Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa World: CTBA media rights deal worth up to 3.5M per year, per team
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/J...TLIN627987

At the end of the 2012-13 sports calendar, TU is expected to receive a media-rights payment of about $1.5 million from Conference USA. Upham says Big East membership should be worth between $2.8 million and $3.5 million a year.

"The revenue boost we get will more than cover our fees over the five-year period," Upham said.

The current Big East recently concluded negotiations on new television contracts with ESPN/ABC and CBS. The reported figures from those deals suggest that each member school would receive slightly less than $2 million a year, but the terms of the new television contracts "have been understated," Aresco said.

"All I can say is that when people have talked about revenue in our conference, they have tended to understate it," Aresco told the Tulsa World. "We have two TV deals. We also have marketing rights that people have not figured in. A lot of conferences sell their marketing rights as part of their TV deal. We didn't. In addition, we have a lot of other sources of revenue in this conference (most notably, the $100 million from the departing Catholic universities).
04-03-2013 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Tulsa World: CTBA media rights deal worth up to 3.5M per year, per team
wow, it's an anti-trollgrass type of story. I like it.
04-03-2013 09:42 AM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
The reason people tend to understate the revenue Mikey is because you haven't provided any clarity. There's been no clear outline of what the conference income will look like, especially from one of the largest revenue earnings vehicles the conference will have, exit fees.

Now I don't blame Mike, why would anyone advertise that exit fees will be one of the primary revenue streams. That's not a long term business plan, that's attrition.
04-03-2013 09:44 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(04-03-2013 09:44 AM)Fireman451 Wrote:  The reason people tend to understate the revenue Mikey is because you haven't provided any clarity. There's been no clear outline of what the conference income will look like, especially from one of the largest revenue earnings vehicles the conference will have, exit fees.

Now I don't blame Mike, why would anyone advertise that exit fees will be one of the primary revenue streams. That's not a long term business plan, that's attrition.

A good part of the money left by the C7 are all the tourney units. I mean just case in point, the 2 final four teams this year- Syracuse and Louisville- just this year alone are going to be worth 2.5 million dollars a year over the next 6 years. Louisville and Syracuse just by themselves are going to be leaving at least 30 million dollars in units over the next 6 years(and would be more from next year's Louisville team). It'll be interesting to see how that money is distributed.

Heck- ND, Pitt, and WV- have left about 22 million dollars.
04-03-2013 10:05 AM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
Good info Stever. The new teams will be living off the fruit of the old regime for a while then.

Maybe the Metrosquad will leave something behind for the future CUSA and Sun Belt teams when they need to be replaced.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 10:22 AM by Blackhawk-eye.)
04-03-2013 10:22 AM
Advertisement

Angry Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-03-2013 10:22 AM)Fireman451 Wrote:  Good info Stever. The new teams will be living off the fruit of the old regime for a while then.

Maybe the Metrosquad will leave something behind for the future CUSA and Sun Belt teams when they need to be replaced.

The question is how much of this "fruit" are UConn, Cincy and USF going to share with the others. Aresco is a snake oil salesman. Isn't he the one that was promising 10 million + a year per school? Yeah, I'd put a lot of stock in anything he says.
04-03-2013 10:36 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
It does look like the replacement cycle for the A12 will come primarily from CUSA/SBC

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
CUSA (Georgia St, Ark St)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

Old Dominion might be the next A12 addition in the East before UMass even unless their football program takes off.
04-03-2013 10:36 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(04-03-2013 10:36 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  It does look like the replacement cycle for the A12 will come primarily from CUSA/SBC

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

Old Dominion might be the next A12 addition in the East before UMass even unless their football program takes off.

