Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Sun Belt expansion
Bubba Bexley Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ASU
OT - Sun Belt expansion
I apologize for posting this here, but the following suggestion has not been allowed on the Sun Belt Board due to a close-minded moderator. As you will read, it is not an inflamatory post unless you are opposed to thinking out of the box. Posting this here will give Sun Belt fans a chance to see the suggestion since a large number read this board. Again I apologize.

The post:

I think the Sun Belt should protect itself by inviting five HBUs: Jackson State, Southern, Grambling, UAPB and Texas Southern or Prairie View.

(Twice I have suggested the Belt invite HBUs, and twice Sun Belt Board moderator Chiefsfan has sent me warnings for tearing down the Belt. In addition to the warnings he deleted my second post earlier tonight. That post basically had these non-inflammatory opinions. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that Chiefsfan is not fit to be a a moderator because he is not open to honest discourse and is culturally insensitive or worse. I would hope his temperamental decisions are not due to racism.)

Back to the topic at hand:

This would be beneficial to the Belt in several ways:
1. The Sun Belt would be a leader with this bold move.
2. Attendance would increase.
3. Better name recognition.
4. Possibly increase the Belt's TV value.

Individually, the schools have a lot to offer:

Texas Southern or Prairie View - provides the Belt access to the Houston market and ensures a presence when Texas State leaves.
Grambling - draws well on the road and is a natural rival for its UL-system sister institution ULM.
UAPB - gives the Sun Belt presence in the Little Rock/Pine Bluff market and provides ASU with a much desired rivalry with the University of Arkansas (granted, it is not the Fayetteville version, but close enough.)
Southern - fans travel very well, gets the Belt in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans markets and is a natural rival academic peer of UL-Lafayette.
Jackson State - great home attendance, provides a new state and has plans for a new domed stadium.

Other options include Alabama A&M or Alabama State (provides a rivalry for Troy), FAMU (returns the Belt to Florida), and North Carolina A&T (provides App. State with an-state rival.)

This is a winning proposition for the Belt.
04-02-2013 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
RE: OT - Sun Belt expansion
Ark St and ULL are living in a complete nightmare right now.
04-02-2013 12:10 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(04-02-2013 12:10 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Ark St and ULL are living in a complete nightmare right now.

and LaTech fans are loving it 02-13-banana
04-02-2013 12:18 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(04-02-2013 12:18 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 12:10 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Ark St and ULL are living in a complete nightmare right now.

and LaTech fans are loving it 02-13-banana

sorry but they deserve better. Both are long time FBS / D1A football members. I fully expect they'll be joining you guys before too much longer.
04-02-2013 12:26 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners

uconn and cinci feel their pain 05-stirthepot
04-02-2013 12:42 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(04-02-2013 12:42 AM)randaddyminer Wrote:  

uconn and cinci feel their pain 05-stirthepot

Can't blame them for feeling that way. Their biggest rivals left them in the dust. At least they've got FBS schools joining them.

The SBC is / will be composed of Ark St, ULL, Troy, 3 of the historically worst FBS programs in the country and a bunch of FCS schools. That's pretty awful.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 12:55 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-02-2013 12:52 AM
Advertisement

BuzDawg73 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: La Tech
Don't revel in other peoples misery. It's just mean spirited. And you should not presume to speak for all Tech fans, because there are plenty of Tech people who want to be in a conference with ULL.

As far as the original post, this is definitely some out of the box thinking. I have not heard of any of the HBU's pushing for a marriage of this nature. I think one of the biggest roadblocks would be how the HBU's are perceived academically. Whether warranted or not, for example, your comparison of ULL and Southern's academics would make the ULL folks' heads spin in circles on their shoulders. Conference schools also like to feel they are associated with like minded schools, and I am not sure that would be the case. It is certainly a thought provoking idea, but I think the Sun Belt schools would have to learn an awful lot about the schools you are suggesting, because at first glance I don't see the advantage to the conference. But, your post was for Sun Belt members so I probably should not be commenting about it.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 01:16 AM by BuzDawg73.)
04-02-2013 01:12 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(04-02-2013 12:07 AM)Bubba Bexley Wrote:  I apologize for posting this here, but the following suggestion has not been allowed on the Sun Belt Board due to a close-minded moderator. As you will read, it is not an inflamatory post unless you are opposed to thinking out of the box. Posting this here will give Sun Belt fans a chance to see the suggestion since a large number read this board. Again I apologize.

The post:

I think the Sun Belt should protect itself by inviting five HBUs: Jackson State, Southern, Grambling, UAPB and Texas Southern or Prairie View.

(Twice I have suggested the Belt invite HBUs, and twice Sun Belt Board moderator Chiefsfan has sent me warnings for tearing down the Belt. In addition to the warnings he deleted my second post earlier tonight. That post basically had these non-inflammatory opinions. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that Chiefsfan is not fit to be a a moderator because he is not open to honest discourse and is culturally insensitive or worse. I would hope his temperamental decisions are not due to racism.)

