UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Packers need a new kicker...
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Packers need a new kicker...
...according to the announcers of the Vikes-Packers game...

...I know a good one who just received a Grey Cup championship ring... 02-13-banana
12-02-2012 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
RE: Packers need a new kicker...
Mason Crosby seems to be showing signs of a kicker with no confidence whatsoever in recent games. If the Packers can hold out a couple of more years, we'll send them Ty, would love see him in this particular green and gold when his college days are over. Crosby'd better get his head out of his *** soon, because in today's NFL, kickers are like rabbits...expendable!
12-02-2012 04:04 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Since the Packers game was brought up.

Ponder had another terrible game & had it not been for Peterson the Vikings would have gotten skunked.

The Vikings are getting what they deserve.

When can Joe sign with someone else?
12-02-2012 07:12 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(12-02-2012 07:12 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Since the Packers game was brought up.

Ponder had another terrible game & had it not been for Peterson the Vikings would have gotten skunked.

The Vikings are getting what they deserve.

When can Joe sign with someone else?

He's signed through next season. After that, he can go back up somebody else if he chooses. The Vikings have made it clear that he won't be their starter.
12-02-2012 08:50 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
Or get a legitimate chance to compete for the starting job somewhere else.
12-02-2012 10:23 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I'd settle for that too.
12-03-2012 08:56 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
I think that Joe would have a legitimate chance to win a starting job at QB with the Arizona Cardinals.
12-03-2012 12:51 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(start) Soapbox time.

I have made it a point to watch the Vikings hoping that Joe may get some type of opportunity.

I know the deal, I have been around long enough.

However, the Vikings in my opinion have been playing more to keep Ponder from F-ing up instead of playing to win. You can't do this & expect to CONSISTENTLY win in the NFL.

Had Peterson not been the stud that he is, it would become even more apparent.

I know Joe probably will not see 1 more minute of action this year, however I do know what I saw last year. Joe took a team that was 21 points down or so & almost won the game. He also stood toe to toe with Vick & out Vick-ed Vick. This was with Peterson out.

It would be great for him to go somewhere he is appreciated, even if he never gets in the game again.

He is not appreciated in Minnesota & that is a shame. He can be a heck of a player if given the chance.

(end) Soapbox.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 12:59 PM by the_blazerman.)
12-03-2012 12:58 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(12-02-2012 10:23 PM)Uncle BLAZER Wrote:  Or get a legitimate chance to compete for the starting job somewhere else.

If he had a legit shot, somebody would have traded a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. He is making peanuts in the NFL, as are most young players now, and the Vikings have no use for him. I grew up an NFL fan, and I follow the NFL over college. If he was that good, somebody would get him. He's good when we see him because teams haven't game-planned for him. The Chiefs started Brady Quinn this year. The Cardinals started John Skelton, and some guy who has had a QBR under 5 twice this year. Ryan Fitzapatrick's schizo ass is still playing in Buffalo. Cleveland decided an 80 year old rookie was worth starting. Tennessee still thinks Locker is the answer. Who knows what is going on in Jacksonville. And the Jets took damn near two years to realize McElroy was the best QB on the roster.

You guys can keep dreaming if you want. To this day, I still contend if Joe actually wanted to play in the NFL he should have made the WR switch. He'll make a great living as a career backup. At least he won't have to worry about the the wear and tear on his body later in life.
12-03-2012 01:54 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

McElroy isn't the best QB on the roster for the Jets when Tebow is on the active list.

1 TD drive does not make a QB.

The Jets really have no use for him.

If somebody wanted him they would have traded for him.
12-03-2012 02:00 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Take off the "I hate anything associated with Bama, so nothing that comes from there can be anything but scum glasses" and take a look at what McElroy has done the past 2 preseasons. I understand that preseason games don't count, but he was nothing short of solid. Tim Tebow is not an NFL quarterback. Never has been, never will be. McElroy learned from one of the best college coaches in history, and he ran a pro style offense in college. The players around him certainly helped, but you are really going to sit here and say the dude isn't an NFL quarterback? He is a fringe starter in my opinion, and the Sanchez experiment should be over by now.
12-03-2012 04:06 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

He is no different than what you are criticizing Webb for in my opinion which makes you appear to be two-faced.

I believe he was drafted in a lower round than Webb, although Webb may have been drafted as an athlete.

