Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G Overrated Again, MWC MIA
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
B1G Overrated Again, MWC MIA
Top conference this year by far? Pffft....

They still have a handful of excellent teams but the BE would beat them head to head.

MWC just be quiet...bunch of overrated RPI posers.
03-31-2013 06:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: B1G Overrated Again, MWC MIA
Actually, I think the Atlantic Sun Conference has a pretty good case for having the best tournament as a conference. Their second place team makes the Sweet Sixteen with victories over Georgetown and San Diego State. Pretty nice. Plus their regular seson champ gets a win over Tennessee in the NIT.
03-31-2013 06:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Completely disagree. A single-game elimination tournament is not nearly as accurate at determining who is the best as a 29 game season. The Big 10 was clearly the best conference during the regular season.

As a Big East fan living in the heart of Big 10 country (Lafayette, IN), I have to deal with their crap every year. This is the first year that I was forced to agree with them.
03-31-2013 06:35 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Stockholm Effect

You can't convince me they were any better...top to bottom. Sorry
03-31-2013 06:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
2 in the top 8, 4 in the top 16. Played out as predicted per the rankings. Michigan will win it all, so no worries 03-wink

As everyone said all along, there is no single or pair of dominant teams. However, I do believe that playing the Big Ten schedule (with Big Ten officiating that lets 'em play a little more) was the toughest schedule in the country.
03-31-2013 07:08 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
I'm very irritated by Indiana and Ohio State. I wouldn't call the conference overrated at all. I WOULD call them a bunch of underachievers this year. The teams weren't overrated, they were rated properly and they were that good this year but they did not play up to that level at the end of the Tournament.

Congrats to your Orangemen on beating Indiana, I think the Hoosiers were the better team but your coach is great in the Tournament and that is what generally makes the difference.

As far as the shockers beating the buckeyes, that is definitely what I am talking about. The Buckeyes definitely should not have lost that game but they have a problem with getting up for big games with "small" teams. There is no shame in Indiana's loss to Syracuse. Syracuse is a VERY strong #4. Ohio State though, they really let everyone down with that one.

I expected MSU to not get past Duke, who would? Beyond that though, the Big Ten did have a pretty good chance to completely own the Final Four. Syracuse WAS beatable for Indiana and OSU absolutely should have won that game. IF MSU could have pulled off the upset to go along with Michigan's upset, it would be an entirely different story.

So this talk over being overrated is just you homering for the Big East that you are about to leave, so congrats for being a homer for a conference that will not be the conference you are bragging about now.

Michigan could still win it all. I wouldn't put my money on them but to be honest I wouldn't have put my money on them against Kansas and they proved me wrong there. They look real good right now, they are coming together even stronger and they are not going to be a pushover for any team they face.
03-31-2013 08:09 AM
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
the B1G was the best overall conference in the regular season but just don't measure up come tourney time. it's been 12(soon to be 13) years since any team from that conference has won it all & they only have 2 titles since 1989
03-31-2013 08:43 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(03-31-2013 08:43 AM)mj4life Wrote:  the B1G was the best overall conference in the regular season but just don't measure up come tourney time. it's been 12(soon to be 13) years since any team from that conference has won it all & they only have 2 titles since 1989

Can't argue with this at all. The Big Ten's performance in the Tournament is never representative of how good their teams are. What I do think it is representative of is how good their coaching staffs are at preparing for all the different looks that teams from other areas of the country will bring.

The Big Ten has the athletes and they have the programs but come gameday I am just not liking what I am seeing from the coaching staffs.

Michigan is a wonderful surprise in that regard. That coach has his kids in the right mentality.
03-31-2013 09:03 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-31-2013 06:35 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Completely disagree. A single-game elimination tournament is not nearly as accurate at determining who is the best as a 29 game season. The Big 10 was clearly the best conference during the regular season.

As a Big East fan living in the heart of Big 10 country (Lafayette, IN), I have to deal with their crap every year. This is the first year that I was forced to agree with them.

