Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Still Pissed at UConn After 10 Years
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
ACC Still Pissed at UConn After 10 Years
UConn fan Nostical wrote this:

Look, we can surmise all we want about the effect of the lawsuit but I'm more inclined to confirm what alsacs has been saying (and I've posted this before). A good friend of mine who is also a very good friend of Jim Boeheim was playing golf with him after Jim had attended his first ACC meeting. My buddy called me later that day-knowing I'm a huge UConn backer--to tell me Jim said one of the things that surprised him was the level of vitriol (not his word, lol) at UConn about "that lawsuit". "It won't go away". He also said "based on what I heard down there, I don't think UConn's getting in." Which, by the way, he wasn't happy about. Dismiss it if you will, but that's pretty much a verbatim account.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/fsu-acc-...ost-597750

UConn fans have been playing this down with Cuse fans in Internet threads...but this to me is the "Smoking Gun" that UConn and their CT Attorney General really upset folks by personally naming university officials in the lawsuit 10 years ago. Cincy and USF fans gotta like that development.
05-09-2013 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
RE: ACC Still Pissed at UConn After 10 Years
Lawsuits aimed at trying to keep members in who don't want to stay tend to go over poorly and ensure they will never do anything to help that school out ever again.
05-09-2013 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
I've been telling you for a long time that UConn would not be invited to join the ACC and that the lawsuit is one of the biggest reasons.03-banghead
05-09-2013 08:57 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
If you look at:

1) the overall quality of the athletic department/commitment to success
2) local market/fan support
3) national brand
4) academics

UConn is as good (or better) than Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and Virginia Tech. Therefore, the only two possible explanations on why UConn isn't in the ACC would be our lack of FB tradition (1-AA until 2000) and the lawsuit. Maybe it's a combination of both of those reasons. But it's NOT due to #1 to #4 listed above.

BTW, the lawsuit was justified. The people of Connecticut spent a lot of money to upgrade the UConn FB program based on the Big East schools remaining together. And at that time, certain schools were working privately to get out of the conference. If we had known that the Big East was not long for this Earth, the upgrade expenses may not have been spent.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 09:52 PM by UConn-SMU.)
05-09-2013 09:30 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
didnt vtech initially file suit as well, but dropped it once they got the invite?
05-09-2013 09:52 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-09-2013 08:42 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  UConn fans have been playing this down with Cuse fans in Internet threads...but this to me is the "Smoking Gun" that UConn and their CT Attorney General really upset folks by personally naming university officials in the lawsuit 10 years ago. Cincy and USF fans gotta like that development.

Great point, thanks for posting this. The bottom line here is that UConn's lawsuit was just stupid. The idea that the ACC owed UConn damages because UConn "made investments in football" on the presumption that Miami's popularity would translate into more dollars for UConn, even though the Big East bylaws permitted Miami to leave, was just laughable, embarrassing to UConn. I understand why the ACC still holds a grudge about that.
05-09-2013 09:56 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-09-2013 09:30 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  BTW, the lawsuit was justified. The people of Connecticut spent a lot of money to upgrade the UConn FB program based on the Big East schools remaining together. And at that time, certain schools were working privately to get out of the conference. If we had known that the Big East was not long for this Earth, the upgrade expenses may not have been spent.

The justification for the lawsuit reads just as silly today as it did a decade ago. Using UConn's logic, any time any school in a conference makes a financial commitment to upgrade facilities, any other school in the conference becomes liable to them for damages for those upgrades should they decide to leave, even if the conference bylaws permit them to leave. In effect, it makes every school a hostage to a conference in perpetuity.

Just ridiculous. 03-banghead
05-09-2013 09:59 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
When will UCONN fans stop with the delusional BS that their school was going to the ACC except for the block by BC. It's a stupid argument that simply does not hold water. First, BC does not have the juice to single handedly nix UCONN. Second, the ACC could have "corrected the first error" by taking UCONN the second time around - but again failed to get this awesome gem that is head and shoulders above our schools.

I get the red ass you fans have, but c'mon and finally recognize that UCONN was not wanted. It sucks, but it's the truth. UCONN is a basketball school. Despite the recent football foray, UCONN is limited in potential to be a regular FB competitor. Your geography sucks for becoming a FB school. Therefore, you were too much of a risk for a P5 conference to invite you. No one cares about how many BB titles you have nor how dynastic your women's BB school is. FB is easily 80 percent of the equation. Limited upside, no tradition and no AAU membership hurts UCONN.

BTW...I wouldn't put too much stock in Jurich's comments concerning UCONN's name being inked for the ACC. Recall that Luck stated WVU was off to the SEC, so...
05-09-2013 10:04 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
it's possible that some schools still don't like UConn because of the lawsuit but to many other factors come into play, very little football history along with what most consider to be a" recruiting wasteland" doesn't help either
05-09-2013 10:11 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(05-09-2013 09:52 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  didnt vtech initially file suit as well, but dropped it once they got the invite?

