Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tigers in the driver's seat for BCS sugar; but what was the ACC thinking?
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
Tigers in the driver's seat for BCS sugar; but what was the ACC thinking?
Orangeandwhite.com

Quote:Hindsight beats foresight for acuity, but is rarely preferable.

Which brings up the question of 'what was the ACC thinking?' when the powers-that-be scheduled Clemson against Florida State in September - the Tigers' ACC opener, even.

One never knows how things will play out over the course of a season, but this one - FSU and Clemson sitting not only atop the Atlantic Division standings, but head and shoulders above everyone else in the ACC - was a pretty safe bet.

A no-brainer, even.

Imagine the drama, the positive national exposure, if unbeaten, top-five Clemson was traveling to face once-beaten Florida State this week in Tallahassee.

Instead, the ACC's schedulers turned rare opportunity into a season-long slog - a week-to-week yawner with few highlights and lots of cringe-worthy lows.

FSU and Clemson have had no viable competition in the Atlantic for the past month.

And the Coastal is just a mess.
11-12-2012 10:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
RE: Tigers in the driver's seat for BCS sugar; but what was the ACC thinking?
just plain stupid, fsu & clemson should never play earlier than mid to late october period.
11-12-2012 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(11-12-2012 11:08 PM)mj4life Wrote:  just plain stupid, fsu & clemson should never play earlier than mid to late october period.

Texas vs Oklahoma is never earlier than early October and never later than mid-October. Gives the loser of the game time to regroup and recover in the polls.

That, to me, is the ideal time for a tough intra-divisional rivarlry. ACC is all over the map with FSU/Clemson, but rarely is it in what I consider the ideal window for a game of that magnitude.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 11:31 PM by omniorange.)
11-12-2012 11:31 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I wouldn't say that Clemson is in the drivers seat for the Sugar this year.

1 scenario they don't have a shot......
title game is Oregon vs Kansas St
Notre Dame loses to USC, but finishes top 8(automatic)
LA Tech finishes top 16 and ahead of Nebraska or BE Champ
SEC team finishes top 4 and doesn't win conference- Alabama 3 and then LSU 4.

4 at large teams-
La Tech, Notre Dame, LSU, and then whoever the Rose Bowl chose as replacement for Oregon(if they don't take one of the other 3). They take Stanford.
now- if La Tech doesn't qualify
If Rose takes Stanford and Fiesta takes Oklahoma, Notre Dame and LSU MUST be selected and Clemson is out. So, Clemson has to root for Notre Dame quite frankly.....
11-12-2012 11:42 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(11-12-2012 11:31 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 11:08 PM)mj4life Wrote:  just plain stupid, fsu & clemson should never play earlier than mid to late october period.

Texas vs Oklahoma is never earlier than early October and never later than mid-October. Gives the loser of the game time to regroup and recover in the polls.

That, to me, is the ideal time for a tough intra-divisional rivarlry. ACC is all over the map with FSU/Clemson, but rarely is it in what I consider the ideal window for a game of that magnitude.

Cheers,
Neil

I believe the Red River Rivalry is set to the Texas State Fair, which is around mid/late October. I agree, though, that the timing allows the loser to rebuild their ranking.
11-13-2012 07:53 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-12-2012 11:42 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I wouldn't say that Clemson is in the drivers seat for the Sugar this year.

1 scenario they don't have a shot......
title game is Oregon vs Kansas St
Notre Dame loses to USC, but finishes top 8(automatic)
LA Tech finishes top 16 and ahead of Nebraska or BE Champ
SEC team finishes top 4 and doesn't win conference- Alabama 3 and then LSU 4.

4 at large teams-
La Tech, Notre Dame, LSU, and then whoever the Rose Bowl chose as replacement for Oregon(if they don't take one of the other 3). They take Stanford.
now- if La Tech doesn't qualify
If Rose takes Stanford and Fiesta takes Oklahoma, Notre Dame and LSU MUST be selected and Clemson is out. So, Clemson has to root for Notre Dame quite frankly.....

:)
11-13-2012 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
As others have said the benefit of an early season game is that the loser can rebound in the polls. We all know that a loss early looks better than a loss late. Unfortunately, I agree with you that September is too early for a game of that magnitude.

In this case, it could have been fairly easily predicted that these two teams were going to be the class of the Atlantic division. There really is no excuse, then.
11-14-2012 02:44 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline

(11-14-2012 02:44 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  As others have said the benefit of an early season game is that the loser can rebound in the polls. We all know that a loss early looks better than a loss late. Unfortunately, I agree with you that September is too early for a game of that magnitude.

Unless, of course, the rest of the conference is garbage and both teams after suffering their sole loss in September/first week of October have yet to recover.

Where would a Top 5, undefeated Clemson be in the polls next week if it lost to a once beaten, top 10 FSU this week? Right about where it is now.

