Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I need help...
Bookmark and Share
mbrunner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy University
I need help...
Can someone tell me, with conf realignment running rampant, mid-major confs stealing from other mid-major confs, what’s the diff between SBC, CUSA, MAC, etc.??? We all play out-of-conf games during the regular season, in Bowl games, etc. So, if there’s no diff, why the unbalanced TV deals, bowl tie-ins, etc.?

I don’t get it! CUSA is essentially the SBC lite. Am I missing something here?!!

Go TROY! 04-rock
05-13-2013 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
RE: I need help...
As long as you feel that way, you have no reason for concern, so why worry about it.
05-13-2013 10:29 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
IMHO the Go5 are all at a relatively equal starting point. Yes some leagues have a better TV deal/More bowls but from a performance/perception standpoint we are all at the same starting line. MWC is probably further ahead then any of the others due to having Boise back, but other then that most teams have just siwtched a patch.
05-13-2013 10:35 AM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(05-13-2013 10:26 AM)mbrunner Wrote:  Can someone tell me, with conf realignment running rampant, mid-major confs stealing from other mid-major confs, what’s the diff between SBC, CUSA, MAC, etc.??? We all play out-of-conf games during the regular season, in Bowl games, etc. So, if there’s no diff, why the unbalanced TV deals, bowl tie-ins, etc.?

I don’t get it! CUSA is essentially the SBC lite. Am I missing something here?!!

Go TROY! 04-rock

I agree. The idea of CUSA being "all that" died with the departures of ECU, Memphis, Tulsa, UCF, Houston, and SMU.

CUSA's good adds are Old Dominion, MTSU, and WKU. They did SBC a favor by taking the F_U's and North Texas. If the SBC can add JMU or Mizz St to go with Tx St, Ga St., App, and GS, I'd say the SBC gained more than it lost. I know some Cajuns aren't happy, but moving to CUSA might have been "up" in 2010, but it's lateral at best in 2014.
05-13-2013 10:56 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
May be lateral in 2014, but will be a downward transition after that.
05-13-2013 11:10 AM
Advertisement

mbrunner Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-13-2013 10:56 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 10:26 AM)mbrunner Wrote:  Can someone tell me, with conf realignment running rampant, mid-major confs stealing from other mid-major confs, what’s the diff between SBC, CUSA, MAC, etc.??? We all play out-of-conf games during the regular season, in Bowl games, etc. So, if there’s no diff, why the unbalanced TV deals, bowl tie-ins, etc.?

Go TROY! 04-rock

I agree. The idea of CUSA being "all that" died with the departures of ECU, Memphis, Tulsa, UCF, Houston, and SMU.

CUSA's good adds are Old Dominion, MTSU, and WKU. They did SBC a favor by taking the F_U's and North Texas. If the SBC can add JMU or Mizz St to go with Tx St, Ga St., App, and GS, I'd say the SBC gained more than it lost. I know some Cajuns aren't happy, but moving to CUSA might have been "up" in 2010, but it's lateral at best in 2014.

YUP…you’re right. Bringing in MSU would be a good thing. Apparently, JMU thinks they’re Rice or something. They think their academics are too “lofty” for the SBC. Frankly, I don’t see it.

Let’s just stay away from LU & CCU. We can have a championship game with 11 teams. No biggie.

Go TROY!
05-13-2013 11:14 AM
Higher Education Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Legality
[/b]
(05-13-2013 11:14 AM)mbrunner Wrote:  YUP…you’re right. Bringing in MSU would be a good thing. Apparently, JMU thinks they’re Rice or something. They think their academics are too “lofty” for the SBC. Frankly, I don’t see it.

Let’s just stay away from LU & CCU. [b]We can have a championship game with 11 teams. No biggie.

Go TROY!

I thought 12 was the required number.
05-13-2013 11:29 AM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
As the new TV and Bowl deals come around the next couple of years, there will be no difference in the conferences. As long as the SBC wins on the field, we will win in the bank account too.
05-13-2013 11:35 AM
mbrunner Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-13-2013 11:35 AM)Usajags Wrote:  As the new TV and Bowl deals come around the next couple of years, there will be no difference in the conferences. As long as the SBC wins on the field, we will win in the bank account too.

Agreed.
05-13-2013 01:27 PM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-13-2013 10:29 AM)CW Fishman Wrote:  As long as you feel that way, you have no reason for concern, so why worry about it.

Agree, we have to focus on the SBC and let that other stuff slide. The teams that currently make up the conference at present need to be committed to putting good teams on the fields and fannies in the seats and everything else will take care of itself.
05-13-2013 01:34 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

Our attendance numbers alone will be leaps and bounds above the MAC and C-USA. That could show very well in the next round of contracts as well. Bowls want to sell tickets and media wants to show full stadiums.
05-13-2013 01:41 PM
FIU4Ever Online

I Root For: FIU
(05-13-2013 10:26 AM)mbrunner Wrote:  So, if there’s no diff, why the unbalanced TV deals, bowl tie-ins, etc.?

(05-13-2013 10:56 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  If the SBC can add JMU or Mizz St to go with Tx St, Ga St., App, and GS, I'd say the SBC gained more than it lost.

(05-13-2013 11:35 AM)Usajags Wrote:  As long as the SBC wins on the field, we will win in the bank account too.

If wishes were horses, then MTSU would have the perfect mascot. 04-cheers
(Sorry blue raiders, I couldn't resist 02-13-banana).

I am not an expert at predicting the future, unlike the previous posters in this thread. What I do know is this...

No 'belt team has turned down an invite to CUSA. Ever.

You can read that as better perception, more bowls, better TV contract or they just prefer the logo.

Will that change in the future? Maybe, but it is ingenious to pretend that that is not the current state of affairs today.
05-13-2013 01:42 PM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
(05-13-2013 01:42 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  I am not an expert at predicting the future, unlike the previous posters in this thread. What I do know is this...

No 'belt team has turned down an invite to CUSA. Ever.

You can read that as better perception, more bowls, better TV contract or they just prefer the logo.

Will that change in the future? Maybe, but it is ingenious to pretend that that is not the current state of affairs today.

That's fine. CUSA has a better name based on what the conference WAS. The speculation here is that the new SBC will be better in football than the new CUSA. Only time will tell.
05-13-2013 02:26 PM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
All Go5 confrences are on the same starting line. Not one has a clear cut advantage over the other right now.

Win and prosper, Lose and whither on the vine.
05-13-2013 02:47 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(05-13-2013 02:47 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  All Go5 confrences are on the same starting line. Not one has a clear cut advantage over the other right now.

Win and prosper, Lose and whither on the vine.
Agreed. If you tell some people the truth like that, they will whine all day long.
05-13-2013 03:45 PM
Gridiron Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: the underdog
Might be better to start a new thread with this . If you were to start over how would you divide the Sun Belt ,AAC, and CUSA into three new conferences that would all make the same money?
05-13-2013 06:35 PM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho
(05-13-2013 06:35 PM)Gridiron Wrote:  Might be better to start a new thread with this . If you were to start over how would you divide the Sun Belt ,AAC, and CUSA into three new conferences that would all make the same money?

No need to start over time will even everything out.
C-USA has a better T.V. deal which is sure to come down .
05-13-2013 07:19 PM
TroyBoy67 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy Trojans
What I feel is going to happen in the future is there will be two different divisions with the SEC, ACC, B1G, etc and the C-USA, SBC, MWC, etc.

Idk how far this is from happening but IMO this will eventually happen.
05-13-2013 08:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.