Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...best two teams to add to get the SEC to 16...
Bookmark and Share
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...best two teams to add to get the SEC to 16...
... just for 'off-season' talk, and to help y'all get going, hopefully... what are the best two choices out there to add for the SEC to get to 16? Doesn't really matter about availability of teams...just a 'wish list'. I guess... I'll start off with... Florida State and Clemson... then move Mizzou over to the west.
05-17-2013 07:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: ...best two teams to add to get the SEC to 16...
I answered this question of yours in the Big Ten forum so I will answer you here as well since my answer is exactly the same for both conferences.

The answer is North Carolina and Virginia.

If the ACC GoR holds up but the Big 12 GoR does not then their very best goal would be Texas and Oklahoma but I think they might have to settle for something less than that. Oklahoma is possible but maybe go with OSU instead since they are on the rise with all the money being infused into the AD. WVU for sure though as a move to 16 means 4 pods/divisions and Tennessee will need another quality program up there so they can have their own pod/division.

If all GoR's hold up then personally I think ECU and SMU which likely means no expansion unless the Networks drop a piggy bank the size of South Carolina upon the SEC in order to push the Major Conferences to 16 teams for the chance to have conference tournaments and divisions more akin to those in the NFL.
05-17-2013 08:01 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(05-17-2013 08:01 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I answered this question of yours in the Big Ten forum so I will answer you here as well since my answer is exactly the same for both conferences.

If the ACC GoR holds up but the Big 12 GoR does not then their very best goal would be Texas and Oklahoma but I think they might have to settle for something less than that. Oklahoma is possible but maybe go with OSU instead since they are on the rise with all the money being infused into the AD. WVU for sure though as a move to 16 means 4 pods/divisions and Tennessee will need another quality program up there so they can have their own pod/division.

If all GoR's hold up then personally I think ECU and SMU which likely means no expansion unless the Networks drop a piggy bank the size of South Carolina upon the SEC in order to push the Major Conferences to 16 teams for the chance to have conference tournaments and divisions more akin to those in the NFL.

agree about UNC/UVA... I think that the GoR for these conferences is solid, UNTIL the networks decide to shuffle the deck again, then there will probably be concessions made between conferences, a 'swap' type deal... ...which might be sooner than expected, once the playoff gets cooking...I expect the playoff to jump to at least 8 teams within 5 years.

I still think the 'Texahoma 4' could well end up in the PAC, which would honestly be a pretty good fit, well for UT anyway... OK would be a nice add for the SEC, and would be a great 'connector' for Mizzou/Ark/A&M...
05-17-2013 08:44 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-17-2013 08:44 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(05-17-2013 08:01 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I answered this question of yours in the Big Ten forum so I will answer you here as well since my answer is exactly the same for both conferences.

agree about UNC/UVA... I think that the GoR for these conferences is solid, UNTIL the networks decide to shuffle the deck again, then there will probably be concessions made between conferences, a 'swap' type deal... ...which might be sooner than expected, once the playoff gets cooking...I expect the playoff to jump to at least 8 teams within 5 years.

I still think the 'Texahoma 4' could well end up in the PAC, which would honestly be a pretty good fit, well for UT anyway... OK would be a nice add for the SEC, and would be a great 'connector' for Mizzou/Ark/A&M...

I would love to have OU in the SEC. They can make it without Texas... an awesome add for the SEC west.
05-17-2013 09:05 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
In a perfect world, I'd say Texas and Florida State. For purposes of new markets, I''d say North Carolina and Virginia. Part of me would really like to see the SEC add UNC and Kansas for both academics and basketball. Assuming the GORs hold up, I'd say add no one. When the Big XII's GOR is getting within two years of expiration, I'd start feeling out Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Kansas and Kansas State to gauge their interest.
05-18-2013 02:22 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
When you look at what is left. It quickly becomes clear. Cincy and ECU stand out. Well sorta. Both add new markets in highly populated areas. Both would be in the east allowing Mizzou to move west. And neither would be complicated to lure to the SEC.
05-18-2013 09:22 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Oklahoma and UNC. Swap Auburn and Missouri for geographic sense

West:

A&M
Alabama
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Miss St.
Missouri
Oklahoma

East:

Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 10:08 AM by Gamecock.)
05-18-2013 10:07 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Although if everything was up to me, I'd kick out Vandy and replace them with West Virginia or VT. I think that would be a better cultural fit, but the conference would rather have UNC in all likelihood
05-18-2013 10:09 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
My favorite game!

