Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top Overall Replacement Schools for A-12???
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Top Overall Replacement Schools for A-12???
1) Tulsa (Probably locked in as is)
2) UMass
3) USM
4) NIU
5) Buffalo
6) Ohio
7) FIU
8) Marshall

What are your best available? Obviously some are situational selections, ie) UMass for UConn. FIU/FAU for USF/UCF, etc. But as overall selections, which top the list for you? Could be anywhere in the country if you want, they just have to be available to today.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 02:55 PM by RUScarlets.)
03-08-2013 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Top Overall Replacement Schools for A-12???
I'd say in 2-3 years you can put ODU and UTSA on this list. I think a sleeper long term is Georgia State.
03-08-2013 03:05 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
If we needed schools that sponsor football, and assuming Tulsa already has an invite in hand, I would have to rate them as follows:

1. Southern Miss
2. Old Dominion
3. UMass
4. Ohio
5. Marshall

I feel like my top two candidates are much stronger than any other candidate out there. If the A12/Metro can avoid defections for 5 years, I think the list of strong candidates should grow. By then, UMass football should have grown, UNC-Charlotte football should have a few seasons under its belt, teams like Middle Tennessee and UTSA will have grown in CUSA, and certain FCS schools could be good adds if they have made the move to FBS.
03-08-2013 05:17 PM
ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
Yeah, have to toot our horn here. Had we started out with more wins and hence, more fan support, you guys would be seeing our name pop up a lot more. If our lovely AD can get our facilities on track and our new coach can actually coach this ship will move up in a hurry.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 05:24 PM by ChooChoo.)
03-08-2013 05:23 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

Top tier (available now):

Tulsa
USM

Consider:

Marshall
Rice
FIU/FAU (if and only if USF/UCF leave)

Long term projects (look at in 3-5 years IF they grow exponentially):

UTSA
ODU
Charlotte
Georgia State

That's plenty of candidates available.
03-08-2013 05:35 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2013 05:23 PM)ChooChoo Wrote:  Yeah, have to toot our horn here. Had we started out with more wins and hence, more fan support, you guys would be seeing our name pop up a lot more. If our lovely AD can get our facilities on track and our new coach can actually coach this ship will move up in a hurry.

Not to worry. I believe that if you guys start winning/drawing fans, you will move up most expansion lists fast. If not BE/A12, then at least CUSA.
03-08-2013 05:36 PM
Advertisement

Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I would assume that Tulsa is already in the new conference and that their inclusion will be announced shortly.

If schools leave, I would assume that we would look in the market we are losing first. For Cinci, Ohio would be a solid choice. If it's one of the Florida schools, I would prefer that we go west for USM. For UConn or Temple, we should look at UMass.

I agree that ODU and UTSA will be top choices in the future, although I could see the MWC scooping up both UTSA and UTEP in the long term. ODU, in particular, is a very good option for the future and I would not count out Charlotte.

Truthfully, I do not feel that much more is going to happen realignment-wise in the near future... but I've been wrong before. All eyes are on the B10 and the ACC at the moment.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 06:35 PM by Ned Low.)
03-08-2013 05:37 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2013 05:17 PM)BullsFanatic Wrote:  If we needed schools that sponsor football, and assuming Tulsa already has an invite in hand, I would have to rate them as follows:

1. Southern Miss
2. Old Dominion
3. UMass
4. Ohio
5. Marshall

I feel like my top two candidates are much stronger than any other candidate out there. If the A12/Metro can avoid defections for 5 years, I think the list of strong candidates should grow. By then, UMass football should have grown, UNC-Charlotte football should have a few seasons under its belt, teams like Middle Tennessee and UTSA will have grown in CUSA, and certain FCS schools could be good adds if they have made the move to FBS.

Why do you rate UMass ahead of UTSA.

UMass - pitiful attendance
UTSA - 35K attendance average, semi rabid fan base
UMass - small market/poor stadium
UTSA - Large market/great stadium
UMass - No recruits
UTSA - boatloads of recruits within a car trip of SA
UTSA - No competition in market other than Spurs
03-08-2013 05:40 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
Old Dominion should be near the top of the list right now. People need to drop the snobby attitude about them being new to FBS. It is obvious that they are going to be a great FBS program. The school is also in the right travel and recruiting area for what the conference will need going forward.
03-08-2013 06:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-08-2013 06:00 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Old Dominion should be near the top of the list right now. People need to drop the snobby attitude about them being new to FBS. It is obvious that they are going to be a great FBS program. The school is also in the right travel and recruiting area for what the conference will need going forward.

