Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten E/W divisions, 9-game FB schedule officially approved
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Big Ten E/W divisions, 9-game FB schedule officially approved
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...e-schedule

Quote:The Big Ten on Sunday approved new East and West divisions for the 2014 season as well as a nine-game conference schedule beginning in 2016.

The league's presidents and chancellors voted unanimously to approve the recommendations from the athletic directors Sunday morning during a conference call.
04-28-2013 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Big Ten E/W divisions, 9-game FB schedule officially approved
(04-28-2013 01:11 PM)Wedge Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...e-schedule

Quote:The Big Ten on Sunday approved new East and West divisions for the 2014 season as well as a nine-game conference schedule beginning in 2016.

The league's presidents and chancellors voted unanimously to approve the recommendations from the athletic directors Sunday morning during a conference call.

9 Game Conference schedule now in place in 3 of the 5 Contract Leagues-(Pac 12, B1G & Big XII)...With the coming SEC & ACC Networks would not surprise me @ all if you see those leagues go to a 9 game schedule as well....more content for their networks.

Now if that happens....how will the GoF be able to secure games against Contract Leagues...you already have the instate Rivalry Games between the SEC/ACC with the following...Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina & Louisville-Kentucky...not to mention the 5 Game Schedule agreement with ND with a possible scheduling agreement between the ACC/Big XII... 04-cheers
04-28-2013 01:17 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Good move - Rutgers goes from scheduling 5 OOC games to 3. That will make it easier for the new AD when scheduling OOC games. Army and Navy will rotate in and out. I suspect Rutgers will try to keep a Florida team on the schedule to keep that recruiting pipeline opened and that they will try to continue to rotate schools like Temple, UConn, and Syracuse through too. They will also have to keep a body bag home - one and done game on the schedule for the years they only have 4 B-10 home games to maximize a 7 home game schedule every year.
04-28-2013 01:21 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: RE: Big Ten E/W divisions, 9-game FB schedule officially approved
(04-28-2013 01:17 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 01:11 PM)Wedge Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...e-schedule

9 Game Conference schedule now in place in 3 of the 5 Contract Leagues-(Pac 12, B1G & Big XII)...With the coming SEC & ACC Networks would not surprise me @ all if you see those leagues go to a 9 game schedule as well....more content for their networks.

Now if that happens....how will the GoF be able to secure games against Contract Leagues...you already have the instate Rivalry Games between the SEC/ACC with the following...Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina & Louisville-Kentucky...not to mention the 5 Game Schedule agreement with ND with a possible scheduling agreement between the ACC/Big XII... :cheers:

I'm not sure that the ACC and SEC need to go to 9 games because of the 4 in state OOC rivalries/Wake-Vandy plus in the ACC's case the ND partial membership.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
04-28-2013 01:22 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2013 01:22 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

Now if that happens....how will the GoF be able to secure games against Contract Leagues...you already have the instate Rivalry Games between the SEC/ACC with the following...Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina & Louisville-Kentucky...not to mention the 5 Game Schedule agreement with ND with a possible scheduling agreement between the ACC/Big XII... 04-cheers

I'm not sure that the ACC and SEC need to go to 9 games because of the 4 in state OOC rivalries/Wake-Vandy plus in the ACC's case the ND partial membership.

Maybe so, but there are rumors that the SEC is going to move to a 9-game FB schedule eventually, and if that happens, then any complaints of FSU/GT/Clemson about a 9-game ACC schedule being "too much" will sound hollow.

Also, if the ACC wants to launch a conference network, they could really use the improved football content that they would get from a 9-game conference schedule.
04-28-2013 01:36 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
3 OOC games will drop the demand and not scheduling FCS teams will drop the supply an equal amount. Group of 5 will all still play the Power 5 at the same rate and pay. MAC vs Big Ten, MWC vs PAC, AAC vs ACC, SBC and CUSA vs SEC and Big 12. This is terrible news for the FCS teams though. FCS will wither away over the next decade.

There may only be 3 divisions going forward. Semi-Professional Power Conferences, D1 (Group of 5), and D3 (everybody else). This is why we see the mad scramble into FBS from FCS teams who see this and also why we have a capped payout at 12 per conference to discourage the invites.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 01:42 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
04-28-2013 01:41 PM
Advertisement

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(04-28-2013 01:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Maybe so, but there are rumors that the SEC is going to move to a 9-game FB schedule eventually, and if that happens, then any complaints of FSU/GT/Clemson about a 9-game ACC schedule being "too much" will sound hollow.