If everyone was available, I'm not sure how UNC can't be the top choice for what fits the SEC's needs. My head says UVA next, but OU would be an awesome add, especially if Bob Stoops was all of the sudden required to compete in the league after his recent remarks! Comedy gold. Any package of UNC/UVA, UNC/OU, or OU/KU would be very valuable and a good add to the league. I'm not sure adding UVA or KU without UNC or OU, respectively, makes geographical or cultural sense. UVA would have a hard enough time with the cultural shift with UNC coming along. If they came without UNC, they would be stuck a bit out on an island. Same for KU without OU. The would really only have Mizzou in common. Both UVA and KU would need bridges to help them be an optimal fit.

I am also a proponent of "infill" if the conference ends up becoming more of a league than a regional conference. Every major "2nd" university in the states mentioned would be great fits as long as their flagships came along, as well. In order, the best fits would be FSU, Clemson, Ga. Tech, Va. Tech, Oklahoma St., NC State, Louisville, Kansas State. WVU would be a good add at that point, as well.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 10:32 AM by bigblueblindness.)
05-18-2013 10:25 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-18-2013 02:22 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  In a perfect world, I'd say Texas and Florida State. For purposes of new markets, I''d say North Carolina and Virginia. Part of me would really like to see the SEC add UNC and Kansas for both academics and basketball. Assuming the GORs hold up, I'd say add no one. When the Big XII's GOR is getting within two years of expiration, I'd start feeling out Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Kansas and Kansas State to gauge their interest.
When the B12 GoR expires, WVU would jump to the SEC in a heartbeat if invited. Bet on it...

Travel would no longer be an issue. Recruiting would improve further. The the RVs would roll to every away game, like they used to do. And I'd get to see WVU play fairly regularly without having to travel more than 15 miles round trip...
05-18-2013 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-18-2013 10:07 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Oklahoma and UNC. Swap Auburn and Missouri for geographic sense

West:

A&M
Alabama
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Miss St.
Missouri
Oklahoma

East:

Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

I have never thought about adding North Carolina and Oklahoma but I really find that idea intriguing. I like that idea Gamecock.
05-18-2013 11:07 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

1. Absolute Fantasy Picks: Ohio State and Notre Dame
Why: I got so sick hearing Big 10 posters say they could poach Florida just to show the SEC who was boss I think nothing would be a better dagger to that pride than taking the Buckeyes (their best standard bearer) and Notre Dame (the team many of them have dreamed about). But really I have no interest in either of them being in the SEC.

2. My Real Fantasy Picks: Virginia and North Carolina.
Why: As a true Southerner I would love to see the closest approximation to the old Southern Conference reassembled in the era of Super Conferences. But understand the absolute best would be to move to 24 and monopolize the South in essentially 4 six team divisions that only played each other (until the playoffs and bowls).

3. My realistic expectations: West Virginia and Kansas State

Why: Oklahoma (network deal with Comcast) will likely go to the PAC since they feel they must move with O.S.U. and the Big Ten won't take the Cowboys. The PAC will want a piece of Texas and they don't like religious based private schools so they will take Texas Tech. Since Kansas qualifies for the Big 10 and would go in a heartbeat if asked they would want to make sure that the Wildcats have a good landing spot. Kansas has more TV sets than Oklahoma and the Cowboys will go with the Sooners so the Wildcats will pick the SEC over the PAC. I think Iowa State goes to the PAC. Texas is owned by ESPN and as arguably the top property in college football ESPN will not give them up. They will morph the LHN into the ACCN and make it work by giving Dodds concessions. Those concessions might likely be taking either or both of Texas Christian and Baylor in addition of course to some other kinds of perks like a relationship to the ACC like Notre Dame has. Delany would need a travel companion for Kansas. He would either look to U.Conn or perhaps broker a deal for 1 of the Northern ACC schools. Then it's game over.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 11:28 AM by JRsec.)
05-18-2013 11:27 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-18-2013 10:38 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(05-18-2013 02:22 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  In a perfect world, I'd say Texas and Florida State. For purposes of new markets, I''d say North Carolina and Virginia. Part of me would really like to see the SEC add UNC and Kansas for both academics and basketball. Assuming the GORs hold up, I'd say add no one. When the Big XII's GOR is getting within two years of expiration, I'd start feeling out Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Kansas and Kansas State to gauge their interest.
When the B12 GoR expires, WVU would jump to the SEC in a heartbeat if invited. Bet on it...

