Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Isnt it a great thing
Bookmark and Share
zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Isnt it a great thing
That we are debating who the best team is in the BEST non BCS conference in A'mrca?? How awesome is that. (Love to be BCS, no dice)

Oh yeah, best of luck to all heading down CUSA...

Z
09-18-2012 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
RE: Isnt it a great thing
It is strange.

Whats REALLY nice is that you are seeing more meida sources as well which I dont think has ever happened. The SBC is being talked about on all the major sports channels and in a POSITIVE manner.
09-18-2012 09:07 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
People in our fan base are no longer talking CUSA or Big East. We need to keep this up and take some folks down in MBB as well.
09-18-2012 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
It sucks for FIU. They jump ship just in time to realize the Sun Belt is on the rise and C-USA is on the decline. So, yet again they will be stuck in the worst non-AQ Conference in America.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 11:26 AM by Burn the Horse.)
09-18-2012 11:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

I Root For: FAU
(09-18-2012 11:26 AM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  It sucks for FIU. They jump ship just in time to realize the Sun Belt is on the rise and C-USA is on the decline. So, yet again they will be stuck in the worst non-AQ Conference in America.

03-nutkick 03-lmfao
09-18-2012 11:43 AM
MeanGreenEngineer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: North Texas
(09-18-2012 11:43 AM)NCowl Wrote:  
(09-18-2012 11:26 AM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  It sucks for FIU. They jump ship just in time to realize the Sun Belt is on the rise and C-USA is on the decline. So, yet again they will be stuck in the worst non-AQ Conference in America.

03-nutkick 03-lmfao

First off, I loved the SBC and am going to miss playing you guys. Geographically, CUSA is just too good of a fit to pass by.

As far as FIU goes, at least until 2020 the TV money for CUSA will be much larger than that from the SBC.

Will that change then? Only time will tell.
09-18-2012 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Vobserver Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-18-2012 12:43 PM)MeanGreenEngineer Wrote:  

03-nutkick 03-lmfao

First off, I loved the SBC and am going to miss playing you guys. Geographically, CUSA is just too good of a fit to pass by.

As far as FIU goes, at least until 2020 the TV money for CUSA will be much larger than that from the SBC.

Will that change then? Only time will tell.

You do not know this to be true. No one does. You know that it is more today... but you cannot possibly know what it will be like next year, let alone 8 years from now. Not only could networks change their minds about criteria; new networks could spring up, or new technologies that eliminate the networks altogether as a force in broadcasting/disseminating information.
09-18-2012 12:48 PM
Bench Warmer

(09-18-2012 12:48 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  You do not know this to be true. No one does. You know that it is more today... but you cannot possibly know what it will be like next year, let alone 8 years from now. Not only could networks change their minds about criteria; new networks could spring up, or new technologies that eliminate the networks altogether as a force in broadcasting/disseminating information.

Uh... yes I do. The current SBC/ESPN contract runs until the 2019-2020 school year. There is zero incentive for the network to re-structure this contract before then. Do you really think ESPN will be afraid of making the SBC (or CUSA or anyone else not in the AQ) so mad that they will refuse to re-sign with them?

I guess if the SBC was able to convince TCU or Notre Dame to become a football member, then they could command a new deal. But otherwise the current payout is in place until a new deal is agreed upon, which will happen in 2020.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 01:20 PM by MeanGreenEngineer.)
09-18-2012 01:18 PM
Vobserver Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-18-2012 01:18 PM)MeanGreenEngineer Wrote:  
(09-18-2012 12:48 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  You do not know this to be true. No one does. You know that it is more today... but you cannot possibly know what it will be like next year, let alone 8 years from now. Not only could networks change their minds about criteria; new networks could spring up, or new technologies that eliminate the networks altogether as a force in broadcasting/disseminating information.

Uh... yes I do. The current SBC/ESPN contract runs until the 2019-2020 school year. There is zero incentive for the network to re-structure this contract before then. Do you really think ESPN will be afraid of making the SBC (or CUSA or anyone else not in the AQ) so mad that they will refuse to re-sign with them?