Yes, and so did Pitt.
05-09-2013 10:24 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(05-09-2013 09:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 08:42 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  UConn fans have been playing this down with Cuse fans in Internet threads...but this to me is the "Smoking Gun" that UConn and their CT Attorney General really upset folks by personally naming university officials in the lawsuit 10 years ago. Cincy and USF fans gotta like that development.

Great point, thanks for posting this. The bottom line here is that UConn's lawsuit was just stupid. The idea that the ACC owed UConn damages because UConn "made investments in football" on the presumption that Miami's popularity would translate into more dollars for UConn, even though the Big East bylaws permitted Miami to leave, was just laughable, embarrassing to UConn. I understand why the ACC still holds a grudge about that.

You know that every school still in the Big East was part of that law suit.
05-09-2013 10:26 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(05-09-2013 10:04 PM)miko33 Wrote:  When will UCONN fans stop with the delusional BS that their school was going to the ACC except for the block by BC. It's a stupid argument that simply does not hold water. First, BC does not have the juice to single handedly nix UCONN. Second, the ACC could have "corrected the first error" by taking UCONN the second time around - but again failed to get this awesome gem that is head and shoulders above our schools.

I get the red ass you fans have, but c'mon and finally recognize that UCONN was not wanted. It sucks, but it's the truth. UCONN is a basketball school. Despite the recent football foray, UCONN is limited in potential to be a regular FB competitor. Your geography sucks for becoming a FB school. Therefore, you were too much of a risk for a P5 conference to invite you. No one cares about how many BB titles you have nor how dynastic your women's BB school is. FB is easily 80 percent of the equation. Limited upside, no tradition and no AAU membership hurts UCONN.

BTW...I wouldn't put too much stock in Jurich's comments concerning UCONN's name being inked for the ACC. Recall that Luck stated WVU was off to the SEC, so...

UConn FB has just as much going for it as Pitt, plus we have other several other successful sports programs that have lapped Pitt several times. For example, our hockey program is going into the top NCAA hockey conference next year. Multiply that by 100 and you get an idea of how strong the UConn athletic program is.

No one gives a rat's ass about Pitt's glory days 40 years ago. UConn was able to match Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and Rutgers over the last nine years despite our late start into 1-A FB. Given another 10 years with a playing level field, UConn would have blown past Pitt in FB. Our trajectory was up. Your trajectory has been flat or sinking since the Ford Administration.
05-09-2013 10:51 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(05-09-2013 08:42 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  UConn fan Nostical wrote this:

Look, we can surmise all we want about the effect of the lawsuit but I'm more inclined to confirm what alsacs has been saying (and I've posted this before). A good friend of mine who is also a very good friend of Jim Boeheim was playing golf with him after Jim had attended his first ACC meeting. My buddy called me later that day-knowing I'm a huge UConn backer--to tell me Jim said one of the things that surprised him was the level of vitriol (not his word, lol) at UConn about "that lawsuit". "It won't go away". He also said "based on what I heard down there, I don't think UConn's getting in." Which, by the way, he wasn't happy about. Dismiss it if you will, but that's pretty much a verbatim account.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/fsu-acc-...ost-597750

UConn fans have been playing this down with Cuse fans in Internet threads...but this to me is the "Smoking Gun" that UConn and their CT Attorney General really upset folks by personally naming university officials in the lawsuit 10 years ago. Cincy and USF fans gotta like that development.
Kinda helps, but it really doesn't matter. If there are no invites are going out, then it what does it matter if your first in line or last. I still don't see UConn being frozen out for good. If the ACC does need to fill a spot in the future, the lack of candidates will push UConn and its supporters to the forefront. There may be some competition, but I see them as the team to beat (to get into the ACC).
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 11:00 PM by bearcat29.)
05-09-2013 10:56 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
Hockey East x 100 = Strength of UConn's Athletic Department
05-09-2013 10:58 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-09-2013 10:51 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 10:04 PM)miko33 Wrote:  When will UCONN fans stop with the delusional BS that their school was going to the ACC except for the block by BC. It's a stupid argument that simply does not hold water. First, BC does not have the juice to single handedly nix UCONN. Second, the ACC could have "corrected the first error" by taking UCONN the second time around - but again failed to get this awesome gem that is head and shoulders above our schools.

UConn FB has just as much going for it as Pitt, plus we have other several other successful sports programs that have lapped Pitt several times. For example, our hockey program is going into the top NCAA hockey conference next year. Multiply that by 100 and you get an idea of how strong the UConn athletic program is.

No one gives a rat's ass about Pitt's glory days 40 years ago. UConn was able to match Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and Rutgers over the last nine years despite our late start into 1-A FB. Given another 10 years with a playing level field, UConn would have blown past Pitt in FB. Our trajectory was up. Your trajectory has been flat or sinking since the Ford Administration.