Also, if the ACC wants to launch a conference network, they could really use the improved football content that they would get from a 9-game conference schedule.

I believe this is why the ACC has significantly improved the OOC scheduling..content purposes. It doesn't really have to move to 9 games. SEC on the other hand is a different beast.
04-28-2013 01:44 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

This aspect of the Big Ten schedule will be good for competitive balance within the divisions: "To try to combat the imbalance of schools playing five conference home games one season and four the next, the conference will have five home games for the teams from the East in even-numbered years and teams from the West in odd-numbered years."

Each team will always have the same number of conference home games as every other team in its division.
04-28-2013 02:24 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
FSU/Florida
GT/Georgia
Wake/Vandy
Louisville/Kentucky
Clemson/South Carolina

That's one reason I believe we won't see the SEC or ACC go to a 9-game conference slate.

I also remember NC State AD Debbie Yow indicate that while she prefers a 9-game slate, the majority of the members prefer 8. Plus we have to remember that ever so often, North Carolina and NC State will play home-and-home dates with South Carolina, so that's another reason why I don't see either conference going to 9 (unless its been stated already and I missed it)

(WARNING: below is pie-in-the-sky wish-listing, nothing more, nothing less)

Now, if they could take the rest of the members and create a rotation of sorts, like so:

Year 1 and 2

North Carolina/Ole Miss
NC State/Tennessee
Virginia Tech/Texas A&M
Virginia/Tennessee
Duke/LSU (good GAWD, imagine that game in Durham)

so forth and so on, then the next couple of years...

North Carolina/Arkansas
NC State/Auburn
Virginia Tech/Alabama
Virginia/Ole Miss

(/end of pie-in-the-sky)
04-28-2013 02:38 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-28-2013 01:41 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  3 OOC games will drop the demand and not scheduling FCS teams will drop the supply an equal amount. Group of 5 will all still play the Power 5 at the same rate and pay. MAC vs Big Ten, MWC vs PAC, AAC vs ACC, SBC and CUSA vs SEC and Big 12. This is terrible news for the FCS teams though. FCS will wither away over the next decade.

This is the story that nobody is talking about, what is the migration of 8-10 of the stronger programs at the FCS level going to do to overall power ratings of FCS and will it force a mandate to reduce scholarships further to 50 at the FCS level?

Its going to be harder for an FCS school to finish in the Top 100 of the Sagarin Ratings when there are 130 teams in FBS. That is 10 more schools playing at the top level plus 200 more scholarships that would normally be available to top FCS programs.

It's going to be a hard hit.
04-28-2013 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

Once the SEC and ACC go to 9 conference games, the GoF conferences will have no other choice than to go to 9 conference games as well. That way it minimizes the headache of finding 3 OOC games instead of 4. I agree with the poster who said it will affect FCS schools the most.
04-28-2013 03:15 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(04-28-2013 01:44 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 01:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 01:17 PM)Maize Wrote:  [quote='Wedge' pid='9277043' dateline='1367172661']http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9220734/big-ten-schools-ok-realignment-9-game-schedule

I'm not sure that the ACC and SEC need to go to 9 games because of the 4 in state OOC rivalries/Wake-Vandy plus in the ACC's case the ND partial membership./quote]Maybe so, but there are rumors that the SEC is going to move to a 9-game FB schedule eventually, and if that happens, then any complaints of FSU/GT/Clemson about a 9-game ACC schedule being "too much" will sound hollow.

I believe this is why the ACC has significantly improved the OOC scheduling..content purposes. It doesn't really have to move to 9 games. SEC on the other hand is a different beast.
Since SOS is supposed to be a part of the selection criteria for the college football playoff, I think all the power conference teams will be upgrading their OOC schedules eventually...
04-28-2013 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
This is going to be great for the SOS of the B1G to play 9 conference games and remove the FCS schools, IMO.
04-28-2013 03:43 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I doubt the fcs games will be the ones that go away. The arrogant conferences want their easy home games.
04-28-2013 03:54 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-28-2013 01:41 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  3 OOC games will drop the demand and not scheduling FCS teams will drop the supply an equal amount. Group of 5 will all still play the Power 5 at the same rate and pay. MAC vs Big Ten, MWC vs PAC, AAC vs ACC, SBC and CUSA vs SEC and Big 12. This is terrible news for the FCS teams though. FCS will wither away over the next decade.

