Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where are the futbol fans?
Bookmark and Share
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Where are the futbol fans?
I see where ETSU dropped thier 3rd straight over in South Carolina in front of a whopping 287 fans. Yeah nothing like fall futbol to get the fans out, wonder how many ETSU fans made the short trip down to tailgate in the parking lot pregrame?
09-23-2012 09:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Where are the futbol fans?
(09-23-2012 09:08 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  I see where ETSU dropped thier 3rd straight over in South Carolina in front of a whopping 287 fans. Yeah nothing like fall futbol to get the fans out, wonder how many ETSU fans made the short trip down to tailgate in the parking lot pregrame?

And it was another beautiful fall afternoon at ETSU with nothing to do or get excited about. No community, no fans, no students. No nothing.While across the state, every single other state university campuses busy with people, events, tailgating. ETSU alumni can toss frisbees and read poetry during fall semester.How did we allow them to even attempt to replace real football with soccer? Another Sickening Saturday for ETSU fans.
09-23-2012 10:51 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(09-23-2012 09:08 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  I see where ETSU dropped thier 3rd straight over in South Carolina in front of a whopping 287 fans. Yeah nothing like fall futbol to get the fans out, wonder how many ETSU fans made the short trip down to tailgate in the parking lot pregrame?

It's most likely due to bad road scheduling. The ETSU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics (you know, that's what they want to be called) needs to give us some good road trips into futbol land ---- some good tailgating destinations to, say, France, England, Spain, Brazil etc so we can get serious about this fall flagship sport at ETSU.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2012 12:31 PM by Buc66.)
09-23-2012 12:30 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

This board is the only place that indicates soccer is the flagship sport of ETSU or that it is a replacement for football. Neither of those statements are true. Who ever said soccer is the flagship? Clearly that's basketball. It was never a replacement for football either. It is a requirement of the ASun and happens to share the same competition season. You guys are the ones that made those inferences, but its not based in reality.
09-23-2012 01:31 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-23-2012 01:31 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  This board is the only place that indicates soccer is the flagship sport of ETSU or that it is a replacement for football. Neither of those statements are true. Who ever said soccer is the flagship? Clearly that's basketball. It was never a replacement for football either. It is a requirement of the ASun and happens to share the same competition season. You guys are the ones that made those inferences, but its not based in reality.

Really? hmm KSU a school moving up from Div II with absolutely no pull was able to say thanks, but no thanks to playing soccer while ETSU an established Div I school just 1 year removed from back to back NCAA appearances couldn't say no?
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2012 02:12 PM by RodShaw2.)
09-23-2012 02:10 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(09-23-2012 02:10 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(09-23-2012 01:31 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  This board is the only place that indicates soccer is the flagship sport of ETSU or that it is a replacement for football. Neither of those statements are true. Who ever said soccer is the flagship? Clearly that's basketball. It was never a replacement for football either. It is a requirement of the ASun and happens to share the same competition season. You guys are the ones that made those inferences, but its not based in reality.

Really? hmm KSU a school moving up from Div II with absolutely no pull was able to say thanks, but no thanks to playing soccer while ETSU an established Div I school just 1 year removed from back to back NCAA appearances couldn't say no?

If KSU did not have to start soccer then we also did not have to. It was what the president wanted. Yes he and the AD tried to promote it as a replacement for football. And the AD still is. Football used to be the fall flagship sport. Now they are promoting soccer as that sport. It has not worked and will not work but that was their plan. The entire minor sport model has not worked and has severely hurt the University. These things are correctable though and brand new leadership in the athletic department is needed.
09-23-2012 02:24 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

(09-23-2012 02:24 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(09-23-2012 02:10 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

If KSU did not have to start soccer then we also did not have to. It was what the
president wanted. Yes he and the AD tried to promote it as a replacement for
football. And the AD still is. Football used to be the fall flagship sport. Now they
are promoting soccer as that sport. It has not worked and will not work but that
was their plan. The entire minor sport model has not worked and has severely hurt
the University. These things are correctable though and brand new leadership in
the athletic department is needed.

You have hit the nail on the head once again. You have those clown's number. That tells the story of the sorry, ugly, dumb-ass ETSU athletic dept. Unfortunately, no changes have been made while rapidly approaching Dr Noland's first year. I believe that Dr Noland wants to elevate athletics. I have serious doubts, at this point, that football is in the mix for the foreseeable future, however.
09-23-2012 04:57 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

KSU is leaving. That's why they got away with it. And give me some actual evidence where soccer is being promoted as the flagship sport for ETSU? Same goes for actual evidence that soccer was a replacement for football. Not your own angry opinions, but some facts. A statement, a marketing campaign, a media guide, anything that says soccer is the flagship sport for the school and was added to replace football. I'm confident none of you can do that.

Again, clearly basketball is the flagship sport. This is clear from the exponentially higher budget, salaries, attention, etc given to basketball compared to any other sport at ETSU. It's not even close.
09-23-2012 05:32 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-23-2012 05:32 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  KSU is leaving. That's why they got away with it..