You don't get it. No one cares about your other athletic programs. It's not unique to just UCONN but everywhere. A great hockey team will NOT get you an invite to the P5 conferences. A dynastic women's BB team will NOT get you an invite to a P5 conference. A great track and field team... By now, you SHOULD get the picture. Sadly, you and most UCONN fans will simply never get it. The tangible things that the P5 conferences were looking for are football, football potential, how likely are the people in your TV footprint will want to consume the football product and how fertile are your local recruiting grounds? So despite your awesome athletic programs, UCONN is located in a part of the country that could give a rat's ass about CFB, your recruiting grounds suck and you have no tradition in CFB. It cannot be made any simpler for you than that. Wake up.

Don't even bother to try to spin the story that UCONN's trajectory is soooo much greater than Pitt's or Syracuse's. It isn't, and it's stupid to even suggest this to be true. Again, it ties back to the same reasons I gave above. Pitt and Syracuse royally screwed up their coaching hires the past decade, and this is why both schools have been down in FB. UCONN was lucky to have Edsall at the beginning. And common sense tells you that when you start something, your gains will be significant up front. Don't be stupid and try to project the initial early gains of your young program to continue indefinitely. When you start from basically nothing, you have only one way to go but up. Bottom line is that you have garbage for a recruiting region, you're located in a region of the country that does not care for CFB and you have no tradition. It should be obvious why UCONN is not in a P5 conference. Men's BB doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to realignment.
05-09-2013 11:26 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-09-2013 11:26 PM)miko33 Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 10:51 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

You don't get it. No one cares about your other athletic programs. It's not unique to just UCONN but everywhere. A great hockey team will NOT get you an invite to the P5 conferences. A dynastic women's BB team will NOT get you an invite to a P5 conference. A great track and field team... By now, you SHOULD get the picture. Sadly, you and most UCONN fans will simply never get it. The tangible things that the P5 conferences were looking for are football, football potential, how likely are the people in your TV footprint will want to consume the football product and how fertile are your local recruiting grounds? So despite your awesome athletic programs, UCONN is located in a part of the country that could give a rat's ass about CFB, your recruiting grounds suck and you have no tradition in CFB. It cannot be made any simpler for you than that. Wake up.

Don't even bother to try to spin the story that UCONN's trajectory is soooo much greater than Pitt's or Syracuse's. It isn't, and it's stupid to even suggest this to be true. Again, it ties back to the same reasons I gave above. Pitt and Syracuse royally screwed up their coaching hires the past decade, and this is why both schools have been down in FB. UCONN was lucky to have Edsall at the beginning. And common sense tells you that when you start something, your gains will be significant up front. Don't be stupid and try to project the initial early gains of your young program to continue indefinitely. When you start from basically nothing, you have only one way to go but up. Bottom line is that you have garbage for a recruiting region, you're located in a region of the country that does not care for CFB and you have no tradition. It should be obvious why UCONN is not in a P5 conference. Men's BB doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to realignment.
I was told on this board by several posters the B1G cares very deeply about all of these programs and it wasn't about football only. Did you eat some bad sushi tonight Miko? (your welcome)
05-09-2013 11:33 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(05-09-2013 09:30 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  If you look at:

1) the overall quality of the athletic department/commitment to success
2) local market/fan support
3) national brand
4) academics

UConn is as good (or better) than Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and Virginia Tech. Therefore, the only two possible explanations on why UConn isn't in the ACC would be our lack of FB tradition (1-AA until 2000) and the lawsuit. Maybe it's a combination of both of those reasons. But it's NOT due to #1 to #4 listed above.

BTW, the lawsuit was justified. The people of Connecticut spent a lot of money to upgrade the UConn FB program based on the Big East schools remaining together. And at that time, certain schools were working privately to get out of the conference. If we had known that the Big East was not long for this Earth, the upgrade expenses may not have been spent.

You do realize that "UCONN" stand for the "University of Connecticut," and not "Notre Dame," right?

UCONN does not have better academics than more than half the schools that you listed, UCONN doesn't have a better national brand than any of the schools that you listed (other than possibly BC), UCONN does not have better fan support than about half the schools that you listed, and UCONN has a football stadium 20-30 miles from campus, so it's safe to say that UCONN doesn't have better facilities than most D-I schools in America, let alone schools like UL.

FWIW, I'm not even anti-UCONN. Honestly, UCONN is in my dream northeastern conference.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 12:45 AM by nzmorange.)
05-10-2013 12:38 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Seems far fetched as pitt was also part of lawsuit with uconn,(also wvu, rut, va tech.)
05-10-2013 05:39 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
I think UConn's attendance at the Fiesta Bowl hurt them more than any lawsuit.
05-10-2013 06:43 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(05-09-2013 10:26 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 09:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

You know that every school still in the Big East was part of that law suit.

No, the suit was filed by UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU, and VT. That was it. It was not a BE suit. When SU and BC didn't get invited but VT did, the 4 remaining schools wanted them to join the lawsuit and they declined.

Cheers,
Neil
05-10-2013 06:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.