Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Taking some guesses on bowls
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Taking some guesses on bowls
SBC is in an unusual situation this year because of the # of eligible teams to # of Bowl slots ratio. We are in the position of having outside bowls that are very interested in our teams.

That makes me wonder, will the SBC work with the teams and their bowls this year to make sure each team is placed in a bowl that should be a good draw for that bowl?

Think about this scenario:

CUSA elects to send its champion to Heart of Dallas instead of Liberty because they like the New Years Day spot. Liberty Bowl becomes open.

SEC doesnt fill its bowl obligations and the Independence Bowl is left open.

New Orleans bowl has top choice, but yet again has the option to not take a champion. Go Daddy took the champion last year, and again, is under no obligation to take the champ this year because the champion is pretty much guaranteed a bowl bid regardless.

ASU and ULM approach SBC about allowing their schools to fill the open slots in Shreveport and Memphis. Both bowls make sense for those teams, as they are regional bowls, and in the case of ASU, we would send 20K to Memphis easy. Liberty Bowl is in a much better TV slot on New years Eve, and the league would look really good having one of its teams playing in a bowl on this day. SBC agrees, and goes to New Orleans and Go Daddy to work out a deal.

Selection time comes:

New Orleans takes a 7 win ULL team, and is guaranteed a good crowd again.

Go Daddy picks up an MTSU team that usually travels down their well.

Liberty comes along and picks up ASU to match up against an SEC opponent.

Independence takes ULM

WKU gets shipped off to a far away bowl, but still plays its first bowl game.

Think about the positives here:

ULL would easily send a great crowd to New Orleans, and its another night game. We look good in front of the cameras.

ULM sends a decent crowd to Shreveport. Warhawks have Browning back, and a large walkup crowd shows up out of curiosity to see the media darling this year. Its another night bowl game. We look good on TV.

ASU goes to Liberty and plays a team like Ole Miss (My understanding is the Liberty bowl is pushing hard for this if Ole Miss can become bowl eligible) Liberty markets the heck out of a Malzahn/Freeze matchup, and Ole Miss fans who are bowl starved, and an exuberant ASU fan base fill the place. Game is an afternoon game on New Years Eve. We look good on TV

MTSU goes to Go Daddy. MTSU may or may not be league champs heading that way. Either way, MAC champ gets there, and the Go Daddy takes advantage of local interest, and draws a big crowd. Game is the night before the national title game, and is the only thing on TV that night. We look good on TV.

WKU goes to Detroit, bad for WKU, but the MAC gets to fill the other slot, and both teams put on a show. Crowd isnt good, but Detroit never is, and the game is impressive looking ending in a WKU win. We look good on TV

All of these scenarios are very possible this year.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 05:00 PM by chiefsfan.)
11-09-2012 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
RE: Taking some guesses on bowls
(11-09-2012 04:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  SBC is in an unusual situation this year because of the # of eligible teams to # of Bowl slots ratio. We are in the position of having outside bowls that are very interested in our teams.

That makes me wonder, will the SBC work with the teams and their bowls this year to make sure each team is placed in a bowl that should be a good draw for that bowl?

Think about this scenario:

CUSA elects to send its champion to Heart of Dallas instead of LIberty because they like the New Years Day spot. Liberty Bowl becomes opem.

SEC doesnt fill its bowl obligations and the Independence Bowl is left open.

New Orleans bowl has top choic, but yet again has the option to not take a champion. Go Daddy took the champion last year, and again, is under no obligation to take the champ this year because the champion is pretty much guaranteed a bowl bid regardless.

ASU and ULM approach SBC about allowing their schools to fill the open slots in Shreveport and Memphis. Both bowls make sense for those teams, as they are regional bowls, and in the case of ASU, we would send 20K to Memphis easy. Liberty Bowl is in a much better TV slot on New years Eve, and the league would look really good having one of its teams playing in a bowl on this day. SBC agrees, and goes to New Orleans and Go Daddy to work out a deal.

Selection time comes:

New Orleans takes a 7 win ULL team, and is guaranteed a good crowd again.

Go Daddy picks up an MTSU team that usually travels down their well.

Liberty comes along and picks up ASU to match up against an SEC opponent.

