Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question: Belk and Russell Bowls...
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Question: Belk and Russell Bowls...
Looks like a BE/ACC challenge, so to speak, this year, between the Orange, Belk and Russell Bowls. If FSU wins the league, as projected, what are the other two looking like, in terms of ACC participants?

I don't want Cincy to go to the Belk, not because I think it's a bad bowl, and Charlotte's a bad place. However, we have a b-ball game at home the same night, vs. top-25 New Mexico.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.
11-12-2012 11:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Question: Belk and Russell Bowls...
Russell picks 3rd, Belk is 4th. So...

If Clemson is NOT selected as a BCS at-large team, they go to the Chick-Fil-A. In that case the next team is probably NC State, then Miami, then Ga Tech. I could see Russell taking Miami ahead of NC State because of proximity, which would be good for NCSU also. If so, that sends GT back to the Sun bowl(?) and Duke to the Music City bowl.

If Clemson goes to the Sugar, that moves NC State to Chick Fil-A, Miami to Russell, and GT to the Belk bowl; Duke would go to the Sun, and the VT/VA winner to Music City.
11-13-2012 05:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
UM to Russel makes tons of sense. They don't travel very well, but Orlando is close by and It would be an easy sell locally for the bowl game. To bad UCF isn't already in BE, UM vs UCF would likely be close to a sell out in citrus bowl.
11-13-2012 07:47 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
One big thing from Miami losing, they lost all leverage with the 1 win rule.

Right now-
FSU/Clemson 6-1(if both win- 7-1)
Miami/Ga Tech 4-3
NC St, Duke 3-3
Wake 3-5
Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech 2-4(any of these 3 would have to win out to be bowl eligible so 4-4)

If Miami/Ga Tech win their final game, and NC State loses to Clemson and BC, BC can't go ahead of Miami or Ga Tech. That would knock NC St down to at least the 3rd non BCS selection(4th if Clemson doesn't go to the BCS).
1st non BCS- Chick Fil A- Clemson if they win and don't get BCS spot(guaranteed)- or NC State/Miami/Ga Tech/Wake/Duke/VT/UVA- let's say Clemson goes BCS, and NC State Goes here....
2nd non BCS- Russell Athletic- Miami/Ga Tech/Wake/Duke/VT or UVA. I know folks will hate this, but VT goes here.
3rd non BCS- Sun bowl- Miami/Ga Tech/Wake- Miami goes here
4th non BCS- Belk Bowl- Ga Tech/Duke/Wake-Ga Tech goes here
5th non BCS- Music City- Duke/Wake- Duke goes here
6th non BCS- Independence- Wake would go here if eligible.

bowls not filled- Millitary

Now, if NC State loses out finishing 6-6 3-5
Clemson BCS
Miami Chick-fil-a
Va Tech Russell
Ga Tech Sun
NC State Belk
Duke Music City
Wake Independence if eligible

If Clemson doesn't go BCS- Things just generally move down a notch, though Miami/Ga Tech would have to go to the Sun Bowl I beleive as CCG loser.
11-13-2012 10:54 AM
Advertisement

catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
After their poor showing in ticket sales for the Kickoff Classic I wouldn't be so quick to put NC State in the Chick-fil-a. When the executive director is an alum of your school and talks about the lack of ticket sales in the media you know you aren't very popular with the bowl committee.
11-13-2012 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-13-2012 11:39 AM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  After their poor showing in ticket sales for the Kickoff Classic I wouldn't be so quick to put NC State in the Chick-fil-a. When the executive director is an alum of your school and talks about the lack of ticket sales in the media you know you aren't very popular with the bowl committee.

Their options if Clemson goes BCS- none are really attractive....
NC State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Duke(if they win one of the final 2 games)
Virginia Tech

It'd be very interesting to see if the team to go there is none other than Virginia Tech....

Also, have got to wonder if Miami passes on bowls again this year given they'd be looking at a pretty mediocre bowl again.
11-13-2012 11:47 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Is there a rule in the ACC limiting how far a CCG loser can drop?
11-13-2012 12:10 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-13-2012 12:10 PM)bronconick Wrote:  Is there a rule in the ACC limiting how far a CCG loser can drop?

I want to say Sun Bowl....
11-13-2012 12:20 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline

They can't fall beyond the Music City
11-13-2012 12:29 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

It is the Sun Bowl:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/11/03/2...g-aim.html

There’s also the rule that prevents the conference championship game loser from falling below the Sun Bowl in the ACC bowl order.
11-13-2012 12:37 PM
Advertisement

catdaddy_2402 Offline

Oh yeah, forgot about the Sun Bowl. No wonder, it's easy to forget something so far out of the way.

Prior to signing the Sun Bowl it used to be Music City.
11-13-2012 12:49 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Thanks for the responses everyone. Obviously hoping on Orange, but we need help, AND to win out. So not counting HEAVILY on it.

If we're a runner up, I'd like to avoid the Belk, for reasons I've given, and if NC St is the opponent. Good opponent to play, but we've played them two years in a row, and I doubt TV wants yet another rematch. Wouldn't mind either. But we'd be assured to end up with a crappy traveling rep if we were put in it.
11-13-2012 01:49 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The Belk Bowl always does anything in its power to select a team from NC. Failing that Clemson. Failing that VT. Failing that ... well ... apocalypse now I suppose.

The Russell Athletic Bowl always does anything in its power to select a team from FL. Failing that Clemson. Failing that VT. Failing that ... well .... apocalypse now I suppose.

I suspect we'll tumble ludicrously far given that we'll almost certainly do no worse than third in the conference. The Music City Bowl one year punted us to San Fran-f*cking-cisco to play on a baseball field so they could instead pick a 6-5 Al Groh coached Virginia ... who brought nearly nobody. I should mention Atlanta to Nashville aint a long drive. And of course we went out there and Chan'ed it up epicly because we didn't want to be there and we didn't deserve to be there and Chan Gailey and Reggie Ball threw more passes into McCovy Cove than Barry Bonds had splashdowns and MOFO I'm still pissed about that job'ing by the Music City Bowl. I'm sure the Sun Bowl would just loooooooove to have us again if we sneak into the ACC-CG and get blown up by FSU so we can limp into the Sun Bowl for the second consecutive year but this time at 6-7 coming off spankings from UGAg and FSU. And while I'd go because El Paso was a nice place and it's a very unique environment ... a college football united nations of sorts .... I doubt many other GT fans would go given that many of us haven't finished therapy yet from our ultra-uber-implosion there (and then again against VT ... and then again against Miami).

MAN I HATE HOW WE GET SCREWED EVERY YEAR IN BOWL SELECTION. 03-pissed

If Cincinnati is in the Belk Bowl, I'd prefer to play there. We could call it the Gruehls-GTS-BR Bowl. But since Atlanta aint in NC ... fat chance.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2012 05:07 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
11-14-2012 05:05 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Jesus H. Christ Private Pyle. ESPN's two projections are GT vs USC-east in the Chic-Fil-A Bowl ...... or GT vs USC-West in the Sun Bowl. Paul Johnson might never win a bowl.
11-14-2012 05:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.