They were the strongest from the middle through the top, but not necessarily the best conference.
03-31-2013 09:23 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(03-31-2013 06:35 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Completely disagree. A single-game elimination tournament is not nearly as accurate at determining who is the best as a 29 game season. The Big 10 was clearly the best conference during the regular season.

There wasn't really much clarity to it. The computers basically rated the B1G as the best conference by a very narrow margin. The combined total of wins and losses in the tourney are as good a tie breaker as anything.

And the main thing everyone forgets, is that the tourney is really all that matters. So saying the B1G is "best" even though the conference pooped its diaper for the most part in the tourney is like a football team saying it "won" the game because it got twice the yardage even though it had fewer points.

Basically, scoreboard.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2013 09:37 AM by JunkYardCard.)
03-31-2013 09:36 AM
nuftw Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Northwestern
In terms of out-performing seeds, the Pac-12 probably has had the best tournament. As a conference, it's hard to say that the Big East has done well, given the Georgetown debacle and three others going down in the first round even with a higher seed.

Looking at each team relative to their expected performance to their seeds, the Big East doesn't come off so well. The only way they get to even is if Louisville beats Syracuse for the title.

Big Ten
Indiana -2
Ohio State 0
*Michigan +1
Illinois 0
Wisconsin -1
Minnesota +1
Michigan State 0
-1 net with one team remaining
12-6 overall record

Big East
Georgetown -3
Notre Dame -1
Pitt -1
Cincinnati -1
Villanova 0
Marquette +1
*Syracuse +2
*Louisville -1
-4 net with 2 teams remaining
10-6 overall record

Big 12
Oklahoma State -1
Kansas State -2
Iowa State +1
Oklahoma 0
Kansas -1
net -3
3-5

Pac 12
Arizona +1
Oregon +2
UCLA -1
Colorado 0
Cal +1
net +3
6-6

MWC
Colorado State 0
New Mexico -2
UNLV -1
SDSD 0
Boise State ?
Net -3
2-5

A-10
St. Louis -1
La Salle +2
Butler 0
Temple +1
VCU ?
Net +2
7-5

ACC
*Duke 0
Miami -1
NC State -1
UNC 0
Net -2 with 1 team remaining
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2013 10:00 AM by nuftw.)
03-31-2013 09:58 AM
Advertisement

AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
either way, both conferences were downright awesome for basketball this year - B1G during the regular season, Big East during the postseason. I'm hoping for a Louisville or Syracuse championship just to see the conference go out the way it should. After the divorce, the quality will never again be as dominant as it has been again for the past decade for either the NBE or CTBA.
03-31-2013 10:01 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-31-2013 09:58 AM)nuftw Wrote:  In terms of out-performing seeds, the Pac-12 probably has had the best tournament. As a conference, it's hard to say that the Big East has done well, given the Georgetown debacle and three others going down in the first round even with a higher seed.

Looking at each team relative to their expected performance to their seeds, the Big East doesn't come off so well. The only way they get to even is if Louisville beats Syracuse for the title.

Big Ten
Indiana -2
Ohio State 0
*Michigan +1
Illinois 0
Wisconsin -1
Minnesota +1
Michigan State 0
12-6 overall record

Big East
Georgetown -3
Notre Dame -1
Pitt -1
Cincinnati -1
Villanova 0
Marquette +1
*Syracuse +2
*Louisville -1
10-6 overall record

Big 12
Oklahoma State -1
Kansas State -2
Iowa State +1
Oklahoma 0
Kansas -1
net -3
3-5

Pac 12
Arizona +1
Oregon +2
UCLA -1
Colorado 0
Cal +1
net +3
6-6

MWC
Colorado State 0
New Mexico -2
UNLV -1
SDSD 0
Boise State ?
Net -3
2-5

A-10
St. Louis -1
La Salle +2
Butler 0
Temple +1
VCU ?
Net +2
7-5

ACC
*Duke 0
Miami -1
NC State -1
UNC 0

Why did you omit the SEC?
03-31-2013 10:25 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(03-31-2013 06:47 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Stockholm Effect

How is it a Stockholm Effect to disagree with people 9 out of 10 times?