Independence takes ULM

WKU gets shipped off to a far away bowl, but still plays its first bowl game.

Think about the positives here:

ULL would easily send a great crowd to New Orleans, and its another night game. We look good in front of the cameras.

ULM sends a decent crowd to Shreveport. Warhawks have Browning back, and a large walkup crowd shows up out of curiosity to see the media darling this year. Its another night bowl game. We look good on TV.

ASU goes to Liberty and plays a team like Ole Miss (My understanding is the Liberty bowl is pushing hard for this if Ole Miss can become bowl eligible) Liberty markets the heck out of a Malzahn/Freeze matchup, and Ole Miss fans who are bowl starved, and a exuberant ASU fan base fill the place. Game is an afternoon game on New Years Eve. We look good on TV

MTSU goes to Go Daddy. MTSU may or may not be league champs heading that way. Either way, MAC champ gets there, and the Go Daddy takes advantage of local interest, and draws a big crowd. Game is the night before the national title game, and is the only thing on TV that night. We look good on TV.

WKU goes to Detroit, bad for WKU, but the MAC gets to fill the other slot, and both teams put on a show. Crowd isnt good, but Detroit never is, and the game is impressive looking ending in a WKU win. We look good on TV

All of these scenarios are very possibel this year.

I think that's probably the optimal scenario for the conference at this point.
11-09-2012 04:58 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
On top of that, MT men's and women's hoops teams play at South Alabama the day before
11-09-2012 05:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexasWarhawkBrother Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM,FSU,UNC
I am all for ULM going to Shreveport and playing. Its close and its only 2 hours from the house here in Texas.
11-09-2012 05:03 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I just think in the end, this is the one year the SBC needs to get with the bowls and work out a deal. Independence would be foolish to not go for a potential Tech/Monroe matchup. I truthfully dont think Tech would turn that down. Its no secret that the Liberty Bowl covets a possible ASU/Ole Miss matchup. A chimpanzee could market that matchup. (Liberty Bowl officials were very impressed with our game yesterday, and had a long visit with Benson after that game.)

Same scenario applies if Music City or Birmingham come open for MTSU or WKU. It is imperative that the SBC is willing this year to let teams choose their bowl destinations. We have a legit chance at looking really good on TV.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 05:09 PM by chiefsfan.)
11-09-2012 05:08 PM
Advertisement

exflash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
(11-09-2012 05:03 PM)TexasWarhawkBrother Wrote:  I am all for ULM going to Shreveport and playing. Its close and its only 2 hours from the house here in Texas.
Monroe versus Tech in Shreveport---Isn't that the real crowd pleaser???
11-09-2012 05:09 PM
Atlanta Trojan Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Our AD and Benson said that if Troy gets to 6-6, they are 95% certain Troy would be bowling... That's how many open slots there's going to be.
11-09-2012 05:10 PM
Advertisement

MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(11-09-2012 05:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I truthfully dont think Tech would turn that down.

You really don't think so?
11-09-2012 05:10 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
MT going to GoDaddy would be the best case scenario. I went to the game a few years back when we played there and had a blast. We play USA basketball down there too, so we could easily bring a few thousand fans to the games, especially if they keep doing well like they're projected to.
11-09-2012 05:20 PM
Advertisement

AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
The New Orleans Bowl is a morning bowl game this year.
11-09-2012 05:29 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
My guess as of today (influenced by migraine meds).

ASU in New Orleans vs. the winner of SMU/Rice
Louisiana in Mobile vs. Ohio
MT in Birmingham vs. Bowling Green
ULM in Shreveport vs. Wake Forest or Miami of Ohio
WKU in Detroit vs. Toledo
If eligible, Troy in the Military Bowl (DC) vs. Western Michigan
11-09-2012 05:37 PM
TexasWarhawkBrother Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM,FSU,UNC
(11-09-2012 05:09 PM)exflash Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 05:03 PM)TexasWarhawkBrother Wrote:  I am all for ULM going to Shreveport and playing. Its close and its only 2 hours from the house here in Texas.
Monroe versus Tech in Shreveport---Isn't that the real crowd pleaser???

Tech would turn it down though. I wouldnt mind going to the Heart of Dallas bowl either. That is just a 45 min trip from the house.
11-09-2012 07:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.