Travel would no longer be an issue. Recruiting would improve further. The the RVs would roll to every away game, like they used to do. And I'd get to see WVU play fairly regularly without having to travel more than 15 miles round trip...
WVU is such a great fit for the SEC. Slive and the SEC should have just added WVU and Mizzou at the same, picked one more to get to 16, and called it a day. I actually thought they would go with WVU for a long time.
05-18-2013 11:57 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(05-18-2013 11:57 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

WVU is such a great fit for the SEC. Slive and the SEC should have just added WVU and Mizzou at the same, picked one more to get to 16, and called it a day. I actually thought they would go with WVU for a long time.

The rest of the SEC really, really wants North Carolina and a Virginia presence first, though. WVU would be a great add if the league goes big time and expands to 20 or 24. The chance to land UNC, UVA, OU, Kansas, and Texas needs to be exhausted first, though. It may be wrong to think in these terms, but realignment is more chess than checkers. WVU will always be there for an SEC invite. The only real competition for the SEC in terms of realignment is the PAC and B1G. The three western schools could realistically go to the PAC or B1G in time, and UVA and UNC are very much in danger of going to the B1G. Secure as many of those five as possible, then it will be time to think about WVU. It would probably all happen pretty quick, though. If/when those five move conferences, it would be a free for all. WVU may be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th team invited, but it would likely only be days or weeks after the first couple of other selections. Personally, I would love to see WVU in as a UK fan, but I understand how the SEC West would not get that excited about it.
05-18-2013 12:42 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU

It's so funny how at that "other" site most of the Mountaineer fans will not admit that they would love for WVU to be in the SEC. Of course it would be the perfect fit for WVU.
05-18-2013 04:39 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I think the best plan of action would be to go after OU and UNC. But of course UNC isn't leaving the ACC for a few decades at least... So that sorta screws that over lol
05-18-2013 04:53 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...as an Aubie, I would love to see AU in the SEC East... 3 of their 'big 4' rivals of old (GA, FL, TN) are in that division...

it is a bit interesting that Mizzou is in the east, of course for 'temporary balance'...it makes you wonder if the SEC is thinking 'near-term'... it may be that the Big XII, at 10, ends up being poached... honestly, I don't see Texas in the SEC with A&M (although it would definitely rock as a 'non-partisan' fan) - OU is definitely a possibility... again, would be a good 'link' to the west teams - put Mizzou in the West, add WVU and AU to the East, and that's a solid conference.

No doubt that NC and VA would be optimum adds, but not sure how 'untouchable' they really are... something just tells me the GoRs for all conferences have generous 'loopholes' and 'buyouts'... otherwise they probably wouldn't have passed...would they? 03-confused
05-18-2013 05:32 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: ...best two teams to add to get the SEC to 16...
The Saints and the Cowboys.
05-18-2013 05:41 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-18-2013 05:41 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  The Saints and the Cowboys.

Two mid-level teams. That's a good idea!
05-18-2013 05:50 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-18-2013 04:39 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

It's so funny how at that "other" site most of the Mountaineer fans will not admit that they would love for WVU to be in the SEC. Of course it would be the perfect fit for WVU.
A lot of the fans on WVU's scout site would rather force the ACC to take WVU, so we could rejoin old rivals who no longer want anything to do with WVU. I could care less about the ACC. The ACC has been making excuses as to why WVU was unacceptable since 1953, with a new excuse for each round of expansion, and none of the excuses hold water in the face of available evidence...

I'm long over it. Screw the ACC...
05-18-2013 07:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.