Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Penn State sanctions
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Penn State sanctions
Athletic Department is fined 60 million dollars (1 years gross income of football)

4 year bowl ban

Loss of 10 scholarships per year for next 4 years Max of 65 scholarships given for life of penalty

All wins vacated from 1998-2011 No coaching record for Paterno

5 years probation

Ouch!
07-23-2012 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Penn State sanctions
IMO, not harsh enough. The Big 10 sanctions are yet to come. Hope they boot 'em from the league.
07-23-2012 08:50 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
It's 20 scholarships per year, not 10.

The good thing is that current players are eligible to transfer and play immediately for another school if they want to. Those kids had nothing to do with this scandal and shouldn't be punished for it.

Looks like Eddie Robinson of Grambling will officially be the leader in coaching wins...any collegiate level...again and that's fine with me. Penn State didn't fire Paterno until he got that last win to get the record and that wasn't right.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2012 09:07 AM by SOT1977.)
07-23-2012 09:04 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Big 10 to announce its sanctions at 11 ET today. Sources say they will be harsh, but will not end in expulsion.
07-23-2012 09:09 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(07-23-2012 09:04 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  It's 20 scholarships per year, not 10.

The good thing is that current players are eligible to transfer and play immediately for another school if they want to. Those kids had nothing to do with this scandal and shouldn't be punished for it.

Looks like Eddie Robinson of Grambling will officially be the leader in coaching wins...any collegiate level...again and that's fine with me. Penn State didn't fire Paterno until he got that last win to get the record and that wasn't right.

No, it's 10 per year .... 25-15=10. It is reduction of 20 scholarships from the allowable 85, not a loss of 20 per year.

So, right now they are at 85. They must initially drop 10 and then can only sign 15 each year, meaning they will operate at 65 for four years. Not a loss of 20 per year.
07-23-2012 09:20 AM
Shof Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
I may be in the minority on this. I have no problem with the financial penalty, the loss of scholarships, the bowl ban. But to take wins away from the student athlete PLAYERS is wrong! I get it. Send a very strong message. But those players who earned those wins were not the problem and taking it away from THEM was not necessary.
Just my 2 cents.
07-23-2012 09:21 AM
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(07-23-2012 09:21 AM)Shof Wrote:  I may be in the minority on this. I have no problem with the financial penalty, the loss of scholarships, the bowl ban. But to take wins away from the student athlete PLAYERS is wrong! I get it. Send a very strong message. But those players who earned those wins were not the problem and taking it away from THEM was not necessary.
Just my 2 cents.

in reality how does it actually impact a former players life?

are they called into the corporate office and told 'sorry ki-jana...we really liked you for the promotion but now that you don't have those football wins we want to go in another direction'

those players know they won the games. i doubt their phones are ringing from former opponents saying they won.

i'm glad the wins were wiped out. i wanted the death penalty. no football at all for at least 2 years. let 'em start out like south al did....from scratch.
07-23-2012 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(07-23-2012 09:21 AM)Shof Wrote:  I may be in the minority on this. I have no problem with the financial penalty, the loss of scholarships, the bowl ban. But to take wins away from the student athlete PLAYERS is wrong! I get it. Send a very strong message. But those players who earned those wins were not the problem and taking it away from THEM was not necessary.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree with them taking the wins away from their former HC, but would have been 'ok' with them leaving the wins on the record for the team.

One thing that may really hurt the team is that the current players can transfer without sitting out a year.
07-23-2012 09:34 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Im ok with everything done, and especially with them allowing all the Football players to leave without penalties if they want to.

Penn State Football should be (and has been IMHO) a non competative entitiy for the at least 5-7 years.
07-23-2012 09:41 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Michael Mauti to the Cajuns for his last year. I'm calling it now!
07-23-2012 10:00 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Wonder what the results of the B10's penalties will be!
07-23-2012 10:26 AM
Advertisement

TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
Well I guess Happy Valley now has the hottest recruiting ground in the nation over the past few years.

I wonder how many, if any PSU players wind up on SBC rosters this season?
07-23-2012 10:29 AM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(07-23-2012 10:26 AM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  Wonder what the results of the B10's penalties will be!

Looks like any bowl money they would have gotten for being a part of the Big 10 is going to charity.

And they aren't eligible for the Big 10 title for the same period as their bowl ban.

Not the death penalty, but pretty close.
They have pretty much made them FCS for the next 4 years.

