UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Barons Baseball
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
OT: Barons Baseball
Tried to buy individual game tickets for opening day of the new stadium yesterday. Person I called that works for Barons told me they were sold out, would have to either buy season tickets or purchase a special package for a select number of home games on the calendar. I ain't mad at them, thought I was picking the right time to get them with more than a month before their home opener. But I was wrong. Tickets are reasonably priced, highest price I saw listed for a ticket: $14...Not bad at all. Looks as if for the first month of the season, if the not the season as a whole, Barons Baseball is going to be welcomed with open arms and large crowds. I really, really want to be there for the very first game played there...Hope springs eternal...Weather's been a hindrance to the construction efforts, though. Can't help but wonder if they're going to be able to finish the place in time for April 10?

Good luck, Barons. Glad to have you back in Birmingham...Anyone else plan(nned) on going? Got any "grapevine" to share here?
02-26-2013 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: OT: Barons Baseball
I'll be going.... maybe not open day, maybe not opening week, but I'll go

anyone done any research on parking? What are the plans from the city?
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 06:14 PM by Dracorex.)
02-26-2013 06:13 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2013 06:13 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  I'll be going.... maybe not open day, maybe not opening week, but I'll go

anyone done any research on parking? What are the plans from the city?

Only thing I've heard or read about the city's plan for dealing with parking is that they will utilize the Children's Hospital Parking Deck, maybe VA's as well.

It's going to be a real fustercluck around rush hour time. I am hoping to get a ticket and get there in the late afternoon/early evening, and just go in, tour the new stadium, buy a hot dog and a beer, take my seat, and enjoy the moment...
02-26-2013 06:48 PM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

(02-26-2013 06:01 PM)Matrix Wrote:  Tried to buy individual game tickets for opening day of the new stadium yesterday. Person I called that works for Barons told me they were sold out, would have to either buy season tickets or purchase a special package for a select number of home games on the calendar. I ain't mad at them, thought I was picking the right time to get them with more than a month before their home opener. But I was wrong. Tickets are reasonably priced, highest price I saw listed for a ticket: $14...Not bad at all. Looks as if for the first month of the season, if the not the season as a whole, Barons Baseball is going to be welcomed with open arms and large crowds. I really, really want to be there for the very first game played there...Hope springs eternal...Weather's been a hindrance to the construction efforts, though. Can't help but wonder if they're going to be able to finish the place in time for April 10?

Good luck, Barons. Glad to have you back in Birmingham...Anyone else plan(nned) on going? Got any "grapevine" to share here?

My shop is a block away. I drive by every morning with the same concerns as you. Hope they make it!
02-26-2013 08:02 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I won't make it for opening day, but I will definitely get to some games.

All the 'burbanites who thought nobody'd go downtown to watch baseball are wrong. Frankly, I hated hauling myself all the way the hell out to the Met for games. This is a significant improvement, at least to me.
02-26-2013 08:52 PM
blazertke Offline
1st String

The downtown ballpark will be a much better atmosphere than the met. I hated driving all the way out there as well. I may make it to a game this season, who knows. Here in Chatt the minor league stadium is downtown by the aquarium and walking distance from my apt so I'll for sure be going to some games there.
02-26-2013 08:54 PM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I've got my ticket for the opening game! Probably will use my UAB parking pass and park in the lot by Bartow and walk the 4 blocks from there.
02-26-2013 10:00 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I may make a few games with dad. It probably won't be prior to late June though.
02-26-2013 10:12 PM
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
I'll be there for opening night! I barely got tickets though... had to get them in the outfield seats.
02-26-2013 10:31 PM
jayblazer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB, Tennessee
I bought tickets the weekend that they went on sale and almost all of the good seats for opening night were already gone. But I got em' and I'll be there! I am very excited and I think that this will be a great experience for fans and great for downtown Birmingham. I live downtown and I think that downtown bham has a well-earned bad reputation but I feel that things really are changing for the better.

I do, however, have my doubts about the April 10th deadline. That stadium sure looks like a lot still needs to be done.
02-26-2013 11:34 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
I just flew over on my way out of Bham this morning. The outline of the diamond was down, and it looked like the base paths may have had dirt down...but there was not a scrap of turf to be seen. I bet there will be some strange hops the first month or two.

