Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What does the future hold?
Bookmark and Share
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
What does the future hold?
Can next season be salvagable? Or maybe more importantly, what if we could start rebuilding next season and be very competitive the following year? Would you be happy?

Let's play what if?

If Skip Prosser is the next head coach of UC (for hypothetical reasons go along with it)...........do coaches like Skip have uncommitted recruits in their back pocket and would he bring them to UC. The other obstacle would be retaining the players that should still be here next year - Downey, Herrera, McGowan, Tilford, Allen. And do you see Connor Barwin playing b-ball next year?

If Skip (just play along) is the next head coach, retains all these players, and brings in say 3 recruits in the Spring............you still have freshmen and sophomores playing all the minutes for UC. And it depends on the quality of recruits he could bring in. But that would still give him 5 to 8 scholarships for the following year.

If this scenario played out, he brought in some recruits in the spring and retained all these players, and was on line to have a superb 2007 recruiting class...........WOULD YOU BE HAPPY?

Even forget Prosser........just say any coach. What if any coach could come in and accomplish the above.........would you be happy?

I would. That's all you can ask. Right now we're looking at bad times until we know who the next coach is and how fast they can refill this roster.

01-20-2006 03:51 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people

Chatter- I know you love to fantasize all the possibilities and in a way it helps to take away some of the painful reality the future holds, but and predictions are pointless at this point. Because if anything this sorry situation has taught us is that logic has no role in the outcome. Nancy and Company have done the illogical and wrong thing at every turn. There is no telling what is going to ultimately happen. Hell, Pat Summit may be just as likely as Skip Prosser. It is almost like the bizzaro world of the superfriends. Probably the best way to predict the future is to think of the logical outcome and then predict the exact opposite: Here is an example- Logical choice: Nancy hires the Chaucer quoting Prosser, he gets us two recruits he was considering at Wake, he keeps Herrera but not Downey and gets a couple Jucos. We struggle to a 6-23 record.
Bizarro choice: Skip gets called up to duty in the Merchant Marine, Nancy hires Pat Summit but then it is revealed that she and Pat are "an item". Nancy is forced to step down, and Bob Taft in his last act as Governor before entering a home for the mentally challenged appoints a beagle dog named Rufus as the new president of the University which he claims is really his cousin Dwayne Taft. Nobody knows how to tell who the beagle wants as the new coach so they line up 5 candidates and let the dog pick. The dog runs all the way to Loveland and ends up at Huggins door. Huggins is named the new coach. He brings back Banks and Evans. They find out that Mike Rickenacher has a year of eligibility left. Mayo graduates early from high school and joins the team and UC goes to the final four before losing to eventual champion Maryland Eastern Shore when the Rock breaks his neck running into the backboard trying to dunk the winning shot.

01-20-2006 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rathskeller_Crew Offline
All American

I Root For:

Last night was a back-breaker. We have seen this script the last 3 games. I think we could see it a bunch more before the end of the season. I fear the immediate future holds a 2-10 finish to end the regular season 15-15.

Wow! What a difference 2 weeks makes, huh?

01-20-2006 04:18 PM
Advertisement

Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Murph,

I think it's a legit question. Or maybe, unlike our administration, I'm trying to figure out how we can have the quickest rejuvenation of this program.

My excitement of joining the Big East has quickly been annihilated by our impending inability to compete due to our inept administration.

If they're not going to put forth a plan to rejuvenate this program. I will. And I'm using Prosser's name since he is the continuing strongest rumor. But it could be any head coach that comes in.

If a coach gets hired in the Spring after March Madness is over, if they don't bring any recruits in the Spring signing period, it will be hard for them to keep Downey et all. This means to me, that any coach that applies for the job has to be able to BRING RECRUITS IN during the Spring signing period.........or why would they want to coach this program because it will be decimated next year. So the next coach has to have some recruits in his back pocket. We know that Wake already has like 3 to 5 signees, so he can't bring those with him.

The quickest path to recovery is sign some Spring recruits, retain the returning players, and hit the 2007 recruiting class hard. Have a fruitful season of competing, learning, and preparing for the 2007 -2008 season during next season. When Downey, Herrera, Tilford are juniors, this team could be pretty competitive depending on the other recruiting classes.

I am setting forth a plan because the administration isn't. They are idiots.

