UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cannot beat the game vs #1 Memphis back in the day
dragonbreath Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
Cannot beat the game vs #1 Memphis back in the day
Cannot beat the excitement when #1 Memphis came to town. Sold out atmosphere.That was the loudest I have ever heard Bartow Arena.Had a 6 point lead with 2:12 left. Vaden fouls Douglas Roberts I believe sending him to the line for Memphis to take the lead. Then UAB takes a desperation shot at the buzzer which the basket was good, but after the horn. Student section goes crazy with the orange jump suit guy falling in front of Dorsey and Dozier pleading not to get pounded. Football players who were in the student section run on the court after the Memphis players. It could have really got ugly. The rumors of the golden gallons was created and photos of the student section were in Sports Illustrated showing the mayhem. Derrick Rose was shooting the lights out. He would shoot from the flames behind the three point line, hit the basket and then fall back on the flames on the court to signal that he was on fire! I think Aaron Johnson on own him all night also. I could be wrong. Don't think AJ knew at the time he was checking one of the best players to go to the NBA.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 11:27 AM by dragonbreath.)
01-12-2013 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Cannot beat the game vs #1 Memphis back in the day
(01-12-2013 08:17 AM)dragonbreath Wrote:  Cannot beat the excitement when #1 Memphis came to town. Sold out atmosphere.That was the loudest I have ever heard Bartow Areana. Had a 6 point lead with 2:12 left. Vaden fouls Douglas Roberts I believe sending him to the line for Memphis to take the lead. Then UAB takes a desperation shot at the buzzer which the basket was good, but after the horn. Student section goes crazy with the orange jump suit guy falling in front of Dorsey and Dozier pleading not to get pounded. Football players who were in the student section run on the court after the Memphis players. It could have really got ugly. The rumors of the golden gallons was created and photos of the student section were in Sports Illustrated showing the mayhem. Derrick Rose was shooting the lights out. He would shoot from the flames behind the three point line, hit the basket and then fall back on the flames on the court to signal that he was on fire! I think Aaron Johnson on own him all night also. I could be wrong.

Greetings.

Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/NMVD9RMJviE

The Memphis paper today has an article on orange jumpsuit guy.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...ime-at-as/
01-12-2013 08:58 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
AJ still has not committed the last foul yet. Still waiting. Ted Hillary blew chunks in this game.
01-12-2013 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(01-12-2013 08:17 AM)dragonbreath Wrote:  Cannot beat the excitement when #1 Memphis came to town. Sold out atmosphere.That was the loudest I have ever heard Bartow Areana. Had a 6 point lead with 2:12 left. Vaden fouls Douglas Roberts I believe sending him to the line for Memphis to take the lead. Then UAB takes a desperation shot at the buzzer which the basket was good, but after the horn. Student section goes crazy with the orange jump suit guy falling in front of Dorsey and Dozier pleading not to get pounded. Football players who were in the student section run on the court after the Memphis players. It could have really got ugly. The rumors of the golden gallons was created and photos of the student section were in Sports Illustrated showing the mayhem. Derrick Rose was shooting the lights out. He would shoot from the flames behind the three point line, hit the basket and then fall back on the flames on the court to signal that he was on fire! I think Aaron Johnson on own him all night also. I could be wrong.

Derrick Rose had a terrible night offensively. He went 2-13 from the field.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/...0802160034

The 2/16/08 game (and the pic where Niles slapped the guy in prison grab) is mentioned in today's edition of the Commercial Appeal.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...ime-at-as/

I hope for an injury free game.
01-12-2013 09:30 AM
WhoDatBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the playoffs !!
Because Memphis is such an elite program...so much better than C-USA standards. We've been holding their program back.

"It's a very tough place to play. Their fan base comes out in full force when they're playing Memphis," Pastner said. "I've always said this: In our league, when we show up (for road games), the place is packed out. They have their special nights, whether it's a white-out, black-out, green-out, yellow-out. But then the next night, there's no one in the stands.
01-12-2013 09:42 AM
egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!
(01-12-2013 09:42 AM)WhoDatBlazer Wrote:  Because Memphis is such an elite program...so much better than C-USA standards. We've been holding their program back.