Huh? This was several years back, KSU was just coming in and moving to Div I. KSU wasn't leaving when they decided to not
add soccer they were just joining. Hey in 10,12 years or so we are going to leave this conference (haven't seen anything anywhere that has said KSU is leaving and has a place to go when they do but we will skip that) so we are going to tell them we aren't joining. I mean we are a Div II school looking for any conference that will take us so we can move to Div I, that gives US all the power, they will have to take us on our terms or else. 03-confused Makes all the sense in the world, thanks for clearing that us Letsgobucs. 03-lmfao
09-23-2012 07:34 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(09-23-2012 05:32 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  KSU is leaving. That's why they got away with it. And give me some actual evidence where soccer is being promoted as the flagship sport for ETSU? Same goes for actual evidence that soccer was a replacement for football. Not your own angry opinions, but some facts. A statement, a marketing campaign, a media guide, anything that says soccer is the flagship sport for the school and was added to replace football. I'm confident none of you can do that.

Again, clearly basketball is the flagship sport. This is clear from the exponentially higher budget, salaries, attention, etc given to basketball compared to any other sport at ETSU. It's not even close.

The goal is to make ETSU a public university in Tennessee again. To get back into the mainstream of college athletics and that means FCS football on our campus. It has nothing to do with semantics about the word flagship. It is FCS football.
09-23-2012 07:51 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(09-23-2012 05:32 PM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  KSU is leaving. That's why they got away with it. And give me some actual evidence where soccer is being promoted as the flagship sport for ETSU? Same goes for actual evidence that soccer was a replacement for football. Not your own angry opinions, but some facts. A statement, a marketing campaign, a media guide, anything that says soccer is the flagship sport for the school and was added to replace football. I'm confident none of you can do that.

So, as Kennesaw joined the league, they got out of adding soccer by telling the league that they would be leaving? You join and, at the same time, announce you're leaving to get what you want. That's one bizarre tactic. Of course when ETSU joined the league after getting the boot from the SoCon and in desperation, they said that they would be there forever and, thank you so very, very much for having us, we'll be thrilled to add soccer.

By default, soccer is the FALL flagship sport and, by default, did replace football. They might be dumb, but even they aren't dumb enough to try to outwardly market soccer in print as football's replacement. But wait, didn't Rod see gameday windsocks on the campus one Saturday before a soccer game recently?

Now, also by default, basketball is THE flagship sport, obviously.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2012 08:48 PM by Buc66.)
09-23-2012 08:06 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
I need a drink....
09-24-2012 08:56 AM
WingedWarrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Go Bucs!
(09-24-2012 08:56 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I need a drink....

I'll be happy to join you!
09-24-2012 10:48 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Perhaps one day, in the dome. During a basketball game.
09-24-2012 01:27 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
(09-24-2012 01:27 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Perhaps one day, in the dome. During a basketball game.

Jackie Mullins would have you in the Johnson City Hilton faster than you can say NCAA Division I-AAA if you tried to pull that.
09-24-2012 03:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

Yes, I'd love to talk about soccer here and get insulted and belittled and called a communist. Oh, man, I just brim with anticipation for that moment.
09-24-2012 03:44 PM
Advertisement

Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

(09-24-2012 03:44 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  Yes, I'd love to talk about soccer here and get insulted and belittled and called a communist. Oh, man, I just brim with anticipation for that moment.

Your point is totally valid. The result is less participation. The validity of this site is reduced. There should be respect for all views with one goal...to move ETSU ahead. I want football back...I believe it's coming. I will not take it out on any of the present teams. BTW...I love soccer.
09-24-2012 06:06 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(09-24-2012 03:33 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  
(09-24-2012 01:27 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Perhaps one day, in the dome. During a basketball game.

Jackie Mullins would have you in the Johnson City Hilton faster than you can say NCAA Division I-AAA if you tried to pull that.

She didn't stop me before, besides, I don't want to go to what she may call the Johnson City Hilton.
09-24-2012 06:52 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

But if you were to go to any state university in Tennessee, any state university and destroy the football program and then start from scratch, a soccer program, do you think you would get a different reaction? I think it would be equivalent or worse. They would not get away with it. The next few months are critical to reinstating football at our school. When it is I will go and watch soccer on my campus even though I cannot stand to watch soccer. First things first.
09-24-2012 06:52 PM
BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
(09-24-2012 06:52 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  When it is I will go and watch soccer on my campus even though I cannot stand to watch soccer.

I'm suddenly perplexed. Why did they go through the expense to build a soccer stadium? If they "replaced" football with soccer, why didn't they save all that money and just play soccer in the Dome? It would be cool . . . and warm in late fall. The fire marshall restrictions wouldn't even come into play, since soccer only draws 300 or so.

Other than Buccaneerlover saying "the dome blows for soccer" and calling it a "communist kick-Dome," I really can't think of why we needed another stadium when the Dome is perfectly fine. Just seems like a waste of money to have built a stadium soley designated for soccer.
09-24-2012 10:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.