Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enfield soars to Southern Cal -- What's next for FGCU?
Bookmark and Share
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
Enfield soars to Southern Cal -- What's next for FGCU?
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens-coll...oops-coach

Enfield took deal to take over at Southern Cal. You can't blame him, that offer is near impossible to turn down in my opinion.

What will this do to the FGCU basketball program? Will any incoming or current players transfer? Who will they hire?

FGCU was going to be the unanimous #1 Preseason pick next year. Assuming Mercer and the rest are still in the ASUN next season, who is the #1 now?

Getting to live in Southern Cali + over 1 Million each year for 6 years = pretty sweet
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 12:03 AM by MercerFan.)
04-02-2013 12:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
RE: Enfield soars to Southern Cal -- What's next for FGCU?
Here's the FGCU President/AD press conference: http://bcove.me/4mhhposz

I swear it sounds like the President says Enfield brought a brand of "football" that was successful at 0:30 in the video.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 04:53 PM by MercerFan.)
04-02-2013 04:51 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(04-02-2013 04:51 PM)MercerFan Wrote:  Here's the FGCU President/AD press conference: http://bcove.me/4mhhposz

I swear it sounds like the President says Enfield brought a brand of "football" that was successful at 0:30 in the video.
Must be imagining how there going to need to get football to move-up.
04-02-2013 05:33 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
It appears that Enfield is taking zero of his FGCU assistants. That doesn't speak very highly of them. You would think one would be good enough. He hired a Pepperdine assistant so far.
04-09-2013 10:45 PM
Advertisement

bigguy40 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Stetson
There is more to the hiring of assistants than meets they eyes. I suspect there is a very good chance that one of them becomes the head coach at FGCU and he keeps the rest. It has been in the Ft. Myers media that players have said they will leave depending on who the new coach is. Enfield did appreciate his assistants. USC had some requirements for who he hired as assistants.
04-10-2013 04:57 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
[edit] I get the feeling FGCU is going to hire an assistant, based on $$$. I mean, we can't expect them to magically make money appear. It's just not fair to assume an assistant can do what the former head coach was doing. Could he? Maybe. Who knows. It's a big gamble. Honestly, I'm not in a position to judge the assistant. I would be furious as the AD if the players claim they won't play for a new hire. It would almost make me want to hire an outside guy.

We can assume the AD will hire, in his opinion, the BEST candidate for the job. The players then say that's unacceptable and won't play? Give me a break.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 09:00 PM by MercerFan.)
04-10-2013 08:56 PM
bigguy40 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Stetson
when ever the is a coaching change, the new coach drives the scholarships and not the players, Every year when new coaches are hired, players transfer. Some want to, some have to because the new coach will not renew them or the player doesn't fit into the new coaches "system". this is the business of the student -athlete's world. This is a business, don't forget it. We get caught up in the emotion of cheering for our team but for the coaches and the AD's, it is a money generating business. That drives all else.

But I think they hire the assistant also. If that happens than I believe the players will all stay. If they all stay, FGCU will be a very good team next year.
04-10-2013 10:37 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
I just don't know if we can say that FGCU will be a very good team without Enfield, and one of his assistants at the helm. If that's the case, then USC and all these other schools that recruited Enfield are the biggest morons in the world. How much did Enfield have to do with FGCU's success? I think A LOT.

In the tourney FGCU was playing a style that was borderline "street ball", but it worked for 2 games. It was *organized* chaos, though. Without Enfield, I think it's just chaos. Could see a lot of disorganized possessions and turnovers.

That's my opinion. Talent can only take you so far without coaching. Not to mention Sherwood Brown graduated and Varidel transferred.
04-11-2013 08:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.