Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
How many bowls do we need?
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

How many bowls does an eight team conference need? When we go to a twelve game schedule we will have five out of conference games and the potential for almost all of us to be bowl eligible. Six or seven bowls? Also we shouldn't wait to see if we expand to try to line up more bowls. I think five bowls and the BCS is about perfect. Any conference that has bowls for 75% of it's teams is doing pretty damn good....and we're still in good shape if we go to nine teams.
11-29-2005 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn

Starting next season, the Big East will sort of have five bowls. Under normal circumstances, that should be a very good number for an eight team league.

1) BCS
2) Gator/Sun
3) Houston
4) Meineke Car Care
5) Toronto

The "sort of" notation, of course, is because of the Notre Dame factor. There should, however, be 30 bowls and 60 slots available. Hopefully it will be okay.
11-29-2005 12:04 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

When do we go to a twelve game schedule. That will be a determining factor in how many of our teams may be bowl eligible in a given year....and what happens to teams that are 6 - 6, are they eligible? OOC scheduling will be the key. One real strong BCS team, a couple of mid level BCS teams, and a couple of weak teams will just about guarentee a 3 - 2 out of conference record. and if some team is able to run that and the in conference schedule....it would be strong enough to give them consideration for the national championship game.
12-01-2005 10:55 AM
Advertisement

tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Without ND how many bowls would the BE have? at least 2 less.
12-01-2005 11:50 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

The 12 game schedule starts next season. The NCAA isn't likely to go higher than the 30 bowl games that will be in place next season, though, especially since there are only 119 teams in Division I-A. Of those teams, 60 will play in bowls starting next fall, meaning 51% of NCAA Division I-A football teams make the postseason.

That means the Big East is stuck with the 5 bowls I listed from 2006 through 2009. All of the other bowls are locked up by other leagues. There are no more bowls to add until 2010 at the earliest. So we have to deal with our current situation for the next four years. Hopefully the Big Apple Bowl will come into existence in 2010.
12-01-2005 05:27 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Krocker Krapp Wrote:The NCAA isn't likely to go higher than the 30 bowl games that will be in place next season, though, especially since there are only 119 teams in Division I-A.
There are 28 bowls right now, for the 2nd straight year. Does the Toronto Bowl already have approval by the NCAA? Also, what is the 30th bowl for next season?
12-01-2005 06:37 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

The Toronto Bowl is considered to have a very good chance of being approved. There are a number of other bowls trying to get approval, including bowls in West Virginia and Indiana.
12-01-2005 06:40 PM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

The 29th bowl will be the new rotating BCS Championship Game. It has to be officially sanctioned by the NCAA in April. The new Toronto Bowl will be approved at the same time as the 30th bowl. After that meeting, don't expect the NCAA to approve any more bowls unless the size of Division I-A dramatically increases. The only way any other new bowls will be approved is by replacing a game that goes out of business, such as this year's new Poinsettia Bowl replacing the decertified Silicon Valley Bowl.
12-01-2005 07:29 PM
LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI

That sounds pretty good. If we can a top 10, top 20, a top 30 and a top 40 team each year they fit nicely in these bowls no matter what Notre Dame does. A 5th team would be gravy. I look forward to the Sun. The most fun I ever had was at a Sun Bowl back in '87.

04-bow
Notre Dame will hopefully just be put in the BCS every year with it expanding.
12-02-2005 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Ill say FIVE Bowls. Most years we will have FOUR bowl eligible teams and since we share bowls with ND thats five bowls right there. On certain years we will have five bowl eligible teams so we might have to scramblethen but FIVE bowls are a must.
Right now we have for sure
1. BCS
2. Sun/Gator
3. Meineke
4. Houston
so we need one more and keep the tie in with Motor or other as an addition.
I would much rather that Bowls set up deals like the Sun/Gator did so you do not have the same conference going to same place. It will hurt attendance if same team goes back to same bowl it went year before
12-02-2005 06:05 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT

I haven't heard anything official yet form the motor for the next contract? Maybe it will be B10/MAC/BE sharing motor and toronto?
12-02-2005 09:37 PM
WVUCoffey Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I don't know of the WV bowl, but I always thought, being that I am from WV, that a bowl would be great here. We are within 500 miles of 2/3 of the nations populace. If only we would expand. But Morgantown is the fastest growing city in the state and there is going to be millions of dollars worth of renovation within the city over the next few years. But I just don't see it happening. It could be called the Coal Bowl. There are also a he!! of a lot of bars and Pitt just up North.
12-02-2005 09:58 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.