Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East men's soccer tournament update ....
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Big East men's soccer tournament update ....
The Big East soccer tournament is down to the final four, to be played on 11/9/12, with the championship game on 11/11/12. All games are at Red Bull Arena in N.J. The teams are listed with their national rankings (four teams in the Top 10!).

Marquette #10 vs. Georgetown #4
UConn #6 vs. Notre Dame #7
11-04-2012 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: Big East men's soccer tournament update ....
(11-04-2012 05:40 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  The Big East soccer tournament is down to the final four, to be played on 11/9/12, with the championship game on 11/11/12. All games are at Red Bull Arena in N.J. The teams are listed with their national rankings (four teams in the Top 10!).

We have one of if not THEE best Soccer conference, but no one cares about that. haha
11-04-2012 06:17 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(11-04-2012 06:17 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 05:40 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  The Big East soccer tournament is down to the final four, to be played on 11/9/12, with the championship game on 11/11/12. All games are at Red Bull Arena in N.J. The teams are listed with their national rankings (four teams in the Top 10!).

We have one of if not THEE best Soccer conference, but no one cares about that. haha

I'm guessing that soccer is the #5 NCAA sport. I would rank them as follows, based on TV ratings:

1) FB
2) men's BB
3) women's BB
4) baseball
5) men's soccer
6) hockey
7) lacrosse
8) ???

College baseball, hockey, and lacrosse seem to be growing in popularity. I'm not sure about soccer. But as of right now, a lot more schools play soccer than hockey or lacrosse.
11-04-2012 06:29 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-04-2012 06:37 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 06:29 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I'm guessing that soccer is the #5 NCAA sport. I would rank them as follows, based on TV ratings:

1) FB
2) men's BB
3) women's BB
4) baseball
5) men's soccer
6) hockey
7) lacrosse
8) ???

College baseball, hockey, and lacrosse seem to be growing in popularity. I'm not sure about soccer. But as of right now, a lot more schools play soccer than hockey or lacrosse.

I think you've got lacrosse way too low. The finals have averaged over 40,000 people in attendance for the last decade now.

I'd swap hockey and lacrosse. A lot more schools have lacrosse than hockey.
11-04-2012 06:38 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

How many of the new teams play soccer?
11-04-2012 06:38 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-04-2012 06:44 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  I'd go with:

1. Football
2. Men's Basketball
3. Women's Basketball
4. Baseball
5. Lacrosse
6. Hockey
7. Soccer
8. Wrestling
9. Women's Softball

Nobody play Lacrosse except the northeast, and even then it's sketchy. Only one high school remotely close to me played Lacrosse. That was the late 90's.
11-04-2012 07:18 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I'd go with:

Football
Men's Hoops

after that...who gives a sh
11-04-2012 07:34 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-04-2012 07:34 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I'd go with:

Football
Men's Hoops

after that...who gives a sh

Those posting in a soccer thread...01-wingedeagle
11-04-2012 07:59 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(11-04-2012 06:29 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I'm guessing that soccer is the #5 NCAA sport. I would rank them as follows, based on TV ratings:

1) FB
2) men's BB
3) women's BB
4) baseball
5) men's soccer
6) hockey
7) lacrosse
8) ???

03-lmfao at #5...let me know next time soccer gets their whole season on the ESPN Family like lacrosse.
11-04-2012 11:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(11-04-2012 07:18 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

1. Football
2. Men's Basketball
3. Women's Basketball
4. Baseball
5. Lacrosse
6. Hockey
7. Soccer
8. Wrestling
9. Women's Softball

Nobody play Lacrosse except the northeast, and even then it's sketchy. Only one high school remotely close to me played Lacrosse. That was the late 90's.

I assumed you grew up in NJ...might want to recheck it. It is booming in the suburbs...including states like CA, TX, GA, IL....
11-04-2012 11:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-04-2012 11:05 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 07:18 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

1. Football
2. Men's Basketball
3. Women's Basketball
4. Baseball
5. Lacrosse
6. Hockey
7. Soccer
8. Wrestling
9. Women's Softball

I assumed you grew up in NJ...might want to recheck it. It is booming in the suburbs...including states like CA, TX, GA, IL....

Yeah, last I checked it's in the Northeast. It can be booming all it wants, it still doesn't have half as many colleges playing it as Soccer.
11-04-2012 11:10 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-04-2012 11:02 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

1) FB
2) men's BB
3) women's BB
4) baseball
5) men's soccer
6) hockey
7) lacrosse
8) ???

03-lmfao at #5...let me know next time soccer gets their whole season on the ESPN Family like lacrosse.

A Lacrosse season is like 7 games.
11-04-2012 11:11 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(11-04-2012 11:11 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 11:02 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

1) FB
2) men's BB
3) women's BB
4) baseball
5) men's soccer
6) hockey
7) lacrosse
8) ???

A Lacrosse season is like 7 games.

Are you always argumentative and just flat out wrong?...Last Season Cuse played 2 Spring exhibition games, 14 regular season games, then the BE Tourney then the NCAA Tourney. BTW, let me know the next time soccer has a kickoff tourney at MetLife Stadium with reserved tix going for $25 to $75

As for the number of schools playing it...you know Title IX is a huge hindrance for more schools...but the last few seasons has seen Michigan and Marquette added outside the traditional area along with several less known Div 1 schools.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 11:27 PM by TexanMark.)
11-04-2012 11:22 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(11-04-2012 11:27 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 11:22 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Are you always argumentative and just flat out wrong?...Last Season Cuse played 2 Spring exhibition games, 14 regular season games, then the BE Tourney then the NCAA Tourney. BTW, let me know the next time soccer has a kickoff tourney at MetLife Stadium with reserved tix going for $25 to $75

Also, the College Cup final's highest attendance in history was 21,319 in 1995. Last year's was less than half of that. The lacrosse final has averaged over 41,000 people for the last 10 years!

