Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Orange Bowl - Permanent move to New Year's Eve?
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Orange Bowl - Permanent move to New Year's Eve?
Was just checking out http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com and noted that it lists the Orange Bowl as being played on 12/31 every year in the first three year cycle, including the two years that it is not hosting a semifinal.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Personally, I think the OB should be moved to January 2nd or 3rd in years when it is not hosting a semifinal, i.e. the old BCS timeslots. It seems more likely to me that January 2nd or 3rd would be a stronger time slot than New Year's Eve.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 09:45 AM by orangefan.)
04-24-2013 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
RE: Orange Bowl - Permanent move to New Year's Eve?
The Orange Bowl should be on Jan 1 along with the Rose, Sugar and Cotton Bowls. The championship game can be played on the second Saturday following Jan 1.
04-24-2013 09:49 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
I saw that, but not sure its totally updated or that it would hold throughout the 12yrs.
04-24-2013 10:03 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
Looks like they've split the 6 bowls...3 on Jan 1...and 3 on Dec 31. I assume that's to prevent overlap.
04-24-2013 10:05 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-24-2013 10:05 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Looks like they've split the 6 bowls...3 on Jan 1...and 3 on Dec 31. I assume that's to prevent overlap.

Orange originally announced it was doing the noon slot on January 1. They definitely will be on December 31 the years they are a semi-final. They've said semis will be on December 31 when its not Rose/Sugar.
04-24-2013 10:27 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
The goal for the ACC Champion is not the "Orange Bowl" but to make the CFP...the Orange Bowl should be for the #2 ACC School...the goal is the "Playoffs" period.
04-24-2013 10:29 AM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I recall that also, I'm guessing they have orange and 'host bowl central' backward unless something changed.
04-24-2013 10:35 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
For me, the further away from Christmas they move these bowls, the more likely I am to be able to go.
04-24-2013 10:39 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I think this is a typo. However, if it is not, as long as the Orange Bowl isn't played at 1 p.m. on NYE, I'd prefer it this way. If the OB is played at 8 p.m. or even 5 p.m. on NYE, that is better than 1 p.m. on NYD, IMHO.
04-24-2013 11:32 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Saw that too and since it lists January 2nd some years (when New Years is a Sunday), I don't think it's a typo. My guess is the Orange Bowl is the primetime game 4 of 6 years (except when 2 semi-finals are on New Years eve and not the orange bowl).
04-24-2013 11:35 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Not that it matters anway becuase the ACC is doomed! Doomed, I tell ye! Doooooomed!

My sources - who have never been wrong throughout this saga - have assured me that there's a press conference set for next Tuesday in which Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech will announce that they are leaving the ACC for the AAC. They're trying to block USF and UCF from going to the Big 12 and this is the best strategy they could think of towards that end.
04-24-2013 11:35 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(04-24-2013 09:49 AM)lew240z Wrote:  The Orange Bowl should be on Jan 1 along with the Rose, Sugar and Cotton Bowls. The championship game can be played on the second Saturday following Jan 1.
I agree. I loved the four big bowls all being on New Years Day. Had like three TVs all hooked up in my living room. Now we have PIP...04-rock
04-24-2013 02:09 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
I don't think it's a typo. I think the OB expressed the desire to have a primetime slot and noon on NYD is not primetime. So the Cotton will move to that noon NYD slot and the OB will be primetime NYE. There are worse places to spend NYE than in Miami.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 02:19 PM by CommuterBob.)
04-24-2013 02:18 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(04-24-2013 02:18 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  I don't think it's a typo. I think the OB expressed the desire to have a primetime slot and noon on NYD is not primetime. So the Cotton will move to that noon NYD slot and the OB will be primetime NYE. There are worse places to spend NYE than in Miami.

