Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Objectivity, Something Rare on this Board
Bookmark and Share
Campaign4Liberty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Neil Young
Objectivity, Something Rare on this Board
On Monday afternoon in Kentucky, Liberty's women's tennis team defeated WKU in a shutout, 5-0.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?...&TeamID=13

"But no one cares about women's tennis!!!" says the Sunbelt peanut gallery. Sure, I agree with you, no one cares about women's tennis in the large scheme of conference realignment, but as a purely objective example of competitiveness and athletic fit, one can argue we have a better women's tennis program than WKU...

Objectivity....one would think a group of fans from these prestigious Sun Belt research universities would show a bit more of it...isn't that what big state school research factories are supposed to teach? I keep hearing "Liberty is not a good fit athletically for the Sun Belt" with purely subjective arguments to back it up. Also note there are more sports out there than football/basketball, believe it or not.
03-12-2013 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Objectivity, Something Rare on this Board
Nobody cares about women's tennis.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 09:15 AM by Niner National.)
03-12-2013 09:09 AM
Captainplanet Offline
Banned

I Root For: The planet
Are you really trying to use womens tennis to show your value to the belt?
03-12-2013 09:11 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Congratulations, Liberty women, but that doesn't get LU into the SBC. Just saying.
03-12-2013 09:11 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
Liberty is already being brought up in conference talks by the presidents according to many sources, no reason to pimp ladies tennis on the SBC forum.
03-12-2013 09:17 AM
slappycajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL
If we are going by women's sports than our softball team should have had us in the SEC years ago.
03-12-2013 09:18 AM
Advertisement

Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
(03-12-2013 09:07 AM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  I keep hearing "Liberty is not a good fit athletically for the Sun Belt" with purely subjective arguments to back it up.

No, you really don't keep hearing that as the Sun Belt is by no means an athletic powerhouse. The objections are cultural, so no call for objectivity is ever going to matter.
03-12-2013 09:20 AM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(03-12-2013 09:07 AM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  On Monday afternoon in Kentucky, Liberty's women's tennis team defeated WKU in a shutout, 5-0.

"But no one cares about women's tennis!!!" says the Sunbelt peanut gallery. Sure, I agree with you, no one cares about women's tennis in the large scheme of conference realignment, but as a purely objective example of competitiveness and athletic fit, one can argue we have a better women's tennis program than WKU...

Objectivity....one would think a group of fans from these prestigious Sun Belt research universities would show a bit more of it...isn't that what big state school research factories are supposed to teach? I keep hearing "Liberty is not a good fit athletically for the Sun Belt" with purely subjective arguments to back it up. Also note there are more sports out there than football/basketball, believe it or not.

You are a very biased person, obviously.
03-12-2013 09:21 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(03-12-2013 09:07 AM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  Also note there are more sports out there than football/basketball, believe it or not.

I, and many others but not all, have a vested in football. You bring nothing to the table for me personally so I'm not going to support you. Basketball and Baseball carry some weight too, but not as much as football, and the rest don't combine to have as much weight as any in The Big 3 (The Big 4 for some with WBB, I don't get it but I'll respect it).

The conference heads don't look at it the same as I do, so you might have an in. With them it's all about money, not always whether you're a winning program. Georgia State is a prime example. Big market, terrible football.

But I personally don't want Liberty in the SBC and it has nothing to do with cultural or religious differences. Couldn't care less.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 09:28 AM by TroyFootball05.)
03-12-2013 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
(03-12-2013 09:07 AM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  On Monday afternoon in Kentucky, Liberty's women's tennis team defeated WKU in a shutout, 5-0.

I personally don't see the big deal about Liberty. I think they're probably a better fit for the SBC then Georgia Southern (SB already has GA State).

I don't understand the argument against it being a religious school. Who cares. It's not like you have to convert to attend a game there. As an athiest, they're no whackier than BYU or Notre Dame or TCU or any # of church-affliated colleges. Not trying to start a war here, just want to point out that one man's religion is another man's wierd cult, and vice-versa.

Plus, it gets the SBC into Virginia - which expands the footprint and adds potentially several million TV sets. Georgia Southern adds nothing.

I drove through the Lynchburg area, it's a beautiful area and not that hard to get to. (not any harder to get to than Statesboro or Boone, or Monroe or Troy for that matter).

I'd go AppSt and Liberty if I was Benson.
03-12-2013 09:22 AM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

In fact, based on your op you don't even understand what objectivity is...
03-12-2013 09:23 AM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
I live an hour from Liberty so I'm somewhat familiar with it and feel like I can be somewhat objective. Athletically Ithink Liberty could compete in the Sun Belt. They would obviously have some catching up to do on the football field, they're not as good now as ASU, GSU or JMU but not altogether bad. If they had been able to keep Rocco last year I think theey could have been a playoff team. What they do have is deep pockets and a desire to invest in athletics so that ground, I feel, could be made up quicker than some.

The question is more of an institutional fit both being a private school and being politically controversial. Not to mention it's not exactly in the footprint of the Belt. From a purely selfish standpoint I'd rather JMU be the 4th VA FBS school and stop there but I'm not sure Liberty will be thwarted in the long run.
03-12-2013 09:23 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
I did not even know we had a tennis team...Must be a club sport and not NCAA....Crap does this count IN bodas cup standing?
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 09:26 AM by WKUFan518.)
03-12-2013 09:25 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
Objectively. Liberty is never getting into the SBC with its current membership configuration.
03-12-2013 09:27 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(03-12-2013 09:22 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  I don't understand the argument against it being a religious school. Who cares. It's not like you have to convert to attend a game there. As an athiest, they're no whackier than BYU or Notre Dame or TCU or any # of church-affliated colleges. Not trying to start a war here, just want to point out that one man's religion is another man's wierd cult, and vice-versa.

My point exactly, +2.
03-12-2013 09:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
(03-12-2013 09:17 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  Liberty is already being brought up in conference talks by the presidents according to many sources, no reason to pimp ladies tennis on the SBC forum.

Can you site these sources so I can see them? Tired of hearing that "there is no smoke".
03-12-2013 09:44 AM
Advertisement

knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
(03-12-2013 09:22 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  

I personally don't see the big deal about Liberty. I think they're probably a better fit for the SBC then Georgia Southern (SB already has GA State).

I don't understand the argument against it being a religious school. Who cares. It's not like you have to convert to attend a game there. As an athiest, they're no whackier than BYU or Notre Dame or TCU or any # of church-affliated colleges. Not trying to start a war here, just want to point out that one man's religion is another man's wierd cult, and vice-versa.

Plus, it gets the SBC into Virginia - which expands the footprint and adds potentially several million TV sets. Georgia Southern adds nothing.

I drove through the Lynchburg area, it's a beautiful area and not that hard to get to. (not any harder to get to than Statesboro or Boone, or Monroe or Troy for that matter).

Thanks for the time to think this through and not just rule LU out because of religious or political stances. There is soooo much more to Liberty!
03-12-2013 09:47 AM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

(03-12-2013 09:47 AM)knucklehead Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 09:22 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  

Thanks for the time to think this through and not just rule LU out because of religious or political stances. There is soooo much more to Liberty!

Translation: thank you for agreeing completely with my main desire for my school's football team!
03-12-2013 09:49 AM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
So if our men's tennis team beats Vanderbilt, does that mean we get into the SEC?!
03-12-2013 09:50 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(03-12-2013 09:50 AM)galojah Wrote:  So if our men's tennis team beats Vanderbilt, does that mean we get into the SEC?!

03-idea
03-12-2013 09:51 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.