Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas State lands a 4 Star Transfer
Bookmark and Share
Cat79 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
Texas State lands a 4 Star Transfer
Breaking news: Bobcats will land a huge transfer (8/21)

Former Lago Vista and Houston Cougar defensive tackle Donald Hopkins (6-2, 270) was packed and headed to Butler CC in Kansas after the University of Houston officially released him to Wake Forest only. Not wanting to play his entire college career in North Carolina and that far away from family, Hopkins planned on playing for one season at Butler and transferring to any school that wanted him.

Catch Hopkins comments last week on the matter.
Hopkins talks about his future

Fast forward to this evening.

Hopkins appealed to the University of Houston late last week for a chance to enroll anywhere he wanted this season. The ruling came in late tonight that Hopkins won his appeal and is free to transfer. He wasted little time in making his decision and will transfer to Texas State immediately.

Hopkins now must be admitted academically into Texas State and officially enroll. He will redshirt this season due to his residency at Houston and have four years to play as a Bobcat starting in 2013.
08-22-2012 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
RE: Texas State lands a 4 Star Transfer
(08-22-2012 08:29 AM)Cat79 Wrote:  Breaking news: Bobcats will land a huge transfer (8/21)

Former Lago Vista and Houston Cougar defensive tackle Donald Hopkins (6-2, 270) was packed and headed to Butler CC in Kansas after the University of Houston officially released him to Wake Forest only. Not wanting to play his entire college career in North Carolina and that far away from family, Hopkins planned on playing for one season at Butler and transferring to any school that wanted him.

Catch Hopkins comments last week on the matter.
Hopkins talks about his future

Fast forward to this evening.

Hopkins appealed to the University of Houston late last week for a chance to enroll anywhere he wanted this season. The ruling came in late tonight that Hopkins won his appeal and is free to transfer. He wasted little time in making his decision and will transfer to Texas State immediately.

Hopkins now must be admitted academically into Texas State and officially enroll. He will redshirt this season due to his residency at Houston and have four years to play as a Bobcat starting in 2013.
We also landed a huge transfer from TCU. A three time starter who ran into some trouble of the field but no one is perfect. They both will play the interior D Line. We should be stacked at the Tackle/ Gaurd in 2013.
08-22-2012 08:43 PM
Fear The Frog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
Some nice pick up Cats....
08-22-2012 10:27 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Hope those transfers work out well for you. We hardly ever take any but just got a four star that transferred from Oregon. Some teams take so many, and so many with problems that you would wonder why.
08-22-2012 11:33 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

We usually get a couple but we've added more and jucos the last couple years to try to get to FBS speed and size a little quicker. Fill some holes until the newer recruits play a few years.
08-23-2012 08:44 AM
Advertisement

Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Nice add!

That was a weird bit about Houston only releasing him to Wake Forest.
What the heck was up with that?
That's sounds to me like just being bitter.
08-23-2012 08:57 AM
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
(08-22-2012 11:33 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Hope those transfers work out well for you. We hardly ever take any but just got a four star that transferred from Oregon. Some teams take so many, and so many with problems that you would wonder why.

We are recruiting the interior Dline hard. We have a few HS/JUCOs that will be part of the 2013 line up. Right now that is an area that needs depth. Especially if we plan to have a top 10 defense. Some one asked what model we are going to use to build our program. I'd say Fran's model which is the same one at TCU. Stingy defense with balanced offense.
08-23-2012 12:30 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(08-23-2012 08:57 AM)Dedsquirrl Wrote:  Nice add!

That was a weird bit about Houston only releasing him to Wake Forest.
What the heck was up with that?
That's sounds to me like just being bitter.
He didn't want him transferring to any school on their schedule this year....which is really weird becuase he'd have had to sit out anyway.
Of the schools originally recruiting him (that the UH coach would ok) Wake had an open scholly and offered.

I'm not surprised. Mack Brown does that at times, also. Even for TXST.
UT baseball coach hates to release anyone from their team that wants to transfer to TXST. Our CF for 2013 started at UT but left after the school year ended (a few yrs back) and schollies for the next hadn't been awarded yet.

It's not like another TX school allowing 1 player to go to San Marcos is going to take us to a national championship.
08-23-2012 06:06 PM
Cougar King Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
So much talent, I thought he was going to be a monster at DT.
08-09-2013 06:09 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

Yeah, it's ok if you have talent but it isn't enough.

Thanks for dragging this old thread back up, BTW.

Hopkins was not invited to Fall camp by the coaching staff and his scholarship was given to a freshman that was going to greyshirt. Rather have a kid that wants to play awarded it than a lazy butted super talent
08-09-2013 06:29 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Why would Houston only release him to Wake Forest?
08-09-2013 06:31 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
It is amazing how rarely big time transfers work out. Fool's gold.
08-09-2013 06:31 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(08-09-2013 06:31 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Why would Houston only release him to Wake Forest?

Why? At the time, different conference, not a threat to them, and couldn't hurt them in recruiting.
08-09-2013 06:46 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(08-09-2013 06:31 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  It is amazing how rarely big time transfers work out. Fool's gold.
Yendrey is on the team leadership council and will get NFL looks. Orakpo has taken the team on his shoulders and gets in the other player's faces when they mess up. He's going to get looks next year.
Barrick Nealy came from UH. He did ok for us. 04-cheers
08-09-2013 06:46 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(08-09-2013 06:31 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  It is amazing how rarely big time transfers work out. Fool's gold.

Like CatMom said, we've had some pretty good luck with transfers. Not all, but good enough to still look at kids wanting out of their situation.
08-09-2013 06:47 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

Good thing y'all just got five. But seriously transfers and JUCo guys really helped us get to fbs size and speed faster.
08-09-2013 09:53 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Do agree that it seems seldom that a highly rated transfer works out well.
Have seen it a lot over the years. School gets excited because of some four star
wanting to transfer into their school, then find out why they didn't work out well
at the last school. Some, not all, of those highly rated players have a feeling of
entitlement. That they do not have to practice as hard, or listen as well, because
they have natural talent.
08-10-2013 06:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.