"It's a very tough place to play. Their fan base comes out in full force when they're playing Memphis," Pastner said. "I've always said this: In our league, when we show up (for road games), the place is packed out. They have their special nights, whether it's a white-out, black-out, green-out, yellow-out. But then the next night, there's no one in the stands.

I think you added some on your own . I didn't read Pastner say any program held Memphis back. You can't claim to be a rival and then complain when someone points out your fans get ramped up about this game. For what it's worth, I think UAB is a rivalry and I will miss it.

Is the attendance smack true? ( I don't like attendance smack. )
01-12-2013 09:49 AM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
They sure think a lot of themselves. If they only knew.
01-12-2013 09:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(01-12-2013 09:49 AM)egrizzard Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 09:42 AM)WhoDatBlazer Wrote:  Because Memphis is such an elite program...so much better than C-USA standards. We've been holding their program back.

I think you added some on your own . I didn't read Pastner say any program held Memphis back. You can't claim to be a rival and then complain when someone points out your fans get ramped up about this game. For what it's worth, I think UAB is a rivalry and I will miss it.

Is the attendance smack true? ( I don't like attendance smack. )

Without doing the research, I think Pastner's statement is true. Based on my biased observation, the Memphis game is the highest attended conference game by the Tiger's conference mates.

Pastner makes the statement to defend C-USA. There are folks who think the Tigers should run the table in conference because they perceive C-USA teams as terrible when the facts point otherwise.
01-12-2013 09:56 AM
uofmbrad Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers/Miss St.

Just eyeballing attendance figures, your team has averaged ~3500 so far this year, less than half full in the 8500-seat Bartow.

It will be packed tonight.

Is Pastner wrong?

Last Year:

UCF - average 5700, our game 8700
Marshall - average 6150, our game 8200
ECU - average 4800, our game 5500
UAB - average 4500, our game 8200
USM - average 3750, our game 8000
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 10:29 AM by uofmbrad.)
01-12-2013 10:15 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-12-2013 09:51 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  They sure think a lot of themselves. If they only knew.

Only knew what? UAB averages apprx. 3,000 attendance per game and again, as every time Memphis comes to town, last night UAB students are camping out (kudos to the students, fun time I'm sure), and tonights game will be UAB's only sell out. Again, only knew what?
01-12-2013 10:20 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

At the risk if posting something ugly I will let your imagination answer that question.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 11:03 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
01-12-2013 11:02 AM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Quote:Don't think AJ knew at the time he was checking one of the best players to go to the NBA.

That statement's as, well, "mistaken" as the rest of the post. AJ had played against Rose for four years of HS and knew how to frustrate him - denial D. Rose had a terrible shooting night.

Can't comment on most of the rest of the thread - except for grizzard (one of the three classy memphis fans) the rest are on ignore.
01-12-2013 11:39 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Yes, you can beat that game & series, but you have to go back a few years.

The contests with Cincy were epic along with VCU & Depaul going back further.

Even the barner games have been classic.

Just because Memphis has been the main game the last several years doesn't mean that we haven't had others.
01-12-2013 01:34 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
UAB Virginia is the loudest basketball game I have ever been to. So loud, it physically hurt.
01-12-2013 01:41 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I would agree. UVA and DePaul were the two loudest.
01-12-2013 02:14 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Before Coach came to Birmingham, Bammer only had 2 NCAA appearances and Auburn had none. They should thank him and UAB for bringing upper-echelon competition to the state, which indirectly helped to build their programs.
01-12-2013 03:28 PM
Advertisement

dragonbreath Offline
All American

BlazerTalk Award
(01-12-2013 02:14 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I would agree. UVA and DePaul were the two loudest.

Forgot about DePaul at the BJCC. Loud!
01-12-2013 03:35 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Cincy when they were #3 was a huge atmosphere. LOUD!
01-12-2013 03:39 PM
BigJessT Offline
2nd String

(01-12-2013 03:28 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  Before Coach came to Birmingham, Bammer only had 2 NCAA appearances and Auburn had none. They should thank him and UAB for bringing upper-echelon competition to the state, which indirectly helped to build their programs.

Just used this on facebook as a point as I have an UAT fan telling me they have a better program.

01-12-2013 03:47 PM
BlazerDave Offline
1st String

(01-12-2013 01:41 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  UAB Virginia is the loudest basketball game I have ever been to. So loud, it physically hurt.

+1
01-12-2013 04:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.