)southern edumacation Wrote:  

Those things are everywhere in the DFW metroplex, and other areas in Texas for that matter, right now.
05-20-2013 01:31 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Sounded kind of discouraging 5,600 attendance when UTA last had football, but a new day
could bring different results, I guess.
05-20-2013 01:53 PM
Advertisement

appfan89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State

Donators
Just out of curiosity, that report was done in '04. Here we are, 9 years later, and no football team. According to that report, the student body was in favor of increasing their fees to help support the football team, women's soccer and women's golf.

Now, there is 34k students. Will the current student population support re-instituting a football team?
05-20-2013 01:59 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
I am looking at UTA - Football and see the following positives.

1. Immediate rivalry with Texas State
2. Natural rivalry with North Texas
3. 4 hour drive to Louisiana Monroe
4. 6 hour drive to Louisiana Lafayette
5. 7 hour drive to Arkansas State
6. Easy to schedule home vs home games with La Tech, Rice, SMU and UTSA
7. All MWC schools will be interested in home vs home because very easy to get to Dallas via Air.
05-20-2013 02:24 PM
tux Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
(05-20-2013 02:24 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  I am looking at UTA - Football and see the following positives.

7. All MWC schools will be interested in home vs home because very easy to get to Dallas via Air.

All very true and beneficial for the SBC. I wish they would just pull the trigger.
05-20-2013 05:35 PM
joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(05-20-2013 05:35 PM)tux Wrote:  
(05-20-2013 02:24 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  I am looking at UTA - Football and see the following positives.

All very true and beneficial for the SBC. I wish they would just pull the trigger.

All true, but one more thing. That study was assuming competition at the FCS level in the Southland conference. For UTA to go FBS Maverick stadium would need a MAJOR renovation/expansion.
05-20-2013 06:16 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Sorry if this post seems long winded, but this subject is near and dear to my heart. I have the Nienas Study bookmarked and have perused it often over the years.

(05-20-2013 01:29 PM)southern edumacation Wrote:  

On the edges by the parking lots.

(05-20-2013 01:53 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Sounded kind of discouraging 5,600 attendance when UTA last had football, but a new day
could bring different results, I guess.

There were a lot of factors at play. UTA used to average near 10,000 in the '60's. We were one of the dominant teams in what is now DII. We were the first DI team in the Southland and made the move in 1970. We weren't ready, we didn't have the proper funding and as such, our teams were terrible. We were winless the first year and followed that with wins of 2, 5, 4 and 1. Add to that we demolished our on campus stadium and were coerced into playing at the minor league stadium several miles off campus that would later become the home for the Texas Rangers and it isn't hard to see why the team's attendance lagged.

It would have been difficult in the best of times as UTA started their transition from a traditional campus in favor of a commuter one. There are several examples of on-campus housing being demolished, in some cases for parking lots. Arlington itself was transitioning from a small town to a bedroom suburb who neglected its core, right where UTA sits. Once the NCAA lost their supreme court decision regarding TV finances, the writing was nearly completely on the wall.

UTA, with a new president, Bobby Witt (who would later become Alabama's president) started the transition back to a more traditional campus. The process has been slow, but there has been tremendous momentum of late. When I started in Aug of 2000, the first dorms were built in decades. Parking lots were actually being used for something, usually residential housing. Also, Arlington in the last five years has finally started paying attention to its downtown.

As far as athletics, there was talk in the early '90's of actually dropping to DIII. AD Pete Carlon helped pass the student athletics fee and finally found a stable source of funding for the department. However, our facilities were severely lagging. The junior college I attended in Midland had a far, far better basketball arena than UTA. The baseball stadium was sub-par, though the field was great. Same with softball. In fact, the only decent facility we had was Maverick Stadium, so our track team was doing great.

Enter James Spaniolo. He became president right around the time of the student vote for adding football, soccer and golf. He made a decision that was ridiculed at that time, but one I believe to be the right one. He stated we were finally going to pursue an on-campus multi-use arena. After a longer than announced planning process College Park Center debuted last year, coincidentally during our basketball best individual SLC finish and win total.

The plan when the arena was pursued was to re-look at football in five years. Since the planning process took so long, they did it recently. The admin has stated that baseball and softball were next. A go a little more in detail here: http://utamavericks.46.forumer.com/curio...85402.html

Plain and simple, this is a different U.