I guess if the SBC was able to convince TCU or Notre Dame to become a football member, then they could command a new deal. But otherwise the current payout is in place until a new deal is agreed upon, which will happen in 2020.

ESPN does not own all SBC games, though..
09-18-2012 01:22 PM
Bench Warmer

(09-18-2012 01:22 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  ESPN does not own all SBC games, though..

ESPN is the 800 pound gorilla.

What exactly is your imagined alternative? FSN or youtube is going to sweep in and offer the SBC 10 million dollars a year for partial rights to games that ESPN has first choice on? Does that seem reasonable?

Look, while NT was in the SBC I always talked it up, now we are going to CUSA and of course I am going to talk it up. However, I am always going to hope that the SBC and the original football teams that with NT have a lot of success.

But look at the facts. The SBC signed a loooong term deal with ESPN while they did not have much value. Now that they have improved, they are still locked into that long term deal. Will they be able to get a better TV deal than CUSA in 2020? I don't know. But I do know there is little to no chance of their current deal improving over CUSA's deal in that time period.
09-18-2012 01:30 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
You guys were on your knees like a Kardashian sister praying that CUSA would send you an invite. You can buy all the propaganda bs that BTH is feeding you, but all I have to do is post a link to the thread on your board after the invite to show what FAU fans really feel about the move. I think the move will push FIU's athletic department to grow and expand at a quicker pace than what was happening in the SBC. In order to get the invite we renovated the arena, we enclosed the stadium, the baseball stadium was updated and now CUSA is demanding that we build a new track facility, we just bought a 2 year series with Bethune Cookman Collage (a Daytona Beach HBCU with a large local following) which will give us 6 home games and 7 home games in 2013/2014 respectively for about $600K. I think the increased competition of being with schools with higher budgets and profile will be good for FIU's entire athletic department. Oh, and the additional $$$ doesn't hurt.

Go F I U!

03-nutkick 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 01:49 PM by FIU Panther Fan.)
09-18-2012 01:44 PM
Advertisement

BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-18-2012 01:18 PM)MeanGreenEngineer Wrote:  

Thought it was pretty common knowledge that the changes in membership will allow the SBC to renegotiate. If the conference keeps putting on a good showing, I'd think it would most definitely increase the value of the contract and the chance at a profitable renegotiation.
09-18-2012 01:48 PM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

I Root For: FAU
(09-18-2012 01:44 PM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  You guys were on your knees like a Kardashian sister praying that CUSA would send you an invite. You can buy all the propaganda bs that BTH is feeding you, but all I have to do is post a link to the thread on your board after the invite to show what FAU fans really feel about the move. I think the move will push FIU's athletic department to grow and expand at a quicker pace than what was happening in the SBC. In order to get the invite we renovated the arena, we enclosed the stadium, the baseball stadium was updated and now CUSA is demanding that we build a new track facility, we just bought a 2 year series with Bethune Cookman Collage (a Daytona Beach HBCU with a large local following) which will give us 6 home games and 7 home games in 2013/2014 respectively for about $600K. I think the increased competition of being with schools with higher budgets and profile will be good for FIU's entire athletic department. Oh, and the additional $$$ doesn't hurt.

Go F I U!

03-nutkick 03-lmfao

On the contrary I was on the fence and saw pluses and minuses of both, so I did not care either way!
09-18-2012 02:11 PM
Bench Warmer

(09-18-2012 01:48 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  Thought it was pretty common knowledge that the changes in membership will allow the SBC to renegotiate. If the conference keeps putting on a good showing, I'd think it would most definitely increase the value of the contract and the chance at a profitable renegotiation.

That is why I said if Notre Dame joins the SBC the money will change significantly.

Think if it from ESPN's perspective, who has been added, or could be added, that would get the SBC money up in a SIGNIFICANT manner. The payout are very far apart now and I don't see anything happening to get them inline in this deal. There is no real incentive for ESPN to give out money it doesn't have to.
09-18-2012 02:14 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
Good for you, but unless FAU has only one fan, you, then my point still applies. Here's the link....