I think in 2/3 years that'll be the case, but the one year they aren't hosting a SF and an Access bowl is hosting the SF, the OB would be then at 1pm on NYE.
04-24-2013 02:40 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(04-24-2013 02:18 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  I don't think it's a typo. I think the OB expressed the desire to have a primetime slot and noon on NYD is not primetime. So the Cotton will move to that noon NYD slot and the OB will be primetime NYE. There are worse places to spend NYE than in Miami.
The Cotton Bowl was always played in the noon or one o'clock time slot on NYD, so that would definitely bring some tradition back. If I remember right it was Cotton, Rose, Sugar, and Orange on NYD...in that order. I was po'ed that the BSC kicked out the Cotton Bowl. New game in Arlington now though with the Jerry Jones Dome...
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 02:46 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
04-24-2013 02:43 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(04-24-2013 02:40 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

I think in 2/3 years that'll be the case, but the one year they aren't hosting a SF and an Access bowl is hosting the SF, the OB would be then at 1pm on NYE.

The rotation falls that way for the 2016-2017 season. We will see when the OB starts then. Maybe that's one reason why the OB only gets a 2/3 deal compared to the Rose/Sugar.
04-24-2013 02:49 PM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
This is a complete slap in the face to the TV veiwers and networks. Who is playing in prime time on NYD? The Sugar Bowl shouldn't automatically get that spot if it is not a SF game. Doesn't make sense not to have a SF game in that slot. The semi-finals need to be in prime time on NYE and NYD. Not 1:00 pm ET and 8:00 pm ET either. I don't want to be sandwiched with Wisconsin Stanford in the middle of the playoff. That is the lamest thing Delaney and Scott could do.

Why not the 2nd or 3rd? What the heck is wrong with that? We need fillers for Wild Card weekend do we not? That's why the BCS gets decent ratings from time to time.

I would go Jan 1st/2nd for years when it is the Rose/Sugar hosting. Then rotate the other three access bowls on the 2nd and 3rd. If the Orange wants NYD, then give them the 1 o'clock slot. Flex them to prime time on a SF year in place of the Sugar every three years.
04-24-2013 03:06 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

looking at things-
Dec 31 2014
Host Bowl East(Chick-fil-a)
Host Bowl West(Fiesta)
Orange
Jan 1,2015
Host Bowl Central(Cotton)
Rose Bowl(SF)
Sugar Bowl(SF)
Dec 31
Host Bowl East(Chick-fil-a)
Host Bowl Central(Cotton)(SF)
Orange Bowl(SF)
Jan 1
Host Bowl West(Fiesta)
Rose Bowl
Sugar Bowl
Dec 31
Orange Bowl
Host Bowl East(Chick-fil-a)(SF)
Host Bowl West(Fiesta)(SF)
Jan 2
Host bowl Central(cotton)
Rose Bowl
Sugar Bowl
04-24-2013 03:11 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(04-24-2013 03:06 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  This is a complete slap in the face to the TV veiwers and networks. Who is playing in prime time on NYD? The Sugar Bowl shouldn't automatically get that spot if it is not a SF game. Doesn't make sense not to have a SF game in that slot. The semi-finals need to be in prime time on NYE and NYD. Not 1:00 pm ET and 8:00 pm ET either. I don't want to be sandwiched with Wisconsin Stanford in the middle of the playoff. That is the lamest thing Delaney and Scott could do.

Why not the 2nd or 3rd? What the heck is wrong with that? We need fillers for Wild Card weekend do we not? That's why the BCS gets decent ratings from time to time.

I would go Jan 1st/2nd for years when it is the Rose/Sugar hosting. Then rotate the other three access bowls on the 2nd and 3rd. If the Orange wants NYD, then give them the 1 o'clock slot. Flex them to prime time on a SF year in place of the Sugar every three years.

There's a number of reason for this.
1- They are going to have both SF on the same day for competitive purposes.
2- They like having the SF a day earlier for an extra day of rest when possible for the championship games.
3- The Sugar will always be with the Rose and and Access bowl. 1 year it's a sf, the other 2 years, those are just bowl games and not sf.
4- not going to be 2nd or 3rd, because they want to retake NYE/NYD for bowls.
04-24-2013 03:15 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

This would appear to be the case, although most older reports said 1p nyd.
04-24-2013 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.