(05-20-2013 01:59 PM)appfan89 Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, that report was done in '04. Here we are, 9 years later, and no football team. According to that report, the student body was in favor of increasing their fees to help support the football team, women's soccer and women's golf.

Now, there is 34k students. Will the current student population support re-instituting a football team?

I know of no student body that has ever said no to these kind of things. I see no reason why UTA would be different from the previous body, which had roughly 2/3rds saying yes. There is also some speculation that since the students already approved it, the fee could be levied at any time. I doubt they would do that though.

We used to play 2-6 fairly regularly. I agree with one, but only played them twice. In 27 seasons as a U team, we played UNT 12 times, UL-M 11, UL-L 15 and Arkansas St 22. La Tech was an opponent 18 times and SMU was 4.

(05-20-2013 06:16 PM)joshdude182 Wrote:  
(05-20-2013 05:35 PM)tux Wrote:  

All true, but one more thing. That study was assuming competition at the FCS level in the Southland conference. For UTA to go FBS Maverick stadium would need a MAJOR renovation/expansion.

I'm guessing you didn't click on the link. From the report:
Quote:Facilities
Option A Renovation of the west side of Maverick Stadium to create 20,000 square feet at a cost of $75 per square foot: $1,500,000.
Option B Construction of a 25,000 square foot facility north of the Gilstrap Athletic Center at a cost of $150 per square foot,
and renovation of Maverick Stadium to create a 5,000 square foot facility at a cost of $75 per square foot: $4,125,000
Option C Construction of a 32,000 square foot facility north of the Gilstrap Athletic Center at a cost of $150 per square foot: $4,800,000.
Option D Construction of a new 44,000 square foot end zone multi-purpose building at a cost of $178 per square foot: $7,800,000.

While this is for locker rooms and such and not capacity, which would have to be addressed, the stadium itself is still used quite a bit by the AISD. Adding attendance capacity will be some, but depending on how it is done, the "underbelly" or end zone complex will be the most.
05-20-2013 07:49 PM
Advertisement

joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
Quote:I'm guessing you didn't click on the link. From the report:
Quote:Facilities
Option A Renovation of the west side of Maverick Stadium to create 20,000 square feet at a cost of $75 per square foot: $1,500,000.
Option B Construction of a 25,000 square foot facility north of the Gilstrap Athletic Center at a cost of $150 per square foot,
and renovation of Maverick Stadium to create a 5,000 square foot facility at a cost of $75 per square foot: $4,125,000
Option C Construction of a 32,000 square foot facility north of the Gilstrap Athletic Center at a cost of $150 per square foot: $4,800,000.
Option D Construction of a new 44,000 square foot end zone multi-purpose building at a cost of $178 per square foot: $7,800,000.

While this is for locker rooms and such and not capacity, which would have to be addressed, the stadium itself is still used quite a bit by the AISD. Adding attendance capacity will be some, but depending on how it is done, the "underbelly" or end zone complex will be the most.

I actually read the entire report. I saw plenty about adding weight rooms and coaching offices and those sorts of things, but nothing about a major expansion, which would definitely be needed. I'm not saying UTA can't do it at all. I'm just saying the stadium looks like it needs a ton of work. Maybe I'm wrong and pictures just don't flatter the stadium and maybe the capacity has been expanded beyond 12,500. It's possible work has been done and what I'm seeing is outdated.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 07:59 PM by joshdude182.)
05-20-2013 07:57 PM
Heisman

There hasn't been any major work beyond turf. The majority of seating is aluminum bench, nothing new needed there. The bones are built out of concrete, nothing needed there. The concession's look a bit old, but that is just aesthetics. The restrooms could use work, but nothing that seems out of place for a football stadium. Only the blue chairbacks seats are showing wear.

The big thing will be stands, which need to be added. But as Fouts Field has shown, stands can be added cheap. Maverick Stadium was also designed with a final capacity of 26,000, I believe, so if we do go with permanent seating, it could be a bit pricey. However, if an end zone complex was in the works, stands could be added there and for not much more than the report listed. Aluminum seating could also be added to the visitors side for a low price.

I believe 15-20 million would be all that was needed to get the Mav up to speed. Given the costs of a football startup, that is relatively cheap.
05-20-2013 08:23 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
They have a place to play? Or50 million for a stadium.
The Cotton bowl is empty 51 saturdays per year
05-20-2013 09:34 PM
Heisman

So you are suggesting playing 30 miles off campus when that was one of the big reasons of the program's demise to begin with?

No thank you.