There may only be 3 divisions going forward. Semi-Professional Power Conferences, D1 (Group of 5), and D3 (everybody else). This is why we see the mad scramble into FBS from FCS teams who see this and also why we have a capped payout at 12 per conference to discourage the invites.
That's two jumps down from the current system, since D2 and FCS both allow scholarships and D3 does not, s we have, de facto, five football divisions ~ FBS Major, FBS Mid-Major, FCS, Div2, Div3.

But FBS Major, D1, D2, D3, with FCS merging into Division2, that wouldn't shock me at all. After all, there are a number of FCS schools that would happily drop down to Div2 football if it didn't mean dropping their other sports to Div2 as well, and areas where a merged Div2 / FCS football conference would be more geographically sensible.

Formally, all it would take would be to merge the Div2 playoffs into the Div1 FCS playoffs, since under existing NCAA rules, Div2 schools can compete in the Div1 playoffs when there is no Div2 playoff.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 04:30 PM by BruceMcF.)
04-28-2013 04:28 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-28-2013 03:15 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Once the SEC and ACC go to 9 conference games, the GoF conferences will have no other choice than to go to 9 conference games as well. That way it minimizes the headache of finding 3 OOC games instead of 4. I agree with the poster who said it will affect FCS schools the most.

FCS games will still be there. Its just they will be against mid-majors and will pay much less since the mid-majors cant afford to pay as much. The lower tier and even mid-tier mid-majors are not worried about strength of schedule since they have absolutely no real chance of going to a playoff anyway (even the upper mids have little shot at the play off---for them its more about the non-AQ BCS bowl slot). These mid-to-lower tier mid-majors are just worried about getting bowl qualified. They could care less about SOS. To an extent, the same is even true of the lower tier AQ schools. Duke knows they are not going to the playoff. So, an FCS on the schedule works just fine for them since they are really only striving to get bowl qualified. FCS games against the Michigans and Alabamas of the world are probably going to slowly vanish.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 05:32 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-28-2013 05:26 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(04-28-2013 02:56 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

This is the story that nobody is talking about, what is the migration of 8-10 of the stronger programs at the FCS level going to do to overall power ratings of FCS and will it force a mandate to reduce scholarships further to 50 at the FCS level?

Its going to be harder for an FCS school to finish in the Top 100 of the Sagarin Ratings when there are 130 teams in FBS. That is 10 more schools playing at the top level plus 200 more scholarships that would normally be available to top FCS programs.

I think this is why so many FCS teams are looking and hoping to make the jump up. They know the body bags games are going to slow down if not stop.

Their was word about the B1G stopping them in conference. So, they must have seen this coming too.
04-28-2013 05:36 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-28-2013 05:36 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 02:56 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

I think this is why so many FCS teams are looking and hoping to make the jump up. They know the body bags games are going to slow down if not stop.

Their was word about the B1G stopping them in conference. So, they must have seen this coming too.

Pac 12 has talked about doing away with them as well.
04-28-2013 05:46 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
We may never move to large enough conferences to have tournaments but we still may very well see an additional week of football added to the end of the season.

If all the major conferences move to 9 game conference schedules, they should have enough clout in the NCAA to push to a 13 game season. The minor conferences wont stand in the way because without that 13 game season they are going to lose more and more big payday games with the Majors. They are easily leveraged on this by the Majors.
04-28-2013 05:53 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2013 03:54 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I doubt the fcs games will be the ones that go away.

The contract-conference teams that see themselves as playoff contenders are likely to stop playing FCS teams.

The ones that don't see themselves as contenders, and are just hoping to scrape together 6 or 7 wins to be bowl-eligible, will still play FCS teams and will play as soft a non-con schedule as they can. If anything, playing 9 conference games instead of 8 means that teams like Indiana will need those games against Ball State and Indiana State even more.
04-28-2013 06:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.