01-20-2006 04:22 PM
cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati

This concept of a coach "bringing recruits" to a new job strikes me as an urban legend of sorts. I don't buy in to the idea that players will follow coaches anywhere. I believe the school and the program taken together are equally as important as the coach. It's obvious by now that Thomas has no intention of hiring AK now or later. Therefore we will have a new coach named sometime in April with a spring (leftover) signing date in early May. JC himself couldn't assemble a class in that short of a time. Downey is as good as gone without Kennedy and others may be gone as well. The only way to avoid the disaster looming ahead next year was to hire Kennedy. That won't happen so we (and Mike Thomas) are facing the ugliest situation imaginable next year. If Nancy and Thomas are uncomfortable now--wait until one year from now when it becomes obvious to everyone what they did.

01-20-2006 05:17 PM
Advertisement

BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox

[Image: golden-goose-egg.jpg] :bustacap:

01-20-2006 06:12 PM
Catswin Offline
Banned

I Root For:

Donators

BearcatBeta Wrote:[Image: golden-goose-egg.jpg] :bustacap:

woah, the golden egg..................must have

01-20-2006 06:59 PM
Advertisement

Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

cmhcat Wrote:This concept of a coach "bringing recruits" to a new job strikes me as an urban legend of sorts. I don't buy in to the idea that players will follow coaches anywhere. I believe the school and the program taken together are equally as important as the coach. It's obvious by now that Thomas has no intention of hiring AK now or later. Therefore we will have a new coach named sometime in April with a spring (leftover) signing date in early May. JC himself couldn't assemble a class in that short of a time. Downey is as good as gone without Kennedy and others may be gone as well. The only way to avoid the disaster looming ahead next year was to hire Kennedy. That won't happen so we (and Mike Thomas) are facing the ugliest situation imaginable next year. If Nancy and Thomas are uncomfortable now--wait until one year from now when it becomes obvious to everyone what they did.

What I find the most interesting is the fact that everything I've said is somewhat necessary but also somewhat impossible.

I hope for their sake that Prosser is a done deal for one reason only: Who in their right mind would take this job? The looming defection of the remaining players, no incoming recruits, facing last place in the Big East in horrible fashion, decline in attendance that will only get worse, fans rebelling against the university and administration (and rightfully so)........

Who would take this job?

And the funniest part of all is that if he had been considered and asked sooner........Andy Kennedy would have taken the job.

I have this sick feeling that April will come and the potential coaches interested in the job will weigh all the points I mentioned and deem this an unwinnable battle because of the damage done by the administration.

And then they will wish they had hired Kennedy when they had the chance.

Yikes.

01-20-2006 10:53 PM
Hayek Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Question for cmhcat and bearcattitude:

How bad would the season have to get before you said AK was not the answer?

I myself am not yet convinced but apparently you two are. I was just wondering what it would take for you to change your mind.

01-20-2006 11:03 PM
Advertisement

Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Well, people on here don't like to assume anything, but I seriously think had Kirkland not gotten hurt, we might have beaten UConn and definitely would have beaten Xavier last night. I would feel a whole lot better about many of the remaining Big East games with Kirkland.

But considering how this team has really been in every game except for the Syracuse game, I have no doubts about Andy.

And put it this way. If we were still in CUSA. He'd look that much better. This is the Big East, people.

01-20-2006 11:22 PM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Bearcattitude Wrote:Well, people on here don't like to assume anything, but I seriously think had Kirkland not gotten hurt, we might have beaten UConn and definitely would have beaten Xavier last night. I would feel a whole lot better about many of the remaining Big East games with Kirkland.

But considering how this team has really been in every game except for the Syracuse game, I have no doubts about Andy.

And put it this way. If we were still in CUSA. He'd look that much better. This is the Big East, people.

what makes Skip Prosser fans believe that Skip would have been more successful with this year's Bearcats?

01-21-2006 09:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

bearcat54 Wrote:
Bearcattitude Wrote:Well, people on here don't like to assume anything, but I seriously think had Kirkland not gotten hurt, we might have beaten UConn and definitely would have beaten Xavier last night. I would feel a whole lot better about many of the remaining Big East games with Kirkland.

what makes Skip Prosser fans believe that Skip would have been more successful with this year's Bearcats?

That's a good point. I don't think he would have been. And I think that's a good measuring stick for the next coach because they'll be walking into a similar circumstance.

01-21-2006 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.