Texas Southern or Prairie View - provides the Belt access to the Houston market and ensures a presence when Texas State leaves.
Grambling - draws well on the road and is a natural rival for its UL-system sister institution ULM.
UAPB - gives the Sun Belt presence in the Little Rock/Pine Bluff market and provides ASU with a much desired rivalry with the University of Arkansas (granted, it is not the Fayetteville version, but close enough.)
Southern - fans travel very well, gets the Belt in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans markets and is a natural rival academic peer of UL-Lafayette.
Jackson State - great home attendance, provides a new state and has plans for a new domed stadium.

Other options include Alabama A&M or Alabama State (provides a rivalry for Troy), FAMU (returns the Belt to Florida), and North Carolina A&T (provides App. State with an-state rival.)

There is a Realignment Board for this...

It'll probably be moved there soon
04-02-2013 02:00 AM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(04-02-2013 12:07 AM)Bubba Bexley Wrote:  I apologize for posting this here, but the following suggestion has not been allowed on the Sun Belt Board due to a close-minded moderator. As you will read, it is not an inflamatory post unless you are opposed to thinking out of the box. Posting this here will give Sun Belt fans a chance to see the suggestion since a large number read this board. Again I apologize.

The post:

Maybe he just has a low tolerance for stupidity.
04-02-2013 04:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PureGold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
[Image: double%2Bface%2Bpalm.jpg]
04-02-2013 06:24 AM
Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
It isn't going to happen. The HBUs love/hate each other too much.

FWIW, Jackson State will get that domed stadium about 30 seconds after Southern Miss knocks off Florida in the Georgia Dome for the SEC title.
04-02-2013 06:55 AM
Advertisement

bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB

The post:

There is an expansion board
04-02-2013 07:02 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers

The post:

No HBCUs have the desire to move to FBS right now so of corse the Sun Belt wouldn’t send any invites. We (Bama State) and Jackson State have looked into moving about a year ago but there was no interest from an alumni/fan prospective. Playing Troy is all cool and good but it does not generate the interest of our fans and students as a match-up against Tennessee State or Alabama A&M.
04-02-2013 08:32 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: OT - Sun Belt expansion
(04-02-2013 08:32 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  

The post:

No HBCUs have the desire to move to FBS right now so of corse the Sun Belt wouldn’t send any invites. We (Bama State) and Jackson State have looked into moving about a year ago but there was no interest from an alumni/fan prospective. Playing Troy is all cool and good but it does not generate the interest of our fans and students as a match-up against Tennessee State or Alabama A&M.

For HBCU's it still seems to be about the experience and the rivals more than a clinical business matter. More power to them.
04-02-2013 08:54 AM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Your idea is a nonstarter on both ends. I doubt the SBC wants to expand further by bringing in a bunch of lower llevel FCS schools. All of whom have very limited resourses. At the same time I doudt any of the HBCs you mentioned have any real desire to move up and play a bunch of low level FBS schools. They cherish those rivalries too much to do so. Hell the SWAC doesn't even play in the FCS playoffs. It rather have a conference championship game and be done at Thanksgiving. Sorry Man, this idea was too far out of the box.
04-02-2013 09:15 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
I will give you credit that it is outside of the box thinking. These schools have good attendance for their classics, but culturally they do not fit with the Sun Belt schools.

Like the Ivy League, they are more interested in beating up on each other than joining the Conference realignment rat race. Breaking up those rivalries so they can play Texas State every year is not going to be a draw for their fanbase.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but don't the SWAC and MEAC schools play classics against D2 schools from the SIAC and CIAA? If so that, maintaining those would hurt the strength of schedule for all of the SBC schools.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 09:19 AM by chrisattsu.)
04-02-2013 09:18 AM
Advertisement

Journeyman22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: South Alabama
OT - Sun Belt expansion
Jackson State could fill in the footprint of the SBC, and I've stated as much without getting shut down. With a 26k per game average, they'd certainly deserve a look if they wanted in and could move their programs forward. Those are big ifs! With that said, you can't create interest in a move to FBS where there is none. And attendance isn't the only barometer for FBS success, although it's pretty important. Jackson State is a long way off, I think, so it is probably a pointless discussion
04-02-2013 09:31 AM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
SBC board isn't interested, so you bring it here? 01-wingedeagle
04-02-2013 09:50 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
One huge problem with HBCU's is their low level of competitive football in the FCS. They have great crowds and awesome bands and some superstars on the field every now and then but their history in the playoffs is a huge indication of their lack of ability to compete on a national level.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 11:53 AM by GaSouthern.)
04-02-2013 11:52 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(04-02-2013 09:18 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  I will give you credit that it is outside of the box thinking. These schools have good attendance for their classics, but culturally they do not fit with the Sun Belt schools.

Like the Ivy League, they are more interested in beating up on each other than joining the Conference realignment rat race. Breaking up those rivalries so they can play Texas State every year is not going to be a draw for their fanbase.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but don't the SWAC and MEAC schools play classics against D2 schools from the SIAC and CIAA? If so that, maintaining those would hurt the strength of schedule for all of the SBC schools.

This is right. The MEAC and the SWAC schools were mostly CIAA and SIAC schools years ago so those rivalries go back years. Norfolk State vs Virginia State, Alabama State vs Tuskegee, Alabama A&M vs Tuskegee, FAMU vs. Fort Valley State, and so forth are all big rivalry games with MEAC/SWAC teams vs SIAC/CIAA teams.
04-02-2013 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.