On a side note, when will we be moving games over there? And will all games be played there? New facilities combined with a team that doesn't absolutely suck will provide interest in our baseball program.
02-27-2013 07:38 AM
Advertisement

mrchance33 Online
1st String

You can like the Baron's baseball page on facebook and they give almost daily picture updates of the stadium. Looks like right now their working on putting up the seats.
02-27-2013 09:30 AM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(02-26-2013 08:52 PM)Smaug Wrote:  I won't make it for opening day, but I will definitely get to some games.

All the 'burbanites who thought nobody'd go downtown to watch baseball are wrong. Frankly, I hated hauling myself all the way the hell out to the Met for games. This is a significant improvement, at least to me.

I loved games at Rickwood, hated games at the Met. Hoover Met is too "cold." I hope the new stadium will have more of the personality of Rickwood.
02-27-2013 10:21 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2013 08:52 PM)Smaug Wrote:  I won't make it for opening day, but I will definitely get to some games.

I live about 4 or 5 miles from the Hoover Met, but it was such a dismal, lackluster atmosphere for Barons games there. Not saying the stadium isn't nice, it is, but the fan base out in the Hoover area (the "burbanites" as you call them03-lmfao) didn't come out and see them play, I can honestly say that UAB at Young Memorial Field outdrew the Barons on average at the Hoover Met, at least when I was on hand for any games.

I'm with you, this is a big time achievment, and if the Barons come out of the gate contending, that will really raise the life force. Now if we could just get that damn football stadium....
02-27-2013 11:48 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I have yet to have the pleasure of experience a "Rickwood Classic" game, when I do, I will be dressed for the occasion. Wonder what the Barons all-time W-L record is in the Classic since their move to Hoover way back when?
02-27-2013 11:50 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(02-27-2013 07:38 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  I just flew over on my way out of Bham this morning. The outline of the diamond was down, and it looked like the base paths may have had dirt down...but there was not a scrap of turf to be seen. I bet there will be some strange hops the first month or two.

On a side note, when will we be moving games over there? And will all games be played there? New facilities combined with a team that doesn't absolutely suck will provide interest in our baseball program.

My guess would be that it will not happen this year, but some games like the Alabama game will be moved there next year.

I don't think things will be ready by the time we play them this year, but I may be wrong.

In regards to playing all games there, I don't believe that will happen either unless a lot of interest in the program starts. Also, if a new field is built at UAB, then I imagine games will be played there in the interim period.
02-27-2013 11:59 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(02-27-2013 11:50 AM)Matrix Wrote:  I have yet to have the pleasure of experience a "Rickwood Classic" game, when I do, I will be dressed for the occasion. Wonder what the Barons all-time W-L record is in the Classic since their move to Hoover way back when?

Just a guess, but I believe it is about even. No big advantage for either team to play there.
02-27-2013 11:59 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(02-27-2013 11:50 AM)Matrix Wrote:  I have yet to have the pleasure of experience a "Rickwood Classic" game, when I do, I will be dressed for the occasion. Wonder what the Barons all-time W-L record is in the Classic since their move to Hoover way back when?

It's well worth the effort. It's May 29th this year.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 12:24 PM by KevMo4UAB.)
02-27-2013 12:21 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I might even attend a game or two now that it is downtown. I have a hard time getting excited about minor league baseball but that's just me. I had no desire to go to the met. I hate that we even play a game there.
02-27-2013 05:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I loved the Barons at the Met when it was Clarkson running them as they had good teams & name players going through the Southern League at that time, not so much nowdays. I was easy for me to go to many of the games as I worked at the Galleria at that time so could just hop down the road afterwards if I got off early or catch the late innings free if I was working late. I still think they'll have a hard time getting things fully ready for opening day. I may go to a game or 2 after the initial rush just to see the new stadium but I just don't have the desire to see much of the SL these days as I think it's a shadow of it's former glory of being a quick step from the majors.
02-27-2013 07:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.