FAU fans "don't leave us behind"

(09-18-2012 02:11 PM)NCowl Wrote:  
(09-18-2012 01:44 PM)FIU Panther Fan Wrote:  You guys were on your knees like a Kardashian sister praying that CUSA would send you an invite. You can buy all the propaganda bs that BTH is feeding you, but all I have to do is post a link to the thread on your board after the invite to show what FAU fans really feel about the move. I think the move will push FIU's athletic department to grow and expand at a quicker pace than what was happening in the SBC. In order to get the invite we renovated the arena, we enclosed the stadium, the baseball stadium was updated and now CUSA is demanding that we build a new track facility, we just bought a 2 year series with Bethune Cookman Collage (a Daytona Beach HBCU with a large local following) which will give us 6 home games and 7 home games in 2013/2014 respectively for about $600K. I think the increased competition of being with schools with higher budgets and profile will be good for FIU's entire athletic department. Oh, and the additional $$$ doesn't hurt.

Go F I U!

03-nutkick 03-lmfao

On the contrary I was on the fence and saw pluses and minuses of both, so I did not care either way!
09-18-2012 02:15 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-18-2012 02:14 PM)MeanGreenEngineer Wrote:  
(09-18-2012 01:48 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  Thought it was pretty common knowledge that the changes in membership will allow the SBC to renegotiate. If the conference keeps putting on a good showing, I'd think it would most definitely increase the value of the contract and the chance at a profitable renegotiation.

That is why I said if Notre Dame joins the SBC the money will change significantly.

Think if it from ESPN's perspective, who has been added, or could be added, that would get the SBC money up in a SIGNIFICANT manner. The payout are very far apart now and I don't see anything happening to get them inline in this deal. There is no real incentive for ESPN to give out money it doesn't have to.

You can't have it both ways. 1) It can't be based on market size for CUSA, but that be no factor for the SBC. 2) What you, and the rest of these conferences chasing markets will realize soon enough is that the only thing that matters is winning. Hence, why I said if the SBC continues to have a good year, that is most definitely motivation for the SBC and ESPN to revalue the contract.
09-18-2012 02:17 PM
Advertisement

Bench Warmer

(09-18-2012 02:17 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  You can't have it both ways. 1) It can't be based on market size for CUSA, but that be no factor for the SBC. 2) What you, and the rest of these conferences chasing markets will realize soon enough is that the only thing that matters is winning. Hence, why I said if the SBC continues to have a good year, that is most definitely motivation for the SBC and ESPN to revalue the contract.

I'm not trying to have it both ways. I already said once the deal is up who knows what the payout for SBC vs CUSA will be. However, there is no incentive for ESPN to greatly increase the payout (and the CUSA payout is about ten times larger than the SBC payout, so it would have to greatly increase to be competitive) unless there is a huge increase in market/interest for the SBC. I just don't see that happening for any of the non AQ conferences.

Again. Why would ESPN give away money it doesn't need to? Do you really think by 2020 the SBC is going to be such must see tv that ESPN is going to have to outbid FSN/NBC/ABC/Al AJazeera for the rights?

The SBC payout may go up some, but it's not going to CUSA levels at least until the current contract expires.
09-18-2012 02:28 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys

Adding GSU and Texas State will give the SBC more money, especially because of the addition of the Atlanta and Austin markets. Given the recent success, additional income could be on its way just because of that as well.
09-18-2012 02:33 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(09-18-2012 02:33 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  

Adding GSU and Texas State will give the SBC more money, especially because of the addition of the Atlanta and Austin markets. Given the recent success, additional income could be on its way just because of that as well.

Right. That's what I just said.

And I'm not sure why MGE keeps referencing 2020. The contract can be renegotiated now, not only in 8 years. I never said that it would now be on par with CUSA. I said I could see it getting a bump. And, to answer your question, yes, I think we will be on par come 2020, as the "market realignment" fad will be shown the door, and the SB will come out as one the strongest players for staying tight, and winning ball games.
09-18-2012 02:38 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Oh man....
09-18-2012 02:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.