Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another view of TV rights
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
Another view of TV rights
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-bl...full.story

ACC has led the SEC until recently, by as much as $2.5MM/team/year. Yet the SEC won. Further, the SEC is now rewarded for their wins. Sounds like the ACC should follow that formula and win games if they need a bigger payday. (Can you say 5 year look-ins?)
05-29-2012 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
RE: Another view of TV rights
Under the old SEC TV deal, far fewer games were under the umbrella of the SEC TV rights deals. If CBS, ESPN/ESPN2 or Jefferson-Pilot Sports didn't pick up a game, it either went without TV or schools could do PPV. ESPNU wasn't an option under the old deal. FOX RSNs were extremely rare (1-2 games/season max), Comcast wasn't an option.

Florida used to have at least two games on PPV every year, usually OOC. South Carolina might have 1-2 conference games on PPV per year in addition to one OOC game. Those revenues now show up in the SEC distribution where they were part of the schools' multimedia rights like an agreement with IMG for radio, signage and TV not picked up by the national nets.

So in some cases, money moved from one accounting bucket to another on the schools' balance sheets.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012 12:58 PM by mattsarz.)
05-29-2012 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wildthing202 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ND & BC
Interesting article I found on how people watch tv now-a-days

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/stor...55271632/1

"New research made available exclusively to USA TODAY shows how consumers are using tablets, smartphones, game consoles — and, yes, Internet-connected televisions — to devour live sports, network TV and cable fare. And most of this is happening during the same prime-time hours that were dominated decades ago by the major networks' over-the-air TV broadcasts.

Meet the new prime time. Same as the old prime time. What is changing is that smaller screens on mobile devices are being used at home more than ever expected. And, surprisingly, people are watching longer and longer videos on their mobile devices, even the smallest screens."

"ESPN is among the more than 1,000 global clients that rely on Ooyala to help power their online video, and it takes the findings to heart. If you already subscribe to ESPN through the likes of Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon or Bright House Networks, you can take advantage of the free Watch ESPN app on an iPad to watch the network's sports programming on the go.

"The way we look at this is about trying to serve sports fans whenever and wherever they are," says Damon Phillips, who heads ESPN's digital/Web video content strategies and product development. To Phillips, that means delivering programming, often live sporting events, to the "best available screen.""

ESPN3 isn't looking so bad now considering the raise in mobile device usage for tv shows.
05-30-2012 06:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I use ESPN3 all the time - especially when I can't catch the game live, because it's archived for months. Gives me something to watch SUN, MON, TUE, and WED nights!
05-30-2012 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.