Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC looking at Grant of rights?
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
MAC looking at Grant of rights?
Quote:Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS 13m
ACC isn't only conference recently on grant of rights trip. #MAC currently looking into it.

Interesting. MACtion forever!!
04-24-2013 03:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: MAC looking at Grant of rights?
Interesting. I'm sure all would sign it. Outside of UMASS, no one is looking at their schools for call-up. Maybe they think it'll help their TV deal in the future?
04-24-2013 03:41 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-24-2013 03:41 PM)apex_pirate Wrote:  Interesting. I'm sure all would sign it. Outside of UMASS, no one is looking at their schools for call-up. Maybe they think it'll help their TV deal in the future?

I doubt it would do anything for thier TV deal. The MAC has always been considered stable. The only G5 conference that would get anything out of a GOR might be the AAC (and I stress the word "might").
04-24-2013 04:01 PM
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
This might be positioning for the "split". If the P5 do leave the NCAA or go to their own division the MAC could be one of the new power conferences in D1.
04-24-2013 04:06 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Actually in a weird way, that does make sense. None of the MAC schools will be moving to one of the power 5 conferences, but there is risk of Conference USA or the AAC competing for a member at somepoint or even the Sunbelt. Since it isn't clear who though and since the MAC as is is in pretty good condition, it might make sense to everyone to just lock down now.
04-24-2013 04:53 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(04-24-2013 04:01 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-24-2013 03:41 PM)apex_pirate Wrote:  Interesting. I'm sure all would sign it. Outside of UMASS, no one is looking at their schools for call-up. Maybe they think it'll help their TV deal in the future?

I doubt it would do anything for thier TV deal. The MAC has always been considered stable. The only G5 conference that would get anything out of a GOR might be the AAC (and I stress the word "might").

Yes, but their TV deal isn't very good, and all the MAC schools know it. Maybe they can get a better deal that way. I don't know why else they'd bother. Has to be a $$$ issue. Or they're trying to press UMass for a quick decision on what they're doing.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 05:15 PM by NIU007.)
04-24-2013 05:14 PM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
WHY?
04-24-2013 05:24 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-24-2013 05:14 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(04-24-2013 04:01 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Yes, but their TV deal isn't very good, and all the MAC schools know it. Maybe they can get a better deal that way. I don't know why else they'd bother. Has to be a $$$ issue. Or they're trying to press UMass for a quick decision on what they're doing.

Could be. It also couold be that they are protecting the nice compact geographic conference that they currently have. If they can prevent it from being raided by either the AAC or CUSA, it could potentially develop into the a conference that is on a level with the MW or AAC. If the AAC or MW each get thier better programs poached--they can only reload from a very weakened CUSA and Sunbelt--the MAC would be off limits. That might allow a stable unpoachable MAC to close the distance between them and the AAC and MW. At the very least, it allows the MAC to easily lock in thier ccurrent position above the Sunbelt and CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 05:29 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-24-2013 05:27 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-24-2013 05:24 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  WHY?

The UMass situation and maybe the MAC has an early TV deal extension in mind with ESPN.

The MAC only has 4 more years under its current deal and maybe ESPN wants to align the MAC with its AAC and MWC deals.
04-24-2013 05:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping

UMass and #14. They don't want anymore football-only or temporary members like UCF or Temple. If you want in, you are sticking around. It has to be for that because the core 12 are stable so it must be for UMass and #14. But you cant just ask UMass and #14 to sign away GoR and not the rest, so everybody is.

04-24-2013 06:15 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
I guess they're afraid of what happened to the WAC. Seems unnecessary though.
04-24-2013 06:17 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Any opinion on who the front runners are #14?
04-24-2013 06:18 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(04-24-2013 06:15 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

UMass and #14. They don't want anymore football-only or temporary members like UCF or Temple. If you want in, you are sticking around. It has to be for that because the core 12 are stable so it must be for UMass and #14. But you cant just ask UMass and #14 to sign away GoR and not the rest, so everybody is.

You don't need a GoR to get UMass to join for all sports. It's already built into the contract if they want to force the issue.

If you want in to the MAC for all sports, you're sticking around anyway. A GoR doesn't change that. It doesn't protect any media rights, either, since the MAC TV contract is beyond pitiful and if anybody leaves they're not really losing anything on that front.

This is a waste. I hope that any current MAC school that wants to better themselves finds a way out immediately, even if it's to a conference that doesn't provide a near-term advantage. All a GoR does for the MAC is satisfy those schools that are content with mediocrity, since they know they'll never have to improve because the better programs will be locked in to provide media value.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 06:23 PM by uakronkid.)
04-24-2013 06:23 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(04-24-2013 06:18 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Any opinion on who the front runners are #14?

JMU is always in the conversation.
04-24-2013 06:23 PM
All American

(04-24-2013 06:18 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Any opinion on who the front runners are #14?

James Madison or Delaware. UMass will influence the decision.

04-24-2013 06:24 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Interesting.

Personally I'd jump at the chance to get another state Flagship school like UD who has a long history of success in FCS
04-24-2013 06:28 PM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(04-24-2013 06:28 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Interesting.

Personally I'd jump at the chance to get another state Flagship school like UD who has a long history of success in FCS

UD is not interested in anything but the CAA. They don't want to give up the control they have over that conference.
04-24-2013 06:32 PM
All American

(04-24-2013 06:32 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(04-24-2013 06:28 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Interesting.

UD is not interested in anything but the CAA. They don't want to give up the control they have over that conference.

Im not buying that line by UD. They are talking to several conferences. UMass made a statement 6 months before they joined the MAC that they weren't interested in FBS. James Madison will leave the CAA and the CAA will continue to weaken and UD knows that.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 06:34 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
04-24-2013 06:33 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-24-2013 06:23 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  You don't need a GoR to get UMass to join for all sports. It's already built into the contract if they want to force the issue.

If you want in to the MAC for all sports, you're sticking around anyway.

Yes, but UMass's first preference is MAC FB-only, so "if you want in to the MAC for all sports" doesn't apply.

Indeed, given the experience of three FB-only schools since 2002, with an average stay to date of under four years, a Grant of Rights also makes sense for stability if UMass is being offered the opportunity to continue as a FB-only school, since adding a #14 all-sports to balance football would be upset again if UMass then elected to leave for different pastures.
04-24-2013 07:27 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion

Assuming UMass stays, JMU is definitely the leader. UD is in the running, although I still think they're complacent with staying in FCS.

If UMass leaves, I can see us trying to go after Missouri State and stAte for 13 and 14, seeing how we would: a) get away from the Big Ten, who's eastward expansion would mitigate our gains from the UMass-JMU expansion, b) add a good b-ball program and rising football program, c) stay reasonably within our geographical footprint, and d) lock up our current bowl opportunities in the south and possibly attract another one if we're lucky.
04-24-2013 10:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.