FYI, the Cotton Bowl hosts 2-4 games during the State Fair and a mid-level bowl game. What I would like to see is an annual UTA-UNT game at the Cotton Bowl. I think the location, time and opponent would be a good draw and could drum up interest.
05-20-2013 09:43 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
I would like UTA to start playing football, if we joined that would be a trip every year to Texas. Very good for recruiting.
05-21-2013 12:03 AM
Advertisement

Mgt2j Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Having never lived in DFW until recently I never understood how big the DFW metroplex really is. I always assumed that like most metropolises, everyone worked in the biggest city(Dallas), and commuted home outside the city. Here that is not necessarily the case as many people have little interaction with the city of Dallas.For many people that live on the west side of the metroplex(Fort Worth and Arlington) Dallas and the Cotton Bowl might as well be in another state.
All this to say that if UTA attempted to play football anywhere outside of Arlington it would be doomed. In fact most of the attractions/sporting events are held in Arlington
I hope UTA does find a way to restart the football program.
05-21-2013 12:04 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-21-2013 12:04 AM)Mgt2j Wrote:  Having never lived in DFW until recently I never understood how big the DFW metroplex really is. I always assumed that like most metropolises, everyone worked in the biggest city(Dallas), and commuted home outside the city. Here that is not necessarily the case as many people have little interaction with the city of Dallas.For many people that live on the west side of the metroplex(Fort Worth and Arlington) Dallas and the Cotton Bowl might as well be in another state.
All this to say that if UTA attempted to play football anywhere outside of Arlington it would be doomed. In fact most of the attractions/sporting events are held in Arlington
I hope UTA does find a way to restart the football program.

while arlington is a suburb, it has a population of nearly 400,000 and more people enter arlington to work everyday than leave. The university posted a study that shows the annual economic impact of the university to the metro area to be nearly 13 billion with a B dollars. uta tried to play off campus after they tore down the old football stadium to build the activities center and it was the kiss of death. nobody showed up for games. I would hope they never try that again. while jerry world is only a couple of miles from campus, I doubt if uta would ever use it. I would never go there to watch a game but I would increase my maverick club membership level and go to games on campus. I think there are many closet uta supporters out there who would show themselves if uta began to show a better product. I doubt if some of the sun belt schools coming in to play will generate much local interest, we have a history with stAte and U-laf and NMSU and texas state is close enough for them to make a fun roadtrip to dfw..
05-22-2013 10:46 AM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(05-20-2013 09:43 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  So you are suggesting playing 30 miles off campus when that was one of the big reasons of the program's demise to begin with?

No thank you.

FYI, the Cotton Bowl hosts 2-4 games during the State Fair and a mid-level bowl game. What I would like to see is an annual UTA-UNT game at the Cotton Bowl. I think the location, time and opponent would be a good draw and could drum up interest.

There's a reason why they shutdown the program. They only drew around 5,000 per game in their last season in 85. They have about 10,000 more students now than then. Still the numbers probably wouldn't support UTA bringing back football. The average age of a UTA student is 27! The average age of a UNO student is 25. I'm a UNO alumni. I could careless about their sports teams or the school in general. UNO averages about 500 people per game in basketball. UTA and UNO are commuter schools pure and simple. UNO concentrated on academics and now depending on which rankings you go to, they are in the top five of Louisiana universities. SLU another commuter school killed football back in the 80's. They brought it back and now average 5,000 per game.
08-15-2013 06:41 PM
UTAMavalum83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UT Arlington
(05-20-2013 08:23 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  There hasn't been any major work beyond turf. The majority of seating is aluminum bench, nothing new needed there. The bones are built out of concrete, nothing needed there. The concession's look a bit old, but that is just aesthetics. The restrooms could use work, but nothing that seems out of place for a football stadium. Only the blue chairbacks seats are showing wear.

The big thing will be stands, which need to be added. But as Fouts Field has shown, stands can be added cheap. Maverick Stadium was also designed with a final capacity of 26,000, I believe, so if we do go with permanent seating, it could be a bit pricey. However, if an end zone complex was in the works, stands could be added there and for not much more than the report listed. Aluminum seating could also be added to the visitors side for a low price.

I believe 15-20 million would be all that was needed to get the Mav up to speed. Given the costs of a football startup, that is relatively cheap.

28,000; two 14,000 sf stands from end zone to end zone.

To make it nice enough, I believe we'd need quite a bit more than that; maybe twice as much. But it can be done.
08-15-2013 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.