There were many years when the Big East was clearly the best but only got 2 teams in the Elite 8. Didn't change the fact that we were still the best that year.

This year the Big 10 was 10-3 in the first two rounds and the Big East was 6-5. And you're calling this proof that the Big 10 is overrated compared to the Big East. If that's overrated, then you must have thought they were gods before the tournament started.
03-31-2013 11:58 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-31-2013 11:58 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(03-31-2013 06:47 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Stockholm Effect

How is it a Stockholm Effect to disagree with people 9 out of 10 times?

There were many years when the Big East was clearly the best but only got 2 teams in the Elite 8. Didn't change the fact that we were still the best that year.

This year the Big 10 was 10-3 in the first two rounds and the Big East was 6-5. And you're calling this proof that the Big 10 is overrated compared to the Big East. If that's overrated, then you must have thought they were gods before the tournament started.

Big 10 was the best overall conference this year...But it was not by much. Big East had another big time year for its finale as we know it. People acted like the Big 10 was heads and shoulders above everyone else this year. Not the case.
03-31-2013 12:01 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
(03-31-2013 08:09 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I'm very irritated by Indiana and Ohio State.

Me too. I had those two in the Championship.

I'm a friggn B1G Ten homer . . . my downfall every year.

Damnit.
03-31-2013 12:03 PM
Advertisement

dalbc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC & LBSU
(03-31-2013 09:58 AM)nuftw Wrote:  In terms of out-performing seeds, the Pac-12 probably has had the best tournament. As a conference, it's hard to say that the Big East has done well, given the Georgetown debacle and three others going down in the first round even with a higher seed.

Big Ten
Indiana -2
Ohio State 0
*Michigan +1
Illinois 0
Wisconsin -1
Minnesota +1
Michigan State 0
12-6 overall record

Big East
Georgetown -3
Notre Dame -1
Pitt -1
Cincinnati -1
Villanova 0
Marquette +1
*Syracuse +2
*Louisville -1
10-6 overall record

Big 12
Oklahoma State -1
Kansas State -2
Iowa State +1
Oklahoma 0
Kansas -1
net -3
3-5

Pac 12
Arizona +1
Oregon +2
UCLA -1
Colorado 0
Cal +1
net +3
6-6

MWC
Colorado State 0
New Mexico -2
UNLV -1
SDSD 0
Boise State ?
Net -3
2-5

A-10
St. Louis -1
La Salle +2
Butler 0
Temple +1
VCU ?
Net +2
7-5

ACC
*Duke 0
Miami -1
NC State -1
UNC 0

I only glanced at a few of these, but if I'm reading the analysis correctly Cincinnati is a "0" not a "-1". They were a 10 seed that lost, as expected, to a 7 seed.

If 2013 were a one-year anomaly for the Big 10, maybe their so-so performance in this year's tournament would be understandable. But frankly, the conference remains overrated.

Until the Big 10 conference performs in a manner consistent with its mostly self-proclaimed hype where it matters ... on the court (and football field for that matter) ... non-Big 10 fans will continue to appropriately view the league as generally mediocre.
03-31-2013 12:27 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Big Ten had an outstanding year and is looking like Michigan will represent them in the Final Four. They had 4 teams in the Sweet 16 so I wouldn't call that being overrated.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2013 02:02 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
03-31-2013 02:01 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Really need to wait until the final four is decided before inter-conference gloating can begin. It could be two Big East and no Big Ten teams, it could be one of each.
03-31-2013 02:15 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
Does anyone else find it funny that a Northwestern fan is posting about the NCAA tourney? 03-lmfao
03-31-2013 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.