On top of that, you are saying that the Vikings should stick with Ponder because he was the top QB draft, yet the Jets should scrap Sanchez & play McElroy instead.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 04:18 PM by the_blazerman.)
12-03-2012 04:13 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
When did Sanchez come in the league? He's been with the Jets for 3.5 year now. Ponder has been there for 1.5. You were awfully quiet earlier in the year when Ponder was playing decently.(and by decent, I am not saying he was playing like Peyton Manning before you go there) Again, I don't think Ponder is a viable starter in the NFL. But those 2 situations are very different.

And yes, McElroy was drafted lower than Webb. Tom Brady was also drafted lower than a lot of people. That doesn't mean anything. McElroy ran a pro style offense in college. He had a huge jump start in the NFL because of this. Joe had to run for his life at times in college. He had to improvise, and because he was such a great athlete, he was able to do so. All I know is I look in the NFL today, and the guys with great, sustained success aren't the Mike Vick's of the world.(and FWIW I think Joe is a better QB than Vick) They are guys who stand in the pocket and get rid of the ball quickly.

And again, I hope I am wrong and Joe makes me eat crow at some point. I just read countless articles on him, and they all said not an NFL QB. Will need to transition to WR. Etc. Maybe the guys who do this for a living were wrong. All I know is the Vikings thought so highly of Webb that they drafted a guy in the first round who probably was a mid second rounder at best when they had a million other holes on the roster.
12-03-2012 04:33 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I may have mentioned it in this thread, but I believe the Vikings seem to be more concerned about making Ponder look good versus winning. Without Peterson they would have lost a few more games. Add to it the fact that the Vikings are playing an easier schedule due to their record from last year.

Every QB may have a bad game or two here or there. He seems to have one more often.
12-03-2012 04:45 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
That's the way the Vikings have to try and win games. Outside of Harvin, the receivers suck. The defense is nothing to write home about. Control the clock and hope for the best. The Jets did that crap for years with Sanchez. The Vikings play in the NFC North, so they get 6 games against the Lions, Packers, and Bears. The Lions have a bad record, but aren't a bad team. They drew the AFC South, so that there is 2 playoff teams and 2 garbage teams. They also drew the NFC West, which has 2 playoff teams, a garbage offense in Arizona, and St. Louis, a middle of the road team. The "2 easy games" they drew were Tampa and Washington. That schedule thing is based off of playing 2 teams that finished in the same position in their division as the team you are talking about. It really doesn't do what they try to make it out to do.

As far as Ponder goes, he's 25th out of 34 in rating, 13th in %, 24th in yards, T-21 in TDs, T-13 in INTs(1 is the worst), and T-10 in times sacked. He isn't a great starting QB. He's definitely in the bottom 3rd in the league. I was never making that argument. But there are a lot of bad QBs in the league.
12-03-2012 05:30 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Blazerman, this should make you happy: Scroll to the bottom of the list.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/stor...st-options
12-05-2012 12:49 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Funny you should mention that, listening to the Herd this morning & he said Sanchez should play because of the same reasons that Ponder is playing.

He didn't mention Ponder specifically, but said that by not playing Sanchez you are setting yourself up for problems.

Sanchez will get a guaranteed 8 million next year by the Jets & it is possible he could even be playing somewhere else & still have to get paid this by the Jets.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 12:53 PM by the_blazerman.)
12-05-2012 12:51 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Well, if we were the ones calling the shots, we obviously wouldn't be here. There is no way in hell I would have given Sanchez the extension the Jets gave him . I wouldn't be having issues, because I could cut ties. The Ponder thing... I never would have drafted him in the first round, so I wouldn't be in that boat. I do agree that the situations are similar.(decent defenses, decent running games, no real threats at receiver, etc.) One QB is now in his 4th season, the other in his 2nd. That's the big difference to me. Both have had some decent games, but neither has shown the consistency to be a solid NFL QB in my opinion. Ponder is a little easier to kick to the curb, because his salary won't kill the cap. My guess is if the Vikings could go back and do it all over, they probably would have drafted a QB later in the draft and picked up some players that were NFL ready at other positions. They could have handed the reigns to Joe for the year, and if the season went that poorly, they were in the running for one of the first round QBs taken this year.(and this past QB class was much better than Ponder's)
12-05-2012 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.