BTW, the Div 3 Lacrosse championship final routinely draws 20-30k fans each year.

Alas it doesn't matter, as he doesn't care...has an ignorant agenda to grind.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 11:37 PM by TexanMark.)
11-04-2012 11:36 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-04-2012 11:27 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 11:22 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Are you always argumentative and just flat out wrong?...Last Season Cuse played 2 Spring exhibition games, 14 regular season games, then the BE Tourney then the NCAA Tourney. BTW, let me know the next time soccer has a kickoff tourney at MetLife Stadium with reserved tix going for $25 to $75

Also, the College Cup final's highest attendance in history was 21,319 in 1995. Last year's was less than half of that. The lacrosse final has averaged over 41,000 people for the last 10 years!

Why because I disagree? Yeah, we get it, Cuse thinks Lacrosse is the bees knees. Awesome. Too bad 90% of the country doesn't know anything about the sport. Not to mention the fact that way more schools sponsor Soccer.

Long Island love Lacrosse of course you can sell tix in the area. Let me know when a Lacrosse tourny in Texas sells tix for $75 bucks.

Lacrosse is a sport secluded to a few small pockets. Soccer is a sport played all over the country. Those are facts. You can disagree but that doesnt make me argumentative or wrong. If you dont like the truth well then TS.
11-05-2012 12:09 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-04-2012 11:36 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Also, the College Cup final's highest attendance in history was 21,319 in 1995. Last year's was less than half of that. The lacrosse final has averaged over 41,000 people for the last 10 years!

BTW, the Div 3 Lacrosse championship final routinely draws 20-30k fans each year.

Alas it doesn't matter, as he doesn't care...has an ignorant agenda to grind.
[/quote]

Quit trolling, this is a thread about soccer not Lacrosse.

Derailing a thread and name calling is in fact trolling. I can't wait for BBall season to be over just so i don't have to deal with you guys.
11-05-2012 12:11 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

You ranked ordered the teams and put Lacrosse below Soccer. I called you out. You provided weak and incorrect info. Lacrosse draws bigger crowds and is on TV more despite fewer schools and a regional fan base.

I just don't see college soccer gaining much traction in the US as a big time sport.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 12:49 PM by TexanMark.)
11-05-2012 12:48 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-05-2012 12:48 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  You ranked ordered the teams and put Lacrosse below Soccer. I called you out. You provided weak and incorrect info. Lacrosse draws bigger crowds and is on TV more despite fewer schools and a regional fan base.

I just don't see college soccer gaining much traction in the US as a big time sport.

Soccer is played while FB (pro and college), Baseball (pro) and Basketball (pro) is being played. Of course Lacrosse which is played with only the beginning of baseball being played gets more TV time. What else are the 400 sports channels going to air? That argument is just silly. same goes for the attendance. If Lacrosse had to go head to head with FB it wouldn't even be a contest. I grew up in the northeast and don't know much about the game. I don't know the rules and the strategies. Thats someone who grew up in the "foot print" of lacrosses biggest region of popularity. Everyone in the country knows thew game of Soccer and can jump right in and watch a game and know whats going on. The same cannot be said for lacrosse.

Yes, we get it. You Syracuse folks LOVE Lacrosse, but the rest of the country couldn't care less. It's a Long Island/Chesapeake Bay game, not a national one.

How many known named conferences sponsor Soccer and how many sponsor Lacrosse?

I mean i'm not making some crazy statement like College Soccer is more popular than College basketball. Most of the country knows NOTHING about the game of Lacrosse.
11-05-2012 12:59 PM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-05-2012 12:48 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  You ranked ordered the teams and put Lacrosse below Soccer. I called you out. You provided weak and incorrect info. Lacrosse draws bigger crowds and is on TV more despite fewer schools and a regional fan base.

Depends how you are ranking them. Hockey may be third in terms of dollars for the schools that play it. It is certainly more popular that baseball and woman's basketball up north. Schools like Wisconsin, North Dakota and Minnesota regularly draw over 10,000 per game. It not unusual to sell out the Kohl Center in Madison for a Badger hockey game. Outside of UConn and UT, very few women's programs draw anything close to that. Hockey games are on tv all the time, too, although not as much a woman's basketball. There simply are not that many schools playing the sport.

College Soccer, even though popular in terms of the number of schools playing it, has limited exposure on tv. Same goes for Lacrosse. Lacrosse draws better live. A big soccer crowd is a couple thousand. Lacrosse is an NE sport. Very few schools west of the Mississippi or in the deep south play it or even care about it. Consequently, in terms of national interest, soccer may be more popular.

Now, even though may northern schools don't play baseball is on tv a lot. It doesn't draw that well, but it does draw consistently and better than most of the other sports.

In short, it is almost impossible to rank the popularity of these sports, with specifying the criteria. I would guess that Wisconsin makes more money from hockey than any school makes from baseball, soccer or lacrosse. It probably is a toss up between UConn or UT's women's hoops and Badger hockey. Does this make it the 3rd most popular sport? Yes, definitely in Madison, but certainly not in Storrs.
11-05-2012 01:11 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
College lacrosse is to the Mid-Atlantic what ice hockey is to New England and the Rust Belt.

Good crowds, lots of interest, but invisible in the rest of the nation.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 02:04 PM by DFW HOYA.)
11-05-2012 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.