ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Competition for the Tides?
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Competition for the Tides?
Does the Southside have enough fans for two minor league teams? Guess we'll find out:
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/...m-revealed
02-05-2013 11:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

devyanks90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: Competition for the Tides?
Tides will survive this. The Atlantic League mentioned is not an affiliated league (no ties to MLB) and the quality of play is way lower than AAA.

If the Tides were A or AA then maybe there would be a battle. Now depending on stadium location and ticket prices they may survive (operating costs are pretty low). The league has a team in Camden... (nice stadium, bad city)

Also for what it's worth, the Atlantic has been trying to put a team in NoVA for a couple of years now but can't get a stadium built.
02-06-2013 03:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
finalcloud Offline
2nd String

My first thought is that is might be a good thing. A good cheap entertainment value.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 06:40 AM by finalcloud.)
02-06-2013 06:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

No chance I will stop watching the tides for crappy unaffiliated a league ball.

Now that the Tides are the AAA farm team of the Orioles, I have been attending far more Tides games.

Don't like this idea......at all.
02-06-2013 08:18 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I was just saying that because the families from Va Beach might not be as willing to drive to Norfolk if they have another option down the street. I know the product isn't as good, but they could provide a comparable (or even better) game environment.

I'll still be walking to the Tide to go watch the Tides.
02-06-2013 10:42 AM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

(02-06-2013 03:17 AM)devyanks90 Wrote:  Tides will survive this. The Atlantic League mentioned is not an affiliated league (no ties to MLB) and the quality of play is way lower than AAA.

If the Tides were A or AA then maybe there would be a battle. Now depending on stadium location and ticket prices they may survive (operating costs are pretty low). The league has a team in Camden... (nice stadium, bad city)

Also for what it's worth, the Atlantic has been trying to put a team in NoVA for a couple of years now but can't get a stadium built.

I was wondering what league the Loudoun Hounds were gonna be playing in.
02-06-2013 01:00 PM
ODUsmitty Online
Heisman

My nephew played a summer with the "Green Bay Billies" in Wisconsin. Got paid a mimimal wage as a kind of single A team, bit had a great experience. Got to see him play when on business in Naperville, IL and drove up when had an extra dayto spare.

The stadium in Green Bay had $1 beers and $1 hot dogs run by the team owner and his immediate family. While an ODU BB game has its focus on the product on the floor, a low-level summertime baseball league can be more about a relaxing and enjoyable experience. This team can find a niche in the local market, but must market itself as a family-friendly and relatively cheap alternative to the Tides and other distractions during the season. I wish them luck.
02-06-2013 11:16 PM
UDO Offline
2nd String

(02-06-2013 03:17 AM)devyanks90 Wrote:  Tides will survive this. The Atlantic League mentioned is not an affiliated league (no ties to MLB) and the quality of play is way lower than AAA.

I think the team in Ashburn is closer to being finalized since the owners are bringing a soccer team (NASL) to the area next year and hope to build one stadium that both can play in once they get past the opposition to the project.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 08:44 AM by UDO.)
02-07-2013 08:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.