This assumes that there are only 2 more moves into/out of ACC. If the B10 makes 2 moves from ACC, then there will likely be 4-6 total moves. If the B10 opens that can of worms, then the SEC and B12 would likely take 2 ACC teams also. I can't really see a scenario where the B10 grabs 2 ACC teams and no one else makes any moves whatsoever. So there will either be no moves or lots of moves, not just 2 moves.
04-03-2013 11:00 AM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-03-2013 10:36 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  It does look like the replacement cycle for the A12 will come primarily from CUSA/SBC

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

if UConn is added, Fla. St. and Georgia Tech will be gone.
04-03-2013 11:11 AM
Advertisement

CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green
(04-03-2013 09:33 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/J...TLIN627987

At the end of the 2012-13 sports calendar, TU is expected to receive a media-rights payment of about $1.5 million from Conference USA. Upham says Big East membership should be worth between $2.8 million and $3.5 million a year.

"The revenue boost we get will more than cover our fees over the five-year period," Upham said.

The current Big East recently concluded negotiations on new television contracts with ESPN/ABC and CBS. The reported figures from those deals suggest that each member school would receive slightly less than $2 million a year, but the terms of the new television contracts "have been understated," Aresco said.

"All I can say is that when people have talked about revenue in our conference, they have tended to understate it," Aresco told the Tulsa World. "We have two TV deals. We also have marketing rights that people have not figured in. A lot of conferences sell their marketing rights as part of their TV deal. We didn't. In addition, we have a lot of other sources of revenue in this conference (most notably, the $100 million from the departing Catholic universities).

If there were only a term for entities that promise profits for new participants by using the money provided by existing/departing participants...
04-04-2013 06:04 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(04-03-2013 10:36 AM)Angry Eagle Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 10:22 AM)Fireman451 Wrote:  Good info Stever. The new teams will be living off the fruit of the old regime for a while then.

The question is how much of this "fruit" are UConn, Cincy and USF going to share with the others. Aresco is a snake oil salesman. Isn't he the one that was promising 10 million + a year per school? Yeah, I'd put a lot of stock in anything he says.

I'm not sure that he ever promised anything even remotely close to that number. When ECU joined, our officials stated that we expected to receive approximately $4-5M per year per team.
04-04-2013 08:23 AM
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

You're assuming that if the ACC loses two members they're definitely going to replace them and go back to 14. Who's to say they don't stay at 12? Adding UConn and Cincinnati would at best keep the TV payouts the same and water down the league competitively. Staying at 12 would allow teams to play each other at least every other year.
04-04-2013 08:56 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(04-04-2013 08:56 AM)gocards#1 Wrote:  

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

You're assuming that if the ACC loses two members they're definitely going to replace them and go back to 14. Who's to say they don't stay at 12? Adding UConn and Cincinnati would at best keep the TV payouts the same and water down the league competitively. Staying at 12 would allow teams to play each other at least every other year.

I think it would depend on who got taken to if they go back to 14.
04-04-2013 09:03 AM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(04-03-2013 11:11 AM)Tintin Wrote:  

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

Which makes no sense because UConn's FB program, BB program, and TV market are as good (or better) than those of Syracuse, Pitt, and BC.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 01:24 PM by UConn-SMU.)
04-04-2013 01:23 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!
I really don't think the AAC will move on Rice... unless SMU and Tulane really have leverage. Umass and ODU, especially if they have a few years to get things moving.
04-04-2013 07:19 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

I think that Cincinnati will end up in the Big 12 and not the ACC
04-04-2013 07:39 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(04-04-2013 07:39 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  

Next Round
ACC (UConn, UC)
A12 (Rice, ODU)
SBC (Lamar, Jax St)

I think that Cincinnati will end up in the Big 12 and not the ACC

Not as long a UT is running things in that conference. Just not going to happen until Cincy has the ability to bring at least 20 million dollars a year in revenue to the conference. No way is UT going to take a cut in pay to allow Cincy to come on board.
04-04-2013 10:13 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Someone tell me why anyone would believe Aresco or Marinatto if they promised to pay back a nickel the next day? I would despise them as the most despicable of liars if I didn't feel a twinge of pity for whatever fraction of their hollow promises can be chalked up to them having no choice but to believe and promise the best.

And, as I said, the other planned CUSA members can breathe their sigh of relief now at officially no longer being the dumbest rock in the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
04-04-2013 10:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.