Quote:In this case, it could have been fairly easily predicted that these two teams were going to be the class of the Atlantic division. There really is no excuse, then.
Get ready to get used to asinine moves. It's to be expected when you have a conference ran by basketball people who have no clue how to maximize football exposure.

Do any of you think that Duke/UNC would be the opening conference basketball game for either school? Of course not.
11-14-2012 03:07 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

(11-14-2012 03:07 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  
(11-14-2012 02:44 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  As others have said the benefit of an early season game is that the loser can rebound in the polls. We all know that a loss early looks better than a loss late. Unfortunately, I agree with you that September is too early for a game of that magnitude.

Unless, of course, the rest of the conference is garbage and both teams after suffering their sole loss in September/first week of October have yet to recover.

Where would a Top 5, undefeated Clemson be in the polls next week if it lost to a once beaten, top 10 FSU this week? Right about where it is now.

Quote:In this case, it could have been fairly easily predicted that these two teams were going to be the class of the Atlantic division. There really is no excuse, then.
Get ready to get used to asinine moves. It's to be expected when you have a conference ran by basketball people who have no clue how to maximize football exposure.

Do any of you think that Duke/UNC would be the opening conference basketball game for either school? Of course not.

that's my point also, you would have had the media build up to the game & i doubt either would have been hurt in the polls much, plus both get a chance to add a signature win at the end of season.
11-14-2012 03:23 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

One thing about Clemson/FSU- look at the calendar....

Nov 3- would have been up against USC/Oregon, Kansas St/Oklahoma St, and Alabama/LSU- good luck there
Nov 10- the best option- but would ABC choose FSU/Clemson or Notre Dame/BC? I'm thinking probably Notre Dame
Nov 17- a pretty bad tv weekend- but does FSU/Clemson want a tough game week before Florida/S Carolina? I think not.
11-14-2012 03:30 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
If the ACC put the Clemson FSU game within two weeks of the USC and UF matchups you'd get a whole lot more whining.

Losing early allows you time to climb back in the polls.
11-14-2012 03:34 PM
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

(11-14-2012 03:30 PM)stever20 Wrote:  One thing about Clemson/FSU- look at the calendar....

Nov 3- would have been up against USC/Oregon, Kansas St/Oklahoma St, and Alabama/LSU- good luck there
Nov 10- the best option- but would ABC choose FSU/Clemson or Notre Dame/BC? I'm thinking probably Notre Dame
Nov 17- a pretty bad tv weekend- but does FSU/Clemson want a tough game week before Florida/S Carolina? I think not.

that's why the mid to late October range would have been better. in fact the week before ala/lsu would have been perfect IMO
11-14-2012 03:34 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2012 03:34 PM)mj4life Wrote:  
(11-14-2012 03:30 PM)stever20 Wrote:  One thing about Clemson/FSU- look at the calendar....

that's why the mid to late October range would have been better. in fact the week before ala/lsu would have been perfect IMO

Wasn't that Oklahoma/Notre Dame? Don't think so there.....
11-14-2012 03:35 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

(11-14-2012 03:35 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

you could have put it on at 6:00 on espn which would give it very little overlap or you could have started at 3:30 on ABC against ga/fl. either way you will alsways have some form of competition on a weekly basis.
11-14-2012 03:46 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2012 03:46 PM)mj4life Wrote:  

you could have put it on at 6:00 on espn which would give it very little overlap or you could have started at 3:30 on ABC against ga/fl. either way you will alsways have some form of competition on a weekly basis.

The thing is, the 8pm timeslot has become the prime time slot outside the SEC.
11-14-2012 03:51 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline

You are daft if you think ABC goes with ND vs a piss poor BC team over a Top 5, undefeated Clemson at a one loss, Top 10 FSU.
11-14-2012 03:52 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2012 03:52 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  

You are daft if you think ABC goes with ND vs a piss poor BC team over a Top 5, undefeated Clemson at a one loss, Top 10 FSU.

Given the day they would be selecting was the day after Notre Dame beat Oklahoma, it's likely they actually choose both- making it split national.....
11-14-2012 03:56 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

(11-14-2012 03:51 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-14-2012 03:46 PM)mj4life Wrote:  

The thing is, the 8pm timeslot has become the prime time slot outside the SEC.

this season it would not gotten the primetime slot but that can change from season to season, the difference is this year you would have gotten more run on espn shows during the week. even if you moved the game to thursday you still would have gotten a better rating than clem/wake
11-14-2012 03:56 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

The ACC is the ONLY exclusive product of ESPN, which means I bet the television schedule basically dictates the ACC schedule to maximize ratings for the network. That's been my guess of why the scheduling is so brutal... in basketball the conference is elite so it is one of the conferences dictating the schedules - unlike where football schedules its headlining games around those of other conferences.
11-14-2012 11:53 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
If Va Tech had gone 4-0 OOC and beaten UNC in conference, the VT @ Clemson game would've been in prime time. I really think that was the plan when the schedule was made up, but the Hokies laid a big turkey egg.
11-15-2012 06:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.