Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Basketball as your Home Conference"
Bookmark and Share
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
"Basketball as your Home Conference"
Throughout a lot of threads on here, people bring up having a national basketball conference, adding the likes of Gonzaga, St Mary's, BYU, etc. But it is always denied because there is supposedly a NCAA rule that says the basketball conference a school belongs in is its home conference, where all other sports have to be.

I have been confused with this because a ton of schools have affiliate memberships for various minor sports (lax, rowing, etc.).

Can anyone clarify or point me to this NCAA rule?
02-19-2013 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: "Basketball as your Home Conference"
I can't find it with google, but I think it also has something to do with NCAA governance being by conference. Since the voting and representation are by conference, they have to have one "fixed point" to determine what conference to count you in, and it's apparently men's basketball. (Not sure what happens if a school doesn't want to sponsor men's hoops.)
02-19-2013 12:06 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Here is a link to the NCAA Division 1 Manual. You can download the pdf version for free.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4284-2...aug-1.aspx

I believe the relevant rules are as follows:

20.02.5 Multisport Conference. A Division I multisport conference shall satisfy the requirements of this section.
20.02.5.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division I members. The member conference shall include at least seven active Division I members that sponsor both men’s and women’s basketball.

I believe that this language implies that a school cannot be a full member of a conference unless it plays men's and women's basketball in the conference since a conference could not count such a school as a member for purposes of meeting its membership requirement. This does not mean that a particular school can't be an independent that plays basketball in a conference as an associate member or that plays any other sport in a conference as an associate member. It is also possible that by playing men's and women's basketball in the C7, a school like Gonzaga could be a member of the C7, but could play many or all of its other sports as an associate member in another conference.

Keep in mind that many sports have no conference regular season, such as track, cross country, tennis, and golf. Gonzaga could easily participate in C7 championship events in this sport as they require a single road trip (with no required return road trip by other C7 members). Only team sports require multiple trips. Looking at Gonzaga's website, this would implicate only baseball, men's and women's soccer, and women's volleyball. Gonzaga may be able to place these in the WAC, for instance, on an associate member basis.

Having thought about it more in researching this post, Gonzaga suddenly seems like a more viable candidate.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 01:16 PM by orangefan.)
02-19-2013 12:25 PM
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
Thanks guys. I've always been confused about that.

As you said orangefan, I do think Gonzaga is certainly viable if what you laid out is correct.
02-19-2013 01:07 PM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(02-19-2013 01:07 PM)bmorex Wrote:  Thanks guys. I've always been confused about that.

As you said orangefan, I do think Gonzaga is certainly viable if what you laid out is correct.

I see the principal obstacle to Gonzaga being considered to be concern over the ability to play midweek games in Spokane.
02-20-2013 09:20 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(02-20-2013 09:20 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 01:07 PM)bmorex Wrote:  Thanks guys. I've always been confused about that.

I see the principal obstacle to Gonzaga being considered to be concern over the ability to play midweek games in Spokane.
Seems like that would be a fairly big obstacle, IMHO.

Not a 100% deal-breaker for the C7 but definitely a major cause of concern.
02-20-2013 04:12 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
(02-20-2013 04:12 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 09:20 AM)orangefan Wrote:  

Seems like that would be a fairly big obstacle, IMHO.

Not a 100% deal-breaker for the C7 but definitely a major cause of concern.
It wouldn't so much be a deal breaker for the C7 as it would be for Gonzaga. Every away game being a 10+ hour round-trip flight (assumes no weather or other dealys) would put them at a HUGE disadvantage.
02-20-2013 04:27 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
The idea of Gonzaga joining the C7 has always seemed unlikely to me
("always" = last 10 weeks)
02-20-2013 06:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.