Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Projected Revenue Sharing Under New Playoff Format
Bookmark and Share
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Projected Revenue Sharing Under New Playoff Format
ESPN/Projected BCS Revenue Sharing

NEW YORK -- The financial gap between college football's haves and have-nots is about to grow even larger.

During the 12-year contract for college football's new playoff format, the nation's five power conferences (SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC) will earn an average of nearly $75 million more per year than the smaller leagues known as the "group of five."

It leaves an average of $345 million annually, which the commissioners have decided to split in two ways: 75 percent ($258.75 million) divided equally among the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC, and the remaining 25 percent ($86.25 million) divided among the Big East, MWC, MAC, C-USA and Sun Belt.

From 2014 to 2025, the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC will earn an average of at least $91 million annually, sources told ESPN Tuesday. By comparison, the average for the group of five -- Big East, Mountain West, Mid-American, Conference USA and Sun Belt -- during that 12-year period will be about $17.25 million annually.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ources-say

----------------------------------------

Based upon the above, it may be wise for the SBC to stay at 10 football members. Under the estimate, that will be $1.7M per SBC member. Go to 12 and that will be $1.4M per SBC member.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 04:08 PM by bluephi1914.)
12-12-2012 04:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Projected Revenue Sharing Under New Playoff Format
Why expand now that the distribution amount from the playoff is known? SB is getting 17.25 million like the other group of 5 conferences. Only except split between 8 teams yields 2,156,250/school and anymore teams added splits the pie. The difference will be the bball side and NCAA credits. You can add 1 more FB only team (NMSU) so you can have 4 home and 4 away conference schedule and you have a nice 10 team league for basketball.
12-12-2012 04:10 PM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
That's only for the playoff format, am I correct? So each conference is going to still have it's own TV deals, etc? i.e. the SEC's monster CBS deal, the B1G TV deal, etc.

If the above is true, then it's still important to have the correct markets (I didn't say programs) so that when you get a new TV deal, you have more TV sets to offer. That won't stop the expansion madness.

Next, I think I read somewhere that the shares are not expected to be equal - I think the Big East is pushing for a larger slice of the group of 5 pie.

If that's the case, then it's still:

Big East <<<< MWC <<<<<< CUSA/MAC <<<<<< SBC <<<< FCS
12-12-2012 04:27 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
(12-12-2012 04:27 PM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  Next, I think I read somewhere that the shares are not expected to be equal - I think the Big East is pushing for a larger slice of the group of 5 pie.

Correct! but the 5 conferences get to decide how the money will be divided. Big East is outnumbered and if the other small guys stick together they can demand an equal split.
12-12-2012 04:29 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(12-12-2012 04:29 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 04:27 PM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  Next, I think I read somewhere that the shares are not expected to be equal - I think the Big East is pushing for a larger slice of the group of 5 pie.

Correct! but the 5 conferences get to decide how the money will be divided. Big East is outnumbered and if the other small guys stick together they can demand an equal split.

I think its split equally. The difference is the conference who gets to go to the Group of 5 auto-bid keeps the bowl $$. In addition, TV renvenue and NCAA credits will be the other difference makers. Now with Ark. St. new coach, I can see the SB rising above CUSA.
EDIT: besides with CUSA at 14 teams the SB will get $684k(9fb teams) to 924k (8 teams)more/school in playoff $$ than CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 04:50 PM by MWC Tex.)
12-12-2012 04:41 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
So the money is no longer divided up based on a conferences performance for the year?
12-12-2012 05:44 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(12-12-2012 05:44 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  So the money is no longer divided up based on a conferences performance for the year?

Starting in 2014 not that I see. (It still may be determine between the group of 5 but seems that portion will be equally distributed)

The current system had the BCS bowl money comingled if a non-aq got into a BCS bowl. It appears that from what I understand from articles read that the bowl money from the Group of 5 auto-bid is separate.
Now if that is the case, I could see a deal made within the Group of 5 that conference getting the auto-bid keeps the bowl $$ and that would take place of the performance allocation.
12-12-2012 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.