That's crazy talk. S Miss is way way way ahead of Old Dominion. OD has potential, but there are plenty of schools way ahead of them in line.
03-08-2013 06:06 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
USM and Tulsa all sports.
03-08-2013 06:42 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

(03-08-2013 06:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 06:00 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Old Dominion should be near the top of the list right now. People need to drop the snobby attitude about them being new to FBS. It is obvious that they are going to be a great FBS program. The school is also in the right travel and recruiting area for what the conference will need going forward.

That's crazy talk. S Miss is way way way ahead of Old Dominion. OD has potential, but there are plenty of schools way ahead of them in line.

I figured there would be plenty of schools ahead of Old Dominion, as well, until I took a quick look at the candidates out there and how they measure up.

Some quick statistics on Old Dominion:
2012 Football Attendance - 20,037
2012 Basketball Attendance - 7,142 (73rd in nation)
2011-2012 Director's Cup Ranking - 79th in nation
4 NCAA Basketball bids in previous 8 seasons
#43 TV market (Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News)

Southern Miss has better name recognition, proven football success, and rivalries with current members, so I would choose them first, but I could not find a better second choice than ODU.
03-08-2013 07:01 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

(03-08-2013 05:40 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 05:17 PM)BullsFanatic Wrote:  If we needed schools that sponsor football, and assuming Tulsa already has an invite in hand, I would have to rate them as follows:

1. Southern Miss
2. Old Dominion
3. UMass
4. Ohio
5. Marshall

Why do you rate UMass ahead of UTSA.

UMass - pitiful attendance
UTSA - 35K attendance average, semi rabid fan base
UMass - small market/poor stadium
UTSA - Large market/great stadium
UMass - No recruits
UTSA - boatloads of recruits within a car trip of SA
UTSA - No competition in market other than Spurs

UMass has national name recognition, a better basketball program than UTSA, and potential for rivalries with UConn and Temple. I do not feel that UMass is a great choice, and it would not surprise me if UTSA surpasses them within 5 years.
03-08-2013 07:11 PM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(03-08-2013 07:01 PM)BullsFanatic Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 06:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I figured there would be plenty of schools ahead of Old Dominion, as well, until I took a quick look at the candidates out there and how they measure up.

Some quick statistics on Old Dominion:
2012 Football Attendance - 20,037
2012 Basketball Attendance - 7,142 (73rd in nation)
2011-2012 Director's Cup Ranking - 79th in nation
4 NCAA Basketball bids in previous 8 seasons
#43 TV market (Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News)

Southern Miss has better name recognition, proven football success, and rivalries with current members, so I would choose them first, but I could not find a better second choice than ODU.

It's also important to know that we (ODU) have sold out all our home (football) games for the last four seasons and have a wait list of I think 12-15K tickets, I'm sure someone can be more precise. Two things to note with that, first of all that was at the FCS level so one could see even more people wanting to come to games at FBS level. Secondly, you can turn that around and say that if the program wasn't as successful as it was in the FCS then maybe fewer people will come and watch. Either way I can't wait for June-July to see what they will do to the stadium.

I agree with you though, Southern Miss have all those things over ODU and I really look forward to being in the same conference as them because of all the positives!
03-08-2013 07:20 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-08-2013 03:05 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I'd say in 2-3 years you can put ODU and UTSA on this list. I think a sleeper long term is Georgia State.

They don't seem to have a fan base...UTSA has been able to get 30000 in seats.
03-08-2013 07:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
guess yall don't want LaTech
03-08-2013 07:26 PM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(03-08-2013 07:26 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  guess yall don't want LaTech

You would probably be in the top 5 04-cheers
03-08-2013 11:07 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(03-08-2013 02:50 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  1) Tulsa (Probably locked in as is)
2) UMass
3) USM
4) NIU
5) Buffalo
6) Ohio
7) FIU
8) Marshall

What are your best available? Obviously some are situational selections, ie) UMass for UConn. FIU/FAU for USF/UCF, etc. But as overall selections, which top the list for you? Could be anywhere in the country if you want, they just have to be available to today.

NIU and Ohio aren't going to leave the MAC

I'd love to see Marshall go but I don't think that will happen.
03-08-2013 11:20 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2013 07:26 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  guess yall don't want LaTech

I like La Tech. Unfortunately, you're not in a large market, and whoever is making the decisions thinks that is important. Loved your offense last year. I hope Holtz doesn't mess it up like he did to USF.
03-08-2013 11:47 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Alaska Fairbanks
Amarillo A&M
Biloxi State
Albany Tech
Florida Everglades State - Key West

Man the media markets on these bad boys are out of this world!!
03-08-2013 11:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.