And with the stigma that will surround them when the sanctions are over......
I double they will be competitive again for well over a decade.
07-23-2012 10:43 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Good move to not take them off of TV and Schedules. That would only hurt the teams that play against them.

I would of like to of seen the B10 cut them off of ALL revenue from the Big 10 Network as well. 13 Million is a lil low. They probably have a donor or 2 that can cut that check outright.
07-23-2012 10:52 AM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
Absolutely fantastic. The main goal here had to be to set an example for all of the other programs and it was carried out well I think.

By the way, what the **** is wrong with Penn State students? Are they all seriously mentally disabled? I've never seen a fan base handle anything so poorly. I mean, they might as well walk around with signs saying, "**** the kids, we want football."

Disgusting and such an embarrassment for that school on top of all of this.
07-23-2012 11:02 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
That fine should be paid directly to the victims in the lawsuit against Sandusky, or at least a group dealing with sexual battery of children.
07-23-2012 11:12 AM
Advertisement

Ohiofan23 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ohio and MAC
(07-23-2012 11:02 AM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  Absolutely fantastic. The main goal here had to be to set an example for all of the other programs and it was carried out well I think.

By the way, what the **** is wrong with Penn State students? Are they all seriously mentally disabled? I've never seen a fan base handle anything so poorly. I mean, they might as well walk around with signs saying, "**** the kids, we want football."

Disgusting and such an embarrassment for that school on top of all of this.

+1 full agree, I watched the interviews on ESPN and I was just amazed. One students saying "we will be back right after the 4 year ban and we will be better then ever..." yeah right, I'm willing to bet money that Indiana and Minnesota will be able to have their way with PSU for at least the next decade...

The way the students are acting is also proving a point to those that are saying this will not change the culture at all. Your right Paul they are basically saying **** the kids. If it was their kids or their little brother or sister I wonder what they would be saying....
07-23-2012 11:23 AM
adub4ever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: North Texas
i think the punishment was not severe enough... and watching the PSU zombie students defend the football program is ABSOLUTLEY DISGUSTING.... these P.O.S. Mofo's allowed the rape of inocent young boys for 11 years .... Penn St should have set out a year to let everyone cool down..... but seeing these rich kid PSU students complain about the ruling need to get a grip or be punched in the face.... Penn St is absolute garbage and will be for the next decade! Growing up as a kid in the 90's i was a Nitany Lion fan for the beautiful uni's and the lion logo, but now after this scandal and the actions of the students... I hate PSU with a passion and will root against them as long as i live. F off Penn St! Child molester U
07-23-2012 11:29 AM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
(07-23-2012 11:29 AM)adub4ever Wrote:  i think the punishment was not severe enough... and watching the PSU zombie students defend the football program is ABSOLUTLEY DISGUSTING.... these P.O.S. Mofo's allowed the rape of inocent young boys for 11 years .... Penn St should have set out a year to let everyone cool down..... but seeing these rich kid PSU students complain about the ruling need to get a grip or be punched in the face.... Penn St is absolute garbage and will be for the next decade! Growing up as a kid in the 90's i was a Nitany Lion fan for the beautiful uni's and the lion logo, but now after this scandal and the actions of the students... I hate PSU with a passion and will root against them as long as i live. F off Penn St! Child molester U

In all honesty, I believe this situation could have warranted the closing and scraping of Penn State's football program for all time.

They certainly do not deserve to have a program after seeing what lengths they are willing to go to in order to protect it. I think this was a good message but I don't hold punches when it comes to child rapists or their protectors.

In closing, I agree with you. **** Penn State.
07-23-2012 11:32 AM
adub4ever Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: North Texas
Penn St revenue of $53 million.... No wonder they were able to cover this up for 11 years..... Its all about money in this capitalistic society of ours..... On so many levels i hate Penn St. for what they did..... they deserve a hell of alot worse than what they got.... SMU lost their football program for paying players.... PSU got a slap on the arm for covering up the sodomizing young boys by an assistant coach petifile for 11 years???.... doesnt seem fair to me...

but the PSU students dont seem to think its fair because "we didnt cheat on the field"

actually PSU students you did cheat... you cheated the childhood out of 11 young boys....

F#!% your 4 years of college! F your statue. F all the former players who are bitching. I mean really what is important in this country??? I know.... its money and football. Pretty sickening.
07-23-2012 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.